i thought i would share a email we have received

• Showmasters Admin
Hi everyone

We have comments on here from time to time about the events covering positive and negative aspects of the shows, this email came in tonight and i felt it would be nice to share it with some of you as it dose talk about the people that make these shows happen the crew and team of fans that are just there to help make the events work over the weekend and give everyone that attends a really fun day.

jason

For attn of the Organisers

I attended the exhibition in Glasgow today with my son and his friend

I'll admit to not particularly looking forward to the experience as it's not my "cuppa tea"

HOWEVER I wanted to congratulate you on a very well run event. The Doctor Who based cast that my son came to see were very friendly

Of special note is the family friendly atmosphere you managed to create. All of the crew from Showmasters were extremely helpful and friendly

Very good ambassadors for your company. The "queue controllers. " and the team in the room where the photograph sessions took place went above and beyond ensuring that everyone had a good experience

As an example twice my son was offered a photo retake as he had been a bit nervous. But the crew were great encouraging him to go for "take 2 " and giving a bit of banter to ensure he smiled second time round

In short it wasn't treated as a faceless production line but a genuine demonstration that you wanted your visitors to go home happy

Security too. So often full of jobs worths with no sense of guest satisfaction. Not the case at Braehead where a reality friendly but efficient approach was adopted

So thanks for a great day and well done to each and every one of your team for a fantastic day out

Rgds

• Like 8

Completely agree abotu the staff. Before attending I was a little worried about kind of being cattle-herded along but everyone was so nice!

At the autographs I went for the staff were lovely and took photos for me with the cast members I asked if I could have photos with. At the talks, the staff on the ticket desk and on the sides with microphones were all lovely (and the guy hosting the talks was awesome!). And the staff in the photo studio bit were brilliant. Checking you were happy with the photo, making sure you were in the right place, organising the bag table so it was easy to get your stuff again afterwards.

I was really impressed actually. Having been to other cons were you're shouted at for being slightly in the wrong place in a queue, and having read some of the reviews of LFCC i was a bit worried, but i had a fab time and the staff were great. They all seemed to know what they were doing as well and where everything was which was helpful as a newbie.

• Like 2

The staff at the tables of the 3 guests I met were friendly especially the one at william russells. Was very easy day, no major crowds to manoeuvre through. Think this was first year I spent more at the stalls than on guests. There were some good guests there!! An from what I saw and heard where very friendly to visitors!! For first time ever I saw upstairs were 2 of my guests were and instantly felt disappointed! !! So much space for more guests!!!!! Did we move forward from last years major turn out, Id honestly say no!! Is it because of wot ive experienced at milton keynes or london fcc, I just got to excited or felt we were going to b just as big......never will happen! But after the success and comments from last year this for me was a step back!!! We definitely need more headliners! We have great actors/writer's/artists from our very own door step that people would love to meet that would bring the crowds in. This is the only showmasters event in scotland and I feel your missing out on so much more! Why cnt scotland not have a similar scale to mk or london??? Ive said before do we honestly need a newcastle, Sheffield, cardiff cons when englund gets spoiled with mk and lfcc. We pay big money to travel down and spend at these shows, theres people who cnt and wish wed have similar show up here. Surely it would b easier for showmasters to concentrate on guests for mk, lfcc, glasgow and the newly belfast market than also having smaller shows which are stating to get very close together? Im interested in your thoughts on this and plz by no means take this as an attack or just another nae sayer!!!!! I love your shows! And meeting people I grown up watching and will continue to!

• Moderators

LFCC has taken YEARS to get to where it is today. There's absolutely no way that Glasgow could jump to that scale anytime soon.

Plus I do think it's unrealistic to think it could ever get to that stage. IMO I simply don't think that Glasgow could ever attract those crowds. You won't get that many people wanting to travel all over the world to Glasgow. It's just not going to happen. LFCC is a lot of peoples one 'major' con, and so to then have another one on that scale would hurt Showmasters because they'd never get the people in. There's not enough to sustain that many huge events.

Yeah last year was so busy cause of awesome guests like (Robert Englund)

(Lance Henrikson) (Alice Kridge) etc. expected better this year but was really disappointed no headliners??? Hopefully much better next year but not gona get to excited this time..

I have attended Glasgow since 2007 with only one year missed. I do not normally go for both days and I wanted to say that I thought this year's event was very well organised and controlled by all concerned. It was the first time I had seen use of the upstairs part - but even the downstairs area for the guests had been opened up from previous years to provide a good sized area. I went to MK this year and have to say I thought that was the best I had been to from the point of view of the greater area being available for guests to be located and the dealers having their own dedicated site with some guests round the outside. This worked well and I believe that Glasgow was organised this year with that kind of plan in mind. It worked well.

I think the messages pre-event about buying tickets in advance were right but I did not actually feel that the crowd that was milling through the arena on Saturday was as large as perhaps it was thought it could become with walk-up "punters". It was a great atmosphere in the place and there were guests to suit all tastes and background likes. I would certainly echo the view that tickets - particularly early bird tickets - should be bought in advance. My son and I got in on Saturday around 9am and by about 10am had got our bearings and, indeed, seen about 85-90% of those we particularly wanted to meet.

I would say however that I did post a couple of queries about late guest announcements as regards online ticketing - I am thinking of the Clive Russell thread - which went unanswered all the way up to the event itself. By the time the shop closed it became apparent his tickets would be a matter of "on the day" purchases and as we were in attendance both days my son and I did not miss out.

The photoshoots were brilliant. Granted there were not as many in the queues as MK or LFCC but the staff dealing with everyone were very courteous and ensured you knew exactly where to be at any point in time. I saw the photographer in passing in the main arena and made sure I complimented him on the quality of the photos he has overseen - not just here but at the other shows I have attended previously. Also the fact you now get the photo within seconds of the shutter closing is such a huge improvement on the bad old days of runners heading to Boots to print them all out.

Jason - a comment directly for you if I may. SJ introduced you to me and my son at the Tardis photo area on Sunday late on in the afternoon. I think this was a great event and I think you and your team should all be commended for that. I would like to thank you for running these events which I have been able to attend over the years meeting many fantastic people and hearing about their work. With growth and success come challenges and I would like to comment on a couple of points from my own experience which may help in formulating plans for the future.

I think some of the regular stall holders may have taken a view on attending Glasgow with all the other shows that are on which may be closer to their own bases - I am thinking from my own perspective about the photo stalls that are usually on show at MK. They used to come to Glasgow and I did not feel that the "punter" wanting to hunt through and buy still photographs was really catered for this time around and that may be something you want to think about for the future of this show. It is something that can be a great way to fill some time waiting for a talk or photoshoot particularly if, like me, it is all about autographs or photos rather than anything else on sale.

I make the point because I have found myself in MK looking for a particular type of photo for a guest which may not be similar to the ones on the table beside the guest. I know it is all about personal choice what you get signed. In those cases it was good to have the option of searching one out - or searching several out for mailing out to people later - and I did not feel catered for in that respect at this event - or the last Glasgow event for that matter. I would note that I was, however, extremely happy with the table photos this time. There was a great choice for the guests I went to see and I found what I wanted.

There did, however, also seemed to be a lack of anyone selling the plastic folders which have proven useful before for safely carrying signed photos around the event and then home. I found this out after the first purchase of the day and managed to hunt out a slightly more inferior option. It would have been really disappointing to have gone home with crushed photos due to the lack of such options. Its the sort of things that Showmasters themselves could supply at a desk similar to the one selling the photoshoot tickets if it came to that.

I will stop now. Thank you Jason and the team - it was a great event and I have many good memories to take home with me.

Murray

Doesnt need to b same scale as lfcc or even mk but we re not moving forward!!! Cant say nxt year will b bigger an better when show takes a step back! I no there was cancellations an 1/2 were major!! But sm must b prepared for that and not havin that many in first place prevents show from growing! This weekend definatly showed the difference from previous years!!

Im not meaning to sound rude or disrespectful to other guests!! There were good guests!! Various genres But not enough in my opinion. Maybe I should try accept this is how our show is going to b with the odd surprise and b gratefully for the money I save to use for the bigger shows

Doesnt need to b same scale as lfcc or even mk but we re not moving forward!!! Cant say nxt year will b bigger an better when show takes a step back! I no there was cancellations an 1/2 were major!! But sm must b prepared for that and not havin that many in first place prevents show from growing! This weekend definatly showed the difference from previous years!!

I find it puzzling how you can say there were no major guests. There were 7 people who are or have been in the biggest worldwide hit on TV at the current time.

Any comment like this (from either your or my prespective) will be tempered by personal interest and preference. I did not think Glasgow was not moving forward - I mentioned in a previous post that there was one year I did not attend. That was because that year there was no-one that grabbed my attention. Personally, this time around, I met one of my favourite Scottish actors in Clive Russell. That would have been enough but I ended up meeting all sorts of people in whom I had an interest.

I do not think you are ever going to get the kind of name LFCC or MK will attract. I for one was delighted with this year's attendees.

Where did I say there were no major guests?????? ??????

That would b very disrespectful to the guests who were there! And I clearly stated that!!! I dnt understand why there couldnt b more! Last year was just a taste of wot could b accomplished! Thats why I mentioned, not having the shows in Newcastle, cardiff, Sheffield- wouldnt that b less hassle for sm for getting guests? For mk, london, glasgow and the now belfast. Mk is just as massive as london ok london is the busiest but mk doesnt affect lfcc and its held 2 months apart!! Then u have the winter shows!! How can glasgow and belfast not b as successfu at the other side of the country??l. Im sure if the same quality is put in, people will also travel from englund up to these 2 shows

I find it puzzling how you can say there were no major guests. There were 7 people who are or have been in the biggest worldwide hit on TV at the current time.

Any comment like this (from either your or my prespective) will be tempered by personal interest and preference. I did not think Glasgow was not moving forward - I mentioned in a previous post that there was one year I did not attend. That was because that year there was no-one that grabbed my attention. Personally, this time around, I met one of my favourite Scottish actors in Clive Russell. That would have been enough but I ended up meeting all sorts of people in whom I had an interest.

I do not think you are ever going to get the kind of name LFCC or MK will attract. I for one was delighted with this year's attendees.

We no it's never going to be as big as LFCC or MK and were not asking it to be.but we can get better guests than this.. Edited by malky

We no it's never going to be as big as LFCC or MK and were not asking it to be.but we can get better guests than this..

I am intrugued to know who you actually have in mind.

Not asking for a big movie star but people like

Ford Kiernan

Greg Hemphill

Paul Riley

Mark Cox

Jane Mccarry

Sanjeev Kohli

Doug Bradley

Ken Kirzinger

Heather Langenkamp

Cris Sarandon

Alex Vincent

David Tennant

all possible guest for glasgow

Edited by malky

Not asking for a big movie star but people like

Ford Kiernan

Greg Hemphill

Paul Riley

Mark Cox

Jane Mccarry

Sanjeev Kohli

Doug Bradley

Ken Kirzinger

Heather Langenkamp

Cris Sarandon

Alex Vincent

David Tennant

Marc Singer

Frank Ashmore

all possible guest for glasgow

Edited by malky

I personally thought that the event was fantastically run and I had a fab time on the day I went. If we're talking about Glasgow/London, from my experience what David B is saying is spot on, and that is no one's fault. Besides, at the smaller cons like Glasgow, you are able to have a proper conversation with the guests unlike London, where it's often a case of 'K,Thanks,Bye.'

• Like 1

Schedule s and availability will always b an issue! With englund having 2 major shows, its just my fought but would it not make sence to strengthen the scottish show and belfast? Thats all im trying to ask but unfortunately people are coming to there own conclusions( I dnt even think there reading my posts) why the negativity? Is it wrong to better the last or at least b on same level. Every mk an lfcc gets better!? Same rules apply. ...wot is it james l jones said...if u build it they will come ;)

I think a better way of saying it is just look at the crowds last year compared to this year and last year the main person people went for was Robert Englund who is known for horror movies. On these forums there is no difference, everything is just personal preference as far as who is a big guest and who isnt but outside of this forum, the casual fans certainly spoke loud and clear not only last year but this year too.

But of course no one will ever admit that horror is a draw. Horror conventions only exist in America and mainland Europe. They don't exist in the UK because the UK is dominated by television. Television shows such as Game of Thrones and Dr Who which are always represented at events but again people felt something was lacking this year. Maybe it's went the same way as Harry Potter and Star Wars where a lot of people have been there and done it and bought the t shirt....literally. They want something new and different or stars from those shows that have never done a show before or a big reason to do the travelling. I do agree with the Scottish stars thing and the shows like Still Game, that would draw in a very big audience, I think they are set to make over £10 million in ticket sales for their live shows in October. I wouldn't be against things like DVD signings or having musical acts perform and do signings also. Why not open the whole format up completely.

• Like 1

I personally thought that the event was fantastically run and I had a fab time on the day I went. If we're talking about Glasgow/London, from my experience what David B is saying is spot on, and that is no one's fault. Besides, at the smaller cons like Glasgow, you are able to have a proper conversation with the guests unlike London, where it's often a case of 'K,Thanks,Bye.'

agreed on the smaller scale. i didn't expect to get a chance to talk at all at autographs or photo ops and i had some really good conversations at autographs and quick conversations (more than just 'hi *snap* thank you' at least) during photo ops. i'd rather it was smaller and more personal in that way than bigger guests where they barely have chance to look at you while they sign something. :)

• Like 1

Exactly!!! We have so much talent! U look at all the guest suggestions from people, all kinds of genre! Horror is a big pull, robert englund is a legend! Ive personally met him 4/5 times and spent money on him every time. People are telling sm who they want but if u look at an earlier reply to one of my posts above-( people arent going to travel all over the world to glasgow)?? Well of course not....untill gcm grows!!! Just like lfcc and mk did.

There will never be anything more than a few horror guests in this country at any one show but I'm hoping the tide has turned I really am. I hope people in large numbers start turning away from these shows that have been going on for so long. I've nothing against Harry Potter and Star Wars and Dr Who and now Game Of Thrones and they wont ever go away completely but I think when it comes to these Collectormanias that there needs to be more variety and it's real easy to do, it isn't rocket science. You look at what society is doing. All you need to do is keep your finger on the pulse, look at what people are into and are watching and mirror that in the shows. If that means an Under The Dome or one of the big ones people have been asking about for years, The Big Bang Theory, then that is what you do. Or if it's people like me asking about horror stars, I loved George Romero in London. A big one in other parts of the world is the actors from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, they're doing the rounds and people love it. These shows could appeal to so many people that like so many different things. I think using those examples, if you had one actor from each of those shows or maybe 2 and not even major names from the shows and a horror name people will know, you'd have a great show, you'd have people travelling up here because it is such a wide mix of shows and movies and everyone of them is a household name.

CM Glasgow will never be the scale of the London shows, and nor should it be. I think with London there is always a very large amount of people unhappy with various things. It's almost too big for the 3 days that it is on. It is like a mad rush for everything and the smaller shows are better for interactions. I know that is not advertised or promised but in many peoples opinions, they're paying their money to meet the guests. Shows like Glasgow allow for conversation, time, handshakes, hellos, goodbyes, memories.

• Like 1

All very good points and very true! I luv doc who, thrones, star wars horror etc but glasgow is get repetitive. Needs to b kept fresh. There should always b some of the above! Classics! But need more modern guests from shows and shows that have maybe been off only past few years and missed greatly by fans