Hotels and Travel to Elstree Studios

jael001

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to plan my trip from Kings Cross to Elstree & Borehamwood. Google is useless and keeps telling me the journey takes about an hour. That can't be right? Can anyone tell me the train i need to get from Kings Cross and how often they run, and when they run to at night? Thanks

I'm just trying to plan my trip from Kings Cross to Elstree & Borehamwood. Google is useless and keeps telling me the journey takes about an hour. That can't be right? Can anyone tell me the train i need to get from Kings Cross and how often they run, and when they run to at night? Thanks
A quick query at the National Rail website shows a journey time of 34-42 minutes, depending on the time.

This link should let you amend the times to suit your requirements, http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/time...050512/1918/dep

The train goes from St Pancras International Station and not Kings Cross itself, although they're linked. That may be why it's showing you that? Not sure.

The train takes approximately 25 minutes if it's a slow train, less time if it's a fast train. Alternatively if you are using the Northern Line, take the underground to Kentish Town and pick it up there, it's a bit easier than Kings Cross/St Pancras.

If I'm checking journey times and train times I use http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ and not nationalrail which I think is a completely useless website, and since these are "local" trains and not national ones I think it doesn't always have the correct information. Use the journey planner on tfl.gov.uk and put in the originating station as ST PANCRAS INTERNATIONAL and the destination station is ELSTREE & BOREHAMWOOD to check the times but basically trains run about every 20 minutes though, you dont need to pre-book them, in fact I dont think you can book a specific train, the price is covered by a normal One Day Travelcard up to Zone 6.

Probably get the one day travel card on Friday/Saturday but on Sunday we are heading back up to Preston on National Express from Victoria. Seems to be rail problems on the Sunday for some reason. I'll have to check the journey from Elstree to Victoria. Thanks again for the advice.

By the way, what time are people thinking of turning up on the day? I don't want to miss anything!

To get from Elstree to Victoria, take the train to St Pancras International and then hop on the Victoria line from there. Just make sure to check beforehand if there are any engineering works as sometimes lines or stations are closed.

With regards the One Day Travelcard, I've just checked and it's basically the same price (10p difference) between getting a One Day Travelcard for zones 1-6 and a single from Elstree to Victoria so you're better off getting the Travelcard just in case you have to break your journey.

superb. Thanks. Just booked two nights at the Borehamwood Premier Inn. Looks ok and not a bad price for a double room

We're staying there to on the fri/sat (trying to book now but having technical problems lol) as our other options are either full or too far away!

does anyone know when the event opens as its quite close now and i don't recall anything being said so far!

• 2 weeks later...

You will need to take the underground from Waterloo to either Kings Cross St Pancras or Kentish Town and then get the First Capital Connect to Elstree & Borehamwood station.

This map has both the tube and train lines shown. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/lon...ervices-map.pdf Elstree & Borehamwood is right at the top of the map in box 1C.

Sorry I didnt add that one to the list of hotels I originally posted, it's not one I ever think of as it doesn't stand out, it's above a pub, but it is probably the closest to the Studios and next door to Tesco. Hope it's good.

As it is now confirmed that there is no parking at the Studios, I've priced up the pay and display parking at The Venue (sports centre close to the Studios):

up to 1 hour - 50p

1-2 hours - £1.00

2-3 hours - £1.50

3-4 hours - £2.00

4-5 hours - £3.00

over 5 hours - £5.00

Blue badge holders - no charge

Motorcycles - no charge

The charges are the same at the Brook Road car park.

Edited by jael001

I've just marked the 2 nearest pay and display carparks on the Google map, they're the 2 with the blue markers, the one on Brook Road (the left hand one) is the Brook Road/Meadow Park car park and the other is the car park for The Venue and the Civic Offices (entrance on Elstree Way next to the Ibis Hotel). The Studios are at the bottom centre of the map. Both car parks are a 5 minute walk from the Studios.

4d524ed6.jpg

Edited by jael001

So that I know for next year, was there any information that I didn't provide that people wanted to know, or anything you found I didnt get quite right? Hopefully for next year I can make a comprehensive post about travel, parking, food, hotels etc for everyone.

Also, while I think of it, does anyone have any particular comments about the hotels that I can add to the info, since I've obviously never stayed at any of them since I live local? Were they convenient, any issues with parking (do any of them charge for parking and if so how much), hotel food, facilities, distance from the studios etc.

Edited by jael001

I travelled by train from Leicester and stayed two nights at the Premier Inn in Elstree.

The journey from Kings Cross to Elstree was about 20/25 minutes as mentioned in previous posts. It's about a 25 minute walk from the station to the Premier Inn hotel.

I was in a double room which was quite big and roomy overlooking the car-park. It had a flat screen TV with Freeview channels and the usual coffee making facilities. The WC/Bathroom was also quite big and roomy.

Breakfast is self service with a choice of cereals, fruit and yogurt etc plus a full English. The breakfast room gets quite full by 7.30 but i think they extend it to bar tables if it gets full but i was out by then.

Can't fault the hotel at all but i would have stayed at the Ibis first because it's nearer but was fully booked up when i looked.

Did anyone stay at the Elstree Inn B&B which is above a pub?

I managed to park in Tescos more or less all day. I did a brief 30 min break at the hotel around 12.30ish, so within the 4 hour limit I read about, although couldn't see any reg counter thing at that place, plus I parked elsewhere in the carpark on my return.

Strangely it seemed very different to what I was expecting, judging from the latest Google earth images..

Oh how I'd have loved to watch the reaction to the folks in Obi Wan costume etc as they possibly walked from the station through a Saturday crowd on the main street.. If you're coming in costume next time.. drive, or take it packed away in a case you'd be able to walk around with all day.. and change on-site..

That's interesting about parking at Tesco, although I wouldn't recommend anyone else try that as I have seen them patrol, but that may be mostly around Big Brother time when they have big "no BB parking" signs up.