The Strain

Matthewman

Posted about Guillermo del Toro's The Strain under the US TV threads but nobody was in there and thought since it was horror themed, I'd try here (there may be slight spoilers below).

I've been recently pondering on starting Game of Thrones, just to fill the void until the walking dead starts back up again, simply because all my friends keep proclaiming GoT is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't think I'll start now as this beauty has just started. I'm aware of the books/comics, but never read them so this totally took me by surprise. As vampire lore goes, i'm digging the virus/parasite take on it and it had some genuinely creepy moments, as well as an awesome few moments with Andrew 'Wishmaster' Divoff.

Being a horror fan, I cannot express in polite words my hatred of those movies where vampires 'sparkle' in the sun and am so glad to see vampires back to being scary again.

Just wanted to see if anybody watched the first episode of the Strain and what they thought of it :WAVE:

Edited by Matthewman
  • Like 1

Watched the opening last night and really enjoyed but following the three hectic days crewing at LFCC, I fell asleep after ten mins, it was bugging me as I recognised divoff but couldn't place the name. Am going to watch the rest tonight.

• Like 1

There was a hell of a lot going on for one ep which has left me really intrigued

Agreed. I watched this last night and found the story to be too crowded for one episode.

To be honest, I've seen better pilot episodes, but I'm hoping it'll pick up in later episodes.

It's like the 'Body Snatchers' meets 'V' meets 'The Frighteners'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Half way through the first series so far and gotta admit, I'm loving every minute. So glad its been renewed for a second series although not sure if I can wait. I may have to purchase the books.

Also great to see the much underused Kevin Durand as one of the good guys for a change.

• 1 year later...

So I've just started this thanks to NowTV having the whole series on it, and I'm loving it!

Totally agree with the whole vampires sparkling, it's great to see a more gore filled take on it.

Now SM just needs to get more guests for it.