Thoughts about the weekend?

I have been attending Showmasters events since 2008.

Glasgow has vastly improved and the guests are getting better and better!

Some complaints...

The venue is too small, I was disheartened to see its back at Braehead next year. I might spend more money if I could actually see the stalls!!!

The guest area, its a good idea but because of the layout its a bit of a cut off area and felt very quiet for the guests.

The hall was hot this year snd the BO was bad!!

Talk stage needs to be improved.

Positives!

Some great guests!

Crew were excellent!

Eventbright worked great!

Staff on the door did a great job and as a prebuy I got in earlier.

Photo shoots were very well done.

Please make it at s bigger event, the appetite is there, the facilities are lacking!

All in all another great event!

Thanks Showmasters 👍🏻

I enjoyed it. long haul up from Birmingham and proberbly won't do it again unless theres guests i really need. staff were good, a bit overcrowed among the stalls but the venue is o.k.If the show gets any bigger then it won't be.The area where the guests are signing is way too small. just cheesed off that Sean Astin photoshoot was so late in the day i couldn't do it as my train left at a specific time. and before i forget some people were getting selfies despite 'no posed photos' on the back wall, i was told no , the woman at the back saying we don't have time , otheres were told no and then 10 minutes later saw someone get one. The woman at the back who told me no actually took the camera and took the photo. If your going to have rules like that for whatever reason you must stick to them as it causes annoyance.

Edited by loveamyadams

My daughter and I went on Saturday and we really enjoyed it; plenty of stalls to suit both our interests.

The guest line-up was good and I would like to congratulate the crew for their hard work in making the event a success.

• Like 2

i agree the staff were excellent and entertaining espechally during the cosplay comp think i may have afended one fo the main cosplayers hope i didnt ( i ask because i wasent sure if she charged ) sorry if i did :)

the ques were way too long ( know it cant be helped ) but yea hour and half lol but so worth it

the other main thing is its very hard to find ( when in talks ) other ways of getting down i dont really like the stairs ( nothing to hold on to ) i know its nothing you guys can do but its very aqward to get down from on top of that there was no easy way to find the lifts could have been signs or something lol

other than that awsome day came back with a decent haul and lots of memorys thank you so much wish there would be one in december lol

I had a good time on Saturday. I've gone to every Glasgow con and this is the first time ever I've had to wait so long to get in. I was about a hour and a half in the queue but I'm glad I did or I'm not sure I would have got Sean Astin's autograph. Also those little admit one tickets isn't some one meant to collect them at the door? I still have mine because no one was taking them.

I went to Sean Astin's auto first and was glad they were doing virtual queuing and was told was probably going to be about 2 hours. I did ask if they would be updating what number they were up to online maybe on twitter but was told no you just had to keep coming back and check the board. I think that backfired a little because when I came back there was quite a lot of people standing around watching the board.

I didn't spend a lot in the stalls and was planning on getting a Sean Astin photo shoot but was a bit late in the day and decided to just leave it. I love Brehead as a venue but I just not sure it's big enough any more.

Edited by Galaxy-Song
  • Like 1

yea secc would have been better to be honest i remeber my first convention was at secc ( this one i think ) back in 2004 and loved it but point is that even if there was alot of people there would still be more room to move in lol why do i get the feeling its going to be at secc next year lol ;)

Just attended today with the Wife and baby. When I went to the Guest level some of the Guests were not there, so only managed to get around half of the autographs on my posters that I wanted. Couldn't be bothered lifting the pram up and down the stairs again which brings me to the question I couldnt for the life of me see the lifts where were they? Would have helped a lot.

Unfortunatly (or fortunately for the wife depending on which way you look at it) there wasn't much at the stalls today that interested me and within my price ranges so needless to say brought back home a very healthy surplus of cash which the wife has already spent on a holiday to London.

Overall a very decent show and really cant fault anything just a few niggles as already stated. Maybe I've attended way too many Cons and memorabilia shows and just getting old but for me slightly deflated as been there done that several times deja vu moments.

Special mention to the two fantastic girls manning the 1Groot photoshoot this morning and helped with my baby getting a couple of cool pictures. A credit to your company very cheerful and extremely nice!

• Like 2

Just attended today with the Wife and baby. When I went to the Guest level some of the Guests were not there, so only managed to get around half of the autographs on my posters that I wanted. Couldn't be bothered lifting the pram up and down the stairs again which brings me to the question I couldnt for the life of me see the lifts where were they? Would have helped a lot.

Unfortunatly (or fortunately for the wife depending on which way you look at it) there wasn't much at the stalls today that interested me and within my price ranges so needless to say brought back home a very healthy surplus of cash which the wife has already spent on a holiday to London.

Overall a very decent show and really cant fault anything just a few niggles as already stated. Maybe I've attended way too many Cons and memorabilia shows and just getting old but for me slightly deflated as been there done that several times deja vu moments.

Special mention to the two fantastic girls manning the 1Groot photoshoot this morning and helped with my baby getting a couple of cool pictures. A credit to your company very cheerful and extremely nice!

Hi!

That was me and Caroline, Caroline was the awesome photographer and the lift was right by us! We would have pointed you to them if you had asked us. Which is a great shame as this would of made life a lot more easier for you both

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the appreciation 👍☺️

Edited by Gemma8282
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it. long haul up from Birmingham and proberbly won't do it again unless theres guests i really need. staff were good, a bit overcrowed among the stalls but the venue is o.k.If the show gets any bigger then it won't be.The area where the guests are signing is way too small. just cheesed off that Sean Astin photoshoot was so late in the day i couldn't do it as my train left at a specific time. and before i forget some people were getting selfies despite 'no posed photos' on the back wall, i was told no , the woman at the back saying we don't have time , otheres were told no and then 10 minutes later saw someone get one. The woman at the back who told me no actually took the camera and took the photo. If your going to have rules like that for whatever reason you must stick to them as it causes annoyance.

Was the sign still up at that point though? The 'no photo' situation can change throughout the day. If the sign was up then they shouldn't allow it but sometimes it does happen for valid reasons - this happened to me at LFCC with Mads, I had an item I was going to ask him to hold so I could take a picture but I saw the sign when I got to his desk so was putting it away when he saw it and gestured to me to hand it over. I wasn't going to say no to the guest! :smile:

I went to Sean Astin's auto first and was glad they were doing virtual queuing and was told was probably going to be about 2 hours. I did ask if they would be updating what number they were up to online maybe on twitter but was told no you just had to keep coming back and check the board. I think that backfired a little because when I came back there was quite a lot of people standing around watching the board.

I don't think that's to do with how they alert people to what number they are up to so much as people just wanting to hang around to A) watch the guests and get photo's from outside of the queue and B) if their number is soon to be called they think they might as well wait in the area. It happens at all the events, a lot of people just want to have as much time around the guests as possible, especially if they don't have anything else to do.

Edited by Raylenth

This one was a bit close after LFCC for me so I didn’t have the budget I wanted so I didn’t meet too many guests but it was all about quality this time!

As a fan of The Goonies it was great to meet Sean Astin and Ke Huy Quan. They both signed a Goonies poster for me and Ke Huy signed a Temple of Doom lobby card as well. I had photo shoots with both. Unfortunately the group photo was announced only hours after I had bought the single photo shoots and had to give that one a miss but the photos turned out great, even though I was in it! Loved Sean’s talk as well, glad I decided to pay the £10.

I ordered a pre-order autograph of Margot Kidder when she was doing a show down south last year so I only had a photo shoot done and she seemed a very nice lady. She came across very well at her talk as well.

I went on the Sunday only (standard entry). I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Glasgow show as busy as this on the Sunday. Nevertheless, the vibe was still pretty laid back and the photo shoots did not seem too rushed this time, all guests seemed to be enjoying themselves! Great to see how this event has grown from its humble beginnings in 2007!

Edited by BasG
Spelling

Entirely agree about moving to a bigger venue.Braehead Arena does seem to be struggling to cope with the numbers as this event gets more popular every year.Also a bigger venue would make getting access to the stalls a lot easier.

Edited by Gerry d

Was the sign still up at that point though? The 'no photo' situation can change throughout the day. If the sign was up then they shouldn't allow it but sometimes it does happen for valid reasons - this happened to me at LFCC with Mads, I had an item I was going to ask him to hold so I could take a picture but I saw the sign when I got to his desk so was putting it away when he saw it and gestured to me to hand it over. I wasn't going to say no to the guest! :smile:

yes the sign was up , i asked just in case and told no posed photos, the woman that was with Sean made a big point of tapping the sign on the back wall, then with the sign still up some people got photos with after i went through. really unfair.

Edited by loveamyadams

yea secc would have been better to be honest i remeber my first convention was at secc ( this one i think ) back in 2004 and loved it but point is that even if there was alot of people there would still be more room to move in lol why do i get the feeling its going to be at secc next year lol ;)

i doubt it'll be at SECC next year because a rival company has it under contract.

It can also be as simple as someone having forgot to put down the sign. We're all humans.

But yeah, sometimes a guest will simply offer. They may know the attendee, may agree because they admire their cosplay or something else.

Even randomly being nice because an attendee Looks stressed or something may be an Option. Second LFACC ever Brent Spiner had a no posed photos sign up all Weekend. Sunday evening - when the signs were still up - I went to get an autograph for a friend of mine who had to leave. I even left my camera with my friends because you know, no photos. When it was my turn suddenly Brent's Agent asked me if I wanted a Picture. To this day I don't have a clue why. I stammered I had no camera, and he even told me to go and grab it, I could come back through the Exit.

Totally made my day.

• Like 1

It can also be as simple as someone having forgot to put down the sign. We're all humans.

But yeah, sometimes a guest will simply offer. They may know the attendee, may agree because they admire their cosplay or something else.

Even randomly being nice because an attendee Looks stressed or something may be an Option. Second LFACC ever Brent Spiner had a no posed photos sign up all Weekend. Sunday evening - when the signs were still up - I went to get an autograph for a friend of mine who had to leave. I even left my camera with my friends because you know, no photos. When it was my turn suddenly Brent's Agent asked me if I wanted a Picture. To this day I don't have a clue why. I stammered I had no camera, and he even told me to go and grab it, I could come back through the Exit.

Totally made my day.

At LFCC this year, Kim Coates had a no posed sign up. I'm struggling to find someone who met him that didn't get a pic with him at his auto desk! He was offering them himself for most people.

Aww thank you so much for your lovely comments about myself and Gemma! :smile: It was a pleasure photographing your lovely family and thank you for coming to see us.

So sorry you didn't find the lift, it was just along from us and one of us would have directed you if we had known you were struggling to find it.

Hope to see you again next year :WAVE:

I will say what I always do....Braehead is the best and most convenient place, without it, I wouldn't get a mobility scooter on hire at the location and easy access to food places. Yes, it can be a little cramped, but they move to SECC and even more people will attend thus likely making it just as cramped! I for one am glad it's STILL at Braehead for 2017!

Me,my mum,sister and nephew had a great day on Sunday,James Marsters was nice to meet he put a great spikequote on my picture when my mind went blank,Sean Astin and Keisha Castle Hughes were really nice too it was funny when she said it was great pretending to eat people when she signed my walking dead picture,Ray Park made my nephew's day he is a big Darth Maul fan it was nice that he took time to talk to him and make sure his picture with him was good,i also got some good bargains at the stall's especially a Snake Pilssken neca figure,i'm glad the dates were up for next year I'm already looking forward to it :) I would also like to thank the Star Wars cosplayers you made my nephew's day special he was dressed as a sith with Darth Mauls lightsaber :)

Edited by carnosoul
  • Like 2

This was my 1st time @ showmasters, how I never knew about it before I don't know. Had a really chill day on Sat and loved my pic with James :) Really liked how we could use the seats (small things I know) but the this show show lacks places to sit so it was a novelty to me :P Will definitely be back. :)

I have only been on Sunday, and I didn't find the place that stuffed. I have been to a few London Comic Con, and I can tell you, it was a huge different in term of personal space haha!

I am a Goonies fan, and I was so delighted to meet Sean Astin and Ke Quan! I attended all of the panels on the afternoon too, and it was great!

We got in in literally 10 mins (that changes from the 2/3 hours queue in London, even with the pre ordered tickets).

Either way, I had a great time! I am hoping that they will ask Jeff Cohen and Corey Feldman next year, so I can have my goonies autograph picture completed :P