Latest Guest Announcement - WILLIAM SHATNER

• Showmasters Admin

Latest Guest Announcement - William Shatner

Attending: Friday, Saturday & Sunday

star_trek_67341.jpg

After his honeymoon, Shatner returned to New York where he guest starred on numerous series, including the anthology programs Goodyear Playhouse, Circle Theater, Philco Playhouse, Studio One and the series The Defenders. Then came his movie debut, The Brothers Karamazov, with Richard Basehart. Not wanting to miss out on the Western genre that was so prominent in Hollywood, Shatner learned to ride a horse and to rope.
Next, Shatner landed the starring role in the two-year Broadway run of "The Secret Life of Suzie Wong." This was followed by "A Shot in the Dark" with Julie Harris and then "L'Idiote," all on Broadway.
In 1961, Shatner landed two films, "The Intruder," where he plays a rabble-rouser travelling from one Southern town to another, getting people to riot against court-ordered school integration. It was later released under the titles, "I Hate Your Guts!" and "Shame." Shatner also appeared in "Judgment at Nuremberg."
Then came the role for which he is undoubtedly best known: Captain James T. Kirk on Star Trek. Shatner actually came to the series for its second pilot, when Jeffrey Hunter declined to continue in the captain's role of Christopher Pike after the first pilot was rejected. Unfortunately, during the three years that Star Trek series ran, Shatner not only separated from his wife, but lost his father, as well.
Following the cancellation of Star Trek on NBC in 1969, Shatner went on to star in seven Star Trek films, make appearances in countless television series (including several long-running non-Star Trek series in which he played a leading role—TJ Hooker and Rescue 911, among them), and to serve as the long-term, highly visible pitchman for Priceline.com. Over the years, the actor's self-assertive sense of humour has come to define his career, and even translated into the personality of his Emmy Award-winning character, Attorney Denny Crane, of The Practice and Boston Legal. He also made such films as "Sole Survivor," and the Sherlock Holmes classic, "The Hound of the Baskervilles." Guest appearances on series like The Sixth Sense, Barnaby Jones, and Hawaii Five-O kept him in the public eye. In addition, Shatner has written numerous fiction and non-fiction books in and out of the Star Trek vein, and even become an iconic pitchman for over a decade with Priceline.com.
Off-screen, he raises champion American Saddlebred horses on his ranch in Kentucky, and then he produces and hosts the annual Hollywood Charity Horse Show, an event that raises money for various children's charities. Shatner appeared at conventions alongside Nimoy until his 2011 retirement, and then began sharing stage with Patrick "Picard" Stewart and Kate "Janeway" Mulgrew. Together on stage, the two provide a highly enjoyable hour of entertainment. In 2010-2011, Shatner starred in the CBS comedy $#*! My Dad Says, produced a special documentary The Five Captains for Science Channel with his four fellow lead actors, and also the 30-minute talk show series Raw Nerve. Another documentary, Fanatics, is in the offing as well.
Profile courtesy of StarTrek.com
  • Like 1

I cant believe William is the only guest that nobody had commented on! What a hero he is, such a great opportunity to meet a legend

Ironically, in the same way Sarah Michelle Gellar is the star of Buffy, I have never had the urge to meet Shatner. I meet guests because I want to rather than just because they are in a show I love. I know a few good people who will meet anyone and everyone from a show or film, but that is something I could neither afford or really get my head around.

• Like 1

I have never had the urge to meet Shatner. I meet guests because I want to rather than just because they are in a show I love

I felt the same at the origal DSTL, but still went to have my picture taken.

There's something special to having a moment like that captured because no matter how you look at it... Shatner and Nimoy are the very start of Star Trek.

Since you cannot meet Nimoy or Roddenberry anymore... meeting Bill Shatner is the closest you'll get to '50 years back' ;). (No, Mr. Koenig is 49 years back :P)

Maybe they'll sign Ms. Nichols or Mr. Takei too ?! (please do!)

Edited by Vivec

• Moderators

I have never had the urge to meet Shatner. I meet guests because I want to rather than just because they are in a show I love

I felt the same at the origal DSTL, but still went to have my picture taken.

There's something special to having a moment like that captured because no matter how you look at it... Shatner and Nimoy are the very start of Star Trek.

Since you cannot meet Nimoy or Roddenberry anymore... meeting Bill Shatner is the closest you'll get to '50 years back' ;). (No, not Mr. Koenig either :P)

Maybe they'll sign Ms. Nichols too ?! :).

I was always apprehensive about meeting Mr Shatner and can honestly say my meeting with him was one of the greatest highlights of my "convention life" Not only did he speak at the autograph table, I had the most amazing opportunity to walk onto the bridge of the enterprise with THE Captain Kirk sat in the captain's chair where he looked at me smiled said hi and even asked how I was, it was very brief but it was incredible.

The man is an absolute icon and I'm so pleased he's back.

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 2

Being a huge TNG fan, I didn't quite get the Shatner appeal, but I've come to appreciate him more and more. He is truly an icon and Trek fans are very lucky that after so many years, and so many TOS cast members have sadly passed away, that we still have Captain Kirk with us and he seems to enjoy doing these conventions even at the grand age of 84, although looks and acts like a man 20 years younger!

I have met him twice before, and from my own experiences and those of others I know, he has really got into these shows a lot more the over the last few years. I remember when people were complaining of a conveyor belt experience where not a word was said and he wouldn't even look up at you. Now he is smiling and talkative, and I even got a personalisation from him last time - which I NEVER thought I would happen.

I intend to get another auto from him this time, and make sure I get a photoshoot whilst I have the chance before it ends up being a convention regret.

• Like 1

with it being my first time to DST 2016, I can say that I'm actually a tad nervous with meeting Bill Shatner, reason being is I have heard stories of him being not very talkative or looking at you, but from what I read here, it looks like he actually interacts more now...but then anyone can have a bad day.

I know he'll be somewhere in the region of £75 but I don't mind paying that. I plan on getting about two autographs from Shatner - one on a monopoly board and the other will be a picture from Futurama - "Where No Fan Has Gone Before". hopefully with the others who did the episode - Nichelle, Walter and George (since Leonard, Deforest and Jimmy Doohan have passed on), though I would think it would be cool that if the new-trek actors get announced, I could get the likes of Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto to sign for both Bones and Spock.

with it being my first time to DST 2016, I can say that I'm actually a tad nervous with meeting Bill Shatner, reason being is I have heard stories of him being not very talkative or looking at you, but from what I read here, it looks like he actually interacts more now...but then anyone can have a bad day.

I know he'll be somewhere in the region of £75 but I don't mind paying that. I plan on getting about two autographs from Shatner - one on a monopoly board and the other will be a picture from Futurama - "Where No Fan Has Gone Before". hopefully with the others who did the episode - Nichelle, Walter and George (since Leonard, Deforest and Jimmy Doohan have passed on), though I would think it would be cool that if the new-trek actors get announced, I could get the likes of Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto to sign for both Bones and Spock.

last time he was £55 for the photo, £45 for the autograph. for his warmthness he was worth every penny.

last time he was £55 for the photo, £45 for the autograph. for his warmthness he was worth every penny.

Meanwhile his price is even higher (100 euros [= appr. 77 GBP] for his photo and I believe also for his autograph).

Edited by Queen_Sindel
Please do not mention other shows. Abbreviations don't mean that rule doesn't apply anymore. ;)

The less expensive the better but it would be nice if Shatner stayed somewhere around the £50 mark. Nearly £80 is a bit rich IMO.

Similarly, I think Patrick Stewart was £50 at DST3 but he was £25 at the first Collectormania I saw him at 4 years prior. Prices never seem to go down!

That's not bad, pretty good price. I know with LFCC I paid £25 for Christopher Lloyd's autograph last year.

The less expensive the better but it would be nice if Shatner stayed somewhere around the £50 mark. Nearly £80 is a bit rich IMO.

Similarly, I think Patrick Stewart was £50 at DST3 but he was £25 at the first Collectormania I saw him at 4 years prior. Prices never seem to go down!

The bigger the name, the bigger money they (can and will) ask... (glad I'm no Shatner fan...)

You mean Patrick's photo was 50 GBP? Kate's was -first time- 25 (as was her autograph).

Edited by Annick

Prices never seem to go down!

First time I met Ben Browder in the US the cost for an autograph was 80 dollars. Last LFACC he did the price was 25 Pounds.

*so knows how Chappie will react to this* :P

I know with guests I have met at LFCC over the past few years, the only expensive one was actually Stan Lee, but he was £45. So yea, I can see that prices can change :)

I met him at the last DST and had a photo with him, really nice man and not like the stories I heard when younger, you can feel his presence though like other great actors he exudes charisma and power, I want another photo with him but it really depends on prices of him and others, and as I've had one I shouldn't be too greedy.

First time I met Ben Browder in the US the cost for an autograph was 80 dollars. Last LFACC he did the price was 25 Pounds.

Don't get me started on USA based conventions and their pricing. Absolutely ludicrous. When people have a little whinge about prices in the UK with Showmasters then go look at the prices in the USA. What I budget per event you can spend on a couple of autographs over there, and I budget a thick wedge of CHAPPiE Dollars!!

Don't get me started on USA based conventions and their pricing. Absolutely ludicrous. When people have a little whinge about prices in the UK with Showmasters then go look at the prices in the USA. What I budget per event you can spend on a couple of autographs over there, and I budget a thick wedge of CHAPPiE Dollars!!

yea, I know that in the states, it's a different price. I think for someone like Harrison Ford, you're paying at least $250 or could be more.

• Moderators

yea, I know that in the states, it's a different price. I think for someone like Harrison Ford, you're paying at least $250 or could be more.

I think in USD Harrison's autograph is worth closer to $500 Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 1