Sherlock

timelord81r

Finally got round to the first ep of the new sherlock. couldnt find a thread on here? does no one watch british shows any more lol

well, it was not the masterpiece everyone has been screaming it is .but it was decent, the plot was ok, but the enjoyment came more from the characters, chamberbatch was good as sherlock but freeman was excellent as watson (though i didnt like the whole leg arm injury thing, seemed forced and weird, he pretended to have a limp? why would he do that when he was shot in the shoulder? and why can he no longer serve if it was a shoulder wound?)

liked the text pop up stuff. liked how they worked moriarty into it.

good modern adaptation. looking forward to ep 2.

however the recent sherlock holmes downey junior movie i think was better

• Like 1

I enjoyed the movie, don't think it was better than the series just different.

Cumberbatch and Freeman make an excellent team.

yer they are great together, humm the movie, i thought id hate it, put off seeing it then a work college leant me it and i loved it, bought it on bluray straight after, was very impressed, RDJ and JL are also great together.

still got 2 eps of sherlock to go though

I think a lot of things like this rely on your expectations, I watched the first episode with quite low expectations so was very pleasently surprised by it. I think if you watched it after it's been hyped up quite a lot then I can see it might be a bit of a let down

wasnt a let down count, i liked it especially the leads, it just wasnt a masterpiece its been made out to be, so that could be down to like what you mention. still got 2 eps to go.

lol it still amazes me how in this country we can call 3 - 6 and if we are lucky 13 eps a series, where as in the state most are 20-24 eps.

though i guess you could look at sherlock more as tv movies perhaps. wonder if the next series will be longer?

gonna watch another one tonight,

When the 'series' was announced I must admit at being a bit dubious of bringing Sherlock forward into this century. However I watched it and was quite impressed. I look forward to the next series, which I hope will be a bit longer.

The Jeremy Brett era is still my favourite though :o

• 5 weeks later...

just finished part 2, wasnt as good as part 1, bit dull in fact especially the "how" which was almost explained as oh by the way he climbed up the wall and onto the ledge lol, but it had a fantastic ending (M for moriarty?) looking forward to part 3

though why british dramas think 3 parts = a series is beyond me, whitechappel im looking at you also!

• 2 weeks later...

major spoilers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally got round to part 3, really enjoyed it, loved the guy playing moriarty, was worried when I read it was a young guy as all tv these days seems to be young thin actors but he was great, great cliffhanger also. didnt see it coming it was teh gay it guy and for a split second at the end i was like NOOOO, watson cant be, have gatis and moffat gone mad? lol, just a split second.

Great show, shame it was just three episodes, but I believe a second series is in production, although suspect it will be three episodes again !

I've been a big Sherlock Holmes fan since I first read the books as a kid and was fortunate to see Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick's theatre version on tour many moons ago.

I actually have a soft spot for the old black and white Basil Rathbone version as well , which I remember watching repeats of as a kid.

I have to agree that I was initially dubious of the modern day updating, but imo it worked and the series , the relationship between the two leads worked well.

Role on series 2.

• 1 year later...

Series 2 was great fun as well. I especially liked the modern take on the Hound of the Baskervilles. As with the first series though, three episodes is over in a flash, fingers crossed we will see a Series 3 as there are still many great Holmes stories to base episodes on.

I hadn't seen the Robert Downey take until after seeing Benedict Cumberbatch and have to say I prefer Benedict, maybe because I have seen Robert Downey Junior in so many films now , where as this was the first thing I have seen Benedict in. I think Benedict would have made a good Dr Who as well and I think he was in the running for that before Matt Smith took over.

Edited by GoldenGreen

I seem to remember someone once saying that Sherlock was Dr Who for people who don't like science fiction, I can sort of see where they are coming from!

I think a third series has been confirmed but I don't think it will be showing till next year. Cumberbatch seems to be much in demand now with things like Warhorse, Star Trek and I believe he has done some voice work for The Hobbit so I wonder if getting hold of him for filming etc is more of a challenge these days.

Looking forward to the new series when it does start though, for me its about the best thing thats been on TV for a long time now.

• 1 year later...

So watched the empty herse and last night the sign of three (Internally I shouted but it should be the sign of four! lol!)

I feel like they are moving further away from the books with the series. Other than re-using the names of the titles - sort of - and characters it seems not to reflect the original stories that much. Unlike study in pink which I thought was quite a clever re-telling.

Not take as show in its own right not trying to compare it...I found it enjoyable. Has some good moments but I felt both episodes meandered a bit too much before coming back to the plot.

thanks for reminding me - I deen towatch the 2nd episode. I enjoyed last weeks opening and the

many many theories behind how he faked his death

. A study in Pink is deffinitely my favourite episdoe of all from Sherlock though I have high hopes for this season.

• 1 year later...

So what did you think of The abominable Bride?

Having read all the books I saw it for what it was a victorian sherlock clip show. a bit of fan fic really. But clever how it all worked out. And yes i do understand what it all means. i went to my mind palace and figured it out. ;)

Having read all the books I saw it for what it was a victorian sherlock clip show. a bit of fan fic really. But clever how it all worked out. And yes i do understand what it all means. i went to my mind palace and figured it out. ;)

I understood it as well. I am still not understanding the social media fuss from people who say they did not understand it. It is there plain to see.

I understood it as well. I am still not understanding the social media fuss from people who say they did not understand it. It is there plain to see.
It made more sense than sleep no more (dw).

I loved it- great performances, engaging story and high production values made it my favourite festive TV experience, even though I have more of a "mind shed" than a palace... "it's obviously twins!" I exclaimed smugly to the family.

BC's performance in the Victorian setting was reminiscent of the wonderful Jeremy Brett.

I want to watch it again so that I can appreciate it fully but I too understood it and thought it was very good though it was a bit confusing watching it until you fully realised what was happening.

There were a couple of things that were a bit annoying (like the group of women meeting in an abandoned church in hooded robes and chanting which was not necessary for what they were doing and they could have just met up in one of their homes - part of the point was women being ignored so if a group met for tea at one of their houses no one would have thought it odd) However I do get that it was done the way it was done to make it fit in with the gothicness of the episode and because fundamentally it was actually happening in Sherlock's mind rather than reality. It wouldn't have had quite the same effect if they were just sitting around tea and cakes making their plans.

I haven't read a whole lot of the negative comments as I know I'll get annoyed. I don't have an issue with people not liking it but not when they are kicking off because they clearly don't understand what is being done. Yes it was a bit odd in style and Inceptionish, and felt more like it was aimed at the fans rather than the casual viewer which is unusual (though one casual viewer told me he understood it and liked it) - there was a lot going on between Sherlock trying to figure out the old mystery, his desperation to work out if there was any way Moriarty could actually be alive and his emotional/mental issues and the reactions of his friends/family but it was very good. I loved present day Mycroft and his distress for Sherlock and was distraught over their seemingly callous bet over Mycroft eating himself to death.

It made more sense than sleep no more (dw).

Haven't watched the Sherlock New Years special yet but I think anything makes more sense than Doctor Who series 9 worst series so far imo I did enjoy the Doctor Who Christmas special though that was much better than series 9 lol

Not overly enjoying Season 9 myself. I've never been that thrilled with Clara unfortunately, she's always been a bit 'meh' for me. Peter C is ok but is going to be my least favourite of the new Doctor's, so combine the 2 and I'm really not fussed - I haven't got around to watching the last 5 episodes or the xmas special, and whilst I do intend to watch them at some point when I have time I wouldn't be upset if I never got round to watching them and I haven't said that for any of the other Doctors.

Not overly enjoying Season 9 myself. I've never been that thrilled with Clara unfortunately, she's always been a bit 'meh' for me. Peter C is ok but is going to be my least favourite of the new Doctor's, so combine the 2 and I'm really not fussed - I haven't got around to watching the last 5 episodes or the xmas special, and whilst I do intend to watch them at some point when I have time I wouldn't be upset if I never got round to watching them and I haven't said that for any of the other Doctors.

You see I've liked series 9 more than 8. And capaldi doctor is so much better without Clara. And its was one of the better Christmas specials.

I agree although I don't mind Clara I think she should of gone ages ago River or Osgood would of made a better companion for Peters Doctor imo for me Clara was better with Matts Doctor she also seemed to keep on taking the Doctors limelight away in both series 8 and 9 which considering the show is about the

Doctor it just seemed wrong

But I agree the latest Christmas Special episode is one of the best and for me it also shows how good Peter and Alex are together but oh well lol

I also agree that Peter isn't one of the best Doctors but thats purely because of the poor storylines give him a good story and I'm sure things would be different I personally thought he was great in Robots Of Sherwood and that episode still remains one of my favourites

Heres hoping series 10 will be much better