What would you do differently next time.

LFCC14 was my first convention and I had a great time! I got to see everyone I wanted and met some great people along the way. That being said there were loads of things that I wish I had done differently so I have started making a list of things for next time so I am more prepared and have an even better time.

This post is for things that you as an attendee will do differently next time, not what SM should do differently next time (there is already a post for that for our views to be considered/looked at) :smile:

Here are my must do's for my next convention:

• Wear better shoes - I literally got through a whole box of plasters in three days :no:
  • Plan better - I wasn't really sure what I was doing and kept getting lost so next time I am going to read the forum more carefully and get myself prepared.
  • Bring food with me - I didn't want to pay for food in EC and was scared to leave the hall just in case so I ended up not eating anything whilst I was at the convention and on the journey home as I didn't have time to stop anywhere. I was starving.
  • Stay in London Sunday night - save up a little extra just for this. Public transport is a nightmare on a Sunday and I had to run through the entirety of Waterloo station to get my train because there wasn't another one for over an hour.
  • Take my tablet/something to do - The battery on my phone dies pretty quickly so I ended up with nothing to entertain me whilst I was waiting to do stuff and on the journey home
  • BRING A CAMERA INSTEAD OF USING A IPHONE - I didn't take many pictures as my iPhone battery is terrible so I could only take pictures of the really important stuff.
  • Book Photo-shoot tickets in advance - I honestly just couldn't face the sales desk queue because I felt I might miss some autos/events if I did.
  • Talk to more people (this includes guests) - There were a couple of times where I felt too nervous to start up a conversation with people in queues and a couple of times where I didn't know what to say to guests. I have learnt this weekend that guests are just people like me so i should be more confident when speaking to them. I was fine with the real chatty ones but the others I just clammed up. :blush:
  • Check out more cos-play – I was so impressed with the cos-play and wish I had devoted a little more time to check it all out.
  • Do more talks – There were a couple I really wanted to go to but I wasn’t sure what was free or not so missed out (this links into planning).

What will you do differently next time? :smile:

• Like 2

Main thing would be choose a cooler cosplay....I was melting in 3 layers and a jacket. Go get vts for autos first...before standard tickets get let in. Do less talks to allow for doing prop shoots etc.

Do more than one day....especially if one of those is saturday.

Edited by LadyDeTemps
  • Like 2

I would have brought something not-Ghostbusters-related for Slavitza Jovan to sign. She looked deeply unimpressed when I asked her to autograph a Gozer-centric Ghostbusters comic, which at the time stopped me in my tracks and I wasn't sure what else to say after that.

Slavitza is a really ambivalent case of a convention guest. She didn't have a great time during filming of Ghostbusters, there were many things that were uncomfortable and annoying. In addition, I understand she's very religious and the idea of playing an evil God is pretty tragically ironic for her. However, if it wasn't for the Gozer role she wouldn't be at the con, so she does get some benefit out of it. I guess with her, due to natural shyness and brutal honesty with attendees, it was just a lot more obvious that she wasn't overly happy to be there.

If I could do the con over I'd have drawn/painted her as Joan of Arc and given the results ot her as a gift, just to show a bit of understanding for her predicament.

• Like 1

I feel I was a lot more prepared this year than usual which was good

But I would:

Take a little more food (took some lil bits but not much)

Don't decide I want an extra guest photoshoot and then attempt the sales queue

Socialize more :)

• Like 1

iv been coming to events for several years not. i tried to pack everything i needed- drinks, snacks, wet-wipes to freshen up etc but i still ran out of liquids and had to buy more. only thing i could do different is leave the jacket at home( it looked like it was going to rain when i left home in the morning) and bring an extra t-shirt to change into.

• Like 1

I agree with taking to more people. This was my first LFCC and I went on my own, not that I minded that but none of my friends are really into this sort of thing so I think it would have been cool to make some friends but I think I just got caught up in how amazing it was. I would also talk to the guests more, like you I think the nerves got the better of me but we learn from our mistakes so hopefully next time will be even better!

• Like 1

iv been coming to events for several years not. i tried to pack everything i needed- drinks, snacks, wet-wipes to freshen up etc but i still ran out of liquids and had to buy more. only thing i could do different is leave the jacket at home( it looked like it was going to rain when i left home in the morning) and bring an extra t-shirt to change into.

I took a collapsible umbrella but no coat and then when I left my friend's place to go catch the train to go home realised when I got to her gate that I'd left my coat inside :no:

I had everything I needed luckily. The first LFCC we got a sleeper up and back...thank goodness we had a hotel this time!!

I think I would just stick with daytime activities. Going to the screening in the evening after being up since half 4 in the morning was so difficult!!

• Like 1

Buy an early bird ticket rather than standard entry

Collect virtual queue tickets first so that I'm not disapointed about missing out on people that I want to see

Bring more water

Go on Sunday rather than Saturday

Plan everything further in advance so my sister can come with me

Try to talk to the guests more

Possibly cosplay (I have ideas for costumes for next year already but not so confident about them)

• Like 1

• Go on more than one day, I went on a sunday

find the stall franks Autographs, buy things from that stall. (Damn, I really regret that)

Ask more cosplayers for photos

Actually make that fez that I was supposed to, still haven't done that :mellow:

Go to some talks

Take more water

More Paul Mcgann photos :wub:

• Like 2

Don't make a costume that involves wearing heels. Boots are the way forward.

Pre buy more - be it vouchers or photoshoots - to spread the cost.

Make better plans when meeting friends. Because "I'll look out for you" doesn't work with THAT many people.

• Like 1

• Try and go Saturday (Maybe get a gold pass depending on funds)

Go to some photoshoots

Be more chatty to guests and people in queue

Plan better so I'm not running around like a headless chicken looking for Lena Headey's queue

Take photos of/with cosplayers

Get a photo on the Iron Throne if it comes back

Bring food

Go to some talks

• Like 1

I'm like a well oiled Terminator at shows, relentless to get to meet everyone I want to. The one thing I always wish I had more time for is the stalls. This year as well didn't have time for tslks either as was focussed on photoshoots and autos.

• Like 2

Try and not be so shy! I was fine with the really chatty guests because they ask questions about from how you are to where is the best chippy where you live, (Daniel Portman asked me about the chips :lol: ) but if they don't say much then I have no idea what to say pass "Hi, How are you?" and in the Finn and Gethin joint shoot they where kissing people on the cheeks and I was just too shy to ask them but I love my picture anyways :blush:

• Like 1