Tony Curtis

prendy9160

One of the nicest men i've ever met. I was lucky enough to chat with Tony several times and his stories were just legendary. I'm going to celebrate his life with a triple bill tonight - starting with Some Like It Hot.

Thoughts go out to Jill and Jamie Lee Curtis

Very sad to hear the news today.

I was just saying in the Michael Caine thread how good it was to meet him a few times from 2008-09 including Autographica. A true legend who really cared about his fans.

I remember in an interview he gave during one of his visits here, he said that it was always a thrill to him that people wanted to meet him, and that it meant a lot to him.

Its odd to feel shock at someone of his age passing, but I did feel a bit shocked because he was still so active right up to recent times. Anyone who followed his website would see just how busy he was, going to various events, festivals, screenings, signings. The blog on there reported that he'd been a bit ill in the last couple of months but even just a few weeks ago they thought he'd make a full recovery -

http://tonycurtisonline.blogspot.com/

I always hoped we'd get him back again at Autographica. Glad that we had the honour of him being a guest in 2008.

And this shows just how important it is that we get to meet these older Hollywood legends.

Edited by spocks-brain

One of Tony's last interviews. From GQ magazine June 2010. Published just before he was taken ill in July.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebritie...?printable=true

Also in June, on his blog there was a mention of a new stage show that he was going to do. An Audience With type of touring show. Called An Affair With Tony Curtis it was going to be similar to the superb show that Debbie Reynolds brought to the UK earlier this year. Where film clips are shown on a screen, and the star talks about their career (and in Debbie's case sings of course).

Tony's show would almost certainly have come to the UK too.

On his site are two clips from the film parts of the planned show - a 2 min part of what would have been a 15 min film intro to the show, before Tony appeared. Plus a clip of his first ever speaking part screen appearance, which would have been part of when Tony was talking about his career. Can see the clips at

http://www.tonycurtis.com/Affair_with_Tony_Curtis.html

If look back through the 'Older posts' on his blog at

http://tonycurtisonline.blogspot.com/

can see what he was doing in recent times, including a photo of him and Eli Wallach (another legend I wish we could get at Autographica) at the 1st TCM Film Festival in Hollywood in April this year.

Very moving to see things like that, and to see these blog posts, knowing what we now know today about Tony's passing.

Edited by spocks-brain

It was indeed an honour to meet this man, especially as I had not exactly been a fan beforehand. My one abiding memory will be of him stopping to have a photograph taken with two small children who probably hadn't got a clue who he was. I hope they have fond memories of this Hollywood legend.

It was indeed an honour to meet this man, especially as I had not exactly been a fan beforehand. My one abiding memory will be of him stopping to have a photograph taken with two small children who probably hadn't got a clue who he was. I hope they have fond memories of this Hollywood legend.

That was a big memory for me too from his time at Autographica. I'm sure it was probably the same moment you remember. If it was the same then it was the Sunday afternoon. Tony was leaving, and coming through the main room in his wheelchair. I shook hands with him and thanked him for coming - he thanked me which was great - and then he stopped to have the photo with the 2 children. Really nice of him to do that.

Dear All,

I was lucky enough to have met him when he attended autographica a couple of years ago at the Hitlon NEC Birmingham. He was truly a gentleman and he was very nice to myself and my daughter. I will regret him a lot. He was a fantastic actor and a great person. I send my condolences to his wife and daughter. After such a busy career, he can finally rest in peace!

I think he was the last surviving Major cast of Spartacus that we'd have realistic hopes of meeting. Kirk Douglas' stroke and gradual recovery seems to make it unlikely he'll be over..

Yeah I wish we could get Kirk Douglas here. Years ago he did some book signings at Harrods and I didn't go. Regret that now.

Kirk does still do public things in US - introducing screenings, helping out at a homeless charity with Harrison Ford, and some others.

I've often thought that if a big legendary name like that couldn't sit and sign all day for health reasons, then I'd still love to see them as a guest even if they could 'only' do photo shoots and we had to pay more for the shoot to make up for them not signing. At least we'd still get to see and meet them.

Theres been some great tributes to Tony on the news today - including from Michael Caine during his Waterstones signing. The fact that Tony's still such big news shows once again how he was loved by so many.

Yeah I wish we could get Kirk Douglas here. Years ago he did some book signings at Harrods and I didn't go. Regret that now.

Kirk does still do public things in US - introducing screenings, helping out at a homeless charity with Harrison Ford, and some others.

Kirk still does book signings in the US as recently as this year.

I commented in the other thread of the forum, but will add my thoughts here as well.

Like all of you, I had the pleasure of meeting Tony at Autographica in 2008, and then again last year. I think the fact that his passing has made headline news today goes to show just how big a star he really was.

I also think there's something fitting with him passing on the 50th anniversary of the Flintstones. The Stony Curtis episodes is one of the all time classics, and when you consider that the legacy of that particular show has seen the creation of things like The Simpsons and Family Guy, you realise just how influencial and relevant that golden age of Film and TV still is today.

My personal faves of Tony's films are Some Like It Hot and The Vikings. Two roles so far removed from each other that it demonstrated just how flexible and talented an actor he really was.

RIP TC. You will be missed by many.

Kirk still does book signings in the US as recently as this year.

Thats brilliant to hear. Didn't know that.

I used to look him up online every so often to see how he was progressing health wise and if he was still doing public events, with the thought of whether he'd be able to come to UK, but I hadn't checked for most of this year.

Excellent to know he's doing signings again. If he's able to travel maybe there's still an outside chance that we'll see him over here. He'd definitely be popular of course.

Tony mentioned in the GQ interview that he'd been to see Kirk in Hollywood earlier this year. Now that would have been a great photo shoot!

RIP - VIP

Was a true pleasure to meet him last year, asked him about being in Tokyo Bay when the Japanese signed the surrender to the Americans...he said he was honoured to have been a witness to history. Little did he know that it was an honour to have met him, he has been a true Hollywood Legend.

An update from his official site -

------------

Tony's Memorial Service will be held on Monday, October 4th at 11am at the Palm Mortuary on Eastern Blvd in Las Vegas, NV.

His service is open to the public and to all of his loving fans and friends. Come and celebrate this incredible man's life.

-------------

So even with his passing, his fans are still welcome, rather than it being a closed event. Wish I was over there.

Theres also this message on there -

-------------

NOTICE: 9/30/10 Due to the large volume of orders, there may be a delay in receiving your items. We have everything in stock and will get all of the orders processed as soon as we can. Thank you.

--------------

So it looks like they're still selling his handsigned autographed photos, books, posters and more from the online store. I guess he signed a lot in advance.

http://shop.tonycurtis.com/main.sc

Edited by spocks-brain

It's good that they are still selling these at a sensible price as well. More often than not with a lot of websites items are removed from sale as a 'tribute' after someone dies then re-listed a few weeks later at treble the price.

Yes, I've noticed that before too. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were doing what I'm sure Tony would have wanted for his fans. The prices, even before his passing, are excellent in my opinion, considering what a legend he will always be.

Glad the store link was of use to everyone. Even though I've got a few autographed items already, I'm definitely getting some more from there as well before they're all gone. Great selection too. And of course, the great thing is that we know that it's all authentic - unlike all the 'signed' items that are no doubt appearing on the online auction sites, as they always do after a star passes.

I've got 'Some Like It Hot' on ITV as typing this. Nice that they're showing it as a tribute and I'm sure we'll get some great seasons of his work on TV in the coming weeks. Some brilliant photos of Tony on the newspaper front pages today too.