MUST READS!

@field

ok thought i'd start this topic because i love reading good quality comics and graphic novels and i just wanna read all the great stories, im like galactus with his never ending hunger!

So whats some of the best stuff you've read, or would recomend?

Ok so obvious one to start, Batman: year one, fantastic book by frank 'look at my new fancy sin ciy film' miller. A good time to read it to with the batman film coming out, as theres a lot of overlap i believe

Preacher: After being bombarded with the surreal events in the first book, this series really pulls you in and makes you care about the three main characters and their exploits, pulling no punches in the process.

The Losers: i knew f all about this book before LFACC2, but i saw the the creators andy diggle and jock at the event and after speaking to them felt compelled to buy it. Its a great mix of political climate and blockbuster action and one of the best team books out in my view, crying out to be made into a film!

Finally V for Vendetta: do yourself a favour and read this now before the film comes out cus my money says it not going to be half as good as the orginal source material. A great look a facist britian where one person strikes against a big brother style society. Plus i just love the way the government department are named after parts of the body

'This is the voice of Britain, the eyes of Britian etc' very cool

• Like 1

well where do we start!!???

firstly my all time fav story in a comic has got to be the batman series from 93 knightsfall, knightsquest +knightsend. this is simply one of the most finely crafted storys i have ever read! amazing art work 9especially the covers) just a completley gripping story of how batman loses it all and eventually regains it. I would reccommend everyone go and buy this now! I liked batman year one but this wipes the floor with it.

Green lantern - emerald twilight - the passing of the torch from one green lantern to another. hal jordan going on a quest to revive his loved one only to end up as the power hungry villian he always despised!

ok thought i'd start this topic because i love reading good quality comics and graphic novels and i just wanna read all the great stories, im like galactus with his never ending hunger!

So whats some of the best stuff you've read, or would recomend?

Ok so obvious one to start, Batman: year one, fantastic book by frank 'look at my new fancy sin ciy film' miller. A good time to read it to with the batman film coming out, as theres a lot of overlap i believe

Preacher: After being bombarded with the surreal events in the first book, this series really pulls you in and makes you care about the three main characters and their exploits, pulling no punches in the process.

Preacher and Batman are wicked. Love Miller's work in general - the darker Elektra tales are a wicked twist on the Daredevil verse.

I'm more a Marvel than a DC girl (don't hate me <if that's possible :P> - lolz), so I GOTTA recommend Wolverine's Origin series. THE best Wolvie stroy EVER, and one of Marvel's best, in terms of overal quality. The pencilling and inking are unbeatably stylish, and the storyline is to die for. Wicked. Simply wicked.

origin3.jpg

Edited by Cher2a
  • Like 1

yes the wolverine story was pretty good!! i have some cool wolverine "what ifs" comics that marvel ran a few years ago! there is an especially good one where he is the leader of alpha force

Yeah, I love What If's :unsure: I'm going to get them aaaall... (I wish :blink:)

Ps. Oo, yay! I'm so pleased that the Comic Chatter section is moving at last - it was so quieeeet!

Edited by Cher2a

i really think they are must reads but here are a few comics i am enjoying reading

Fables i got in to this late so i am reading the trades i think this is one of the best comics out in a long time

Runaway Vol1 and 2 i just love the writer

Green Lantern:Rebirth i think this is a good intro to Hal and the Green lantern i just bought the new vol of Green lantern that is good

and Batman hush i think this is the best bat arc in a long time

sorry didn't know where to write this and thought this was as good a place as any!

has any read the stuff joss whedon did for xmen??? i usually like that comic but it wasn't too hot i didn't think!! i like buffy and angel and i think joss best stick to doing t.v and films and leave the comics alone!

saying that though i wasn't a big fan of green arrow when kevin smith was writing it for a while!

sorry didn't know where to write this and thought this was as good a place as any!

has any read the stuff joss whedon did for xmen??? i usually like that comic but it wasn't too hot i didn't think!! i like buffy and angel and i think joss best stick to doing t.v and films and leave the comics alone!

saying that though i wasn't a big fan of green arrow when kevin smith was writing it for a while!

Got any links to that? I don't think I've read it. Heard about it, though...

Edited by Cher2a

origin is a great book, really well done, good twist early on.

I started getting Whedons xmen but stoped ater the first story arc, no problems with the writing it was just that i had to cut down my comic book intake due to money constraints, plus never have really got into xmen.

Favourite comic im buying at the moment has to be new avengers, never liked avengers before but now they have all the big hitters on board i'm loving it, some good spidey comedy too :D

But still the best thing i've read for a while was the identity crisis series, fantastic! Never really read much JLA before, apart from some of my mates collection, but this was so grippy and so well done one of the best moment in comics was

************SPOILERT ALERT!!!!!!!!************

when batman and robin rush back to stop robins father from getting killed, hearing robin totally breakdown on the phone to his father, batman helpless to stop another boy becoming an orphan and that final page as bruce consoles tim, the mantle of the bat engulfs him while he mutters the words 'i've got you' powerful stuff

But still the best thing i've read for a while was the identity crisis series, fantastic! Never really read much JLA before, apart from some of my mates collection, but this was so grippy and so well done one of the best moment in comics was

yes very good !!

Lolz! Tempting

If you're offering..? Hehe!

yes please take them off my hands they are just gathering dust!!

HEhe - bring em to the LFCC

indeed i will gonna be there all weekend!! on my own on the sat but then meeting up with some friends from belgium on the sun! should be good! of course i will be introducing myself to everybody!!

:lol: See you there!

Edited by Cher2a

V For Vendetta

Batman - The Killing Joke

Batman - The Dark Knight Returns

Kingdom Come (good story, but mostly for the artwork)

and many others

Oh I almost forgot, Crisis On Infinite Earths

Edited by batsam

• 3 weeks later...

picked up batman: a death in the family the other day, imagining it would be quite good considering the impact it had on batmans character hence forth, i was quite wrong :blink:

so while enjoying seeing where this whole house of m thing goes and waiting for all star batman and robin to come out, i need to read a really good indie book to read, discovered a fantastic come book shop in camden near my work which has a great stock and actually looks a bit like a proper americian comic book store. I've read all the preacher series and im slowly building up my own collection, read random trades of hellblazer which was very good but i dont think i'll collect them all. Might give sandman a go. I read a mates copy of the first book in uni, i remember it to be the most chilled out comic book i'd read.

Any indy recommendations people?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

here are my pick for comic you need to read

Fables it just gets better

Daredevil the brubaker arc

Iron Fist

Shrugged is a must

Hulk Gray as a trade it rock loeb is so my fav writer

Sleeper

Zombies Vs Robots it has the best art i have seen in a long time

Edited by Nameless