233 replies to this topic

#221 Count Fooku

Count Fooku

Composer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

I've a feeling someone said something in here to the effect that Jason said see you in two years at the end of the event on Sunday. In some ways that timing might be quite sensible, by then, hopefully Discovery will be established so we might be seeing a fresh influx of guests next time round.
"You might very well think that, I could not possibly comment"

"Got a rabbit to pull out of your hat Percy? You've got that 'Britain-can-make-it' look about you. Very intimidating."

#222 gwynatlarche

gwynatlarche

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

Ty for the quick response. So it's looking likely for october

#223 gwynatlarche

gwynatlarche

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

I just hope the dates get announced sooner next time. I was very lucky to get my annual leave sorted this time but could do with dates for 2018 being announced late 2017.

#224 Annick

Annick

Camera Operator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

Sooner as last time? I found this very early already..

2012 was the first email in March..

D.S.T.L. 2012 was Great and Unforgettable!

Saw Kate on stage during the Captains Talk.
Had my Photo taken with her on Saturday.
And visited her Talk on Sunday

And last but not least: received her beautiful autograph on Sunday.

#225 Four Lights

Four Lights

Runner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

I hope if we're getting another DSTE in two years they go back to the NEC . This was the first UK convention I went to, and that was largely due to hotel prices not being crazy in Birmingham and journey times from the North being reasonable.

#226 Annick

Annick

Camera Operator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

Honestly, I hope they go ack to London again. Haven't visiting this con, but London is more central for those who come from outside the UK.

About the hotelprices, I heard several people said that prices were actually quite high. But I guess that depends on where you want to stay...

D.S.T.L. 2012 was Great and Unforgettable!

Saw Kate on stage during the Captains Talk.
Had my Photo taken with her on Saturday.
And visited her Talk on Sunday

And last but not least: received her beautiful autograph on Sunday.

#227 Four Lights

Four Lights

Runner

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:56 PM

I know London is obviously more well known abroad, but the NEC has Birmingham International Airport right next door to it.

Seems pretty accessible from outside the UK to me.

I also got a hotel room for £35 a night in the city centre at the Ibis Budget there.

Those sort of prices in a central location would be impossible in the capital.

Edited by Four Lights, 18 October 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#228 gwynatlarche

gwynatlarche

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Agreed. The nec has an airport on its door step and plenty of places to stay in the area. It's central to all in the uk so benefits those from both the north and the south.

#229 Tony1975

Tony1975

Locations Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yes keep it at the NEC. There is a lack of SM events in the Midlands as it is!
I have met -
TV/Film: Adil Ray, James Marsters, Nicholas Brendon, Kristine Sutherland, William Shatner, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Bobby Clark, Peter Mayhew, Jamie Kennedy, Nick Frost, Lee Majors, Neve Campbell, Warwick Davis, Juliet Landau, Anthony Head, Hannah Spearritt, Shane Ritchie, Jessie Wallace, John Challis, Paul Barber, Roger Lloyd Pack, Craig Fairbrass, Ulrika Jonsson, Jacki Piper, Valerie Leon, Sally Geeson, Margaret Nolan, Fenella Fielding, Shirley Eaton.
Wrestling: Ric Flair, Adam 'Edge' Copeland, Rob Van Dam, Gail Kim, Ted Dibiase, Kane, Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio, Hulk Hogan, Jimmy Hart, Rusev, Lana, Sheamus, Amy 'Lita' Dumas, Mickie James, James Storm, Magnus, Bubba Ray Dudley, D-Von Dudley, Velvet Sky, Big Daddy.
Football: Paul Gascoigne, John Barnes, Peter Beardsley.

Wish List -
Simon Pegg, Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, Eliza Dushku, Nichelle Nichols, Quentin Tarantino, Mr T, Dirk Benedict, Dwight Schultz, Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, Cheryl Ladd, Lynda Carter, Lou Ferrigno, Big Bang Theory, Police Academy, The Goonies, Land of the Giants, Bates Motel, The Walking Dead, WWE stars, Liverpool FC 80s to present.

#230 AnyaWilcara

AnyaWilcara

Runner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

For me London is nearer, but i would prefer it to be Held in the NEC, Birmingham again. Much cheaper than London and calmer.

#231 Jamesmd85

Jamesmd85

Continuity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

NEC definitely works for me. Airport, trains, buses on the doorstep of the NEC with numerous hotels closeby. Let's hope for a return to the NEC.
  • geordi likes this

#232 Jamesmd85

Jamesmd85

Continuity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

NEC definitely works for me. Airport, trains, buses on the doorstep of the NEC with numerous hotels closeby. Let's hope for a return to the NEC.

#233 robmoriarty

robmoriarty

Assistant Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

NEC was fab for me, just need to fill out the hall/decorate more to make it feel less like an aircraft hanger somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Have met: William Shatner, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Marina Sirtis, Gates McFadden, Levar Burton, Wil Wheaton, Terry Farrell, Alexander Siddig, Armin Shimmerman, Nicole de Boer, Kate Mulgrew, Jeri Ryan, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, Robert Duncan McNeill, Ethan Phillips, Robert Picardo, Garrett Wang, Connor Trinneer, Dominic Keating, Chase Masterson, Vaughn Armstrong, Alice Krige, Richard Arnold, Keegan de Lancie, Daniel Stewart.

#234 Paranoid Marvin

Paranoid Marvin

Grip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hotel prices were only crazy if you wanted to stay near the venue; over £200 for a basic room in an average hotel is really not on. Tbh staying near the NEC was only really needed for those wanting to party 'til late, and even then a taxi into Birmingham city centre wasn't exhorbitant. - Far better to get a city centre hotel for £80 with a £20 taxi fare than a £250+ room in  the NEC/airport hotels.

There could have been more done to make the interior appealing; as amazing as the bridges were , there needed to be more. Having said that,the cost of doing so to such a large hall would have been pretty expensive, so I can see why this wasn't done, but still disappointing, The only other thing they HAVE to get right is more traders - this is almost an attraction in itself, and I was very disappointed with the turnout. Let them pitch their stalls for free, or just charge them a nominal fee - better than having loads of empty space, and I'm sure a lot of fans went awy feeling disappointed that they couldn't buy more merchandise. Like I said , for the organisers this is a FREE attraction so definitely 'could do better'.

As for where it is, I don't care as long as they put on a good show. There are very few places in the UK not far from a motorway, train station or airport, and with advance planning accomodation can be got for reasonable prices,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users