Messages to friends

linbrikat

OK, thanks. Another question then - would it be possible to mention a convention that's being run by a different organisation than Showmasters as I know some people here might be interested in it, or is that forbidden?

• Moderators

Directly from the Guidlines and Rules post:

R3: Not mentioning or referring to other events and organisations!

Not naming or referring to other events is a standard rule across all event forums.

You have to understand that SM is a business and this forum does cost money to run and is a big investment. SM have built up one of the biggest show forums in the UK. It is frequented by a very large number of event attendees and so is a very large advertising platform. Advertising other events can take money away from Showmasters and so please do understand why as a company they do not wish for other events to profit from their forum.

I'm sorry if this seems selfish to you but honestly why should SM allow others to profits from their forum? Let's say one day someone (not even a Cineworld employee) came along and put up a sign on the front of your home advertising a new Cineworld cinema. The sign being there isn't costing you anything, your wall was already there, why shouldn't they just use your wall? Because at the end of the day it is YOUR wall and you would expect them to have at least asked you first, and to be honest paid you to use your wall! Well this is SMs wall and in the same way as you'd at least expect someone to ask you to put up that sign, they are asking that you get their permission to put information about other companies on their wall. No it doesn't cost them anything directly, the forum is already here, but it is still their forum and so they have the right to say what it is and isn't used for.

R3.a: How much information is too much!

This is the big grey area. Let me clear this up.

Names and website are obviously not allowed. Posting links to websites and forums that then link on to other events site are not allowed. If you are mentioning guests names and location then this is also too much.

In simple terms if you are entering enough information that someone else can find the event you are talking about on Google (or any other search engine), then that is too much.

R3.b: What can I mention!

To make it fair and for it to be possible to enforce we have to make it a blanket ban and so the simple answer is, no organisation or event not affiliated with SM, no matter where it is. Showmasters have the right to decide if they wish for any other event or organisation to be advertised in anyway on their forum, whether it is a direct competitor or not.

We will obviously use common sense and not ban the naming of all organisations like, the post office or TA.
The reasoning behind saying it is a blanket ban is that there can be no complaint if an organisation name is removed. It's easier to say, the rule is nothing and common sense is used rather than try and list all the things that are and aren't allowed, I am aware this allows a grey area.

This rule is mainly to stop the naming of or referring to events and organisations that are competitors to SM and it's sponsors. But we still reserve the right to remove the names of any organisation or event SM feel they don't wish to have mentioned on their forum.

The following are not an issue as long as they are not being run by a direct competitor of SM - book signings, concerts, premiers and plays.

R3.c: What if I want to know about other events or tell others about them!

Forum members are obviously not owned by Showmasters and therefore do have a right to know about other events. By no means am I suggesting they don't, and if you wish to go on to non-organiser specific forums and inform other people of these other events, you are free to do so. Or if you wish you can swap email addresses and send information that way, again this is fine, we just ask that threads do not turn into a long list of "Send it to me too!" posts.

^I've found some users from this forum on social medias like Twitter, Tumblr or Facebook. Sometimes they post links to images from events so from there it's quite easy to find a new platform to send private messages. (I realise that sounds a little bit stalkerish, so I must stress that this should only ever occur with their consent.)

• Like 1