Has anyone ever had issues with cosplay props on public transport?

I feel I must have asked this sometime last year also, but my memory is bad and my props were different last year so... :P

Basically I will be coming in from Northamptonshire which means train and tube travel to get to the event. I plan on cosplaying Amanda Young from the first Saw movie, which means that my outfit can technically pass as 'regular clothing' and won't draw too much attention but for those familiar with the film, you'll know that the headpiece is rather large and bulky. The replica itself isn't functioning and is made from latex rather than any actual metal so it's not dangerous in any way. But I've never travelled publicly with a large cosplay prop and I didn't want to draw any negative attention to myself in case someone thinks it is dangerous.

People who have experience travelling in full costume, how do you go about this? Would it be ideal to perhaps try fitting it into a large bag for the train travel and then just wear/carry it inside the venue? It's not just a case of being self-conscious but London travel is always so busy, you always get a bit bumped and jostled when going up and down the escalators on the underground and such. I really wouldn't know what the best course of action would be to keep it from getting wrecked. (I mean I could always just wear it so people would steer clear of me, leaving me an open path at all times? Sounds like a plan.)

For those unfamiliar with the headpiece I'm talking about, I've linked some pictures of the prop from the movie below.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n253/John-Kramer/Shawneesmithjigsawtrap.png

http://www.mtmckinley.net/projects/saw1/rbt_Unreal.jpg

Also, the prop I ordered hasn't actually arrived yet. So admittedly I don't know how heavy or sturdy it's going to be.

Edited by Faerie Tanith

With regards to potentially scaring people who don't know what it is, I'd advise a bag. (I've volunteered on the railway for nearly a decade now)

I agree with that - definitely a bag. Saw is not that mainstream that people would recognize the prop.

I would definitely recognise something like that, Saw was cool for 7 films and now an 8th one being planned Edited by CrazyHorses

With regards to potentially scaring people who don't know what it is, I'd advise a bag. (I've volunteered on the railway for nearly a decade now)

I agree with that - definitely a bag. Saw is not that mainstream that people would recognize the prop.

I would definitely recognise something like that, Saw was cool for 7 films and now an 8th one being planned

Well I would recognize it as most likely being from a movie too. But I don't think either one of us counts towards the majority of people using the London Underground who definitely won't recognize it.

When I'm walking around the underground, lots of people stop and stare at me.. Would recommend a bag.. when you have the bag, don't forget to cut the eyes out, so you can see where your going.. I didn't the first time and kept walking into people. I found the Escalators the hardest thing... Animals have to be carried? Nobody wants to hold a camel on the escalators. :no:

• Like 2

When I'm walking around the underground, lots of people stop and stare at me.. Would recommend a bag.. when you have the bag, don't forget to cut the eyes out, so you can see where your going.. I didn't the first time and kept walking into people. I found the Escalators the hardest thing... Animals have to be carried? Nobody wants to hold a camel on the escalators. :no:

especially camel toes. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get to Milton Keynes (train from Northampton or by road), why not get the Southern Trains service direct to Kensington Olympia? It drops you right outside the exhibition centre!

I was once on a tube home from LFCC with some guys dressed as Ghostbusters with the packs on their backs. Some other passengers started to get quite concerned until I explained about the costumes. I guess if you have no idea who the person is supposed to be it could look ominous.

I just don't have that level of confidence :no:

I've got my prop now, though. It's far more pliable than I thought-- it's still large and bulky when I'm wearing it, but it's nearer to a Halloween mask quality material if that makes sense so it's probably going to be fairly easy to take it off and carefully put it into a bag when needed.