Sci-Fi Speed Dating

SirGeeksalot

I've seen a few things online about conventions in the US having speed dating events and I'm wondering whether Showmasters have ever considered such a thing over here?

It actually looks like it could be a good laugh - I saw online that one couple formed after the guy impressed the girl with a wookiee impression (so that's where I've been going wrong)! lol It isn't taken too seriously, of course, but it could be fun. Plus it would be great for someone like me who managed to scare yet another date off recently by telling her that I enjoy going to cons like LFCC (seriously - you wouldn't believe the number of "what a shame - you seem like such a nice guy" comments I've had after talking about my passion for sci-fi, comics and conventions).

I'm off to practice my Chewie roar now... ruuuaaaarrrgggghhh! Ladies - restrain yourselves! ;-)

- G

• Like 4

I've seen a few things online about conventions in the US having speed dating events and I'm wondering whether Showmasters have ever considered such a thing over here?

It actually looks like it could be a good laugh - I saw online that one couple formed after the guy impressed the girl with a wookiee impression (so that's where I've been going wrong)! lol It isn't taken too seriously, of course, but it could be fun. Plus it would be great for someone like me who managed to scare yet another date off recently by telling her that I enjoy going to cons like LFCC (seriously - you wouldn't believe the number of "what a shame - you seem like such a nice guy" comments I've had after talking about my passion for sci-fi, comics and conventions).

I'm off to practice my Chewie roar now... ruuuaaaarrrgggghhh! Ladies - restrain yourselves! ;-)

- G

Judging from your avatar, you're taken... unless you're planning on cheating on Dina, if so then don't let Casper know...

- G

Judging from your avatar, you're taken... unless you're planning on cheating on Dina, if so then don't let Casper know...

Despite all her protests it was just never going to be. She said "Gord, you're so smart, funny and ruggedly handsome - let's run away together to the US" and I said "sorry Dina, but England needs me!". You know how it is.

- G

• Like 1

I think speed dating would be fun. Even if you aren't single just doing it for fun or even just to make friends with someone with similar interests would be good.

I think they'd have to do a separate one for people that aren't single or at least get them to wear a badge or something - imagine going on something like that and then finding every person you speak to there isn't single!

- G

Crew are still allowed to take time out of their shift to get involved in the activity they are crewing aren't they?!

Of course not. Crew sign up to worked hard and not given any free time. The satisfaction they get from their back breaking labour is the smiles on all your faces at the end of the day when you leave the venue with your photographs.

I think speed dating would be fun. Even if you aren't single just doing it for fun or even just to make friends with someone with similar interests would be good.

WHAAAAAT?? Why on Earth would you need a (speed dating) event to do that?? Just talk to people in a normal way at the con or on THIS FORUM. YES, you can do that!

As for the speed dating event, why doesn't the OP or someone set it up themselves in a pub near the con after the event?

...managed to scare yet another date off recently by telling her that I enjoy going to cons like LFCC (seriously - you wouldn't believe the number of "what a shame - you seem like such a nice guy" comments I've had after talking about my passion for sci-fi, comics and conventions).

I'm really sorry to hear that. I know its not what you want to hear but perhaps you shouldn't talk about your love for those things on a first date - wait till you know em a bit better first because evidently its putting them off. People sadly have their own pre-conceptions about these things, that wont ever change. On the first date, many girls who don't really know you are still trying to figure out if they like you or not and are looking for reasons to date/not date you again.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

WHAAAAAT?? Why on Earth would you need a (speed dating) event to do that?? Just talk to people in a normal way at the con or on THIS FORUM. YES, you can do that!

As for the speed dating event, why doesn't the OP or someone set it up themselves in a pub near the con after the event?

I do talk to people at cons and on here (check my previous posts). The point was that it wouldn't have to be taken seriously - nobody would want a load of people moping around a con because nobody chose them at the speed dating. If you went in with the mindset that at least you may come away with new friends or having had a laugh then it's a lot lighter. I'd hate to pitch something like that as only being for coming away with a future partner! lol

As for organising one... well, I could try but I've no idea how interested people would be (hence my post)! :-)

...managed to scare yet another date off recently by telling her that I enjoy going to cons like LFCC (seriously - you wouldn't believe the number of "what a shame - you seem like such a nice guy" comments I've had after talking about my passion for sci-fi, comics and conventions).

I'm really sorry to hear that. I know its not what you want to hear but perhaps you shouldn't talk about your love for those things on a first date - wait till you know em a bit better first because evidently its putting them off. People sadly have their own pre-conceptions about these things, that wont ever change. On the first date, many girls who don't really know you are still trying to figure out if they like you or not and are looking for reasons to date/not date you again.

That's not what I do! :-) If I go on a date and they seriously claim they had no idea I was into stuff like that then they either don't know me at all or they haven't bothered to read my profile on the site I'm on. I never bring it up unless they say they're interested in one way or another. In the case of the last date I went on last week, it was the second time I'd met her and I was asked about LFCC as she knew I went there. I told her what I did while I was there, getting autos, photoshoots and that seemed to prompt her to end the date as fast as she could. I got a message from her the next day telling me that she really liked me and enjoyed being with me but that she felt cons like that were 'childish'. It isn't the first time I've had that either!

I don't regard my interests as a secret and I'm a pretty geeky person so I'm not going to can something that I love and has been a big part of my life since I was born, just because somebody feels that an interest like that means there's something wrong with them. I'm not desperate to meet someone and am very happy with who I am, so if they feel like that it's best that they do leave.

What I'd really love is if I met someone with similar or common interests. I think it would be great to go to a con with someone who wasn't just there or being dragged there - but because they were getting the same sort of enjoyment out of it as I am.

I have gotten talking to lots of people at these things but unfortunately I never seem to meet any single women there that live anywhere near me. They all seem to be from up north, Scotland, Ireland and places like that. Nothing wrong with those places of course, but too far from me in the south!

- G

nobody would want a load of people moping around a con because nobody chose them at the speed dating

But they wouldn't know about their lack of success until after the con. The usual way its done is that the speed-dating host will collect each attendees scorecard at the end of the event and then email the attendees later to let them know who they matched up with.

That particular girl sounds a bit childish herself - she's probably never experienced a con for herself so how can she even judge like that? She'd effectively dissing you and your passions too.

But like I said, people will have their pre-conceptions - they're only human so it doesn't make them bad or not right for you, they just don't understand. I'm not saying you should lie or hide things completely but just don't go into too much great detail. You have other interests so talk about them too. I have a fun interesting part time job that would put off a lot of employers or potential dates - I like doing it and it pays really well but I know I have to be subtle and calibrated to avoid people getting the wrong idea.

Edited by nicky

Oh you have to share with us what your job is now!!!?!!

I'm one of those 'special' butlers, I'm still pretty new at it. Sometimes I'm topless and sometimes I'm just wearing the apron/bow-tie/cuffs. I get £25 p/hr for working on parties and some corporate events. I even got a tip for £20 last Saturday so I made £80 for just 2hrs. I'm not embarrassed about it but I know it might put some potential employers and some girls off but I know not to bring it up right away. Same with cons although I don't go to them as much as I used to.

In my flat I used to have a display cabinet full of my model-kits and 1/6 action figures from Hot Toys which I loved (had to sell it all). I also had framed signed posters on my walls of my favourite movies like Aliens, Predator, Robocop etc. I wouldn't tell girls about it on our dates until we got outside my door. When I did I brought it up jokingly saying "hey check out my toy collection" so it wasn't a shock when they saw it. When they did see it though they were amazed more than anything at how cool it was and my paint skills - this always surprised me. I think its just the way I communicated it to them by presenting it as something as not a big deal and also they knew I had other interests too and they'd spent enough time with me to realise I was more than just a geek. For real though, walking into my living room was like walking into Forbidden Planet.

Edited by nicky