changes

Jestive

Myself and my two teenage children travelled down from Inverness for our first time this Collectermania and they both enjoyed themselves. We were able to take pictures of most of the people we wanted to, including a great time my son had with Chris Barrie and my daughter with Andy Hallet. We were prevented from taking pictures when we were in the q for William Shatner which was really disappointing and there being no conversation exchanged at all beyond a quick hello from under his baseball cap.

We found the crew helpful and pleasant. Roll on the next one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly well done everyone on having a sensible conversation about issues surrounding Collectormania, it has made interesting reading for myself, without the usual nastiness.

As a lot of you know I haven't gone to as many of Showmasters events as I would have liked, mainly because a part of me does not enjoy them as much. Mainly it is to do with my own personal preferences and so far none of the guests that have come along have really made me jump up and say I have to go to this event.

For me the best time ever was at C4, with the lovely Elijah, Sean and other hobbits. The atmosphere was totally buzzing, so whats changed....

Firstly I think it has a lot to do with the guests, whilst I appreciate there has been some guests that people have got very ecxited over (and fair play to them), for others there has been nothing all that exciting. How about a more wider range of guests. Whilst its nice for some people to see people from Dr Who or older films etc, lets try and have some more people from the new films that are out. How about trying for another big star again. Now I know I'll get my head bitten off for this, ut seriously when we had all the hobbits there the atmosphere was truly amazing, I don't think anyone can deny that.

I understand that SM's were going to put posters on doors to say where public should queue for their guests, meaning the very early birds. I still think a floor plan put on the website a week before the event would help. People can then walk staright to the allocated door, rather than wandering around trying to find place they should be in. You could make it perfectly clear that the floor plan is subject to change without notice, but at least it would give us a rough idea. It would also be helpful when trying to find the guests once your there. Obviously they are scattered all over the place.

I say stick with the party, its great fun but it does need some work on it to make it even more fun. I would suggest either lowering the place to something like £10.00 per ticket. Alternatively, keep the price at £15 bit give everybody their first drink free.

In addition how about having some raffles? There are plenty of stalls at the event, surely they could give some freebies that can be raffled off. This I believe would add a bit of fun to the evening, the money raised could be used to go to some sort of film related charity. So you see a little bit extra fun.

I would also agree to not having a live band, at these parties there is too many different types of tastes in music so how about this...

The upstairs room is used for those that like rock/indie/pop and such like and then maybe the downstairs room used for dance/hiphop etc. I noticed there was a couple of other rooms, albeit smaller, but how about having at least one extra room for people to have some time out in and chat. It might prove more expensive in the end perhaps, but it might also attract more people if all tastes are are catered for.

I don't think having food is a good idea, I remember the very first party and no offence SM's the food was appalling, take away pizzas???? I ask ya LOL, scrap the whole food idea.

As for guests turning up, I would suggest not saying they will turn up on your webiste, don't even mention it. That way if they don't turn up nobody can moan about it. If however one or two, or indeed all them turn up, well wahey what a bonus.

Prices of drinks, this seems to have been another big issue for the weekend. Mow surely you must be able to gain access to prices of drinks when booking the place. How about taking a copy and putting drink places either as a post on here or perhaps on the website. That way people can print it off, take it with them and know exactly how much they should be paying for their drinks, saves arguments on that front.

ok ok I know this is turning into a long post, I'll try and finish up soon LOL.

Another issue is photos with guests, I like the idea of having it pre arranged with the guests and having icons placed next to their name on the website. Welldone whoever it was that came up with it. It seems to me that it is posed pictures that are time consuming. Everybody getting into postion etc. If time is running out and the guests is happy for pictures to be taken, stop doing the posed pictures. Just let the public take a quick shot of the guests smiling and then move off. That way the guests is happy, the public is reasonably happy. Ok so its not a posed picture, but its something.

Now for the costume competition, I still think these are a great idea and give people who are brave enough to a lot of fun. How about announcing the winner at the party, make more of a big deal out of it. The people who do dress up have spent months planning and preparing. So how about making a bigger fuss of them in appreciation for the hardwork they do. Not only do they entertain themselves but they entertain everybody else as well.

Ok I am onto my last thing now and Jason I believe or I was told that both you and Davey or was it KB thats responsible for this...... here goes........

ORANGE CREW T-SHIRTS!!!!!!!! OMG yukky, ewwwww, blurgh!!! I totally agree that they make the crew stand, but for goodness sake they look like they have just been tango'd. Does it really have to be orange?? So can you have it green next time?? Or some other nice vibrant colour, just not orange, I hate orange.

Ok I'm done, feel free to rip my post to bits, these are just a few of my opinions and I do not expect everyone to share them. But its been nice to see people chatting about these issues without throats being ripped apart.

Love and kisses

Vamps (posing as Enzya because I need my other account fixed)

ps, sod the spelling mistakes I can't be bothered to go through and check it LOL.

For me the best time ever was at C4, with the lovely Elijah, Sean and other hobbits.  The atmosphere was totally buzzing, so whats changed....

C4 has been my fave so far as well but to be honest, with such high profile guests as those, it did get to the point where a lot of people felt it was getting out of control and dangerous.

I think a balance of old and new guests is good but maybe the really high profile ones should be kept to the pay to enter events so that numbers can be controlled.

I understand that SM's were going to put posters on doors to say where public should queue for their guests, meaning the very early birds.  I still think a floor plan put on the website a week before the event would help.  People can then walk staright to the allocated door, rather than wandering around trying to find place they should be in.  You could make it perfectly clear that the floor plan is subject to change without notice, but at least it would give us a rough idea.  It would also be helpful when trying to find the guests once your there.  Obviously they are scattered all over the place.

That's a brilliant idea. I always spend a while wandering around trying to locate the guests I want to see. It would be so helpful to have a plan to download so you know roughly where to head to straight away.

That's probably my favourite idea yet.

ORANGE CREW T-SHIRTS!!!!!!!!  OMG yukky, ewwwww, blurgh!!!  I totally agree that they make the crew stand, but for goodness sake they look like they have just been tango'd.  Does it really have to be orange??  So can you have it green next time??  Or some other nice vibrant colour, just not orange, I hate orange.

he he. I actually thought it was a great choice. I don't care if orange suits people or not, they need to be visible and they were, although the writing on the shirts was hard to read because of the vivid orange.

However, I might suggest that the more senior crew (in management terms, not age :huh: ) could have different colours so anyone who has a complaint or wants to speak to someone with more authority would know straight away who those people were.

• Moderators
However, I might suggest that the more senior crew (in management terms, not age :huh: ) could have different colours so anyone who has a complaint or wants to speak to someone with more authority would know straight away who those people were.

879617[/snapback]

The "pit bosses" in charge of each area wear RED ones :lol:

However, I might suggest that the more senior crew (in management terms, not age :huh: ) could have different colours so anyone who has a complaint or wants to speak to someone with more authority would know straight away who those people were.

879617[/snapback]

The "pit bosses" in charge of each area wear RED ones :lol:

879620[/snapback]

Ah, didn't know that - thanks for the correction. Obviously that's been thought of already then but I don't recall seeing any other colours so maybe red is a bit too similar to orange to be instantly differentiated? Stronger contrasting colours may help anyone who's colourblind too.

• Moderators
Ah, didn't know that - thanks for the correction. Obviously that's been thought of already then but I don't recall seeing any other colours so maybe red is a bit too similar to orange to be instantly differentiated? Stronger contrasting colours may help anyone who's colourblind too.

879627[/snapback]

The normal Collectormania crew t-shirts have always been dark blue before C8, so the red did stand out a lot from them.

I guess it depends on what they have planned for future events!

im glad i could help out. i hate the no phots rule just because there isnt enough tme for people to get through the line so, if the guest is willing,  i always try as hard as i can to get a few shots from the sidelines without slowing up the queue.

the pictures may not be posed but you and the guest are both in the shot so it proves that you were there, if only for your own memories.

im really pleased that your photos turned out and that i made the weekend a little more enjoyable for you. hope to see you at the event again.

gemma

=x=

878504[/snapback]

Although I love having a photo with a guest, I appreciate that it does take up time.

However, I do believe that once you have developed a brilliant system, why isn't this system being implemented with all guests (even the big ones!)?

Yep, I'm talking about writing your name on the back of your auto ticket. Solves the problem of spelling mistakes (which can take up time), and softens the blow for a lack of photos, I believe. A wonderful system that should be used more - and it also distinguishes between people who want their auto's signed our not!! Many a time have I had to ask guests afterwards for it to be personalised (I actually had to go up to Kate Mulgrew the next day).

878528[/snapback]

i agree that writing a name on the back of the auto ticket works wonders. but i dont believe it would save nearly enough time to allow posed photos on some of the busiest queues. plus there is the matter of what the guest wants. sometimes the guests dont want to pose and if that is the case there is nothing the crew can do.

still... its helpful for the guests, especially those hard of hearing.

as for the no flash rule someone mentioned... adam west requested this and it worked very effectively. i agree that some people dont know how to turn off their flash but in this instance i did. i have a bit of experience with cameras and i lost track of the amount of people i showed how to operate their flash.

but of course the majority of people in the queue are competant photographers and know exactly what to do, so it wasnt so much of a problem.

=x=

i agree that writing a name on the back of the auto ticket works wonders. but i dont believe it would save nearly enough time to allow posed photos on some of the busiest queues.

I don't believe that was what was being suggested, since the original poster (Jeni) said that the idea "Solves the problem of spelling mistakes (which can take up time), and softens the blow for a lack of photos"

I think the suggestion was that such a system should make personalisations more possible where there was a concern about the number of people wanting autos - I don't believe that the suggestion was that it would somehow generate enough time for photos as well.

i agree that writing a name on the back of the auto ticket works wonders. but i dont believe it would save nearly enough time to allow posed photos on some of the busiest queues.

I don't believe that was what was being suggested, since the original poster (Jeni) said that the idea "Solves the problem of spelling mistakes (which can take up time), and softens the blow for a lack of photos"

I think the suggestion was that such a system should make personalisations more possible where there was a concern about the number of people wanting autos - I don't believe that the suggestion was that it would somehow generate enough time for photos as well.

880681[/snapback]

oh right. i was just under the impression that because 99% of the time personalisations arent a problem that wasnt the issue. but i might have misread it. but like i said... writing a name on the back of the auto ticket works wonders.

=x=

For personalisations I normally take a pack of post it notes with me (they are pretty cheap these days) as I may be getting autographs for quite a few people and becomes difficult saying ' that ones for Ian,that ones for Gareth etc'. And of course I also take my own selection of coloured 'Sharpies' with me as sometimes the pen the guest is using isn't the best colour match for the photo.Plus at LFACC i wasn't going to get Ron Perlman singing as 'Hellboy' in any other colour than red!! The guest is normally OK with using your pen but remember to ask for it back !!