Scottish five pound notes

Hi,

Quick Q.

Have read somewhere about trying to have five pound notes with you for autographs as change for 10s and 20s runs out.

What I'd just like to check is that SM accept Scottish five pound notes?

Have encountered the scenario of paying for things south of the border with them before and them getting examined very closely and then running and asking a colleague whether they are accepted or not.

Thanks

Awesome.

I have seen shops in the past with signs stating that they won't accept them and have had a debate with a taxi driver over it. He wouldn't accept it even though it is legal tender just printed by a different bank.

And yes, double post! Shame on me.

I was wondering this, especially with the new plastic notes! They do look a bit suspect on first glance to be fair. I'm going to ask for English notes when I withdraw my budget for the weekend just for ease.

• Moderators

I always come home from LFCC with scottish money and when back in wales every shop questions it lol. Total legal tender so don't worry about it. On the plus side if you have kids, I gave one to my son about 3 years ago and hes still got it lol, now if only he did that with the rest of his money lol Hes 13 now and wants a Sigorney Weaver autograph instead :(

• Like 1

I've never had a problem spending Scottish notes in the venue itself. I think the staff are made aware of it and see a lot of them anyway. Elsewhere in London however, it is a serious problem. Best advice is to pop into your bank and visit the business counter. They'll give you BoE notes from your account.

Coming from Northern Ireland, I had several really bad experiences at my first LFCC and since then i only use Bank of England notes. Best you just bring Bank of England notes as it eliminates any confusion or arguments with staff or vendors.

As a Glasgow girl I have never had an issue with Scottish £5 notes at any Showmasters convention. Most of the staff have either seen them before and at least a few I know of are actually Scottish. Staff are generally just so happy to see £5 notes they are not going to fuss over which UK bank issued it! :)

As well as enjoying collecting autographs I love collecting Scottish money! I will happily buy a Current Scottish £5 for 2 English pound coins, a Scottish £10 for 5 English pounds and I will pay 7 English pounds for a Scottish £20. If you would like to avoid any embarrassment or anguish at the event please let me know! :-)

I have a stack of £1 notes I was hoping to use up in London. I'm assuming Showmasters have no issues with these either. I would dread an awkward moment in front of a guest whilst they have to check my money with a supervisor

I work in a supermarket and we accept £1 notes only if they have Stirling on them. My mother used to work in a bank and says that "£1 notes are only legal tender if they have Stirling on them. The shop keeper (or in this case SM) have the right not to accept it if they believe it necessary to prevent fraud or confusion among staff."

Edited by Gmorris2504

Any company has the right to choose for themselves what form of payment they accept, including not accepting specific types of notes or coins.

For example, I don't think anyone would be impressed if someone tried to pay for an expensive auto with pound coins. That might cause a bit of a delay in the line. 😀

And pound coins really are legal tender.

my shop doesn't take Scottish notes. we got told once by the police about not taking them as there was a load of fakes going around, and its harder with a Scottish note to see if they are a fake then an English one.

my shop doesn't take Scottish notes. we got told once by the police about not taking them as there was a load of fakes going around, and its harder with a Scottish note to see if they are a fake then an English one.

Where I work doesn't accept Scottish notes. But being right on the south coast means it's very rare that we see them anyway haha