thanks dave and jason

indio

My first show and very impressed. Excellent organisation, arrived at 10am and by 11.15 had met Joan Collins, George Kennedy, Ernest Borgnine and Mickey Rooney. Enjoyed wandering around the stalls and checked out collectormania too. Thanks a lot - looking forward to the next show already...

I thought this was one of the best Autographicas I have been to. I think the decision to run the event in conjunction with Collectormania was a really good one which I think worked out very well.

Highlight has to be Charlie Duke, he was very obliging signing a quote on a picture for me, even corrected the bits I'd got wrong (last time I try and scribble something down from memory!), his photoshoot and talk were also excellent.

The floorshow the Rooney's put on in the hotel corridor was quite amusing as well though I'm sure they didn't mean it to be!

Dave

Just to say well done i have been to all of them and this has to be in the top 3 , highlight for me was the Helen Sharman and lectures by the Fighter pilots and Bomber Pilots, they were the most humble of people.

The dinner was very good also i sat next to Helen and she was great company, the film stars were also good my fav had to be Ernest, had time for eveyone and was great with the kids.

The next one is due in Sept i will be back to meet more guests i hope that you could get some great guests just like this time

Paul ^_^:P:YAHOO::YAHOO::YAHOO:

This is my second show and after a 320 mile round trip it was worth every mile got to meet Charlie Duke (he signed my apollo 16 space capsule) Bruce McCandless and Helen sharman OBE. Brilliant, good show loved all the stands as well. ^_^:P:YAHOO::YAHOO:

All I Can say is what a great show!!!

I cannot believe I was able to meet Mickey Rooney, George Kennedy, Ernest Borgnine, Helen Sharman, George Lazenby, Joan Collins, Ke Huy Quan and David Warner all in the same weekend. It was a great idea combining the 2 shows together.

Every single guest I met was friendly and had time to talk with everyone. Borgnine, Kennedy and Rooney were great to talk to, but Borgnine in particular is now an absolute legend in my estimation. He's one of the happiest, friendliest people i've ever met, and has such an infectious personality. Can he seriously be 92 years old??

This is one of the best shows i've attended so far (apart from problems with the hotel - but thats nothing to do with your shows, and i'm sure it'll be addressed in another thread).

Many thanks Dave and Jason for such an amazing 2 days, and roll on the next shows!!

PS well done and thanks to all the crew - particularly the photoshoot area, I must have p***** them off constantly handing my heavy bag in and out all day!

Edited by keithporter23

What a fantastic weekend! I met Ernest (two sigs and a photo shoot), George Kennedy, Ronald Homes, Ron Green, George Johnson, Angus Lennie and Kenny Baker.

I also got Dave Prowse, Matthew Lewis and George Lazenby from Collectormania, which I thought was really handy having running alongside Autographica.

I attended the Lancaster Bombers and the Bruce McCandless talks yesterday and both were really interesting. This was the first time I had attended any talks at an Autographica (first time as a Gold Pass holder) and I will definitely attend more in the future. I would have liked to attend more over this weekend, but photo shoot timings clashed.

Ernest was a real star. I think I was one of the first people to meet him on Saturday and I had a brief chat with him about his role in The Wild Bunch and what it was like working with Sam Pekinpah and William Holden. I am so thankful to Dave and the SM team for making this happen. I think I was the first person to suggest Ernest on the forums (I checked before I submitted the request) so I am really, REALLY happy that I was able to meet this true Hollywood legend this weekend.

Mickey Rooney was entertaining with his outbursts in the foyer and in the corridor outside our room. I think I may have bothered with him had he not had his wife with him and had he been £15. He really wasn't very busy over the weekend - certainly not when you consider that he has been billed as an "A-lister". Other comments have been made about his wife being in the photo shoots with him - seems odd as her IMDB profile doesn't really read that well. I'd be disappointed if I had paid for my photo with Mickey and had Jan "this room isn't available any longer" Rooney in it as well.... But, horses for courses - I'm justing making my personal observation in relation to all that...

Really though, this was the best Autographica I've attended and I think having CM running next door really worked. I'm not sure whether the dealers had much trade or not - they didn't seem overly busy post 1pm when I went in - but then that could be down to the economic climate as much as anything else. I would really encourage SM to look into making this a regular fixture at the Birmingham event. It helped to prolongue the days!

Thanks to all the team for a brilliantly organised event. This was my second Autographica after my first last year. This time my wife joined me (to keep on eye on me given I wanted to see the Bond Girls!). We were worried we wouldn't have enough time as, due to work commitments, we did not arrive till 2pm today. We grabbed a tasty snack at the Food Hall and then set about meeting some celebrities. Due to the absence of queues we were delighted to see everyone we came to see and more! Madeline Smith was my pinup when I was a teenager and so I loved meeting her for the first time. My wife's favourite was Mickey Rooney - whatever he takes to be as fit as he is at his age I want some of it! Kenny Baker was very friendly and we had a brilliant photo taken with the Bond Girls - my male friends will be so jealous. The free entry to Collectormania was a great bonus. We met some legendary actors and found Katy Manning wonderfully effervescent. We will certainly be back next year. Thanks again.

I'd like to add my thanks.

I think having the two shows together was very effective and the organisation seemed to work well.

Having been before I knew where in the hotel to head for but I think a few more signs would be helpful to those visiting for the first time.

But well done to all concerned on a very enjoyable event.

... I met Charlie Duke again and we had a laugh, I shewed him some pictures of the Moon I had taken with my Canon EOS450D on my Meade LXD-55 5-in telescope and he said '...I took some like those, they are nearly as good as mine!' Praise indeed!

Bruce McCandless and I deiscussed teeth again, he has the same position tooth missig as me!

Helen Sharman as gratious and great to meet again

See u at A14?

von Dawson's Express

I cannot believe I was able to meet Mickey Rooney, George Kennedy, Ernest Borgnine, Helen Sharman, George Lazenby, Joan Collins, Ke Huy Quan and David Warner all in the same weekend. It was a great idea combining the 2 shows together.

Every single guest I met was friendly and had time to talk with everyone. Borgnine, Kennedy and Rooney were great to talk to, but Borgnine in particular is now an absolute legend in my estimation. He's one of the happiest, friendliest people i've ever met, and has such an infectious personality. Can he seriously be 92 years old??

This is one of the best shows i've attended so far (apart from problems with the hotel - but thats nothing to do with your shows, and i'm sure it'll be addressed in another thread).

Many thanks Dave and Jason for such an amazing 2 days, and roll on the next shows!!

PS well done and thanks to all the crew - particularly the photoshoot area, I must have p***** them off constantly handing my heavy bag in and out all day!

Hello,

problems with the hotel.....pink burger anyone? Brilliant event though.Even got a photo on my camera of mr.Rooney and me.Class. Ernest and George Kennedy too!! Excellent!

:D

Hello,

problems with the hotel.....pink burger anyone? Brilliant event though.Even got a photo on my camera of mr.Rooney and me.Class. Ernest and George Kennedy too!! Excellent!

:D

Funny I saw someone eating a shockingly pink burger at lunchtime on Sunday, I ordered one with some sense of trepidation but the one I was given was OK

May I add to the list of thanks that go out to Dave and Jason - another wonderful job - thank you for a lovely weekend.

I just have a couple of comments that may or may not be useful.

I was pleased to see this year that autographica had large A3 posters of the guests with their names underneath, similar to the format CM and LFCC use, but they were not attached to the walls, instead they were laid flat on the guest tables, so at busy times they couldn't be seen.

It's nice in my opinion to have them attached behind the guests for 3 reasons,

1 it makes it easy to spot the guest you want to head to across a crowded room,

2 it is nice if it appears in your photo with the guest as it can act as some sort of proof/reminder

3 the guests often do not look like they did in the particular films they were in (Bond guests particularly), and going round looking at their tables, then wandering off can be a little embarassing, and probably looks quite rude on our parts. It's nice to try and work out, for those that no longer resemble their former selves, that they are the correct person before going over and realising they're not the person you wanted.

I found Helen Sharman, Ernest Borgnine and George Kennedy, plus the Bond Girls all exceptionally friendly and obliging, but I have to say that on Saturday Mickey Rooney and Joan Collins were appearing spoilt and diva-ish and seemed to be throwing tantrums at pretty much everything.

Joan Collins actually put gloves on to do her photoshoot as if she was worried she might catch something from us. She did, however, sign nice signatures and did smile during the photoshoots.

Mickey Rooney seemd like he wanted to rush us away, despite having no queue and no prospective threat of one forming. Jan Rooney was nice and chatty though.

I also take issue with the signs 'no posed/photos'. I can see why this is necessary for those with health problems ie epilepsy affected by the flashes, but in the main I feel when you pay £20+ for 10 seconds with someone, the least they can do is let you take a picture, even if it is not posed. Ms. Collins seemed to keep changing her mind and her sign as to whether it was no posed photos, or no photo's at all. It can be a bit of an insult to be honest. I'm also sure they sometimes pretend not to hear when you ask if you can take one of them signing the item, in which case I normally take it anyway.

I was also tempted to ask George Lazenby, who's sign said 'no photo's or video recording' whether I could do a pencil sketch of him instead. I thought he let himself down a bit as when I met him at Autographica some years ago he was far more obliging and allowed photos happilly.

I know the organisers can do little about the attitudes of guests as they are all just people at the end of the day and have up days and down days, but it is unfair to treat collectors (particularly multi-millionaires with as many houses and assets as they have, just earned thorugh different means) as some kind of second class citizens. Everyone deserves repect and civility when they give it out themselves.

All in all it was a great weekend and all are nice signatures to add to our collection regardless of the experience of receiving some of them.

Congratulations and thanks to the team.

I was pleased to see this year that autographica had large A3 posters of the guests with their names underneath, similar to the format CM and LFCC use, but they were not attached to the walls, instead they were laid flat on the guest tables, so at busy times they couldn't be seen.

I agree. However, I one of the group of crew members responsible for sticking the Midlands/Autographica posters up. And we had nothing of use to do it with. We couldn't exactly go drilling into the Hilton like we do with the MK partition. :P

And the fuzzy partitioning that they have at the Hilton doesn't seem to stick to anything. Blu-tac, sellotape, velcro...it was all a bit useless. Some kept falling down. All I can say is good luck to whoever tries it next year!

I agree. However, I one of the group of crew members responsible for sticking the Midlands/Autographica posters up. And we had nothing of use to do it with. We couldn't exactly go drilling into the Hilton like we do with the MK partition. :P

And the fuzzy partitioning that they have at the Hilton doesn't seem to stick to anything. Blu-tac, sellotape, velcro...it was all a bit useless. Some kept falling down. All I can say is good luck to whoever tries it next year!

Thanks for this, and yes, I see the predicament there. I hadn't thought of that, but as I recall pretty much all the guests that were seated around the edge of the Autographica room were in front of that Hilton corporate striped wallpaper, which I would have thought Blu Tack would have taken care of, and seemed to work in the Midlands room. Ayway, just a thought for next year, thanks for your help.