Postponement of Memorabilia Expo at Milton Keynes

• Showmasters Admin

we have come to the decision that we are going to postpone this event to a future date

after much thought we feel that with the limited amount of guests we are aloud to have attending this show it makes it very hard to make this show work for you the fans and us the organisers .

there is little point in going backwards with a show and as we have achieved so much over the years and grew the Collectormania events to such a high standard its very hard to go back to what we used to run .

after the Sportsmania event last week it showed us that maybe its best to concentrate on the bigger events rather than trying to run events like we used to do .

also when we booked the date for the Memorabilia Expo we did not have a good date for running a big event at the last quarter of the year , but now we have The Entertainment Media Show on October the 1st to 2nd we now have a great event to bring big guests to and put on an amazing event for you all .

so i hope you can see were we are coming from on this and why its for the best we Postpone this event for maybe another time and maybe we can negotiate to be able to bring bigger guest to the shopping centre in the future and make it more like the show you all want and expect from us .

so for now we are going to put all or time into the The Entertainment Media Show on October the 1st to 2nd were we plan to have some really big name guests and lots for you all to do at the last big event of the year

so we will see you there :thumbup:

jason :thumbup:

Pity. Sounded like it was going to be a little different to the other events and I don't think having something a bit more low-key would be a bad thing but you know your business and market so if it won't work then it won't work. Thought it might be a bit too close to EMS and at least it'll save me some money for that though I was going to be in MK that weekend anyway and was looking forward to have a look round.

after the Sportsmania event last week it showed us that maybe its best to concentrate on the bigger events rather than trying to run events like we used to do .

Does that mean we are unlikely to have Sportsmania as a standalone event in the future?

• Moderators

I doubted that this event would work from the start. I certainly wouldn't have traveled down just to look at stalls

I don't think the aim was ever to appeal to many people who had to travel. But I guess that's irrelevant now anyway.

I doubted that this event would work from the start. I certainly wouldn't have traveled down just to look at stalls

I worry for cm next year being so close to lfcc

to, its not on the same scale, there both massive events and I don't think having two events a month apart is good for anyone (fans pockets :WINCE:

Just an observation!

so for now we are going to put all or time into the The Entertainment Media Show on October the 1st to 2nd were we plan to have some really big name guests

always good to hear, cant wait! and lets not forget Autographica too

also feel free to add some of the great guests ideas you had for this now cancelled event, Im thinking poster artists and Alexey Pajitnov...

maybe you could meet an artist from one of your favourite record cover ?

or the person that created the game Tetris or the Rubix Cube ?

or a film poster artist from a film you love

thanks

Does that mean we are unlikely to have Sportsmania as a standalone event in the future?

Was going to ask the same question, so was Sportsmania not financially successful? I know Saturday was a little slow but Sunday seemed to be busy.

Would be a shame if we lost this event.

I get why, and I also think rethinking having it smaller and maybe making it bigger would work.

Try and make it into one of the old big collectors fairs. With not only dealers but actual collectable companies comign along and having booths and showing stuff off.

Maybe even FINALLY have a UK event with some exclusive merchandise :) The US have had the monopoly on that for way too long.

Was going to ask the same question, so was Sportsmania not financially successful? I know Saturday was a little slow but Sunday seemed to be busy.

Would be a shame if we lost this event.

My thoughts too.

I loved Sportsmania and really hope we get more in the future.

I think that a lot more people would have attended if it hadn't been just a week after LFCC. I remember quite a few on here saying that they would have definitely been there if it wasn't for that, and some of those had intended to buy the '66 photo shoot at £80.

The Gazza photo shoot was certainly popular even at £30 on the Sunday, so people will come for bigger names like that, and no doubt meet lots of the other guests too while they're there.

Definitely hope we have another one soon.

It was also good to be back in the shopping centre.

I must say I'm very disappointed, I was looking forward to this event.

What makes it worse is that it says part of the reason is to focus on yet another London event!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, why so many events in London?

There are many of us that live outside London and London is a very expensive place to get to, by train, or by car.

At least places like Milton Keynes, Coventry Ricoh Arena, and Birmingham NEC are far more central, and easier to get to for those of us that live in other areas of the country!

Only good thing about this, is I'll be saving my money.

• Moderators

I think if you look at the success of LFCC, you'll know exactly why a lot of focus goes into London.

Many people all around the UK and even the world are willing to travel to London.

It's not going to be perfect for everyone but it works for a LOT of people.

At least places like Milton Keynes, Coventry Ricoh Arena, and Birmingham NEC are far more central, and easier to get to for those of us that live in other areas of the country!

That really depends where you start from. MK from Devon means going into London first - if I'm doing that I might as well just do a London event. I think the NEC is off the cards, I have enjoyable weekends there already.

It's really only London, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff that are on my reach list, anything else is too much hassle. Did MK last year, but not this. Certainly not easy.

That really depends where you start from. MK from Devon means going into London first - if I'm doing that I might as well just do a London event. I think the NEC is off the cards, I have enjoyable weekends there already.

It's really only London, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff that are on my reach list, anything else is too much hassle. Did MK last year, but not this. Certainly not easy.

Terrahawk, I'm the same. I'm from Somerset, and I don't drive, so I rely on a coach (don't like trains!) to get to the events. For me to get to MK it's also a visit to London first. And I'd much prefer the journey to London, it's easier for me. I was thinking last night it'd be great if Showmasters were to start events of some sort in Bristol or Bath etc though... :crying:

As others have pointed out it is dependant on where you are coming from and by what method of transport. The stadium at Milton Keynes is approximately 10 miles closer to me than that of the Earls Court venue. However Earls Court is far simpler, and 20-30 minutes quicker for me, to get to.

• Moderators

What does this mean? Expensive train journeys, Expensive parking, Congestion Charging, Major traffic jams.

People have plenty of time to budget and sort out cheaper travel etc. Many people come from abroad, and it's far easier to get to London than anywhere else. You have to accept that the major events don't only attract guests/attendees from this country. SM can't cater for EVERYONE, and having an event in the middle of this country because it's more convenient for a few UK attendees has a knock-on to others coming from elsewhere. There's no perfect location, but I can sure see there's way more reasons to have it in London than anywhere else.

And MK has had decent lineups since it has been in the stadium. There's been absolutely no impact in terms of losing guests.

What does this mean? Expensive train journeys, Expensive parking, Congestion Charging, Major traffic jams.

In addition CMK is no longer in a comfortable shopping centre, A great way to persuade the celebrities to appear at the London events instead!

And MK has had decent lineups since it has been in the stadium. There's been absolutely no impact in terms of losing guests.

Have to agree. It had to be moved for all kinds of reasons and despite being exposed to the vagaries of the british weather it doesn't appear to have put off any big names. I've always thought they've had a good mix of guests there and in fact in my view it's only got better since the move. Working on sorting out the weather would help though :o

In addition CMK is no longer in a comfortable shopping centre, A great way to persuade the celebrities to appear at the London events instead!

I expect MK will go back to two events a year once the stadium is finished.

• Showmasters Admin

We have been very careful this year, as at the end of the day we have been in recession for 2 years now .

So it's prudent to us to only run events that work and cover themselves more than the events where we lost a lot of money. This year we have pulled off some great events that also covered themselves, so the future is looking good. We will be looking to expand where we run events in 2012 and onwards, so hang in there! We know you all want these events near where you live.

As things get better with the economy, we will be looking to expand and run more events over the UK.

We love running these events and would love to run them up and down the UK, but we have to make each event work and cover itself and build up each event gradually.

We have wanted to have 4 events in the South each year so we can get the guests when they are around, and next year it looks like we will have these dates worked out once and for all for 2012:

London Film and Comic Con

The Entertainment Media Show & Collectormania London

Collectormania Milton Keynes

And a new event to be announced very soon for 2012 :WINCE: which we have been working on for a long time now..

Collectormania Glasgow

Autographica London

we will see how the year ends, and see about going out to new cities if this year's events all work for us.

Just thought I would keep you all in the loop.

Thanks for all your support. We could not do it without you all.

Jason :dance:

Edited by DavidB

Thanks Jason we know you and your staff do their best we have every confidence in you to keep these events going with good venues great guests and enjoyable activities.Keep up the great work!