How did you find Autographica 11.

ForAllMankind

• Moderators

Erm..........Hi David B?!?!?

Just so you know, I don't blame you for anything - I just can't be bothered to join up elsewhere just to say hi :smile:

Please feel free to reply on here or email me if you have anything to say regarding anything I post. We don't need topics on me elsewhere. Thank you :smile:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went today and got all my autographs inside an hour. I think the longest queue I was in was Tony Curtis which was about 5 deep at the time I joined, was chuffed to get a couple of words and a handshake off him. Richard Heard was a pleasure to meet & we chatted about V, both the new book and the possibility of a new series. Lucianna Paluzzi & Lindsay Wagner were both friendly, and had a chat with Mollie Peters about Thunderball and her son who's serving in Afghanistan.

Gotta rate it 9/10 due to the friendly guests, good crew & decent venue.

I got to the hotel around 11:30 hrs this morning to find there were no queues for both Dave Scott and Jim McDivitt. I quickly got both signatures and had some time to chat with Dave Scott who was very personable.

I didn't meet Tony Curtis, but am now regretting it, but I did notice the queue for his autograph grew greatly after 13:00hrs. I did get to meet Lindsay Wagner and all I can say is wow; she still looks stunning and was totally charming. I only really go to these things for space guys but it was a real treat to see her and am grateful to her and the organisers for her coming to Autographica.

A real pleasant day, congrats to organisers and crew for a making it the event it is.

cheers,

Ken

Edited by mekon

Tony Curtis was such a nice guy, and it's one of those meetings we'll treasure.
Was he really busy? I wasnt there. Glad to hear he was great to meet.

From my judgement he seemed moderately busy.

Strange to judge though, as although he had a constant line of people all day, it didn't seem like the line went on forever like some of the guests we have experienced at other shows in the past.

The hall never seemed overcrowded or over noisy, and over all it really was a nice signing experience.

Can I be rude and ask you how much and where you had autos of Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness?

Have been wondering how much these are as som much of the ones on the Internet auto sites are expensive.

The autographs were in the dealers hall. The Alec was in a folder that a lady had under clearance and it was a really early Alec Guinness picture and signature on a postcard picture dedicated 'To Edward' (no I'm not gonna change my name), and it cost £10 (bargain!), and the Ford I bought only because he was holding a Police slate with his criminal number (it was from the Fugitive) and a date which is the same as my own DOB, so I had to have it for those reasons, and considering how much Ford has gone for recently it was another bargain at £60.

If anyone knows if I'm allowed to post the images of them here (Copyright...other reason?) I will.

Obi

Having been to several Autographica's and similar, I was impressed once again - well done all!

I hve only 2 minor issues,

One being the fact that people were getting in for free (and early) when others had paid.

Secondly, I think for all shows and conventions, the large boards/posters that is typical of 'Collectormania's' etc are crucial to ease guest identification as the posters detailing who the guests were, were laid flat on their tables, and when they had a large queue you couldn't see who it was, and some people were not appreciating others coming to the front to check (probably in fear of pusher's in).

I think large boards displayed above or behind the signers make things so much clearer. I also fear that it can look a little rude to waltz up the the desk of a celebrity, scrutinise their credentials, realise they are 'not one you wanted' and wander off again having bought nothing from them.

Signage was done well for the Terry Nation guests as they had large A3 posters showing who was who and where.

What does anyone else think?

Guinness £4.50 a pint in the hotel bar!!! Jeez will I never learn.

That was a lesson I learned at Heathrow, after that I vowed I'd never be caught out again! Actually on that point, the food and drink place laid on for autographica was really good, not bad prices for an airport hotel, Ok it wasn't michelin star stuff but for the price it wasn't too bad. Certainly something that I hope can be a feature at other events where possible.

Met all the people who were they I wanted to see, I went with the view that Dave Scott was going to be really stand offish but as it was he was fairly pleasent, didn't have to ask him to put the mission inscription, he just did it anyway. Someone did say that Jim McDivett had said this was his first and most likely last trip to sign in the UK. Apparently he found the travelling a bit too much (the irony wasn't lost on me!) If that is the case then I am pleased to have met him.

Photo shoots were very good, got the pictures back around the middle of the afternoon, personally I didnt want mine signing but it did at least give people the chance to. Richard Herd, was a good guest to meet, had a good chat about Seinfeld, particularly the 'Downtown' episode. Robin Horsfall's talk was very good as well.

Tony Curtis was great to meet, he was very pleasent, even signed my Boston Strangler DVD twice!

Only downsides really were John McAleese cancelling late on, he was one of the main guests I went for (these things happen I know). Also felt on the Saturday, the corner of the signing room with Luciana Palluzi, Alexy Leonov and Lyndsay Wagner got very congested. They seemed to be sat in the corner as such so their respective queues snaked out into the middle of the room and got a bit muddled. Would have been useful if the people at the information desk had a few more answers to questions as well. I appreciate they do have a hard job but just to get a blank "I don't know" every time is a bit frustrating.

Right moaning over, all round it was a really good weekend and I'm looking forward to the next one!

i met tony curtis & lindsay wagner.

tony didnt seem very talkative when i had my items signed, i'm not much of a talker myself so that doesnt bother me, so i'm so glad that i had the photoshoot with him.

he was patient, friendly, relaxed & charming.

glad that i got to meet a true hollywood legend.

lindsay, what a lovely lady, very friendly & relaxed.

i didnt have the photoshoot with her but did get one with her at her table.

(think it was taken by roxy, if she reads this, big thankyou it's a really good pic.)

dave, if you read this, thanks for giving me the opportunity to meet both of these guests.

pleased with the venue, it seemed brighter than the radisson heathrow which i find a little dark in some areas. hope you can use the birmingham metropole again.

did tony curtis charge to have his photo taken with fans. if so how much

there was a sign behind his desk saying no photos. dont know if anyone got one.

I only attended for Dave Scott and James McDivitt (a 5 hour round trip) why did you have to move from Heathrow!.... but I had a wonderful time.

I bumped into TooTall and Malc the photographer... both fantastic crew members!

But his disturbs me a little:

One being the fact that people were getting in for free (and early) when others had paid.

What does this actually mean? I paid for a Gold Pass for a Sunday only, and people were getting in for nothing? Not impressed at all!

Swan

Edited by swan

Erm..........Hi David B?!?!?

Just so you know, I don't blame you for anything - I just can't be bothered to join up elsewhere just to say hi :D

Please feel free to reply on here or email me if you have anything to say regarding anything I post. We don't need topics on me elsewhere. Thank you :smile:

If you signed up where I think you are talking about, I would ban you anyway :)

... and maybe it's not you he wants to tell these things ;)

I only attended for Dave Scott and James McDivitt (a 5 hour round trip) why did you have to move from Heathrow!.... but I had a wonderful time.

I bumped into TooTall and Malc the photographer... both fantastic crew members!

But his disturbs me a little:

What does this actually mean? I paid for a Gold Pass for a Sunday only, and people were getting in for nothing? Not impressed at all!

Swan

You say people got in for free ,I paid for a gold pass and got to the show about 8.45 am on saturday you could see my gold pass and i just

walked straight into the room no one stopped me and i just started to look around then about 9.15 someone said i should not be in here yet but did not tell me to leave. :D

I enjoyed it. Met all the Bond peeps that I wanted to and Tony Curtis as well - only downside on that front was the lack of images available from him in The Vikings, but I opted for a B&W 50's head shot of him in the end.

All in all a rather good weekend - though maybe the organisers could look at shaking the guest line=up's up a bit. I get the impression that a lot of the people who attend this event stop for the weekend, and in terms of guests there were very few - if any - variants across the two days. Would have been nice to have had a few Saturday only and Sunday only attendees.

That said, it's only a minor gripe - not looking to start an argument (David B and Too Tall!!)....

Finally many thanks to the staff especially the lady on McDivitt's photo desk who asked about the Match It For Pratchett sweatshirt I was wearing... still available from matchitforpratchett dot org

Many thanks for the link - that was me - glad you had a great day.

A

Linda & I thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the drinks reception, the show, our room and all the friends old and new that dropped by 'The Space Station'.

As veggies, we were really pleased with the meal on Saturday night: scrummy! And Molly was a wonderful dinner companion!

To those of you who haven't been to an Autographica event, I would just say: you really should try to attend in October at Heathrow or next year back at the Metropole!

Thanks Jason & Dave: you're stars!

David Bryant,

www.thespace-station.com

• Moderators

If you signed up where I think you are talking about, I would ban you anyway :)

... and maybe it's not you he wants to tell these things :smile:

I've already had a level-headed and fair correspondence from him now anyway, so it doesn't particularly matter what you say now. It's refreshing to have someone directly contact me, rather than slag me off elsewhere without giving me a chance to respond (which clearly you're happy to support).

I've been a member of previous incarnations of said place, without ever causing problems, so the idea you would ban me just for signing up is ridiculous :D

Well Sunday was definitely quieter than Saturday. Lindsay, Luciana and Alexey's queues on Saturday were quite impressive, almost matching the Curtis/astronauts.

They had virtual tickets for the astronauts, Lindsay and Curtis on Saturday only. I picked them up, but never needed to use them in the end.

Where was the air-con on Saturday? geez that place was getting smelly and humid... not great for someone in Tony's condition.

Kiwi7, which one were you? one of the Brummies who got a bit tipsy?

Btw, didn't James the Horse try to suggest that getting the pilots etc would be a wate of time? Ok they never exactly had long queues, but the talk on Saturday was very interesting, and humbling. And God wasn't Ken a character!

Btw does anyone else know what colour the Boathouse at Hereford is? Robin was so humble about his career.

Where was the air-con on Saturday? geez that place was getting smelly and humid... not great for someone in Tony's condition.

Btw, didn't James the Horse try to suggest that getting the pilots etc would be a wate of time? Ok they never exactly had long queues, but the talk on Saturday was very interesting, and humbling. And God wasn't Ken a character!

Btw does anyone else know what colour the Boathouse at Hereford is?

Yeah that main room was smelling nasty on Saturday afternoon, I only really noticed it when I went out and went in again.

I would like to have gone to the pilots talk but unfortunately it clashed with the Jim McDivett shoot on the Saturday and I had to leave at 12.30 on Sunday to get my train, shame because everyone said it was very good.

Hereford boat house:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...06150422AA1mSEk

This was my first Autographica and I imagine I am one of the youngest converts to the event (24 years). Overall I'd like to congratulate the organisers on a very well run show. Only two nagging points really:

1) With regards to the point raised eariler about wristbands, mine was never checked.

2) In addition to Tony Curtis, I came for the WW2 vets and thought that the lack of signage above them (to tell who they were) wasn't very helpful and led to everyone coming up to them and ogling.

Nevertheless I was pleased to walk away having met Tony Curtis and some veterans and would like to make the rallying cry for the next event: RICHARD TODD, SYLVIA SYMS, AND MORE WW2 VETS.

Regards...

• Showmasters Admin

We were aware some people got in to the hall before the show opened on Saturday. We did ask most of them to leave.

We had the 2 big doors open on Saturday as we wanted to allow easy entrance and exit to the event. We did have people on the doors checking people.

But after reading comments on here that people were getting in for free on Saturday we decided that we needed to have tighter control over the entry, so on Sunday we did only open one of the smaller double doors and we made sure people were checked.

We took your comments and we rectified it.

Edited by Too Tall