Thematic Packs

I have been thinking about this since I came back from LCFF14.

It is my understanding that many people go to Cons to see the stars of a given favorite movie/series (apart from other guests), so how about offering a "pack" of photo-ops/signings with some or all the guests from a given franchise?

I see this can be accomplished in one of two ways, mostly. First, as simple "bundles": e.g., "Game of Thrones photo bundle" or "GOT signing bundle". Essentially, these will combine photo-op tickets and/or autograph tickets for all/some of the guests at some discount (just like buying a 3-day entry pass is cheaper than buying them separately). Logistically, this option won't add much complication, as no different tickets would be needed.

On the other hand, since guests get announced up until the very last days, it would make sense to offer the packs once at least 4 or 5 guests are officially announced. If more guests are announced, there could be an additional pack (e.g., "AGOT pack A" for the first batch of guests announced and "AGOT pack B" for the latest).

A second option would be a more "immersive" experience, and may include "group photos" (imagine, if you will, a photo with two or three Dr. Who guests in a Tardis set; like an expanded double-prop-shoot). I understand there are lots of issues with actors wearing costumes from the shows (both legal and personal), but I'm sure everyone would love to have a photo with his favorite actor/actress as X. (Incidentally, "costumed photo-ops" would be indeed another great possibility to study.)

Just my two cents here! What do you people think?

• Like 1

The problem with that idea, is that many regular convention goers will have already met at least one guest within the bundle and won't want to spend their convention budget on those guests again. So it rewards people who haven't been before with a discount to see everyone from that fandom. I'm also not sure what the incentive would be to SM as it gives a kind of bulk discount to people that would otherwise have just paid full price anyway.

As you say, many people may have already have met one or more of the guests in the bundle, and it does look more appealing for new attendees. However, the way you can position this is: we are giving you a 10 pound discount if you buy this bundle, which would retail in the 150 range. 10 pounds equal to 1 supporting cast member, which is a nice incentive. So, besides newcomers, this may be interesting for the most budget conscious attendees. Even if one would want to meet all guests from a given franchise, maybe they could not afford them all, so every incentive is interesting (e.g., imagine a person who was thinking about spending 150-175 pounds on AGOT photo-ops. If they see a bundle at 200 they *may* consider spending the additional money to get the "reward".)

Nevertheless, a perhaps more ideal setup would involve a "make your own bundle" option, something along the lines "if you buy 200 pounds (whatever makes sense financially for Showmasters, and depending on the price of the guests, of course) worth of photoshoots/autographs from X show you get a 10 pound credit towards some other guests from that show, or get a "free" prop photo-op (e.g., Emperor's Throne) or even an entry ticket for one day. These may reward people who spend a big amount on a single franchise.

Finally, to limit (if necessary) the diluting impact a 5-10% discount or a "free" prop photo-op/entry ticket may have, bundles should also be limited to, say 500 people on a first come, first served basis, rewarding early purchases.

Essentially, the point is: if you can invest a little more in your favorite franchise so that you reach the "bundle price theshold", you'll be rewarded. :smile:

i like the idea of group tickets for e.g. lord of the rings or stargate. I'm a regular con goer but still haven't met all the cast of the lord of the rings or the hobbit. if i was to go and all those attending were ones id not met then id definitely buy a bundle. the problem is guests being announced till the last min and guest cancellations. what they could do is a ticket that you get a voucher and pay for it on the day that way it takes into account announcements and cancellations. also these bundle tickets should not come on sale till 4 or more people the the particular TV show/movie are announced.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the posts. Yea, it would work, but like many people have said, say you have a power rangers pack with say Austin St John, Steve Cardenas, Walter Jones, Johnny Yong Bosch etc, I'd be interested, but depending on who was added, I'd say "meh, I've met them got their autos etc".