Mp3's

youell

I don't know if Showmasters have ever done this or thought about it, but I think it would be really cool if they recorded the talks they are holding and provided them either online or on a memory stick for those that attend so they can listen to them again and again. Whether you pay for it or its part of a 'package.' Similar to how if you go to a concert now, in some cases, you can get the entire live concert you went to on CD or mp3 download.

Just a thought :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

At least at SM and ME shows the talks are not recorded - in the bigger talk areas there IS a camera, but it's literally just feeding to the screens, it's not recording.

As Wrong Name said, for the talks to be recorded and released would require legal agreements with all of the guests that this would happen, and you can bet that they'd be a lot more careful with their answers if so. (And I don't know about anyone else but I've often found the most interesting things in talks are the things you really suspect they weren't supposed to say...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would we be allowed to film during the talks? I don't mean on professional equipment but just on ordinary cameras or phones for our own use? I know at some cons its allowed and others its not, depending on the guest.

I also assume its ok to take photographs as long as flash isn't used?

• Moderators

Would we be allowed to film during the talks? I don't mean on professional equipment but just on ordinary cameras or phones for our own use? I know at some cons its allowed and others its not, depending on the guest.

No filming is allowed at all. And yes, still photography is fine without flash.

No filming is allowed at all. And yes, still photography is fine without flash.

Thanks Etmuse :)

• Moderators

I've read some place that you have to switch off any sounds that cameras can make while making photos (all those beeps or fake shutter sounds)

While we have never had an explicit rule saying so, yes, you should turn any noises off. Unless you actually WANT every single person sitting within earshot of you in the panel to hate you...

• Like 2

I think it's just common courtesy to have things on silent, including mobile phones.

I was at one con and someone behind me was talking on a phone during a guest talk!!! She would not shut up despite everyone glaring at her. She was with her son, probably just accompanying him and not interested in the guest but that's no excuse for spoiling for others.

I'm not very good with camera's and the one I have isn't anything special so I've borrowed one from my sister as well as a back up. I'll probably try and take a few pics with each and hope to get a few decent ones. I'll practice with them this weekend and try and turn all the sounds off and learn how to turn off the flash - if my camera still makes noise it won't be because i'm being rude or inconsiderate, just that I can't work it!

It doesn't say your camera can't make noise, just that you need to turn off any sounds that CAN be turned off.

As long as you aren't taking shot after shot, a dslr's clicky shutter noise shouldn't bother anyone around you. And if you are taking shot after shot, you probably aren't going to enjoy the panel much anyway.

• Moderators

The main thing is really to be considerate of the people around you when taking photos - whether that's the noise from a camera that by its very design makes some noise (like a DLSR) or having a camera held above you the entire time and spoiling the view for the people behind you! By all means take photos, but consider if you really do need 800 photos of someone sitting in a chair holding a microphone...

• Like 1