Guest announcement Alexei Leonov

Dave Phillips

• Moderators

We are pleased to welcome our latest guest Alexei Leonov.

Alexei was the first man to walk in space in 1965 and also commander of the Russian Soyuz in the Apollo soyuz link up in 1975.

Alexei is also a very accomplished artist and on top of that he is our favourite russian cosmonaut guest.

Alexei is a fascinating person to speak to and has a great sense of humour please don,t miss out on your last chance to meet a genuine hero.

Alexei4.jpg

Alexei3.png

Alexei.gif

Alexei2.jpg

Absolutely brilliant guest announcement. Ever since General Stafford was announced I was hoping this would happen, and now we have them both at the same show. Dream come true.

I'd really like to have solo photoshoots with General Stafford and Alexei, and also a shoot with them both. We don't usually get that with guests but as this is a historic occasion and the last chance ever for us in the UK then I hope it happens.

And definitely would love to have a lecture too. Alexei has been great to meet before, one of the best ever guests, so a talk would be great.

I read that Alexei can be persuaded to bring his uniform. If it's the one with the ranks of medals in one of his photos.. YES PLEASE!!!

I'd really like to have solo photoshoots with General Stafford and Alexei, and also a shoot with them both. We don't usually get that with guests but as this is a historic occasion and the last chance ever for us in the UK then I hope it happens.

And definitely would love to have a lecture too. Alexei has been great to meet before, one of the best ever guests, so a talk would be great.

I'd agree with all of this!

I think I'm right in saying that astronauts aren't given honorary military ranks. Most of the astronauts of the MGA era were serving military officers at the time of their selection and for the most part stayed on secondment with NASA from their respective branch of service.

I think I remember reading in Deke Slayton's biography that there was some initial concern amongst the Mercury astronauts that moving over to NASA could harm their prospects for promotion in the long term. I think the worry was that if Project Mercury hadn't worked out then they would find themselves back in the Navy, Air Force etc but would effectivley be one or two years behind their peers in the promotion stakes.

As for why Tom Stafford is referred to more often by his military rank than others are it's hard to know. I suppose it could be his wishes that he is billed as 'General' or maybe he just has that air about him as a person that people always feel compelled to call him 'General'.

I think its because of his stature and past achievements that makes 'General Stafford' sound appropriate. Its actually one of the main problems I have meeting astronauts, not knowing how to properly address them, not wishing to sound too familiar or equally too formal.

Calling him 'Tom' or 'mate' or 'sir' or 'geezer' just doesn't sound right to me!

So I'll be addressing him as General Stafford.

...a definite improvement on the greeting from a punter that I heard at Capt Haise's first Autographica:

"Hey Freddo! How the f*** are you?!" :o

I always wonder what goes through someones head before they come out with a statement like that, how well do they really think it is going to go down with the person they are bellowing at.

Terrible, just terrible, but made me laugh...

When some friends of mine and I met Alan Bean at the Roundhouse in 2006 we discussed what to call him and settled on Captain Bean (you know whats coming...) we just could not say 'Hi, Mr. Bean...'

When a military person retires from the forces they do give up the rank and become Mr (Mrs...) but out of respect it is nice to use there rank and I think they like it.

Bests

von Dawson's Express

...a definite improvement on the greeting from a punter that I heard at Capt Haise's first Autographica:

"Hey Freddo! How the f*** are you?!" :o

I always wonder what goes through someones head before they come out with a statement like that, how well do they really think it is going to go down with the person they are bellowing at.

• Showmasters Admin

I think I'm right in saying that astronauts aren't given honorary military ranks. Most of the astronauts of the MGA era were serving military officers at the time of their selection and for the most part stayed on secondment with NASA from their respective branch of service.

I think I remember reading in Deke Slayton's biography that there was some initial concern amongst the Mercury astronauts that moving over to NASA could harm their prospects for promotion in the long term. I think the worry was that if Project Mercury hadn't worked out then they would find themselves back in the Navy, Air Force etc but would effectivley be one or two years behind their peers in the promotion stakes.

As for why Tom Stafford is referred to more often by his military rank than others are it's hard to know. I suppose it could be his wishes that he is billed as 'General' or maybe he just has that air about him as a person that people always feel compelled to call him 'General'.

i have worked with him and its that he "has that air about him" for real

i call him 'General' its best :D

jason