Star Trek Into Darkness (big spoilers)

timelord81r

I find it strange though now all the fans are complaining that Into Darkness was a Khan movie when that's what everyone wanted the next Trek to be. Never happy Eh! :P

I've no issue that it's a Khan movie at all. Cumberbatch was a great Khan. It's the fact that entire strings of dialogue and entire scenes were lifted from previous movies and re-shot in this one, badly - that's what bothers me.

• Like 1

No offence against anyone on here but why can't you watch a film and just appreciate it rather than look in to every little detail that was right or wrong.

I still thought it was a fantastic film and judging by the applause in the cinema so did everyone else.

By the way reddragon, I actually do agree with you here (despite the fact that this thread is exactly here for that purpose). I normally don't visit these kind of threads, because with all movies, I watch it and appreciate it, I HATE dissecting and critiquing movies like this, as I'm not a critic, i'm a movie fan. Only reason I really posted was to counter people talking about how the 'Khaaaan' line was terrible. I thought it was good, as obviously did all the people in the cinema when I saw it, likewise seemingly with the people in your cinema.

By the way reddragon, I actually do agree with you here (despite the fact that this thread is exactly here for that purpose). I normally don't visit these kind of threads, because with all movies, I watch it and appreciate it, I HATE dissecting and critiquing movies like this, as I'm not a critic, i'm a movie fan. Only reason I really posted was to counter people talking about how the 'Khaaaan' line was terrible. I thought it was good, as obviously did all the people in the cinema when I saw it, likewise seemingly with the people in your cinema.

I still don't understand what's wrong with dissecting and critiquing a movie. There are many studios and producers, primarily in Hollywood, who will churn out awful, awful movies because they rely on audiences who go to the cinema and leave their brains at the door. I'm sorry, but no matter what watered down popcorn trash you're watching, film is still a visual art medium, and art in all forms gets critiqued. Critics have been commenting on all creative mediums since the days when people were first able to put brush to paper. It comes with the territory - you create something, not everyone will like it.

And you're saying that, by being a movie fan, you believe you're not as entitled to critcise a film as those blokes writing for the telegraph? Please. They probably know less about films than you do. It's just a single person's opinion, and everyone should have an opinion. If you watch a film and think it's terrible, underwhelming or otherwise unsatisfactory, do you not wonder why it let you down? Do you not try and identify the problems with the film in your head, and then share your ideas with friends to see if there's perhaps some aspect of the film they perceived differently? I thought that was normal...

• Like 1

First of all, i'm sensing a bit of attitude here, not really any reason for it is there? I'm not having a go at you or anyone else. What I said was that I tend not to do it myself because i'm a movie fan and not a critic. You say critics have been doing this for years, and you're right, but I am not a critic, and it's not my job to do it. Yes I am entitled to my opinion as much as a critic or anyone else, but I choose to do exactly as you say, and analyse more in my head than in public, for reasons being I tend to like a hell of a lot of films that 'critics' slate, or that 'fans' hate, and there's not much point in me putting my opinion across to people who clearly have a different viewpoint than myself. Another point is that I don't analyse films as much as, probably you do. I don't 'leave my brain at the door' by any manner of means, and if I dislike a film for certain reasons, then I dislike a film for certain reasons. What I would say is that I'm probably more accepting of things in film than others tend to be, as backed up by the fact I have seen this film and generally liked it, whereas others have extracted very specific things that they didn't like, despite enjoying the movie. It's just not what I do, I don't analyse to a specific degree, and don't feel the need to

Feel free to critique the movie all you want, i've said what I wanted to say about this particular movie.

No attitude, sorry if it came off that way. Each to their own and no disrespect intended. I just think people should be public with their opinions about film. Whether others choose to agree with that opinion is up to them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

bought the bluray (what a load of crap the extras situation is) but ive watched again and i swear a bit is cut out from the start, before pike is shot, i remember him saving a woman, in the bluray, you see him fall, look and get shot, before that he is calling air support. in the cinema i swear there is a bit in between where he saves a woman?

am i going mad? if not what the F has it been removed?

bought the bluray (what a load of crap the extras situation is) but ive watched again and i swear a bit is cut out from the start, before pike is shot, i remember him saving a woman, in the bluray, you see him fall, look and get shot, before that he is calling air support. in the cinema i swear there is a bit in between where he saves a woman?

I havn't taken the plunge on it yet - keep hoping they'll bring out a difinitive version with ALL the extras... What they've done with the commentary is an absolute shambles... I mean seriously... you can only get it on iTunes, bloody stupid.

As for the bit cut - this is the BBFC website and it says that the work was passed as uncut... I think it's Kirk who dives and saves a woman if memory serves.

Edited by Zahariel

I havn't taken the plunge on it yet - keep hoping they'll bring out a difinitive version with ALL the extras... What they've done with the commentary is an absolute shambles... I mean seriously... you can only get it on iTunes, bloody stupid.

As for the bit cut - this is the BBFC website and it says that the work was passed as uncut... I think it's Kirk who dives and saves a woman if memory serves.

not just the commentery, the extras package was similar to the 1st movie but it was all split up between retailers which is a f*****g disgrace, outrageous, cant believe it, you want all the extras, you have to buy the movie about 6 times, thieving paramount. deleted scenes here, commentary there, making ofs here, gag reel there and so on. outrageous.

yeah i was also holding off but someone bought it for me as a gift.

im sure it was pike, as he is darting about he pushes a woman but is stunned by debris, which is where the blurray picks up and he is shot. Im rather annoyed. I saw it twice in the cinema, im not going mad damit lol.

Funny thing I had with the film, I really liked it at the cinema, then when I watched the Blu Ray the first time, which I think was either the Monday or Tuesday night after it came out and I really didn't like it at all second time round. To give it the benefit of the doubt I watched it again that Saturday as a double bill will the first film and went back to really enjoying it again.

Not sure the exact point I am trying to make here but I can at least see better now how this has split opinions amongst fans.

It really is a marmite film... you either like it or hate it...

I was really into it the entire length until they started pandering right at the end, It just seemed like a cop out to me. I enjoyed it overall, but it could have been done better I think.

On the extras front, I found out that with the blu-ray, the digital copy is basically an iTunes copy anyway so that's my iMax version and commentary sorted then!!

the extras situation is just a **** take.

im curious to know if anyone else agrees with me about the pike scene? surely im not going crazy.

with the film i think its really good until the khan stuff becomes a complete rip off and the ending becomes predicatable, i still enjoyed it and rolled with it but i can get why others hate it,

i think its a massive cheat to have the spock prime scene in there now, i loved seeing nimoy again but its a massive cheat when spock says how? and spock prime clearely tells him, how great would it have been for what happened, the roles reversing happening completly natural. kirks is but spocks isnt clever, its cos prime told him the way to beat him is use what he wants against him.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a massive fan of all trek, this left me in a wierd place for like a week after i saw it.

just didnt think it was very good tbh.

i did myself no favours either by watching the Enterprise s4 ep where Weller is the bad guy then a day later watching ST:ID.

I kept having to seperate Admiral Marcus from his enterprise character in my head every time he appeared.

thank god he wasnt in TOS when he was younger.

that wouldve confused me further i think...

"Come quietly or there will be..tribble"

hahahaha

• 2 months later...

so i watched this film the other day and having not really seen any star trek (beside the movie before this one) recently i quite enjoyed it. i only ever saw bits and bobs of star trek when my dad was watching it as i was growing up. i started working my way through the original series on lovefilm some time last year but then ended up watching something else. watching the films has made me want to go back and start watching them again.

the only thing that did make me laugh was went the back of enterprise was blown off while they were at warp speed and the folk fell out like they were falling off a bus moving at 30mph. one of them even had time to grab a railing! hahaha.