depression and WLFCC blog post

Great write up. So glad you had the courage to do all that you did and it became such a positive experience.

Excuse me for quoting from it but I really liked this line "friends are the single most valuable help someone struggling with mental health issues such as depression can have."

While not the same as you, I've been struggling with depression and anxiety this year and have been off work most of the year and only now am I slowly trying it in short bursts. It's been friends and having these events to go to that have helped keep me here during the darkest times although I did struggle with the crowds at the summer event and had to go and find a quieter spot to sit more often than I normally would. I've been amazed at how non-judgmental they have been, how supportive and how many have gone through similar things. I know they don't like me saying so but I so appreciate them and I'm not sure where I'd be now without their regular contact and interest in my welbeing. I'm so glad to see you have that in your life too.

And you've gone a step further than me even as I've never seriously considered cosplaying.

Now you've done it, hopefully it'll give you the confidence to take other small steps forward in your life.

Thanks for sharing. I know it's not easy talking about these things but it's good to hear another positive story.

• Like 1

I've certainly become far more confident and comfortable as myself because of these things and the people I've met :)

Me too, I used to be pretty quiet/shy, wouldn't really speak to anyone unless they befriended me first. Going to my first convention back in 2003 (thanks SM!), I knew I'd need to at least say something to the guests I would meet. From that point on, it got easier all the time, and I'm a lot more confident these days (apart from the odd moment, lol!). :)

Josh that was pretty awesome reading. Its strange cos being one of ur group have watched you grow so much in confidence and its been an incredible journey.

I missed Sunday for personal reasons but I still have my carol stuff minus the petrol can. So would love to do it again if there are walking dead guests.

Our group are incredibly supportive I found out that when I had to go home early sunday.

i did a brief write up of my experiences at comic con. as someone dealing with mental health issues these things can be a bit daunting, but they are SO much fun

feel free to have a read through if anyone is interested :)

http://joshchatsdepression.blogspot.co.uk/

thanks again for an amazing weekend. i really did have so much fun :)

I mean this in a positive way - geeks are generally some of the most accepting people you'll meet. Because all of us have something that maybe makes us stand out a little amongst colleagues, family or friends. You might be self conscious about something in your appearance, or feel you can't unleash your full geek (quoting Batman backwards and forwards, knowing every single actor on GoT, etc.) at work - but you can amongst geeks. So we find our home with others.

And if there is something that you feel self conscious about - height, weight, scars, glasses, whatever - chances are there's someone else the same walking round at the con. You really do find you fit in. And even if people notice something like height or scars, it's more in the same way they'd notice your hair is blonde, or you're a guy, or (when you speak) you're Irish or Welsh or whatever. At a convention, your defining feature is by no means something physical - it'll be the effort in your cosplay, or the really cool thing you're getting signed, or the fantastic photo you got with a guest. Believe me when I say I've spoken to far more strangers because we were both stuck in a non-moving queue, they were ahead of me in a photoshoot so I saw their pose/photo, they were amazing cosplay, etc. I've never yet stopped a stranger because of their physical appearance, and I've not seen anyone who has.

So definitely glad you enjoyed it, and plan to do more! :clap::borg: