Leslie Nielsen FYI

MikeDonovan

I met Leslie around the 2.30-3.00 mark and there was an issue with him signing some photos as there was a German guy who had about 8 and he would only sign 3 of them but they were all the ones provided by Showmasters for him to sign. I don't know what his reason for this was.

At this time as well they were going to take him off for a quick break but he decided to stay and continue signing. I met him a few minutes later and he did not seem quite with it as he was very confused and not making much sense when he was talking to me.

He was then taken for a break at which point I was told that he suffers from diabetes which no one realised and he had been given some biscuits about 30 minutes previously. I did see him return about 15 minutes later and he seemed more lively. I had also taken part in the photoshoot in the morning and he seemed very lively then so I think that it was just a temporary situation caused by him being ill.

You must have been in the queue with me then. I heard the german guy explaining to someone that he wouldn't sign the photos SM had provided also someone wanted a poster signed (can't remember the film) and there appeared to be an issue with that as well?

I got two autographs from Leslie yesterday I am not sure what he signed on my photo (unless I am having a brain donor moment which could well be the as I drank a lot last night lol) as I didn't ask for anything to be dedicated.

36648d79822253.gif

Edited by mightymax

Met Leslie Nielsen but only got two 10x8s signed as I was going to get him again after his talk but he didn't return. Didn't have a VT ticket and didn't need one - just joined the queue before they chopped it just behind me (for the day) and nobody asked. Nielsen was hard of hearing but friendly. I did overhear one of his handlers say he 'had a host of (health) problems' but he's in his mid'80s now so not a shocker. Not everyone is like Ernest Borgnine...

I heard it was a Poseidon Adventure quad that had a few sigs like Borgnine already.

And he wouldn't sign it? Anyone know what the issue was, out of curiousity?

Btw, the signing had to be aborted for health reasons this afternoon, with around 7 signers waiting, of which I was one. There was a group from Paris that had come over for him and Tippi. We got refunds.

I did see Leslie walk though the hotel lobby later in the afternoon.

Wow - I'm glad I got there when I did! Sorry you missed him Yahweh. It's the first time where I honestly regret not getting a gold pass. If a guest like Nielsen comes up again, I'll be getting one like a shot. Just not worth the risk.

The VQ tickets were handed out straight away from opening time at 9am

Actually, this is incorrect. I was there in the queue at 9am yesterday, and there were no VT tickets. These started about 9.30.

Apologies, you are correct. I had completely forgotten I went in and did a reconnaissance lap, then I got my photshoot ticket with Syliva before heading to the Leslie queue!

Thanks for highlighting my diminishing memory :angry:

Yesterday I was in the queue behind a guy who had a Posiedon Adventure dvd cover already signed by Ernest Borgnine and Leslie initially refused to sign it claiming he wasn't in the movie. His assistant politely pointed out he was in the movie - he was even credited on the back. He did sign it but refused to sign a Creepshow dvd cover claiming he could "not endorse it".

I have to say he seemed very confused, as anyone who attended the talk later on would testify. Some of his answers were pretty incoherent and rambling whcih was a shame as he seemed much brighter at the photo shoot earlier in the day. Whether it was tiredness or something else I couldn't say but he was clearly struggling.

[i waited around all afternoon, I thought id see him easy with that number so bought an 8x10 for him to sign, paid by credit card for a �25 autograph voucher, and waited more..Even though he was the only one I went for, I did end up meeting two others as I had the time.

They then closed his queue just before 15:30 at number 130 for his talk, and said he'd be back after. Went to find something to do for an hour, then went back just before 16:30 to see if people were queing yet, only to find written on the notice board "Closed: Back tomorrow!" :uhoh::headscratch:

I was only there for today as I have to work all day tomorrow, alas I never managed to meet him for an in person autograph :WINCE:

I did see Jason at the show about this and even he thought that Leslie would be back after the talk, but anyway its being sorted so I still can get an autograph, however its not quite the same as in person :(:chair:

[

Have a heart! The man had just been in the lecture and he was clearly confused and unwell. All credit to him for staying as long as he did to please his fans.

Edited by reddragon

Definitely was an honour to meet him. He tried his very best for fans over the weekend. As has been said not everyone who lives a long life can be like the incredible Ernest Borgnine (whose laughter from last year still echoes around the Hiltons corridors lol).

I went to the Sun photoshoot with Leslie. Glad I did as he was really 'himself' at that. Full of fun.

Like most people who went to the shoot experienced, he started chatting. With me it was more as I was about to leave. He said he'd enjoyed the weekend but didn't think he'd be back for any other shows. But he still wanted to come back for vacations.

Hope he is able to come back again though, esp if it was him and George Kennedy together. So that anyone who missed him would get a 2nd chance.

But if this was indeed the only time we get to see him then I really appreciate the efforts he made in difficult circumstances to make it special for fans. He tried his very best for us.

I saw him again just as I was leaving. Not sure of exact time but I guess it was 4.15ish. I'd just been to the bar/restaurant near to the foyer. Kenny Baker was in there too. Just as we were heading for the front exit Leslie was going into the restaurant area near the front windows in his wheelchair with his helpers.

I'm very glad that Autographica managed to get him as a guest, one of the best that I've met.

Like most people who went to the shoot experienced, he started chatting. With me it was more as I was about to leave. He said he'd enjoyed the weekend but didn't think he'd be back for any other shows. But he still wanted to come back for vacations.

Hope he is able to come back again though, esp if it was him and George Kennedy together. So that anyone who missed him would get a 2nd chance.

I don't think we'll see him back again, sadly, and given the status of his health it might be for the best. I'm just glad I got the chance to meet him. The saddest moment for me was during the talk, when he was rolling through a list of actors he worked with in the 50s - now all dead.

I saw that he refused to sign a Poseidon Adventure item - and then refused to sign something else that Ernest Borgnine had signed. He also refused to sign Creepshow, and then to cap it all refused to sign an official Police Squad DVD because "it wasn't a photo from the show - but something that the art dept had made up". At some point during this he actually stopped signing and refused to continue.

I was glad I had met him first thing in the morning.

What an absolute honour it was to meet Leslie - he's my favourite actor & I appreciate how lucky I am getting the oppurtunity to meet him.

I got sigs from him on Saturday with a VQ ticket (I was 1st in line just as he was returning from a short break.) Got 4 items signed - a Naked Gun DVD cover which he also inscribed 'Nice beaver' on,an Airplane! DVD cover which he also wrote 'Don't Call Me Shirley' on,& personalized photos from both the Naked Gun & Airplane!

A very nice man who shook my & Dad's hands before & after he signed,& he thanked us for coming.

He was also mumbling through the photoshoot & starting saying to me how the photoshoot background wall looked like there were people in it! ?

Went to his talk on Saturday & while I was just honoured to have been there,he did seem a tad forgetful (understandable considering he is 84!) Anytime he couldn't remember what the question was,he would just mumble something random like 'So,do you like basketball?' or 'Do you know the way to Denver?'.

All in all,an extremely pleasant man to meet,& I thank him from the bottom of my heart for coming over,& to SM for bringing him over.

Shane. :D

also very happy with the chance to meet Leslie, he was a fantastic

id also like to say how happy i am it was SM who ending up bringing him over as i doubt the people he was originally booked with would have helped him through the weekend in the same way

I don't think we'll see him back again, sadly, and given the status of his health it might be for the best. I'm just glad I got the chance to meet him. The saddest moment for me was during the talk, when he was rolling through a list of actors he worked with in the 50s - now all dead.

Yes sadly I think you're right. And afterall like I said thats what he mentioned directly to me. Just wishful thinking on my part that he may return. Totally understandable if thats the case. Wish we could have had him first come over a few years ago then we may have had a few visits from him by now. But as has been said above, at Autographica in particular it feels amazing just to be in the same room as older heroes who we may have thought we'd never get a chance to even see. Sometimes sadly it is a one time only chance. I remember Jason saying on here many times that with any guests at any SM show, if you want to meet them its best to grab the chance as they can never guarantee a return visit. Very glad I did that with Leslie.

id also like to say how happy i am it was SM who ending up bringing him over as i doubt the people he was originally booked with would have helped him through the weekend in the same way

Couldn't agree more. I was thinking about that on the way home yesterday. I've been to the show he was originally going to do a few times and it can be quite an ordeal even meeting younger stars there. Now that we've seen Leslie in person I'm very glad that he didn't have to go through what would almost certainly have been a very difficult experience there. Tony Curtis had to leave early on the Sun there last year, and I think its safe to say Leslie would have found that setting to be even harder than Tony did.

The more relaxed atmosphere of Autographica is definitely the better show for stars who may have a few health issues. Everyone seemed very caring with Leslie which was great to see. Just as they've been before with Tony Curtis and George Kennedy (2 stars I'd love to see back at Autographica) and others. They treat our heroes with the respect that we want to see.