anyone see the sun today?

timelord81r

I could not care one bit what a very small number of people say negatitve about the event. My family and I, and looking at the forum as a very regular poster many of my fellow collectormanics enjoyed the day and will continue to visit future SM events.

who cares about reviews, if we did perhaps we would never go to the cinema, or purchase a dvd/cd, go to a place to eat, visit a concert or leave the house to visit anywhere if we listened or believe every review we read.

the dude :thumbup:

Edited by the dude

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The paid talks were all £15 in advance, £20 on the day.

I think the article really does just highlight that you either 'get' these events or you don't.

Ah right, I didn't realise this.

Nice of them to point it out for their readers though, :thumbup:

i paid £215 out altogether yet i was crewing :) if people like that sorta thing, like me, then they'd in fact be good custom and realise that the guests are in fact busy therefore they don't spend half an hour talking to people.

the sun should be ashamed of that pathetic report :/

• Showmasters Admin

just read it, one of the worst reviews I have ever read in terms of an organised event - embaressing stuff :D

??? sorry its not embaressing to us at all , the event worked to our model and the fans know how it works and there was over 18,000 or them over the weekend and only one complaint , so maybe the Sun just wanted to make a story out of a great event ??

ita funny that if we have a music event were its not busy the Sun say the event was a flop and no one wants to meet the sad guests , then if we run a very busy event and the guests are busy then they go down the road of how bad it is the guests are busy and how much money the fans are spending , you can never win in the papers they are there to make a story out of anything they can , in the end if you are a fan and you read this in the paper ad you are a fan of John or one of the other guest there then you may think WOW i wish i had gone to this event and look up the next event , so in a way its advertising and as the 1/4 page add we placed for CML cost over £5000 the bit they put in today would have cost us £40,000 so what the heck , if more fans find out about our events then the more fans will attend if its something they think they will enjoy , no one makes anyone attend an event its up to the fans themselves .

all in all its all good i think and you are never going to get the Sun to say it in a way thats nice they will have to twist it whatever they right

shame they did not give out the next date oh well

jason :thumbup:

All in all quite a good review if you ask me :thumbup: I mean most people read the Sun knowing what they write is generally a load of rubbish, with the articles being badly informed and generally the complete opposite of the truth. So personally I think it'd of been more worrying if it had been positive :D You'll probably be seeing an increase in Liverpool supporters at events.

I only buy the sun myself on fridays cause of the entetainment section. I couldn't believe it when i saw the article as i was reading it at lunch (mainly cause it was nearly a week ago lol). It was very similar to when the did the piece on musicmania, as in they just seemed like the wanted to hate it, so ended up being negative about everything even the points they obviously thought were good. They even slate the Olympia as 'outdated', I mean WTF? lol. Just out of curiousity, are any of the attendees named on the forum?

Edited by Rev_Bem

Publicity is publicity - I am always being asked how I came to find out about events and conventions etc - this paper (for some reasons) is read by hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people - if only a small percentage google Collectormania just to see what it is all about then Showmasters will be the winner in the end. :thumbup:

Sorry if I get shot for this but if the wonderfully credible sun newspaper posts a negative outlook on this kind of event then the empty headed morons who actually believe what it says will avoid the event and therefore all us lot who enjoy it and like the atmosphere dont have to put up with those people taking up time and space.

Sorry to be leet about it but one thing I noticed and really liked about this event and LFCC was the distinct lack of g**sh*tes and how lovely everyone was, manners and just a nice atmosphere - resulting from growing up near a place called Birkenhead and seeing how people are in Liverpool these kind of events are a nice getaway from the afore mentioned empty headed morons that I have to deal with everyday :thumbup:

Ok sorry, rant over. If I've offended anyone then sorry, I didn't mean it personally just honestly getting increasingly annoyed by the amount of negative feedback relating to an event I really enjoyed!!

*breathes*

:D

I only buy the sun myself on fridays cause of the entetainment section. I couldn't believe it when i saw the article as i was reading it at lunch (mainly cause it was nearly a week ago lol). It was very similar to when the did the piece on musicmania, as in they just seemed like the wanted to hate it, so ended up being negative about everything even the points they obviously thought were good. They even slate the Olympia as 'outdated', I mean WTF? lol. Just out of curiousity, are any of the attendees named on the forum?

Yeah, that bit slating Olympia made me laugh, I mean, not only do they decide to have a go at a perfectly good event, they then slate an excellent venue, so I think Olympia is now probably rather annoyed at the artical too, lol!

Seriously though, whatever happens, it's not exactly going to lose any money for future Collectormanias etc. People who went this time will still go, I doubt anyone who went over the weekend will then read this and decide not to attend as they'll see through the lies!

The most upsetting aspect of this article for me is that the money we pay for the photos/autos/talks gos to SM, and not directly into the guests' pockets. I doubt JB was paid anything like the amount claimed by the S*n (and no, I'm not asking, because I don't care) and the fact that people were willing to pay these amounts in the first place is a tribute to him as a person and actor.

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that JB has been signing autographs and allowing people to photograph him for FREE after virtually every performance of La Cage Aux Folles for about 12 weeks. He also posed for photos at £20 a time for Children In Need. He didn't get a penny for any of that. And of course the article didn't mention that at all.

I see this article as less an attack on SM, and more an attack on apparently greedy celebrities, and I'm hugely upset that a decent man like JB has been singled out for this criticism.

Rant over.

Notice how they placed all this emphasis on the cost of the convention, and yet they said nothing about the Klingon photo shoot raising money for Macmillan, or Rene Auberjonois raising money for Doctors Without Borders. Of course not. Stories like that don't sell newspapers (which is all they care about).

Some people spend a huge amount of their money on football tickets and merchandise, some people spend it on boozy nights out every week, and then there are those of us who save up our money for these conventions that we love attending.

One thing that really got me was some of the ignorant and whiny comments they got from people attending the event. Complaining about how they didn't get to have a photo with someone because they couldn't get the tickets. Photo shoot tickets for popular guests sell out fast. Complaining that they didn't get to chat with the guests. Popular guests have to sign quickly, or they won't get to see as many people and you end up with even more people whining. Some guests are just in too much demand for them to stop and pretend that you're the centre of the universe. I can't stand people who are so selfish.

Right ...rant over ...must go lie down ...

read the article, and the way I look at it is - fans attending knew the costs involved and chose to go, yes if your anything like me you might have ended up spending more than intended.....but at the end of the day - I for one had a fantastic time at this event and am looking forward to repeating the experience again next year.....no matter what sort of review the event gets from a "newspaper" (and I use that term loosely where The Sun is concerned) will chance my mind.

Rubbish 'paper'....I just 'read' it and feel violated lol, it really is only good for one thing *unprintable* ....and that's not ethical journalism. Couldn't help writing a bit of a reply, we'll see if they put it up but either way, these people really do make things up as they go along, c**p. Hey like people have said though, obviously biased article conveniently missing out on all of the positives, but equaling free publicity for the discerning :thumbup:

The Sun - T*ts and Sh*t basically

Obviously went there with that agenda in mind from teh offset, as others have said, obviously ignoring the good work done there, and quite offensively deeming several of the amazingly nice people I met as "nobodies"...

All this from a paper who is willing to pay a "celebrity-for-no-reason" like Jordan, Peter Andre, Kerry Katona (or whoever else is popular at the moment for being bone-idle and promiscuous in the public eye) MASSIVE amounts in the tens of thousands PLUS for a short "exclusive" on their latest drugs/sex/alcohol/divorce etc scandal?!?!

Seriously.... What planet are they on ?!

I was just about to see if anyone had posted this already! I sent them a rather long email correcting them, although let's face it they won't even bother to read it but it made me feel good, here it is:

In response to your 'I'm a celebrity... get me autograph here' article I think you should hire a real journalist, someone who does their homework on what they're writing about and gives a full account of the event not their bias rant because they didn't get to see John Barrowman. First of all, let's tackle his obvious distaste for the prices of autographs and photo shoots, what did he expect? No one's holding a gun to anyone's head and making them buy that stuff and he failed to comment on the free signings and photos that were available. Like most Collectormania events they give you a free voucher on entry for one free autograph with one of the special guests, this time it was Steve Blum a superb voice actor with a CV longer than my arm. Not to mention, you often get actors and directors handing out free merchandise and posters along with free signings to publicise their latest film. As for photos, some guests who are also charging for photo shoots will not allow you to take photos and if you ask most of the staff they say do say 'No photos allowed', however, you ask the guest themselves and most of them are more than happy to not only let you take pictures of them but they'll even bother to pose for a photo with you. To name a few we saw on Sunday who did this were John Rhys Davies, Robert Englund (both of whom were charging for photo shoots too but didn't mind) and Steve Blum.

As for the "grubby event" treating people as "cash cows".. a serious narrow minded view. Not all Collectormania events charge entry and if David Lowe had bothered to do his homework or ask any of the staff he would have realised entry was half price after 11am. So he can stop crying about the £10 he paid to enter seeing as that was his own fault. Also, he obviously missed the masses amount of non-profitable events going on as part of Collectormania, they had consoles lined up with new and old games including a complete Dance Dance Revolution stand for people to play and bring gamers together. Accurately costumed entertainers walk around so you can have your photos taken with your favourite comic book hero or your favourite Alien. They have regular Cosplay competitions. They also have prop stalls showing real props and costumes from various big name films with information half the time you didn't know beforehand. They have their regular Artists Alley where artists, amateur and professional alike get together and share their artwork not to mention the competitions and give-aways they have going on, the Transformers stand alone was holding two seperate competitions but I guess Mr Lowe missed that as he was too busy crying over his entry fee.

Now.. onto the fact John Barrowman's photo slots were sold out. IF he had bothered to research further into the event and checked their website, he would have found if he was that desperate to book a photo opportunity he could have done so online in advance. Not that I would have bothered because if David Lowe had bothered to look into past events he would have found out that John Barrowman is a notorious bigot who whenever he does attend these events does not care about his fans, thank god I'm not one of them, and spends more time having "breaks" than actually signing. So more fool him for thinking his idol would spare some lowly "journalist" some time.

As for the snipe at Robert Englund, Nightmare on Elm Street was not the only thing he's done and he hasn't exactly been sat twiddling his thumbs in the past 25 years. He happened to be one of the nicest people there, he spent a good 20 minutes talking to us as did John Rhys Davies about their films, where we came from and speaking about how they loved to see merchandise of things they had been in that they had never seen before as well as then posing for a free photo with me and my friends. John Rhys Davies also tried his own Devonshire accent. And yes, Anthony Southall, they're celeb guests they are going to be busy and we travelled from Torquay, it's your own choice to travel there so don't complain about the distance. It seems you can't please your writer or readers as Mr Lowe expects more one on one time with the guests yet Mr Southall expects them to be less busy, wishing they would hurry through the guests so he gets to see him faster. Also, you find that a lot of the bigger guests will have to hurry through because when you have thousands of people wanting your autograph and your manager telling you to be as quick as possible then that is what is expected. At a past event, we saw Patrick Stewart who was the politest man I have met whilst also being quick because he wanted to make sure he got through as many people as possible, not because of the money but because he didn't want to disappoint. I know from experience, it's more frustrating to not see the guests you want to visit at all than not get to speak to them much. If John Barrowman wasn't polite enough for you, then don't tar all the guests with the same brush. John Rhys Davies talked about how much he loved people and meeting fans and from this event alone was going to commit to further ones because he enjoyed it so much.

It is an expensive event but it's not like they hide the fact it costs. On their site, in advance you can check exactly how much each celeb will cost so if your reporter didn't budget enough that is his own fault and as for missing out on the short chats.. everyone we got an autograph from spoke to us for ages so it could possibly be that they didn't want to speak to a sour-faced, miserable "journalist" who was sulking after Mr Barrowman let him down.

Of course you're going to get extras from films and "virtual unknowns" there, no one's making you pay attention to them and you'd be surprised how many people DO want their autograph and how many of those nobodies go on to become somebodies. Again, I find myself having to repeat myself as I work through your article, most guests will pose for free photos with you, not just the sports stars. You don't get anything unless you ask. I suggest you put that to the test next time.

As for the vendors, what you haven't realised is most will, and love to, haggle. If you don't like their price of that oh so coveted cardboard cut-out of Hermione for your room then you say it then to the vendor and haggle with them, not get miffed about it and then later on in hindsight in the comfort of your office rant about it. The vendors happen to be my favourite part of the events, as you find retro collectables from your childhood, hand made stalls selling unique clothing or jewlery, US and JP import stalls as well as film prop replicas being sold. Now I get that your writer likes Torchwood, he comments enough on John Barrowman enough to notice that, but he's failed to report that there wasn't just a Torchwood talk, there were others, and some of them were amazing. He was clearly spending his money in the wrong places.

Overall your article was a bias, very limited view of what is actually an amazing event that happens all year round. Your "journalist" is clearly sulking after his lack of John Barrowman contact and so has slated the entire event. The first thing you learn as a journalist is to give a complete account of what you are reporting, as well as your own opinion, considering yours missed out 80% of what the event was about and failed to do any homework to find out about their websites, prices and what other entry prices were available I suggest you hire another. As for me and my friends, you've lost several readers as we see now your paper does not report actual events or news, obviously your standards are to throw some amateur out there and let him come back and write a rant which you then go and publish without a second glance. I suggest you amend your article and that Mr Lowe amends his attitude. I shall also be forwarding a copy of this to Mr Lowe himself so I can fill him in on all the things he missed at the event that he would have seen if he had been walking around without his eyes fixed purely on John Barrowman.

M. Key.

After writing this, I got a delivery report.. turns out the writer's email doesn't work. So I have to be happy with it going through to their letter department I guess.

Yeah I tried the email address earlier. Ended up going through a general one on their site.

Do you think if enough people emailed they'd print saying they were wrong and fire the idiot that wrote it? I doubt it I can hope :wub:

Everyone email them!

Now.. onto the fact John Barrowman's photo slots were sold out. IF he had bothered to research further into the event and checked their website, he would have found if he was that desperate to book a photo opportunity he could have done so online in advance. Not that I would have bothered because if David Lowe had bothered to look into past events he would have found out that John Barrowman is a notorious bigot who whenever he does attend these events does not care about his fans, thank god I'm not one of them, and spends more time having "breaks" than actually signing. So more fool him for thinking his idol would spare some lowly "journalist" some time.

I hope this was a joke, because if Barrowman didn't care about his fans he wouldn't have spent so much time after virtually every performance of La Cage signing for free for the hordes for fans that were there, even when he had 2 shows a day to perform. And if someone spends more time taking breaks than signing, how the hell does he get through so many autographs at Conventions?.

I hope this was a joke, because if Barrowman didn't care about his fans he wouldn't have spent so much time after virtually every performance of La Cage signing for free for the hordes for fans that were there, even when he had 2 shows a day to perform. And if someone spends more time taking breaks than signing, how the hell does he get through so many autographs at Conventions?.

John is the furthest thing from a 'bigot' that you could find!! He is consistently wonderful with his fans as mentioned above. I hope you were joking...