Help us to make Sheffield Film and Comic Con a really big first event

• Showmasters Admin

Hi Everyone

We really want to make this first event really big; it's a great venue and we can get lots of things in the space so we want it to be full on first time and that's what we are planning.

But the more people that commit to it and know about it the bigger names we can book to be there so you can meet them.

So we need you the local fans to make this happen, fan power is amazing and we need all of it you can give us to put this event on the map.

We have flyers, posters etc to send out to you if you send us a email with your address and we will post these out to you so you can give them out in the town or in places you think people that might be interested will see them. So please help us deliver the biggest first time event we can!

Just email us at info@showmastersonline.com

Also if you can help get the word out to your friends on Facebook or twitter that is also a easy and very good way to let others know about the Comic Con also and will help the event

We will have some banners and logos going up soon in our street team page on our web site in the next few days again feel free to use these any way you wish and this will help make this first event something Sheffield will be proud of.

http://www.sheffieldfilmandcomiccon.com/streetteam.html

See you all there soon and remember more guests to come :dance:

showmasters

Edited by etmuse

I'll do whatever you need for me to do to spread the word, I'll post online and on social media, stand in the street with a sandwich board or wearing a stormtroopers outfit (you'd have to provide the outfit and let me keep it!) then sign me up, I've been wanting a comic-con in Sheffield for sooooooo long so I'll do anything to make it successful!

I hadn't realised this was the first one. I don't know if it's still there but have you spoken to the Sheffield Space Centre?

I've also cajoled my OH into coming along to treat me for my birthday and little does he know it he'll be taking part in a Virginia Hey photoshoot as part of his birthday treat :) Had I known sooner there's a couple of stars who are down in London that I would've got up here in Sheffield c'est la vie.

Edited by Knitty Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Im so excited about this. I was supposed to be going to the LFCC but unforeseen circumstances mean I cant now :( but I was over the moon when I saw SFCC as this is much closer to where I live and it has the A Team Van :-)

Im hoping this will make up for not going LFCC although not meeting Stan Lee is soul destroying :-(

Will there be many more guests to come?

I have been talking to lots of friends/colleagues of late about these events, and to my surprise many have been quite interested in them!

That said, I show them guest lists for the likes of LFCC and then compare it to SFCC and even though LFCC is a different kettle of fish entirely, this Sheffield show looks a bit lacklustre to London's embarrassment of riches. And it pains me to say that as I live in Sheffield and after travelling so much over the years to Milton Keynes and London, I would love more than anything for SFCC to be a good one and a big one right on my doorstep.

At Collectormania in Coventry back in '08 we had Bruce Campbell, Mads Mikkelsen, Brent Spiner and Marina Sirtis to name but a few. Not knocking any guests you've got lined up so far, but SFCC could really do with a bit more "WOW" factor to have a broader appeal.

Will there be many more guests to come?

I have been talking to lots of friends/colleagues of late about these events, and to my surprise many have been quite interested in them!

That said, I show them guest lists for the likes of LFCC and then compare it to SFCC and even though LFCC is a different kettle of fish entirely, this Sheffield show looks a bit lacklustre to London's embarrassment of riches. And it pains me to say that as I live in Sheffield and after travelling so much over the years to Milton Keynes and London, I would love more than anything for SFCC to be a good one and a big one right on my doorstep.

At Collectormania in Coventry back in '08 we had Bruce Campbell, Mads Mikkelsen, Brent Spiner and Marina Sirtis to name but a few. Not knocking any guests you've got lined up so far, but SFCC could really do with a bit more "WOW" factor to have a broader appeal.

Agreed. I'm trying convince more people to come, who wouldn't normally bother to travel as far as London, but the guest list is a bit basic at the moment and they just can't see why I'm excited about this! The smaller cons still have at least one big headliner, don't they?

With the exception of Paul McGann and Sylvester McCoy, I'm struggling to get excited about the guest list.

Seems to be a fair few people who were in the background of a scene in SW, or people I've met at other events.

Hoping for bigger announcements this week

Build it and they will come...

I'm only half-thinking about a Paul McGann photo shoot but seeing as that is quite literally all I would want I don't think its worth spending the money on entry tickets for myself and my partner when he'll likely be at another convention in future that I'll end up going to with more/bigger guests.

This show is only 20 mins away from me but there is nothing to get worked up about. Gutted it looks like I won't be going to this

Just echoing what other people have said we need more quality guests! Not expecting the same calibre of LFCC but only really got 1 I would meet at the min.

The event is only a train journey away so hoping you guys can pull something out the bag!

Showmasters have the opportunity here to do something very special if they had the mind to, the space they have at the arena is plenty, and with Sheffield being fairly centrally placed geographically this con could easily turned into the best event outside London. It has great train links, its close to motorways and you can be dropped off pretty much at the arena door by the excellent tram system that is clean and relatively cheap. It has everything going for it, all it needs is some awesome guest announcements and i can assure you Showmasters the people will come. DO IT!

• Moderators

As with any new event, I think we have to accept that it takes time to build, and they're not going to throw loads of huge names at an unproven show. It's just too risky.

Hopefully this will show that it's a good area to run and they can have another solid show going forward. Newcastle managed to do well without having a huge guest list, for example. So it's certainly possible, but some areas have had great guest lists and not done too well - Manchester, for example. So it's not always as easy as everyone thinks. But we will see :) hopefully it'll do well!

DavidB I hear what you say and agree with you, but I'm going by what Showmasters have put above...

"We really want to make this first event really big; it's a great venue and we can get lots of things in the space so we want it to be full on first time and that's what we are planning."

They are saying they want it "full on first time", and thats their plan. Guess we will have to see what they mean by that but hopefully they can make it a great debut!

Unfortunately this is a big catch 22. You need more ticket sales to get bigger guests, but you need bigger guests to get more ticket sales.

Personally I'm going as it's a quick train from where I live so I can go just for the exhibitors. For LFCC I wait for at least 3 quests I'd like to see before booking due to costs and It's a waste if I'm going just for the exhibitors. Here there is no one I'm interested in seeing (maybe Craig Charles out of Robot Wars nostalgia) but I can afford to take the hit for any loot I may find.

It's also a case of each side wanting the other to take a 'leap of faith' and unfortunately with it being a first con and a non-london con at that, the pressure is more on SM's side to take that leap.

• Like 1

Me and my wife really cant wait, it will be the first time we have done cosplay and we are putting a lot of effort costumes we just hope that we wont be the only ones in cosplay ha ha ha

Don't worry about that - I'm sure there will be a lot! Me included! :D