Guest cancellation - Catherine Munroe

showmasters

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems all a little bit too good for you guys. You've got a small struggling con that's only patronized by background extras, and to boost up sales you pull out a name like Munroe. Bingo! You've got an instant boost to your revenue by this announcement. Then at the very last minute you pull her out the lineup. Something just stinks about this because there's no explanation as to why she can't make it or anything....

Edited by SithLord

At almost every convention there are cancellations....nothing wrong with it as people can get sick for instance or have other reasons why they can't make it.

It seems to me that every time someone cancels (I am talking about EVERY convention all over the world) they just say: "(name) can't make it", sometimes followed by "because he/she is (very brief explanation of just a few words)".

Things like this can make people suspicious....like SithLord for instance.

At dutch event where I was working we had this solution: one of our guests cancelled because he had been offered a role in a new movie.

He sent a fax (signed) in which he explained it to the fans.

We scanned this fax and posted it on the forum so everyone could see the cancellation was 'legit'.

Using this method no one was 'flaming' us. They still were sad, but understood our position and that we could do nothing about it.

Maybe all other events should use this method too?

Edited by theThinWhiteDuke

This seems all a little bit too good for you guys. You've got a small struggling con that's only patronized by background extras, and to boost up sales you pull out a name like Munroe. Bingo! You've got an instant boost to your revenue by this announcement. Then at the very last minute you pull her out the lineup. Something just stinks about this because there's no explanation as to why she can't make it or anything....

Damn, she was the reason for my coming over... Since my Eurostar Ticket is non-refundable, I have no choice but to come over for these few guests... Pity.

Shame on you two!

SithLord, Is ED a struggling con? I think its providing a good service since its been on 3 times this year.

By background extra you are demeaning the guest list? I assume you'd prefer Prowse and Baker et al? Also, since when is any of the major cast interested in a convention, in another country, and even if they were would all be available for the same day?

Without the major cast members interested and the serial convention suspects not invited, that leaves what you term 'background extras'. Dont forget that some were only extras in Star Wars and are now actors/stuntmen in other projects, some were crew members at Lucasfilm and now crew members on other projects.

Its well known the Star Wars autograph circuit was dire and fans needed new names, now we got them and you complain!

Bounty Hunter, I recall you stated before that we have been spoiled in the past and I should be happy with 'only' 7 guests. I gather from your comment above you are not happy yourself.

I actually dont see why everyone was pining for only Catherine Munroe anyway, sure she was a great background character and wore a mask, does that make her any more important than other guests who did exactly that? Some didnt even wear masks and some have their own figures too, like 2 have this weekend.

If I were a guest and read these rude posts, I would cancel too. Shame on you.

moan, moan, moan... I expected nothing more from the likes of you SithLord.

I'm slightly confused by the boosting of sales comment though. That only works if money has been exchanged, which it hasn't and wouldn't have until Sunday,

You know it's really not fair of you to knacker a hoary old conspiracy theory by pointing out some basic facts :poki:

and even then it would only have been a quid for the entry.

let's be fair - could be a fiver for the early birds!

Granted somebody who has got a non-refundable rail-ticket from Belgium is going to be rather stuffed, but it hardly coins it in for SM, does it?

(For anybody who does have non-refundable travel tickets that go via central London and aren't that interested in the show any more, I guess they have the option of spending the day in London instead. I dunno, do some touristy stuff, or look round Forbidden Planet. Just an idea to make the best of things).

moan, moan, moan... I expected nothing more from the likes of you SithLord.

So you're suddenly an expert on me? How nice, but I've never met you before.

SithLord, Is ED a struggling con?

I'll admit struggling was a poor word to pick, but you still sort of get the idea.

By background extra you are demeaning the guest list?

No, it's the truth. Look at when they made their appearance.

Dont forget that some were only extras in Star Wars and are now actors/stuntmen in other projects, some were crew members at Lucasfilm and now crew members on other projects.

None of the people listed for this weekend's show fall into that category.

I actually dont see why everyone was pining for only Catherine Munroe anyway, sure she was a great background character and wore a mask, does that make her any more important than other guests who did exactly that? Some didnt even wear masks and some have their own figures too, like 2 have this weekend.

Two words: Bounty Hunter. That's one thing that immediately bumps up interest. The next thing is: Rarity, that too bumps up interest even more as she's been sought after and couldn't be located. Also some of us do have a budget to live by, so we be picky about who we want to pay to sign our items.

If I were a guest and read these rude posts, I would cancel too. Shame on you.

Wow, if you can't take "these rude posts", then you wouldn't be able to handle the cons for sure.

Edited by SithLord

Damn, she was the reason for my coming over... Since my Eurostar Ticket is non-refundable, I have no choice but to come over for these few guests... Pity.

Shame on you two!
WTF?! I think most people would be pretty pissed if they bought a non-refundable Eurostar ticket and the guest pulled out after just a few days of being announced!! Bounty Hunter has a right to be upset and have a favourite guest that he prioritised...maybe he's met the others already. Edited by nicky

I just don’t really understand the reason for this forum; if you’re not inviting both praise and criticism.

Where I live; thankfully remains a place of free speech:

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers. wikipedia

I’m not arguing here for or against this issue; but I don’t understand why this forum is policed so anybody displaying any form of 'negativity' is instantly set upon by senior forum members.

The guys clearly unhappy; doesn’t he have a ‘human right’ to express those feelings [regardless of if they are right or wrong] anymore?;

• Moderators

Now your guys just have to come up with a surprise guest!

Use your contacts and make it up to us true fans!

I think we all know that it's not that easy unfortunately. They don't really have anything to 'make up for' to start with, as cancellations can always be expected, plus it's not as simple as automatically replacing a guest with someone else. If it were that easy, we'd never have any problems at any events really. And whether you are 'true fans' or not doesn't really matter.

Organisers can have all the contacts in the world - that doesn't change availability of guests etc. These cancellations are part of how signing events work, and it's much better to be realistic with expectations. We all take a risk by planning to attend shows.

How about, and this is only a positive suggestion; before I’m set on too…

Showmasters instead of saying ‘sorry this guest cancelled’…. offer an alternative.

A simple one would be to arrange to get signed photos, and sell them through the website at a discounted rate [after all it was the guest who cancelled] .

Just an idea… :wub:

How about, and this is only a positive suggestion; before I’m set on too…

Showmasters instead of saying ‘sorry this guest cancelled’…. offer an alternative.

A simple one would be to arrange to get signed photos, and sell them through the website at a discounted rate [after all it was the guest who cancelled] .

Just an idea… :wub:

Nice idea

As mentioned before these events barely (if ever) make a profit and JAson does them because it's what he's interested in. The likelyhood would have been that her auto would only have been £10 anyway and if they can get her to a future event then surely that's better than getting her auto through the post?

Guests cancel - these things happen and whilst it doesn't help the likes of bounty hunter who is a dedicated fan and collector it's to be expected nowadays

and before I get lynched I don't work for or crew or even care that much about showmasters but welcome to the real world - things happen that we don't like, let's not dwell on it and get on with our lives at the end of the day it's anly an autograph!!

As mentioned before these events barely (if ever) make a profit

Woah! Woah! Woah! … hold up there; what’s this about barely making a profit?.

I don’t believe that one second; lets just get our calculator out here [and I’m not being negative, I’m just speaking as I see it]

Taking an average of 30 guests per event;

The top 10 stars can sign 400 autographs a day; for 3 days… at 15 pounds

That’s 18.000 per guest.

That’s 10 x 18,000 = 180,000 for all 10!

Add 20 lesser know stars at say 200 autographs a day; for 3 days; charging 10 pounds

20 x 200 x 10 x3 = 120,000 for all 20!

My figures have been a little bit ‘low’ but I expect that the event in Milton Keynes has gross turnover of well above 300,000; I assume that Showmasters take a pretty hefty slice of this pie at around 30-50%;

That’s 90,000 – 150,000; from which, they have to pay a bit of tax; a few flights; a hotel bill; a bit of advertising; and rent a hall.

It seems somebody’s making money!