Suggestions for 8.1 :)

raiden58237

Hey everyone

A few of us were talking at Chevron 8.0 on ways in which you could improve the next Chevron for everyone so I thought I would write them on here for you all to see and for Show Masters to see as well. It is only a short list so don't worry to much :)

1. With the amount of heat and low quality air con units at the previous Chevron (especially in the signing room and hallways) why not have a few jugs of water set around so that people can just grab a nice cold drink to help them cool down. It was boiling at some points and even the crew were creating puddles on the floor along with all us attendee's.
  2. On the Sunday start the day at 9am instead of 10am. Fair enough you got the Saturday night party the night before and everyone will be hung over but with 7 guests to get signing and photo's with some people are going to struggle moving around especially disabled people. Opening up Sunday's to starting at 9am will help out a lot more.
  3. The dealers room I noticed was a little bit small at the previous Chevron and I don't mean room space, I mean the number of dealers in there. You only had 5 dealers and 1 of them was selling the extra photo's for the convention and you also had the 2 museum's in there as usual which are great to see every time. Getting a few more dealers in there though would be great. Most of the items sold at this Chevron were the same one's as a previous Chevron so new dealers and / or merchandise would be great. A nice little suggestion on this one is why not try and get a prop maker to do some dealing in there. Try and find some one that makes / creates replica props from the Stargate franchise and ask them if they would like to come along and do some dealing in there over the weekend and see how it turns out. I personally would like to see that. I'm not sure about everyone else opinion on this.
  4. This suggestion comes from my friend Justine. She suggest that to help get more people to attend Chevron why not create a promotional video showing what the weekend is about. Fair enough you got some information on your website but creating a video showing of the event's not just signing's and photo's but like us lot in the bar having a drink with guest's, the different themed nights, parties, quiz, cos-play, possibly even get one of the guest to give there opinion of Chevron and put that in the video as well will really help out with promoting this event. It even helps us attendee's advertise the event as well.

I hope you like these suggestions and that they help you with improving Chevron. Any other suggestions from attendee's would be great. Feel free to post them underneath.

Raiden58237

P.S sorry for the essay.

• Moderators

On the point of dealers - it's pretty much up to a dealer to decide whether they want to attend or not, so I'm not too sure how much M.E. can do to change that.

The rest of the points are interesting :) I like the idea of a promotional video.

Would it be possible for the auctioned meal with guests to include option for one person, rather than just two as I never bid as only need/afford for just me as don't attend the con with another person???

Also perhaps it would be possible to raffle off a place for the meal with guests??? Might be able to get more takers and make more money rather than just the current option of auctioning the two places???

Im a part of a couple and would love to bid on the meal so dont change it please (Im so selfish I know :P) :dance:

But on those eariler points.

1) Water - amazing Idea. I had to keep running off to the bar to grab a drink as my costume was getting me a bit sweaty which im sure the guests did not appreaciate! lol

2) 9 am - Again, great Idea. If a bunch of people dont arrive till ten then its upto them, atleast say half of the attendees will have a good headstart on autos whih will benefit everyone, including those that turn up after 9am. (a lot of people can make it to hte desk to buy tivekts for 9 am (or midnight in my case), so im sure a bunch can make it to the signing hall for 9.

3) Dealers, well thats been commented on but that would be pretty cool if a prop maker was there.

4) Video - I agree that it would help a lot when trying to explain to a non con friend what happens and why its so great and then trying to get them to buy a ticket.

Nice one Raiden on the post and these are just my 2 cents

I think the guests probably need a lay in on the Sunday, they work flat out on the Saturday, go to a dinner, then some of them even attend the party and they're probably jet lagged on top of all that. An extra hour in bed for them on the Sunday is probably needed if we want them awake and not face planted on their signing desk lol

Edited by Ophelia

I think the guests probably need a lay in on the Sunday, they work flat out on the Saturday, go to a dinner, then some of them even attend the party and they're probably jet lagged on top of all that. An extra hour in bed for them on the Sunday is probably needed if we want them awake and not face planted on their signing desk lol

Good point. We think we have a busy weekend, theres is mental!

• Like 1

I love the idea of a promo video - I'd tweet the heck out of it if there was one!

I have 2 suggestions -

• If there are more 'gameshow' events, (and I hope there are - they're a huge amount of fun!), then please provide dark coloured pens (black or brown) for the pictionary round. The red was almost impossible to see on the board itself and completely invisible on the big screen (and I was in the Gold section, goodness knows what it was like at the back!)
  • I know that having unlaminated tickets makes them easier to punch, but the cardboard ones tear - I nearly lost mine twice by Sat night because it ripped through the hole. Also, I always like to keep my tickets, and a torn one ain't so purty ; ). Perhaps there is some sort of compromise that can be made between durability and hole-punchability (if you see what I mean!)?

Note, these were just minor niggles in an outstanding event!

on riaders opinioons

1) water- i think this is a VERY good idea. i was offen tottering off to the bar to get a drink and especialy with the next one being at the ruddison where it is especialy hot and sweaty we need drinks of water.

2) i think it would be a good idea but it is totaly down to the guests i supose.

3) i think more dealers would be awsome. all we seem to get is- the picture stall, the people selling special wallets for the sutos/pics(good im always needing those). and sometimes we get the stargate CD's and/or the people selling pens/coasters and stargate mini stuff. otherwise this is all we seen to get. i know its up to the dealers if they come but if showmaster sould contact a few more dealers and promote the convention then maby more dealers would come? id love to see a stall selling statues or props from stargate.

4) a promotional dvd sounds good. even if its not out for 8.1 if its maby made at 8.1 might be fun. people could get the oppertunity to go on camera and promote the con. ther could be someone with a camera catchign some of the stuff at the parties, go round the dealers room and maby set up during the day in a room and the fans(us) sould go in and comment on our experiances of the con. the guests(actors) dont kneed to be on the video as ther are different ones every year so the talks dont kneed to be filmed meaning no contracts about filming them for video publicity.

One thing I would suggest is perhaps talking to GateWorld or another site and seeing if they'll promote the event (maybe a competition to win tickets?). I know that GW have in the past mentioned some of the US conventions on their front page.

Additionally, I really think 8.1 should capitalise on it being the 20th Anniversary of the movie :)

Edited by sueKay
  • Like 1

Also perhaps it would be possible to raffle off a place for the meal with guests???

I'm liking the idea of a raffle - think you'd still have to make it a prize for 2 people tho....tenner a ticket and I think quite a few people would buy possibly making more than on the auction. Although, saying that, I suspect the people paying a small fortune for the VIP tickets would be wanting to sit with the guests really so am not quite sure how many takers there would be (I've never had the dosh to bid or go VIP so unless that Euromillions comes in a raffle would be my only hope!)

• Like 1

I never bid as only need/afford for just me as don't attend the con with another person???

I'm in the same position, and the funny thing is we were sat alongside each other not knowing the other was thinking exactly the same thing - you don't exactly ask those sat around you if anybody is interested in doing a joint bid.

PS Your guess at the number of photos I'd take wasn't that far out when it came to the number I came home with of the convention itself (the file names go up to 1047 but I was deleting complete failures as I went along and I took 'a few' photos of the birds on the lake too).

• I know that having unlaminated tickets makes them easier to punch, but the cardboard ones tear - I nearly lost mine twice by Sat night because it ripped through the hole. Also, I always like to keep my tickets, and a torn one ain't so purty ; ). Perhaps there is some sort of compromise that can be made between durability and hole-punchability (if you see what I mean!)?

Note, these were just minor niggles in an outstanding event!

I'm not sure if you have these in the UK but in the states we have "reinforcers" for notebook paper, specifically to go around holes of notebook paper holes that have been torn but need to go into a binder, is there some sort of equivalent in the UK? and if not, I'm more than willing to donate a few boxes of them (super cheap and all in the states) so that those who find themselves with badges tearing could go up to various places and get these :) they do help!

Also something else I would like to suggest as well. I have just watched like 10-15 episodes of stargate today and I noticed in the briefing room that they have a large USA flag and a large SGC flag hanging from poles. Why not get a few and place them around the venue area's that we use at the hotels to make it a bit more stargate themed. Just give the event a bit more of a SGC feel to it.

Hi, I just noticed a old thread regarding a 'Absentee pack'. Do you still do those, I normally cant afford to travel to Chevron cons but I like to order the autographs, a pack would be awesome! Please do one, I wish there was one for the Chevron just gone. Keep up the good work guys!

If it's not possible to start earlier on the Sunday then how about just extending the signing times? Time was far too tight this year, I think it was the same time slot for 7 guests as you previously had for 4!!

Also, yes to water. I suffer from panic attacks which get worse in queues, and standing around in the heat for several hours makes it practically unbearable, I felt faint quite a lot. I always carry a bottle of water around with me for this very reason, but I ran out and was not able to refill it.

One minor quibble of the whole weekend.

If you do the live commentary again - can you work it so the guests are on stage? And also put the subtitles on for the episode?

the guests are not on the stage for the live commentary because can't see the screening if they're on stage so can't comment on the episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess that the cost is probably a big issue here, but considering there is nearly always an episode of Stargate in Sky, I always think it is a shame there is no commercial advertising the Chevron events. I was a fan for years before I realise that there were events in the UK. I had always presumed you would have to go to the US of Canada to attend conventions. Especially consider the quality of these events and the great guests that attend.

I guess that the cost is probably a big issue here, but considering there is nearly always an episode of Stargate in Sky, I always think it is a shame there is no commercial advertising the Chevron events. I was a fan for years before I realise that there were events in the UK. I had always presumed you would have to go to the US of Canada to attend conventions. Especially consider the quality of these events and the great guests that attend.

i too was a fan before i learn of conevntions in the uk and i learnt about collectormania before i learnt about chevron. i agree showmaster should advertise on tv on sky1 or sky2 especialy as they would get many people who are fans but didnt even know about conventions in the uk from advertising on tv.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a suggestion for an activity at Chevron 8.1. Has anyone heard of a documentary that has been made (I believe it was in Canada) called FANomenon?

In a nutshell, it's about fans... surprise, surprise and follows a particular woman who's hero is Joe Flanigan. It was just shown at another event and it was a hit. I know from Twitter that David Hewlett and Torri Higginson loved it as well.

Perhaps the organisers could find a way to get it over here for a screening. I don't know if it will be shown here in the UK but I desperately want to see it. I think that it would be great and Joe being there could maybe do a Q&A session as well.

Anyway, just a thought...

• Like 1