58 replies to this topic

#21 timelord81r

timelord81r

Special Effects Co-ordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

At DSTL in 2012, the TOS bridge was behind the scenes with a large window so you could see through and big 'no photos' signs (which most people ignored).

I quite liked the open bridges, when it was quiet you could take a couple of pictures.

The poor crew were hoarse with telling people not to use flash photography (non-flash was fine), the problem is that people either didn't listen, chose to ignore, or are unable to switch the flash off on their cameras and just kept going.

yep which is why it needs to be enclosed or at the very least like they did it in 2012

First convention LFCC 2009

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour."

"The quest for the grail is not archaeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the earth"

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought!"

#22 andy1701e

andy1701e

Runner

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

I bought the lieutenant package and for me I feel it was a waste of money considering what you got I wish I had paid seperatly for things, this was my first proper Star Trek convention as I have mainly done comic cons. I hate to say as some staff I felt let the power go to their heads and some seemed overwhelmed. For me Terry Farrell was awesome and I have to agree with the previous comment on how she dealt with that silly question. Got a chance to meet and talk to a few of the actors and shook their hands. Also Nicole De Boer was a delight as always and she even remembered me so I implore SHOWMASTERS TO TRY AND BOOK HER FOR Cardiff Con as she wants to attend.

Also the floor space could have been utilised more with more merchandising stands or props and where was the gaming zone. For the 50th anniversary it felt as if in certain areas they couldn't be bothered. Forgot to say Armin Shimmerman what a true warm and friendly gentleman to talk to and absolute delight.

The one thing I will say I have made great friends there and memories that will last forever as it was nice to meet people who were so great and I thank the organisers for that.

#23 Brodnick

Brodnick

Grip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

I was able to get both George and Wil's on Saturday (one of the advantages of getting the VQs straight away).

It's not really showmasters fault - it's down the guest about how much time they spent talking to the attendees and some were very slow signers.

The longest I had to wait in a queue for an auto was Max Grodenchik who talked to everyone, not that I'm complaining - he is a lovely man.

#24 Count Fooku

Count Fooku

Composer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

I've heard a lot about this question that was put to Terry Farrell, sadly I missed that talk because I was in another one, I suspect it won't bear repeating word for word but could anyone give a general sense what the question was about?
"You might very well think that, I could not possibly comment"

"Got a rabbit to pull out of your hat Percy? You've got that 'Britain-can-make-it' look about you. Very intimidating."

#25 ruth76

ruth76

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

A man basically asked her whether she'd enjoyed kissing her wife on DS9. I suspect the issue was more with the leering way in which he asked it, than with the question itself! 

#26 Count Fooku

Count Fooku

Composer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

Yep, I can see how that could be a creepy question, from what I saw of her over the weekend, he clearly misjudged what sort of person she is!
"You might very well think that, I could not possibly comment"

"Got a rabbit to pull out of your hat Percy? You've got that 'Britain-can-make-it' look about you. Very intimidating."

#27 Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Grip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

Couple of things I'd like to add. All of the negatives were completely blown away by just how amazing the guests were. Considering many must have had some jet lag and were then expected to do 2 or 3 long days, you could be forgiven for thinking they may be a shade jaded, but not a bit of it. They all seemed bright and bubbly, and although you may think that's what they get paid for , it can't be easy to do the job so well.

George and Walter (as I have mentioned) were absolute LEGENDS, esp Walter. For instance, Walter did a 40 minute talk, then within 5 minutes he was back at his desk signing autographs. Then he was back doing a talk with George for another 40 minutes, and to my astonishment within minutes he was back at his autograph booth. This was after 5pm on the Sunday, when many seemed to have finished. I don't think he was doing it for the money, I think he was doing it for the love of Star Trek.

I also thought it incredible that the guests didn't have photos on hand to be signed. Crazy that you had to go to a vendor for your picture, then to the guest to sign it. Unless here was some kind of deal between the two, the actors and/or the organisers lost out on easy revenue.

• andy1701e likes this

#28 Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Grip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

I was able to get both George and Wil's on Saturday (one of the advantages of getting the VQs straight away).

It's not really showmasters fault - it's down the guest about how much time they spent talking to the attendees and some were very slow signers.

The longest I had to wait in a queue for an auto was Max Grodenchik who talked to everyone, not that I'm complaining - he is a lovely man.

Think it was Maz doing the bridge shots on TNG. They weren't whizzing through them like with Bill Shatner, as he was putting on a show. Longer wait (but shorter queues). I would never mind waiting longer when the experience was that memorable.

Like I said earlier, if I go again, I'll get shots with Gowron , Max and a double with George and Walter as they looked like they were all having lots of fun. I don;t regret getting up close for my photo-shoot with Bill though.

#29 Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Grip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

A man basically asked her whether she'd enjoyed kissing her wife on DS9. I suspect the issue was more with the leering way in which he asked it, than with the question itself! 

I think it would have been a good idea to get people in advance to pose their questions to stewards so that nothing was duplicated and no awkward ones were asked. That way you would know who was going to ask the questions (they seemed to get a bit confused where the mike was going).

Is that not the way these things are normally done?

#30 Piskie

Piskie

Runner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

It was awfully awfully organised.

Got there, and asked three people where to go before getting the correct answer, apparently everything was at hall 4, glad i trusted the con goers and not the staff.

9am saturday.... three people total dealing with entrance. That was it. Waited about 40 mins in the line, then another 20 to get a wristband because they'd 'run out'....... and a guy came back with an emergency handful while they went and 'found' the rest. Then spent more time queuing to get in..... 
Wristbands shouldn't be anywhere but where they are going to be putting them on people. Simple.

Huge lack of stands, although you were okay if you wanted star wars t shirts, bags, or even a huge variety of sunglasses......

No gaming area. At all. None existent, and a giant shame because the last one was wonderful.

The tv / chill out area was 6 bean bags and adverts, no trek at all...... The last one was showing episodes, and had two screens with much more space. It was genuinely relaxing. 

Klingon zone..... some banners and picnic tables. Utter let down. 

Talks were okay, only if you were seated in the middle. Otherwise there was a huge amount of sound problems, and that continued into the party. 

I won't go to any more organised by the company..... which is a huge shame because the people were amazing. I had a good time, unfortunately despite all the issues. I love trek. I love seeing the stars and getting pictures. If this is the only option we have in the UK?..... I'm not going to another one. 

#31 Aaron2029

Aaron2029

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

Yep, I can see how that could be a creepy question, from what I saw of her over the weekend, he clearly misjudged what sort of person she is!

The guy asked her if she felt comfortable about kissing another woman which many in the audience found to be rather insulting.  Imagine someone asking William Shatner today if he felt comfortable kissing a black woman.  Terry's answer was incredible.  She was asked twice not to answer the question, but she stood up and demanded to answer it.  She spoke from the heart and her voice was almost breaking with emotion.  The audience cheered and I found a new respect for Terry.  She is a strong person in body, mind, and emotion.  I later thanked her when I got her autograph.  It was hilarious during the DS9 talk because she dropped the F-bomb and when Garrett Wang told her off, she looked at us, and looked at him, and just said a string of F-bombs one after the other and the audience roared with laughter.  Fantastic guest.  Terry was the best.

Edited by Aaron2029, 10 October 2016 - 07:14 PM.

• MLP*, eightieskid83 and andy1701e like this

#32 XIII

XIII

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Oh man, I momentarily forgot about that string of f-bombs, oh so funny. 

Even took the time to apologise to the children 

I would love if they put the talk videos online, just so we can enjoy them again, even if its just the free ones

Its all fun and games for the #epic2017 year. 

#33 Aaron2029

Aaron2029

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

The guy sitting next to me was filming most of it.  Other people were filming as well.  Might see it on social media soon.

#34 bandcat

bandcat

Assistant Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

Overall I managed to get a lot more than I expected autograph wise. All the guests were fabulous!!

My main issues:

1) my package said that I would get auto priority and put as near to the front as possible, which seemed to be the back of the queue - also the included prop shoot with the package wasn't very mobility accessible - I needed someone to help me on and off the set and my mum(who is in a wheelchair) could not have the shoot at all

2) as I have mobility problems the lack of chairs anywhere in the hall was a big problem as the fact that with the mobility form I was told I wouldn't need to queue for more than 5 minutes which again wasn't the case - I struggled especially on saturday will the length of queues and standing due to the lack of chairs. I must admit the staff did their best to find me a seat but it wasn't always possible

3) the lack of eating/drinking facilities without having to exit the hall was a problem.

4) the distance between some of the prop shoots meant that trying to get a wheelchair anywhere near was almost impossible

This being said I did have a great time !

• Daniel_Baker likes this
Facebook : http://www.facebook....hp?id=683516557

Twitter: @bandcat

#35 ruth76

ruth76

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Despite the criticisms in my previous post, I must say that overall I really did enjoy the event and was sad when it finished.

The photoshoots all ran well for me, despite people crowding round unnecessarily, although it probably helped that all but one of my tickets were batch 1.

I thought the queueing for the Enterprise stage worked well and the staff managing the queues were friendly and efficient.

The crew member with pink hair who was at Terry Farrell's autograph table on Sunday was delightful!

I loved the Rat Pack on Saturday, but was forced to leave an hour into their set because my feet couldn't cope with standing anymore - more chairs were definitely needed!

And I think that's about it! 

Edited by ruth76, 11 October 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#36 robmoriarty

robmoriarty

Assistant Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

My thoughts and feedback to SM/ME:

The Good
Guests: all were absolutely fantastic, I can't particularly say I have a bad word about any of them. They were so enthusiastic when ever I came anywhere near them, patient with me in the photo shoots as I had to reverse my chair and chatty in the autograph area too.

Staff: whilst there were a few oddballs, 98% of those I came across had boundless energy and really helpful whenever I need them to be. Almost every time my extra help form took me to the front of the queues as needed. However I must point out there were some visitors with extra help forms without wheelchairs (i.e. hidden disabilities) who were not given such preferential treatment when they should've been. All SM/ME staff should have sufficient disability awareness training to know anyone with one of those forms need to be treated exactly the same as anyone else with this pass, to do so differently is unfair discrimination. By all means be stringent with your vetting process for who gets these forms in the first place, so staff know anyone carrying one at the event absolutely deserves the extra help they need.

Talks: this time around I paid for the TNG and DS9 talks, both of which were utterly fantastic and excellent value. I was pleased to see that you have learned from the previous event and reduced the prices on these, it entices more people to think about buying them and thinking they are good value for a sneak of exclusivity and not just yet another money making exercise. The free talks were a little more haphazard if I'm being honest. In 2014 there was a greater consistency to them across the whole weekend, this time I really enjoyed the Two Daxes and Next 50 years sessions on the Voyager stage.

Photo shoots: a great improvement on last time in my opinion. There was some disorganisation initially in the queueing areas, but once everyone got into a rhythm, from what I could see they ran much better. The process of going through felt better as well. I appreciated this time round staff taking photos off the printers were quality checking them to make sure we as the paying customers were happy with them. If they were not sure they were asking each of us to double-check and/or suggesting we go back round for a reshoot. The quality of all of my prints was far better, no missing edges on the backgrounds, poor lighting or anything else that affected shots in 2014.

The Not So Good
Dealer Stalls/Museum: For the size of the hall available, the Ferengi Zone was tiny. It was easy to walk around in 10 minutes, and if you were there for all three days you would very quickly become bored of it. There was room for double the amount, I see no reason why there couldn't have been more in attendance, unless there was something going on behind the scenes we are not aware of.

Lack of Seating: Whilst this wasn't an issue for me with my wheelchair, it's obviously something I'm acutely aware of. My poor PA had to run around all weekend after me, so can certainly sympathise with anyone else on here complaining there was insufficient seating around the hall for general use. This seriously needs to be planned for at future events, you are inviting people of all ages to attend these. Old and young may need somewhere to rest briefly, or those with families.

Chillout Zone: Blink and you missed it. When I went past this on the first day I thought "4 beanbags and a TV maketh not a chillout zone". Even by Saturday they were only double the number of beanbags, woefully insufficient for the number of visitors. No I am not expecting 10,000, but a similar size chillout zone to the one in 2014 would have been more than acceptable.

The Ugly

Event Planning/Build Up: it seems the organisation of this event was very much last minute. Many of us were left in the dark for weeks or months on end with no updates or communications from SM/ME. This has all been said before on here and I'm not going to go on about it in detail again. But for each event there has to be a dedicated contact and a strategic plan for releasing information leading up to event on a far more regular basis so that general excitement levels can be maintained and built on leading up to the event and fewer people disappointed or even not bothering attending at all. 

No Gaming Zone: This was advertised on the website as being there, but when we arrived there was nothing, not even an explanation. The rumour quickly went around no-one was willing to pay the high fee for a stall. If that is anywhere near true then SM/ME seriously need to think about why they are doing this and whether they really have the fans interest at heart, particularly on the 50th birthday of such an iconic series.

Sales Desk: On the busiest day of the weekend, this was an absolute joke. There was only one card machine for 10,000 potential customers and it took you until the following day to get two more card readers. There were still queues with three current machines but at least they were moving far quicker. I had to spend 90 minutes on the Saturday waiting to get autograph vouchers as I had been informed beforehand the card payments would be accepted at the autograph tables when in fact it turned out that they would not and we'd need vouchers first or cash. Please make this information transparent on your website well in advance next time please.

Goody Bags: If you know how many package tickets you have sold, it is an absolute crime not to have sufficient numbers of bags there on the very first day. Making people wait even for a day is not on, saying things either were not ready or fell out is unacceptable and should be prepared in advance for the numbers you are expecting to turn up at the beginning of the event.

Borg Chamber/Klingon Sets: Their positioning made it look as though they had been stuck there as the biggest afterthought in the history of afterthoughts. The Borg chamber might as well have been stuck right next to a urinal it looked that out of place. For such a celebration of the series you could've at least try to dress up the surrounding area and included some external lighting around them to give it more of an atmospheric effect irrespective of whether SM/ME have tasked another company to provide the sets or not.

Admiral Packages: I didn't realise this but apparently the Admiral packages, despite already paying £3000 each, STILL have to pay for any special photo combos they want on top of that - how can that be right? Even adding up all of the individual items within an Admiral package, I cannot understand the business case made behind charging in addition to what is ordered already an extremely high fee. If SM/ME are treating them like royalty, treat them like royalty - don't milk them even further at the same time.

Conclusion

If you had a package deal or knew exactly what you were going in for like I did with a plan for the whole weekend, the event was a success. I have been planning for ages, I knew exactly which talks I wanted to go to, which autographs and photos I wanted to get, which guests I wanted to meet etc. I got all of that I am thoroughly happy with my experience and the amount I paid for it. 

However, I don't feel I would've got my value for money from the event if I was just there for either one day or a general three day admission without paying for extras. For all of the reasons above SM/ME seriously need to look at anything after the good points and improve on them dramatically.

There was a hell of a lot of good at this event, but also a lot of not so good which is why I can understand why some people have some serious complaints they are making, particularly if you look a SM/ME's business accounts and query behind-the-scenes practices. This can often lead many individuals we are well aware of to wonder if these events really are FOR the fans or not. I won't detail as it's not my place and I don't want to get in trouble. 

But it is an issue of perception. If SM/ME are willing to take on board all feedback (recognising I have acknowledged much good about the event too) and improve where needed, there will be far more people willing to pay the prices charged, and fewer will complain about it if everyone really is getting true value for money.

My thanks to everyone who has put their efforts into the event.

Here endeth my sermon.

Edited by robmoriarty, 12 October 2016 - 06:29 PM.

• bandcat and andy1701e like this

Have met: William Shatner, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Marina Sirtis, Gates McFadden, Levar Burton, Wil Wheaton, Terry Farrell, Alexander Siddig, Armin Shimmerman, Nicole de Boer, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, Robert Duncan McNeill, Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo, Garrett Wang, Connor Trinneer, Dominic Keating, Chase Masterson, Vaughn Armstrong, Alice Krige, Richard Arnold, Keegan de Lancie, Daniel Stewart.

#37 Raylenth

Raylenth

I'm a lady, you see!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

Sales Desk: On the busiest day of the weekend, this was an absolute joke. There was only one card machine for 10,000 potential customers and it took you until the following day to get two more card readers. There were still queues with three current machines but at least they were moving far quicker. I had to spend 90 minutes on the Saturday waiting to get autograph vouchers as I had been informed beforehand the card payments would be accepted at the autograph tables when in fact it turned out that they would not and we'd need vouchers first or cash. Please make this information transparent on your website well in advance next time please.

Sorry about the negative stuff Rob, but I am curious about the auto thing:  we did say in a thread specifically about paying for the auto's, that you commented on, that was raised before the event, that if you wanted to pay with a card, you had to do it at the sales desk and were given vouchers to use in the queue.  Don't know who told you otherwise but it must of sounded more official :smile:

You are correct though that the FAQ doesn't have anything about it and it probably would be helpful to list that next time.

Potato

#38 robmoriarty

robmoriarty

Assistant Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

Sorry about the negative stuff Rob, but I am curious about the auto thing:  we did say in a thread specifically about paying for the auto's, that you commented on, that was raised before the event, that if you wanted to pay with a card, you had to do it at the sales desk and were given vouchers to use in the queue.  Don't know who told you otherwise but it must of sounded more official :smile:

You are correct though that the FAQ doesn't have anything about it and it probably would be helpful to list that next time.

Hmmmm, maybe my memory was wrong. Still the transparency of info in the FAQ is key. Had I known it was going to work this way around I'd have purchased all my photos on my credit card and saved my cash savings for the autographs instead.

Other negative stuff is largely what I've picked up from others too - as I said I was more than busy enough with my wishlist to enjoy the event, but I want everyone to enjoy it. I'm hoping it's taken as constructive nitpicking by SM/ME, not an outright complaint. I feel I got absolute value for my money.

My only other point goes back to the build up. It would be preferable if we as customers had the option to upgrade photos etc if we wished as we've been able to at previous events. I don't quite get why this wasn't allowed this time, but surely if you had a cut off date X days after all shoots have been announced or some such specifically for swaps, you're actually increasing your chances of taking in more money than simply restricting everyone to their first choice, particularly if the Eventbrite platform is handling orders? Just an idea.

Edited by robmoriarty, 11 October 2016 - 05:53 PM.

Have met: William Shatner, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Marina Sirtis, Gates McFadden, Levar Burton, Wil Wheaton, Terry Farrell, Alexander Siddig, Armin Shimmerman, Nicole de Boer, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, Robert Duncan McNeill, Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo, Garrett Wang, Connor Trinneer, Dominic Keating, Chase Masterson, Vaughn Armstrong, Alice Krige, Richard Arnold, Keegan de Lancie, Daniel Stewart.

#39 MLP*

MLP*

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

However, I don't feel I would've got my value for money from the event if I was just there for either one day or a general three day admission without paying for extras. For all of the reasons above SM/ME seriously need to look at anything after the good points and improve on them dramatically true value for money.

I agree that if you just paid for convention entry and nothing else then it was poor value for money. Unless you watched the talks on the two free stages then there was really nothing else to do. You could walk round the rest of the convention area in half an hour because there was hardly anything in it.

There are lots of angry posts on the Facebook page from people who fall into this category.

This was definitely a show where you needed to plan in advance exactly what you wanted to do and then pay for those options. The problem was that the lack of any real information until a week before the event made it very hard to do this.

I bought my tickets a week before the event as soon as the talk tickets went on sale. So I was happy with it as a day out because I got exactly what I paid for.

• DrBungle likes this

#40 robmoriarty

robmoriarty

Assistant Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

However, I don't feel I would've got my value for money from the event if I was just there for either one day or a general three day admission without paying for extras. For all of the reasons above SM/ME seriously need to look at anything after the good points and improve on them dramatically true value for money.

I agree that if you just paid for convention entry and nothing else then it was poor value for money. Unless you watched the talks on the two free stages then there was really nothing else to do. You could walk round the rest of the convention area in half an hour because there was hardly anything in it.

There are lots of angry posts on the Facebook page from people who fall into this category.

This was definitely a show where you needed to plan in advance exactly what you wanted to do and then pay for those options. The problem was that the lack of any real information until a week before the event made it very hard to do this.

I bought my tickets a week before the event as soon as the talk tickets went on sale. So I was happy with it as a day out because I got exactly what I paid for.

Precisely, for a 3 day entry, separate day entry for a friend, 5 talks, 15 Photos and 15 Autographs I got a lot out of my money - But boy did it take some planning/converting the timetable to a spreadsheet format for clashes etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users