ANSWERS to FAQs - Regularly updated with show info

Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

My main hope for this thread is that Newbies will be able to get the info they want quickly. But also that it will help to stop the multiple threads that get started asking the same questions over and over.

Most things are in the FAQ Section so please look there before posting. If what you want to know isn't there or below, please do have a look at the previous threads to make sure it's not been asked and answered before. If not then please post I'm sure someone will know the answer :P

What I've tried to do is fill in some of the gaps by answering some of the old ones:

1 - BEFORE THE SHOW:

It's my first Collectormania I have no idea what I should do...HELP?

When is it?

What are the opening times?

Where is it?

How much is?

Will there be any more guests?

Who is signing what days?

Autograph prices?

What are gold passes and how do I get one?

2 - ON THE DAY:

Will there be a specific queue outside the venue for the big guests?

Is there a lower price for autographs on personal items?

How many autographs can I get at once?

What pictures will a guest have?

Are there any restrictions on what items can be signed?

Where will the guests be in the venue on the day?

What time should I get there?

What time does CMK Open?

Are the queues undercover if I arrive before CMK opens?

How busy will INSERT GUEST NAME be?

What are the guests like? A WARNING!!

What are Virtual Tickets and how do they work?

What time do the guests arrive?

What time do the guests have lunch?

What time do the guests stop signing?

Can I have a posed photo with a guest and will the guests be doing personalisations?

Can I go up with my friend/partner to see the guest, I'm not getting an autograph?

Can I see a guest without paying for an autograph?

What should I say to a guest and how should I act?

Can I give a guest a present?

3 - STALLS:

What do the stalls sell and what are the prices like?

Can I use Scottish or Northern Irish money at the event?

4 - TALKS:

What talks are there?

Where are the talks, and how far are they from the main event venue?

Are the talk tickets seat numbered?

What time should I get to a talk?

Are the talks worth going to?

Can I get autographs at the talks?

Can I have photos with the guests at the talks?

5 - PARTY:

Where is the party venue?

What time is the party?

What is the dress code at the party?

What is the age limit for the party?

What is the average age of the people that go to the party?

What is the party like?

What guests will be at the party?

Can I have photos with the guests at the party?

Can I get autographs at the party?

6 - DIRECTIONS:

How far is it to the main event venue from the train station?

How far is it to the main event venue from the MK Coachway (Bus Station by the M1 J14)?

Where is the Xscape center?

7 - USEFUL INFO:

How do I get to CM?

What hotel should I stay in?

Where can I leave my luggage when I get to MK on the first day?

Is there somewhere I can drop off the kids for a while?

What else is there to do in MK?

Where can I get onto the internet whilst at the event?

Where can I find a cash point?

Where are the nearest toilets?

Where is there to eat?

Where can I park in MK?

How can I get to MK cheap?

I need a good MK taxi company?

8 - DISABLED INFO:

I'm disabled where can I get info and help?

9 - OTHER:

How can I meet other forum members?

I want to crew an SM event?

1 - BEFORE THE SHOW:

It's my first Collectormania I have no idea what I should do...HELP?

The main thing is don't be too worried and don't panic. Some people see 15-20 guests in a day. Yes there are queues but if you're sensible about it you will see everyone you want to. You just need to make sure you get there at a reasonable time if you want to see any of the big stars. See What time should I get there? for more info.

The basic plan:

1: Make a list of who you want to see from the Collectormania website

2: Sort that list on who you think will be the busiest. So most popular first. You may have someone that's not so popular but you REALLY want to meet so you bump them up the list. It's also a good idea to try and group guests from the same film/series together as they will very likely be sat next to each other.

So you won't want to have (This is just an example, these guests were at C7):

James Marster (Buffy/Angel)

Sean Astin (LOTR)

Alexis Denisof (Angel)

John Ryes Davis (LOTR)

Because Sean and John would be sat next to each other and so would James and Alexis. You'd move Alexis up one so you got them at the same time.

3: Try and get to the Show before 9:00. Before 8:00 if you have 3 or 4 big names on your list like the one above.

4: Once you get in, don't look at the stalls. Go straight to the ends of the queues in the order on your list and get the Virtual Tickets (VTs are explained below). You may have to hunt for where the guests are, take a look at the question below on where guests will be.

Note: With some minor guests they won't have VTs. Don't worry about this it's because they won't have much of a queue all day. You can come back at anytime to get them.

5: Once you have VTs for everyone you want you can then relax, walk around the stalls and get a coffee.

6: Wait for your VT numbers to come up. When they do, go get those autos :P

Note: If you know you're going to want items personalised it's a really good idea to bring a piece of paper with your name clearly written/printed on it. This way you can give it to the guest and there is no chance of spelling mistakes.

Note: As a lot of the guests are £15 SM run out of £5 notes very quickly. So it's always very helpful if you bring along as many £5s as you can.

When is it?

30th Sept-2nd Oct 2006

What are the opening times?

Friday - 9am to 6pm

Saturday - 9am to 6pm

Sunday - 10am to 5pm

Where is it?

Middleton Hall, thecentre:mk, Midsummer Arcade, Central Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK9 3BA.

Which is number 1 on this map Milton Keynes MAP.

How much is?

Entry is free.

Will there be any more guests?

It is pointless to ask "Is that all the guests?" after guests have been announced as SM will never say YES. There is always the chance of extra guests at the last minute. So please don't ask.

Who is signing what days?

Showmasters have always updated the Collectormania website and don't answer posts on the forum. So just keep an eye on the website. SM will update the website once a guests days are confirmed. This is normally not until about 2 weeks before the show.

Do keep an eye on the forum and website on the run up to the event as they can and do change. If there is a major change at the last minute SM normally post on the forum as well as changing the website.

They have now been added for all guests, here's a list:

SHATNER, William - Appearing Fri afternoon 2pm-5pm, Sat & Sun morning 10am-12pm

ALLEN, Karen - All 3 days

ANNETT, Chloe - Sat

BADLAND, Annette - Sun

BACH, Catherine - All 3 days

BARRIE, Chris - Sat and Sun

BENZ, Julie - No longer attending!

BRENDON, Nicholas - Sat and Sun

BUSCH, Adam - Sat and Sun

CARTER, Michael - Sat

CODURI, Camille - No longer attending!

DAVI, Robert - All 3 days

DONOVAN, Kelly - All 3 days

ELENIAK, Erica - All 3 days

ENGLUND, Robert - All 3 days

GERARD, Gil - All 3 days

GLAU, Summer - Sat and Sun

GRANTHAM, Leslie - Sat and Sun

GRAY, Erin - All 3 days

HALLETT, Andy - All 3 days

HELFER, Tricia - Fri and Sat

HOATH, Florence - Sun

JOHNSON, Corey - Sun

JONES, Simon - No longer attending!

KASSIR, John - No longer attending!

LANGFORD, Bonnie - Sun

LOVETT, Norman - Sat

MARSH, Jean - Sat and Sun

MOLLOY, Terry - Sun

NEWMAR, Julie - No longer attending!

NORELL, Paul - All 3 days

OCONNOR, Tim - All 3 days

PYGRAM, Wayne - All 3 days

RODDENBERRY, Majel Barrett - All 3 days

SCHNEIDER, John - No longer attending!

SCOWLEY, Stacey - All 3 days

SILLA, Felix - All 3 days

SIRTIS, Marina - All 3 days

STAHL, Nick - Appearing Fri, Sat (all day) & Sun morning

TAYLOR, Sandra - All 3 days

VISITOR, Nana - No longer attending!

WEST, Adam - All 3 days

WING-DAVEY, Mark - Sat

Autograph prices?

SM have twice in the past posted the autograph prices before the event. But on both occasions not until the week before the event. Please lets not have lots of threads asking for the prices. SM will post them when they are ready and not before. If you want (need) to know, here is the rule of thumb....

Guests will normally be £15 or £20. On some rare occasions some have been £10 or £25. So it is best to budget for £20 per guest and then you wouldn't go wrong.

For a more precise price go to the MSPG website. They normally have most of the guests on there as a pre-order. They add £10 onto the autograph price on the day. e.g. If they are asking for £25, the guest will be £15 on the day.

This price list is based upon the MSPG pre-order price and my own experience, so is not a definitive price list but is here as a guide to the prices on the day.

ALLEN, Karen - £15

ANNETT, Chloe - £15

BADLAND, Annette - £15

BACH, Catherine - £15

BARRIE, Chris - £15

BRENDON, Nicholas - £20

BUSCH, Adam - £15

CARTER, Michael - £15

CODURI, Camille - No longer attending!

DAVI, Robert - £15

DONOVAN, Kelly - £15

ELENIAK, Erica - £15

ENGLUND, Robert - £15

GERARD, Gil - £15

GLAU, Summer - £15

GRANTHAM, Leslie - £10

GRAY, Erin - £15

HALLETT, Andy - £15

HELFER, Tricia - £20

HOATH, Florence - £15

JOHNSON, Corey - £15

LANGFORD, Bonnie - £15

LOVETT, Norman - £15

MARSH, Jean - £15

MOLLOY, Terry - £15

NORELL, Paul - £15

OCONNOR, Tim - £15

PYGRAM, Wayne - £15

RODDENBERRY, Majel Barrett - £15

SCOWLEY, Stacey - £15

SHATNER, William - £25

SILLA, Felix - £15

SIRTIS, Marina - £15

STAHL, Nick - £20

TAYLOR, Sandra - £15

WEST, Adam - £20

WING-DAVEY, Mark - £15

Note: As a lot of the guests are £15 SM run out of £5 notes very quickly. So it's always very helpful if you bring along as many £5s as you can.

What are gold passes and how do I get one?

Info on the C8 gold passes is >>HERE<<

To buy one, send an email to showmasters - info@showmastersonline.com

2 - ON THE DAY:

Will there be a specific queue outside the venue for the big guests?

For guests anticipated to be in high demand, notably William Shatner, we will do what we did with James Marsters' queue on the Monday at the last Collectormania: there will be a specific door each day set aside where people wanting his tickets can queue. Signs will be posted each day on all the doors near Middleton Hall making it clear which door this will be. When the venue opens, that queue will be walked in to where the virtual queue tickets for the guest are to be handed out. Anyone attempting to queue jump will be put to the back; anyone queuing at a different door will be at the back. People who queued at the designated door will be given tickets first, in the order they have been queuing.

Is there a lower price for autographs on personal items?

No, the price shown is per autograph. This is the same price for either personal items or the show provided pictures.

How many autographs can I get at once?

The max number of autographs is 5 per person.

If you want more than 5, then you can either go up when the queue is quiet and then the crew will normally allow you to have up to 7 or 8. Or simply queue multiple times and get up to 5 each time.

What pictures will a guest have?

SM do not post what pictures a guest will have in advance. There are reasons for this that I'm not going to go into. When you get there you can ask to see the pictures and if there are none you like you could go and buy one. There are always lots of stalls with good quality 8x10 photos. Saying that it's always a good idea that if you want a specific image signed, get it in advance and bring it with you.

Are there any restrictions on what items can be signed?

It really depends on the guest. Some are very picky some aren't. Basically if you THINK there is a CHANCE the guest will not sign your item. e.g. It's not official, it's a nude/semi-nude picture. Then make sure you have a back up.

You may want to bring along another item or picture with you but do remember when you pay for an autograph you are entitled to one of the guests 8x10 pictures for free. So do take one, that way if the guest will not sign your item for whatever reason you have the picture to be signed instead.

Where will the guests be in the venue on the day?

For Collectormania 6 a venue map was posted showing where the guests would be. The problem was that almost as soon as it was posted it was out of date. The best thing to do is ask a member of the crew on the day when you get in. All of the guests do have very large boards with their picture and name on.

Take a look at this CMK MAP, You'll see in the middle is thecentre:MK

The guests will be in one of 4 places:

At either end of Middleton Hall (This is the area to the left of John Lewis), the guests will be facing outwards (North and South), or down either side of John Lewis.

What time should I get there?

This is such a hard one. And you will get at least 4 different answers if you post a thread about it. The problem is that it really depends on one BIG thing. Who you want to see (i.e. how busy they'll be)!

Rule of thumb for really big guests (Carrie, Elijah, James Marsters, etc):

Get there by:

7:00 - You'll be in the top 200 and will see them about 10:00-11:30

8:00 - You'll be in the top 400 and will see them about 11:30-13:00

9:00 - You'll be in the top 600 and will see them about 14:00-15:30

10:00 - You'll be in the top 800 and will see them about 15:30-17:00

11:00 - You'll be in the top 1000 and you MAY NOT get to see them.

This is a rule of thumb as I say, and is for the BIG guests only. The normal £15 guests you will be able to see without much trouble.

The main thing is you don't HAVE to be there at 6:00. As long as you are there by 9:00 you will get to see the big guests. You will just have to wait until the afternoon though. Saying that if you want to see 3 or 4 of the big guests you'll need to be there for 8:00. If you leave it until 11:00 you will very likely be disappointed.

It is always busier on the weekend. So if the guest you want to see is doing a Friday or a Monday (there is no Monday at C8) you are better off going then. For instance James Marsters had a stupidly long queue on Sunday @ C7 and over a 1000 Virtual Tickets were given out. But on Monday he had an open queue by 14:00.

What time does CMK Open?

The doors of the centre do not open until 9:00. Yes at Collectormania 4 the doors were opened early but this was done for Health and Safety reasons and has not happened since.

Are the queues undercover if I arrive before CMK opens?

If you arrive at the show before CMK opens you will have to queue outside. Most of the queues do not have any cover so do bring wet weather gear if you think it's likely to rain.

How busy will INSERT GUEST NAME be?

The honest answer is no one really knows for sure.

A basic check list for if someone will be busy:

1: How popular the guest is. You know if the guest you want to see is a BIG name or not. If they are a BIG name they are going to be busy FULL STOP.

2: Has the guest not done many events before. Even if someone is not a BIG name, if they're rare they are likely to be pretty busy.

3: Is the guest only going one day. Everyone has to see them on the same day, making the queue longer.

4: Are you going on the weekend. Weekends are always "A LOT" busier than the Friday and Monday (there is no Monday at C8).

At each event there are the BIG names and the rare guests, and they are going to have the long queues. Elijah @ C4, Carrie @ C6, James Marsters, Jolene Blalock and Alexis Denisof @ C7. Apart from these BIG names and rare guests you should not have a problem getting to see the guests you want. Although once you've got your Virtual Tickets you may have to wait until the afternoon to actually see the guest. As I've said above get there before 9:00 and you should be fine to get who you want. If you want 3 or 4 BIG/Rare names then I suggest you get there a bit earlier say 8:00.

Here is a list of all the guests going to C8 so far and I've put them into groups of how busy I believe they will be.

SHATNER, William - He will be very busy. And on Friday and Sunday he is only doing half days.

Friday - He'll get through about 400 tickets. So be there by 8:00, after that I'll be surprised if you get to see him.

Saturday - He'll get through about 1000 tickets, So be there by 9:00, after 10am I'll be surprised if you get to see him.

Sunday - He'll get through about 300 tickets. So be there by 7:45, after that I'll be surprised if you get to see him.

GROUP 1 - Will be busy so you should be there by 10am at the latest to get VTs (at 10am you'll get a ticket number of 800-1000 and you'll be waiting until about 4pm to see them). Arrive after 10am and it's likely you'll not get to see them:

BRENDON, Nicholas

HALLETT, Andy

HELFER, Tricia

STAHL, Nick - Nick is doing a half day on Sunday so be there by 9:00 at the latest if you want to see him on Sunday.

GROUP 2 - Will have VTs but only 400-600 will be taken and they will likely have an open queue by 4pm. As long as you're at the show for about 6 hours (9-3, 10-4, 11-5) you'll definitely see them:

ALLEN, Karen

ANNETT, Chloe

BACH, Catherine

BARRIE, Chris

BUSCH, Adam

DAVI, Robert

ENGLUND, Robert

GERARD, Gil

GLAU, Summer

GRAY, Erin

LOVETT, Norman

PYGRAM, Wayne

RODDENBERRY, Majel Barrett

SIRTIS, Marina

WEST, Adam

WING-DAVEY, Mark

GROUP 3 - May have VTs at the start of the day but will have an open queue by around 1pm. There will be no problems seeing them:

ELENIAK, Erica

MARSH, Jean

MOLLOY, Terry

NORELL, Paul

OCONNOR, Tim

SILLA, Felix

TAYLOR, Sandra

GROUP 4 - Will have an open queue all day:

BADLAND, Annette

CARTER, Michael

DONOVAN, Kelly

GRANTHAM, Leslie

HOATH, Florence

JOHNSON, Corey

LANGFORD, Bonnie

SCOWLEY, Stacey

What are the guests like? A WARNING!!

The guests are only human. I'm not going to get into the "They get paid to be there they should be nice to everyone" argument. They have bad days just like the rest of us. Most of the guests are very nice and polite, but do be aware the guests will not always live up to your expectations and might be grumpy, not talkative or even just sign your picture without looking up at you. Basically it's always safer to start with low expectations rather than expecting the world and being upset when you don't get it.

Saying this though, don't forget that we all react better to a smile than a frown. Go up to the guest smiling and looking happy to meet them and you're more likely to get a good response in return.

What are Virtual Tickets?

To help cut down the amount of time you have to spend standing in a queue SM have introduced a virtual queuing system. When you join the end of a guest's queue you will be handed a ticket with a number on it (your Virtual Ticket).

You do not pay for the Virtual Tickets they are free. You pay per autograph when you come back and get into the queue.

Virtual Tickets are given out ONE PER PERSON, you will only be given one ticket. If you want to get a ticket for a friend there is nothing stopping you from joining the queue again and getting another ticket ;) Just remember it will only be one ticket for each time you queue up.

Only a ticket holder will be able to join the queue once their number is called. If you are planning to accompany someone (to take photographs or help carry bags, etc) you will still need a ticket, even if you are not planning on getting an autograph yourself. This does also apply to adults accompanying children.

The Virtual Tickets start to be given out at 9:00 when the centre opens.

Queue tickets for all guests will be handed out once the doors to the Centre MK officially open at 9 a.m. (Friday and Saturday) / 10 a.m. (Sunday). This includes William Shatner; although he is not arriving until later in the day on Friday, we will hand out his queue tickets in the morning rather than potentially have people queuing all day until he arrives.

Once you have your VTs you are free to to wander around the event or join other queues. Ticket numbers will then be announced (in batches of around 30) once the previous group of people have their autographs, and you can then join the much smaller queue of fans who hold those numbers. There will of course still be some queuing involved! The numbers are sometimes called over the shopping centre tannoy, but these can be hard to hear. If you don't want to have to keep going back to the guests queue to see what number they are up to, you can check one of the white boards in Middleton hall.

These white boards are situated on the right outside edge of the guest areas (when looking at the guests) at either end of Middleton hall. They are kept up to date every 15 minutes or so.

The numbers shown are for any number UPTO that number. You can go up anytime after your number is called. So if you have ticket number 100 and the board is showing 200, this is fine, you haven't missed your turn.

What time do the guests arrive?

Normally this is 10am, but can and does change.

What time do the guests have lunch?

Guests go for lunch anytime between about 12:00 and 14:00 for about an hour. So don't worry if they're not there. They'll be back.

What time do the guests stop signing?

As a norm if a guest is busy they will continue signing until about 17:30. But it is not a good idea to leave it this late. Sometimes if a guests queue goes quiet they will leave at about 16:30. So as a rule of thumb don't leave it until after 16:30 to join a guests queue.

One other thing to be aware of is that guests leave for their talks about an hour before the talk starts. And as a norm they will NOT come back afterwards. So if you know a guest has a talk make sure you get into their queue at least an hour and a half before the talk. So do take this into account when you prioritise your guests. A guest going to a talk at 17:00 is going to be leaving at 16:00, so you'll want as low a VT number as possible to make sure you get seen before they leave.

Can I have a posed photo with a guest and will the guests be doing personalisations?

As a norm this is fine, the guests will do posed photos and do personalisations.

However sometimes it is necessary for there to be no posed photos and/or no personalisations. Due to the guest being busy etc. I'm not going to get into the argument about whether this is right or wrong, I'm just telling it as it is.

If for any reason a guest is not doing posed photos and/or personalisations there will be a sign up at the end of their queue and behind them at the signing desk. This can and does change thoughout the day, so do check for the signs when you go up to get your autograph, as they may have changed since you got your VT.

Please do remember that the signs are there for a reason, don't try and ignore them because the crew will have to intervene and it can get very embarrassing for all (especially the guest).

If you are really desperate only to have a personalised autograph and/or posed photo, and wouldn't bother otherwise, and it's a big guest so they are likely to be busy. You can do one of two things, to give yourself a better chance of getting a personalised autograph and/or posed photo.

1: Get there as early as you possibly can, and be in the first 100 or so.

2: Leave it to the end of the day (4-4:30pm) when queues may have died down. But remember not to leave it too late (after 4:30pm) as if they're quiet the guest may leave. You are very likely to still need a VT, so do get one by 10am at the latest.

If you know you're going to want items personalised it's a really good idea to bring a piece of paper with your name clearly written/printed on it. This way you can give it to the guest and there is no chance of spelling mistakes.

Can I go up with my friend/partner/child to see the guest, I'm not getting an autograph?

The answer is yes. But please be aware that if it is not an open queue you WILL need your own VT. Without a VT you will not be allowed to join the queue with your friend/partner/child. They are free so please make sure you take one when your friend/partner/child does. This does also apply to adults accompanying children.

Can I see a guest without paying for an autograph?

Firstly the best thing to do is (as above) to go up with someone that is getting an autograph. Please be aware that if it's not an open queue you will need your own VT to join the queue.

If you don't have someone who's getting an autograph to go up with, then the follow guide lines apply:

For guests with a seperate photo table, as long as they have no queue, please go and ask the member of crew at the end of the queue, or on the photo table. The crew will be able to tell you at the time if it's OK for you to go and speak to the guest.

For minor guests without a separate photo table feel free to chat to the guest, but again only if there is no queue.

Three things to remember if you're going up without someone buying an autograph:

1: Paying customers have priority, so if you're talking to a guest and a paying customer arrives you should move along straight away.

2: Virtual Tickets are for people wanting autographs, please don't take them if you just want to meet the guest. Even with a VT you will not be allowed into the queue without paying for an autograph. As I've said above if there is NO queue then you can ask if it's OK.

3: The show is there to make money, it's how we get such good guests in the first place. So do not take it personally if the crew says no. There can be reasons that are not obvious to you as to why they've had to say no.

What should I say to a guest and how should I act?

The main thing to remember is THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN. Yes they've been on TV or in a film but they're no different to you or I. What would you say to someone you meet in the pub? Just be yourself.

So a good start is:

Hi, I'm YOUR NAME. It's nice to meet you, how are you today?

Not a good start:

Wibble...*stare*...*giggle*...*run*

How friendly you can or should be with the guests is obviously a personal thing to both you and the guest. Like with anyone you meet you can normally gauge if someone is going to like personal interaction or not. Just use your common sense. If the guest looks happy and bouncy and you want to hug or kiss the guest. Ask nicely and maybe you'll be lucky. Pretty much all the guests are happy to shake your hand, so just put it out there :P

You may have a specific question you want to ask. Just ask it.

If not, you can always use the old tried and tested ones:

What are you working on at the moment?

Did you enjoy working on xxxxxx?

Do you keep in touch with anyone from xxxxxx?

What's your favourite episode/scene from xxxxxx?

Do you enjoy doing events like this?

If they're from the US - How do the UK events compare to the US ones?

If you hadn't guessed you may want to replace xxxxxx with the name of the film or program you liked them in ;)

Can I give a guest a present?

There is no problem with giving gifts. Please do be aware that the guests rarely take these things with them when they leave.

Basically don't waste your money on anything too expensive. Either go for something they may like to eat or drink (sweets, chocolate, beer). Or something different and personal. I know one girl on here that gives people vegetables. Sounds odd but they remember her and that's the point really, you want them to remember you from the crowd.

Trust me you'll get the same positive reaction out of a £1 bag of sweets or a 4 pack of beer as you will out of a £10 generic teddy bear and they're more likely to enjoy the sweets, than to take the bear home.

3 - STALLS:

What do the stalls sell and what are the prices like?

DVDs, autographs, toys, weapons, cloths, posters, trading cards, pictures, books. Pretty much if it's film or TV related you're likely to find it on one of the stalls.

You can find some very good deals, I have in the past. There are also things there you'll not see anywhere else. On average things are about the same price as on the web. But of course in this case you get it there and then and have the fun of browsing the stalls :P

Can I use Scottish or Northern Irish money at the event?

You should be aware that Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are not legal tender in England, but are legal currency. This means that the stall vendors and SM do not have to accept them, although they may choose to do so. We would suggest that to minimise disappointment and inconvenience that you try to bring predominantly English banknotes with you, or obtain them from a cashpoint/bank local to the venue (please see below about where cash points are).

4 - TALKS:

What talks are there?

BUFFY AND ANGEL CAST TALK - Saturday 5pm-6pm @ EasyCinema - £20

DOCTOR WHO TALK - Sunday 4pm-5pm @ EasyCinema - £15

Where are the talks, and how far are they from the main event venue?

Currently the talks take place at one of two venues. The main event venue is number 1 on the Milton Keynes MAP

Dons Stadium (number 2 on the map), it's about a 20-30 minute walk, or a £4-5 taxi ride.

EasyCinema (number 3 on the map) , it's about a 5 minute walk.

Are the talk tickets seat numbered?

No the talk tickets are not seat numbered, it is a first come first served system. You sit where you like (in a free seat ;)).

What time should I get to a talk?

Firstly the talks are not over sold so if you have a ticket as long as you get there before the start time you will get a seat.

If you want to sit in the front 3-4 rows you need to be there at least 1 hours before the talk.

Are the talks worth going to?

The talks have always been very good fun. It is obviously a very personal thing, and I can only give my opinion which is I've never come out of one feeling it wasn't worth it.

Can I get autographs at the talks?

No, it is a talk only. The main event is for autographs.

Can I have photos with the guests at the talks?

No there are no posed photos at any of the talks, but you can get photos OF (not with) the guests doing the talk. No video cameras are allowed.

5 - PARTY:

Where is the party venue?

The party is held at the Dons Stadium (number 2 on the Milton Keynes MAP). The main event venue is number 1 on the map.

What time is the party?

Doors open 7pm. Bar closes 12am. Finishes 1am.

What is the dress code at the party?

Basically no dirty or ripped clothes. I don't mean ripped in a fashion sense, you know what I mean. Don't turn up looking like you just walked off a building site and you'll be fine. At the last couple of parties we've had everything from t-shirts and jeans to smart suits, girls in only their underwear to full blown costumes. Wear whatever you are comfortable in.

What is the age limit for the party?

At previous parties there has been no age limit. If you're under 14 you should be accompanied by an adult though.

The age limit at the bar is the normal 18 for alcohol.

What is the average age of the people that go to the party?

From what I've seen before it's a pretty even spread of ages:

Under 16 - 15%

17-21 - 35%

22-30 - 35%

Over 30 - 15%

Yes for the earlier part of the evening the dance floor is primarily the younger crowd. But as I said just let your hair down and have fun.

What is the party like?

The party is just like a big birthday party. Bouncy castles, a bar and a disco. Some people haven't much liked the music at the previous parties but you can't please everyone all of the time. It's one of these thing's were IT'S AS FUN AS YOU MAKE IT! If you sit around mopping and complaining it's cr@p, it will be. Get up, meet some new people, have some fun and you'll have a great time.

Also at the C8 party there will be rides in The General Lee from Dukes of Hazard and also in KITT from Knightrider others to be announced, and if riding in cars is not your thing then why not have a go at the inflatables that will also be there for extra entertainment. There maybe some extra surprises at the party!!!!

What guests will be at the party?

Firstly, please DON'T buy a ticket to the party JUST to see a specific guest, this is what the main event is for. Things can and do change, even on the day. Someone maybe announced to be going to the party for months but then on the day they're feeling ill and can't go. Please only buy a party ticket to go to the party and have fun, not to meet guests, just see the guests as a bonus.

The honest answer is we don't normally really know who is going to be there.

When a guest is intending to go to the party it is normally posted under their name on the Collectormania website when their appearance days are confirmed. They are also sometimes added to the party ad on the Special Events Page. At times they may also be announced on the forum. So just keep an eye out.

Saying this at the last 2 parties only about 4 or 5 guests have been officially announced as coming but around 10 have actually turned up. So as I say we never really know :P

The guests that have shown an interest in going to the C8 party are...

Nick Brendon

Adam Busch

Erin Gray

Wayne Pygram

Andy Hallett

Robert Englund

Can I have photos with the guests at the party?

The honest answer is that people do take pictures with the guests. Just remember that the guests are there to have fun, not to be a puppet for lots of photos.

Can I get autographs at the party?

No, it's a party for the guests as well as you. They have been signing all day give them a break. Getting autographs is what the event is for. The party is for you and the guests to let your hair down and have a good time. Don't spoil it by asking for a freebie.

6 - DIRECTIONS:

How far is it to the main event venue from the train station?

The main event venue is number 1 on the map.

The train station (number 4 on the Milton Keynes MAP) is about a 20-30 minute walk to the main event venue.

A taxi will be about £4-5

Also almost all of the buses from the train station go to the Centre, with the exception of numbers 12, 16, 25, 27 and 30/31. Ask for the shopping centre bus station. Please look >>HERE<< for more specific info on buses.

How far is it to the main event venue from the MK Coachway (Bus Station by the M1 J14)?

It is not walkable, well OK it is, but it's about 6 miles and there aren't many paths around that area.

A taxi will be about £5-6

Almost all of the buses from the MK Coachway go to the Centre. Ask for the shopping centre bus station. Please look >>HERE<< for more specific info on buses.

Where is the Xscape center?

The Xscape centre is the large finger nail shaped building south of the main event venue which is number 1 on the Milton Keynes MAP

7 - USEFUL INFO:

How do I get to CM?

Take a look at the main site travel page

What hotel should I stay in?

There is hotel info on the main site hotel page.

But here is a more detailed review of some of the more popular hotels.

The below info was kindly supplied by Surfy_Sah

A - TRAVELODGE

(map and pictures shown)

TELEPHONE: 0870 191 1698

COST

£55prpn (per room per night) for Friday, Saturday, Sunday

£66prpn weekdays

PAYING FOR ROOM

rooms are secured when booking using credit or debt card details and will be paid for in full upon arrival

ROOM TYPES

Family (only type available online currently) - sleeps 2adults and 2children under 16

double bed will sleep 3 slim people and there is room for 2 on the floor so you could get 7people in the room if you really wanted to ;-)

DIRECTIONS FROM TRAIN STATION

walk straight out of the station for a few moments then take a left at the main road, the Travelodge can be seen across the road

DRIVING DIRECTIONS

see website

MILTON KEYNES (OLD STRATFORD) - DRIVERS ONLY

Travelodge MK OLD STRATFORD

some £26 rooms, dates not up yet

BOOKING FAQ

Travelodge FAQ section

CANCELLATIONS

Before 12pm on day of arrival, this can be done via website using sign in name and password or on the telephone, you will need to have your confirmation numbers/booking details ready

FOOD

Unfortunately, this Travelodge does not have a restaurant but continental breakfast (priced around £5-6 each) can be ordered at reception and there is a vending machine and other snacks available in the reception area

ADVANTAGES

5mins walk from train station

Literally across the road from the party venue (good for drunken staggerings!)

Extra people in rooms

Cancellation policy

Low cost

DISADVANTAGES

No where to eat on site

Around 20min walk to bottom entrance of the shopping centre (event at top end)

20/30min walk up to the Xscape Centre for City Limits and Sainsburys/Iceland

B - PREMIER TRAVEL INN

(map and pictures shown)

TELEPHONE: 08701 977 184

COST

£55.95prpn (per room per night) for Friday, Saturday, Sunday

£57.95 weekdays

PAYING FOR ROOM

Rooms are secured when booking using credit or debt card details and will be paid for in full upon departure

ROOM TYPES

Family - sleeps 2adults and 2children under 16 - sofa bed with pullout and double, bed will sleep 3 slim people and there is room for 2 on the floor so you could get 7 people in the room if you really wanted to ;-)

Double - double bed 3/4 people in room

Twin - 2 single beds 3/4 people in room

Single - 1 single bed 2/3people in room ;)

DIRECTIONS FROM TRAIN STATION

Probably too far to walk, £4 or so for taxi

If walking essential, go out of the station and straight up. after about 30mins come to the bottom of the (shopping) Centre MK. Go LEFT and you'll see the huge shape of the Xscape Centre. The Travel Inn is opposite, across the car parks.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS

See website.

CANCELLATIONS

Before 1pm on day of arrival, this can be done via website using sign in name and password or on the telephone, you will need to have your confirmation numbers/booking details ready.

FOOD

Travel Inn has it's own restuarant and there are several places to eat accross the road in the Xcape Centre

Breakfast - £7 for full English and £5 for buffet

ADVANTAGES

Literally across the road from the Xcape Centre

Cancellation policy (before 1pm on day and no fee)

5min walk accross the carpark to Sainsburys/Iceland

10mins walk to the shopping centre/event

Has a restuarant/pub on site

DISADVANTAGES

At least 30mins possibly 45mins walk to station

Same for party venue

Other full reviews coming soon!

Where can I leave my luggage when I get to MK on the first day?

The first port of call should be your hotel. Even though you won't be able to check in, most hotels have a room that you can leave your luggage and it will most likely be free. Probably best to give them a ring and ask.

Secondly you can use the lockers at the Snow Zone in the Xscape building. They are big enough to get a couple of large bags into. Not so sure about suitcases though. As long as it's not too big you should be fine. And it's about a £1 for the day.

The Snow Zone is right at the back of the Xscape centre.

Is there somewhere I can drop off the kids for a while?

Yes there is a Creche in the centre. It's located just off Middleton hall. It's in the top right of this Centre MAP

For more info take a look here. Creche Info

What else is there to do in MK?

For one lots of SHOPPING. Take a look at the centre website for more info on what shops there are http://www.thecentremk.com/

In the Xscape building (location is above) there is a cinema, bowling, skiing, climbing, arcade, internet cafe. Take a look at their website for more info Xscape info

Where can I get onto the internet whilst at the event?

There are always a couple of computers at the organisers booth which very near number 28 on this Centre MAP. These only allow you to go on to the Collectormaina website and the forum though.

There is a full internet cafe in Xscape (location is above)

Where can I find a cash point?

The nearest one I know of is at the Woolwich which is number 212 on this Centre MAP. It's next to BHS. It is a LINK machine so will take most cards and doesn't charge.

Most of the other banks cash points are on the outside of the building. If you go outside and walk down the side of the building you'll find one.

Where are the nearest toilets?

In the top left of this Centre MAP, you'll see the ladies marked, the mens is just opposite just off this map..

Where is there to eat?

In the centre: Pizzahut, McDonalds and Burger King, various cafes.

In the Xscape: Nandos (spicy chicken), Ask Pizza, Old Orleans (steaks, fish, even Croc), Franky and Benny's (Italian), Moon Under Water (Weatherspoons pub food)

As well as these there are plenty of good pubs around that do nice food. Just do a quick search on the web.

Where can I park in MK?

Take a look at this MK Parking MAP. The main event venue is Middleton hall which is just to the left of John Lewis.

Brown areas = Free, but do fill up by about 9am.

Yellow areas = Are 25p an hour.

Red areas = Are 75p an hour. So only use these if you really have to.

In the middle, to the left of the map, just under the EasyCinema you'll see a secure car park (the blue 'P'). This is £2 for the day on weekends and £3 for the day during the week. I believe that it doesn't open until 9am on weekends though so not so great if you're getting an early start.

How can I get to MK cheap?

Thanks again to Surfy_Sah for the info.

If you book early both the Megabus and the EasyBus are very cheap.

Megabus info:

Oubound from VICTORIA at 11am daily, inbound from MK COACH STATION at 5:40pm - only ONE per day! You must be there 15mins before departure.

Correct as of 2/9/05:

LONDON to MK

Thursday 29th Sept - FREE seats

Friday 30th Sept - £1 seats

Saturday 1st Oct - £1 seats

Sunday 2nd Oct - £1 seats

MK to LONDON

Friday - £1 seats

Saturday - £1 seats

Sunday - £1 seats now available on the website

Monday - FREE seats

I need a good MK taxi company?

Skyline 01908 222111

8 - DISABLED INFO:

I'm disabled where can I get info and help?

If you need general help Shopmobility is there to help, they have free Wheelchairs available to hire, and free advice. The number for the shop is 01908 695060.

If you have specific worries/concerns about the event. It's best that you email SM info@showmastersonline.com and explain your concerns. SM are very busy most of the time and do get a lot of mail so it's best to make sure you put something in the subject that makes it obvious what it's about, something like "DISABLED PERSON REQUIRES ADVICE". That way it will stand out.

The below was supplied by sully. The talk advice is more related to LFCC, at Collectormania the talks are not at the main venue so you may need to go to the talk venue early to talk to the crew.

Advice for disabled people who are planning to attend an event!

(by a disabled person who has tried it out!)

Showmasters have catered for people with a variety of disabilities at their previous shows, and in my own experience they are very helpful when you get there in their own words, they always endeavour to balance treating all attendees equally, while recognising at the same time that some may have special requirements.

If waiting in long queues is difficult for you, you can get a friend/carer to collect extra Virtual Queue tickets for you. Your friend/carer will need to explain to the crew member handing out the tickets that the extra ticket is for a disabled person. To prevent abuse of the system, the ticketer may ask for some sort of evidence. If you are able to be somewhere visible near the queue, then your friend/carer can point you out to them. If you can't manage to be nearby at the time, or your have a disability that is not immediately obvious, it's a good idea to bring along some sort of proof of your disability (if you don't have any, ask your doctor to write a letter) that your friend/carer can show to the ticketer. If you have any problems getting extra virtual queue tickets, ask to speak to the Pit Boss, who should be able to sort it out.

If you want to attend any talks and can't queue up for a seat, speak to one of the crew members at the talk room, preferably allowing plenty of time before the talk starts (if you can, try approaching them before the talks start in the morning, or during a lull when one of the quieter talks is happening). They should be able to help you avoid the queue and get a seat. If you can't get hold of a crew member, go to the Organisers Booth and ask there.

If you do not have anybody to queue up for you, or you have any other requirements not covered here, the best thing to do is to go to the Organisers Booth as soon as you arrive and talk to Showmasters. Explain what the problem is and what you need, and they should be able to sort something out.

The main thing to remember is IF IN DOUBT, ASK!

9 - OTHER:

How can I meet other forum members?

My god are you MAD????? OK most of us are alright. The main forum get together over a Collectormania weekend is the Friday night bowling meet. This is held in the City Limits bowling alley in the Xscape. You don't have to bowl, you can just go along to meet people and have a chat. Keep an eye in this section, and about 3-4 weeks before the event a thread will be started explaining what's going on.

Thread with info on Friday night meet

Thread to post in if you'd like the bowl at the Friday night meet

Thread to vote in to say if you're coming to the meet

There are various section meets that go on over the weekend too. I know at previous events groups for Stargate, LOTR and CSI have got together. Go to the fandons section, introduce yourself, make some friends and normally about 3-4 weeks before the event someone will post about a meet. Or you may want to start the thread yourself.

Also there is the ISpy sheets. These are sheets with forum members mug shots on. The iSpy Thread. You can then look out for other forum members and say hi.

I want to crew an SM event?

Take a look at the Crew Section

Send a mail to crew@showmastersonline.com

You won't get a reply straight away, but don't worry SM are good at making sure you get added to the list. About 6 weeks before the event you will receive an e-mail asking you for your details and when you are available to crew. Return this ASAP and you will receive an e-mail letting you know if you are crewing and when. For C7 this final mail was sent out only a week before the event but this was due to last minute issues. In the future they should arrive around 2 weeks before the event. You will receive an e-mail even if you aren't needed.

If you don't get asked to crew, it can be worth asking when you're at the event. Sometimes crew don't turn up and SM are short of crew for the day. Just go to the organisers booth outside Costa Coffee and ask.

UPDATES and COMMENTS:

If you have any new questions or think something I've put is incorrect please do post so that I can keep this as accurate as possible.

Also if it's helped you please post. It'll be nice to know it's been worth doing :P

Edited by Too Tall

round of applause for Too Tall doing this thread! he's mentioned it a few times and it's been written, wahoo!

SM I think it would be a great idea if you pinned this and/or a link to the FAQ section in the c8/LFaCC3 topics - forum and event regulars of course don't mind helping out the newbies but after the same Q's get asked time and time again...! :P

only one thing comes to mind for you to add Stuart, how about mentioning that it's £15 PER AUTO and that there is no (reduced) rate for personal autos? :P and mention that if you want a specific image signed by your fave actor, you may want to bring one with you!

again nice one dude!

surfy sah xx :(

• Showmasters Admin

Thanks guys I've made some updates based on your input :unsure:

Keep them coming. If we can get them all in one place it will help us and the Newbies.

Edited by Too Tall

Do not start threads for guests without doing some research ! ! !

The amount of people on here doing threads/polls for completely unrealistic people is insane.

I have seen Ian Mcdiarmd who will not do an event like this. Chris Lee same thing and then there are the Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Micheal J Fox, Pierce Brosnan threads. They need to realise that they have as much chance aas getting Alec Guiness to turn up!

I have no problem if its a fantasy guest thread, but I would much rather the boards had guests on thier that were more realistic. Do not even get me started on the Desperate Housewives thread that seems to have overtaken many fine movies and actors.

• Showmasters Admin
Thanks too tall ur a star 4 answering all my questions eventhough i am not a newbie :D

Wasn't just me but thanks.

I put Newbie in the title but I know there are a lot of NON-Newbies that have questions too :P

Great Thread!!

Just wanted to make sure it's kept bumped, it answered a lot of questions that I didn't know before my first collectormania. Thanks to all the lovely helpful people who answer all the questions.

• Showmasters Admin
Can't someone pin it?

The problem is that my answer about when to get there is very UNOFFICIAL. I've said if you get there before 9:00 you should get to see the big guests. But this is MY take on it. If I'm wrong someone can only complain at me, and as I've said it's a rule of thumb and not a definite guide.

If SM pin this, it's kind of making it official. And someone may take my answer as being from SM. And then complaint at SM if the information is wrong.

I understand this and know this is why SM can never get involved in threads about "when should I get there". Because they would be hung out to dry if they were wrong. So I've done it instead, because I think this is information that is useful to Newbies but can't be made official.

Hope that makes sense.

Saying that it would be nice :D

Edited by Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

1: Paying costumers have priority,

yayayayay im a paying COSTUMER! lol :o:angry:

Oops Freudian slip :D

I have corrected it :P

You guys do still have priorty though :lol:

Edited by Too Tall