Is this Credit Crunch affecting your spend on Autographs

gazznewbie

Obviously many of the younger fans on here dont have to worry about mortgages yet

although still have to pay their rents and other living costs

so the question is are the higher costs affecting your purchases at Collectormania and similar events

Personally I cut back on number of series I was collecting a couple of years ago

yes it is nice to get autographs but you have to think how much it is going to cost to get the lot

one series with 10 main stars is at least £150 plus train tickets to London etc etc

I think now what would I get most value out of

the box set of the entire series or meeting the stars

the box sets wins when you think like this and its loads cheaper

so I have stayed clear of collecting some series for this reason

this event I have got 5 autographs at cost of £75 and brought one photo from a stall for £6

so thats quite low expnse this time

I remember a few a few years ago where I got 10 or so over a weekend

as well as buying other items

10 Autos is unlikely to happen again

many of the stall holders seemed to be openly complaining at the low customer numbers yesterday

so perhaps increased living costs are to blame

I remember the good old days where you went to London for the day

and met celebs in the street and got autographs for free

and then went to Forbidden Planet to buy Collectables and browse

Those were the days !

I definitely think it is having an effect. I was going to get my normal picture and Buffy cards signed but this time round I could just afford the photos. Its a shame really but things are just too tough at the moment! God damn this credit crunch, go away so I can spend lots of money next time :D

Definitely having an effect.

Thankfully I don't have any so called "bad debts" but I do have a mortgage which the two year deal I had on it ended recently. It would have gone up over 200 per month. I got a new deal but it's still 130 per month(!) higher than it was previously. I can't believe how much gas and electric is now too, and my food bills are a lot higher. I'm thankful I don't drive! Can't charge me extra for the air I breathe so me and my bike will be just fine lol.

I'm starting a new job tomorrow (had to get out of banking asap) which is more money though and I have had to let out my spare room to a friend, which is good in many ways to be honest as well as more than covering the increase in the mortgage. So I think although my income will be dented, I will still have enough to go to cons, just not to spend as much as I used to and by far I need to put more thought into what I buy there. Do I really need it?

I used to spend quite a lot on autographs and collectibles but I really do hold back now, not just becuase I have somewhat less disposable income than I had before (if there even can be such a thing as "disposable income" at the moment) but also becuase I don't know what exactly is round the corner, so I'm hoarding away money like I used to with collectibles lol. I just think if it gets any worse I'd rather have a larger savings amount than a larger sci-fi collection.

Edited by nadatron

• 5 years later...

Doesn't really bother me, I live right bang splat in the middle of the biggest red light district in Essex. Every weekend I go all Rocky Horror go out and make what money I can that way, of course that only worked once because people wanted their money back.

At least with Easter this weekend I'll be hiring myself out as a Jesusgram.

But seriously, I don't go mad at cons, ok, LFCC 2012 was an exception.

I goto the pub maybe twice a year, don't smoke so a few hundred quid a few times a year is a acceptable vice.......but addictive never the less!

Ditto - I work 12hr shifts in a highly stressfull job and very rarely go on holidays, the lash or splurges as we're understaffed and always last on the list to get staffing... These odd weekends every few months are my holidays, they allow me to destress and the way I see it provide more meaningful memories for me to savor in the future. As for credit crunching... I haven't really felt much of a squeeze, dispite having no meaningful increase in my wages for 4 years. I know that the shows are coming up so I do some overtime here and there to make the extra needed to see the people I want to without having to cut back, It's just me so I can do that.

Credit Crunch, Squeezed Middle, Cost of Living Crisis !

We've got more shows and guests than ever, so I guess that would go to say, people still have a fair bit of disposable income for their hobbies.

Well the thread was 5 /12 years old when you replied so I dare say the situation has improved for a few people since then anyway. :)

As for me, not as if there's been much point saving the money instead over that time.

Saying that seeing the money in the current account going up and up the past 4 months with less events (I've only had 3 single day ones) has been strangely addictive.