Above a pub you say?? Get in!!

#42 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

lol dont get too excited, it's a Wetherspoons I think. Never been in there myself so dont know what it's like inside.

#43 Marky242

Marky242

Camera Operator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Wetherspoons = cheap drink!! It keeps getting better!!

#44 yahweh70

yahweh70

Locations Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Just remembered.. its FA Cup Final day that Saturday, so there'll be lots of scousers en route to Wemberleeeeeyyyy, and those heading on the roads afterwards, might get caught up in the melee.. If you're staying in the area for too long after the show is over..

I think the match is on from around 5 this year, so depending how many Torres scores.. arf, arf... the Red army might scatter pretty quickly, or might hang around.. but not til gone 7 at least.. and the traffic around there is so free flowing.. :D

What with this and the Movie Mart next day near Central London.. picking where to spend Saturday night looks like it could be expensive weekend ..

#45 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

Apart from maybe the M25 I wouldn't worry about Wembley affecting traffic round here, we're not near enough to be affected much :)

#46 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

As it is now confirmed that there is no parking at the Studios, I've priced up the pay and display parking at The Venue (sports centre close to the Studios):

up to 1 hour - 50p
1-2 hours - 1.00
2-3 hours - 1.50
3-4 hours - 2.00
4-5 hours - 3.00
over 5 hours - 5.00

Blue badge holders - no charge
Motorcycles - no charge

The charges are the same at the Brook Road car park.

Edited by jael001, 30 April 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#47 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I've just marked the 2 nearest pay and display carparks on the Google map, they're the 2 with the blue markers, the one on Brook Road (the left hand one) is the Brook Road/Meadow Park car park and the other is the car park for The Venue and the Civic Offices (entrance on Elstree Way next to the Ibis Hotel). The Studios are at the bottom centre of the map. Both car parks are a 5 minute walk from the Studios.

Posted Image

Edited by jael001, 30 April 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#48 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

So that I know for next year, was there any information that I didn't provide that people wanted to know, or anything you found I didnt get quite right? Hopefully for next year I can make a comprehensive post about travel, parking, food, hotels etc for everyone.

Also, while I think of it, does anyone have any particular comments about the hotels that I can add to the info, since I've obviously never stayed at any of them since I live local? Were they convenient, any issues with parking (do any of them charge for parking and if so how much), hotel food, facilities, distance from the studios etc.

Edited by jael001, 07 May 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#49 yahweh70

yahweh70

Locations Manager

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I managed to park in Tescos more or less all day. I did a brief 30 min break at the hotel around 12.30ish, so within the 4 hour limit I read about, although couldn't see any reg counter thing at that place, plus I parked elsewhere in the carpark on my return.

Strangely it seemed very different to what I was expecting, judging from the latest Google earth images..

Oh how I'd have loved to watch the reaction to the folks in Obi Wan costume etc as they possibly walked from the station through a Saturday crowd on the main street.. If you're coming in costume next time.. drive, or take it packed away in a case you'd be able to walk around with all day.. and change on-site..

#50 funkyjudge

funkyjudge

Runner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I travelled by train from Leicester and stayed two nights at the Premier Inn in Elstree.

The journey from Kings Cross to Elstree was about 20/25 minutes as mentioned in previous posts. It's about a 25 minute walk from the station to the Premier Inn hotel.

I was in a double room which was quite big and roomy overlooking the car-park. It had a flat screen TV with Freeview channels and the usual coffee making facilities. The WC/Bathroom was also quite big and roomy.

Breakfast is self service with a choice of cereals, fruit and yogurt etc plus a full English. The breakfast room gets quite full by 7.30 but i think they extend it to bar tables if it gets full but i was out by then.

Can't fault the hotel at all but i would have stayed at the Ibis first because it's nearer but was fully booked up when i looked.

Did anyone stay at the Elstree Inn B&B which is above a pub?
funkyjudge

http://funkyjudge.net

#51 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I managed to park in Tescos more or less all day. I did a brief 30 min break at the hotel around 12.30ish, so within the 4 hour limit I read about, although couldn't see any reg counter thing at that place, plus I parked elsewhere in the carpark on my return.

Strangely it seemed very different to what I was expecting, judging from the latest Google earth images..

Oh how I'd have loved to watch the reaction to the folks in Obi Wan costume etc as they possibly walked from the station through a Saturday crowd on the main street.. If you're coming in costume next time.. drive, or take it packed away in a case you'd be able to walk around with all day.. and change on-site..

That's interesting about parking at Tesco, although I wouldn't recommend anyone else try that as I have seen them patrol, but that may be mostly around Big Brother time when they have big "no BB parking" signs up.

#52 jediknight49

jediknight49

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

I parked up at the Brook Street Car Park. 5 all day. Excellent place to park, less than 5 mins walk to Elstree. Would use this again

"do or do not..there is no try"

#53 Banished_From_Rohan

Banished_From_Rohan

2nd Unit Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

I parked up at the Venue car park - again 5 all day and around 5 mins walk.
******I survived the scrum that was Heroes at LFACC07!!******

********************LOTR Forum Award********************
Winner: Person least likely to ever be welcomed into Rohan 2004

Member no. 14 of the "Marvellous Miranda Otto Club"
Member of the "Fellowship of the Forum"
Member no. 6 of "Sala Baker: Lord Of Collectormania" Society

**********Member of the craziest door crew at LFACC2**********

"I am not a number - I am a free man!!"

I met Carrie Fisher....and she loved my teeshirt!!!!
I met William Shatner....and got a "Thank You"!!!!

stuman273@hotmail.com for messenger etc

http://spaces.msn.co...mystravels2005/ for a little slice of insanity....!!

#54 UKscout

UKscout

Continuity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

I stayed at the Ibis Hotel which came with free parking if you stayed.
Highly recommend this hotel as it's only 5mins walk from the studios

#55 yahweh70

yahweh70

Locations Manager

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

further to my brag about Tesco parking all day and not getting done... scrub that!

Wednesday, Mr Postie brought a lovely letter detailing my two sessions parked up, and noting that I'd overstayed both times..

Being a good customer, and it being first (and second) offence, they decided in their infinite generosity, not to levy a fine on this occasion..

Must remember next time...

#56 jael001

jael001

Art Director

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

oops, I did think they were fairly vigilant, thanks for letting us know for next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users