ANY NEW GUESTS STILL COMING OR NOT?

LJGreen

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Each event is a separate entity. There's no reason for anyone to take into account what has happened elsewhere. Each event has different costs etc.

Roadhouse and Bitten were two new events that were never going to get huge amounts of money thrown at them anyway.

Probubly because both RH and bitten had 4 guests.

But they both had warnings of low ticket sales, there hasn't been a message like that for us yet. And if that was it, wouldn't they say something about it being the final line-up?

not till about a week or 2 before the event no.. or theyd stop selling tickets too early.

Roadhouse and Bitten were two new events that were never going to get huge amounts of money thrown at them anyway.

well thats not good - i'd of thought there would be more reason to put more money and effort into new events since some other events are based on past shows that dont air anymore and bitten and roadhouse are aimed at current shows.

well thats not good - i'd of thought there would be more reason to put more money and effort into new events since some other events are based on past shows that dont air anymore and bitten and roadhouse are aimed at current shows.

I think it will depend on what the shows in question actually are - Buffy for example while it may no longer be airing, still has an enormous fan base and is followed by people from all around the world, some of whom will come to Hallowhedon. Other shows, although they may currently be airing on TV simply won't be as popular or well-known, or may only be followed by a largely UK audience which limits the potential attendees.

Each event is a separate entity. There's no reason for anyone to take into account what has happened elsewhere. Each event has different costs etc.

Well thats really nice to know and shows that Showmasters are really top when it comes to putting the money and effort in to make a good event. Not. We all spent money on the tickets, travel, hotel and we find out that secretly, they just couldnt be bothered to 'throw' money at it to make it decent. Thankfully the guests did make it a great weekend despite the poor party efforts and lack of things to do and now we know why. I also would have thought new shows would be a reason to throw money in, theyre fresh, popular and have a new era of fan base plus all us oldies. The guests for Bitten were fantastic and thank gods for that or it would have been an even poorer show! :P

I think it will depend on what the shows in question actually are - Buffy for example while it may no longer be airing, still has an enormous fan base and is followed by people from all around the world, some of whom will come to Hallowhedon. Other shows, although they may currently be airing on TV simply won't be as popular or well-known, or may only be followed by a largely UK audience which limits the potential attendees.

I dont think theyd throw an event for a show they dont think has a big enough fanbase though? itd be way too risky and weathera thats the case or not.. its probubly not a good idea to tell possible attendees that money wasnt gunna be thrown at an event wen no 2 has been announced...

Edited by Sazzzy

I think David more meant that for events with established fan bases like Buffy they can get more expensive guests like Anthony Head or James Marsters right away because they know that these guys will sell a certain number of tickets.

Bitten was unknown territory there, no way to tell if Anna or Stephen would have sold out the show. Roadhouse was difficult too.

Just look at Abrams Inc. They had Michael Emerson announced there, who's a guest that pops up on most Lost fan's "want to meet" lists. Still the event failed and didn't sell enough tickets.

• Moderators

I think what I said has been misunderstood.

What I mean is that there wouldn't be a bottomless amount of money for a new convention that is completely unproven. For example, they would never have gone ahead and announced 6 guests upfront for Roadhouse or Bitten when they didn't know how successful the event was going to be.

Any organiser has to feel things out, see what the market is like etc, and build on it. Even shows like Collectormania started off cautiously. True Blood certainly hadn't even been tested in a signing event environment for example, and so was a huge risk jumping straight in.

Sorry if people have taken that the wrong way and feel like an event isn't going to be supported. That isn't the case whatsoever. It's just having an understanding of why 'we need to sell more tickets to get more guests' is even more the case with new events.

And I'm glad this is understood above :P

Edited by DavidB

I dont think theyd throw an event for a show they dont think has a big enough fanbase though? itd be way too risky and weathera thats the case or not.. its probubly not a good idea to tell possible attendees that money wasnt gunna be thrown at an event wen no 2 has been announced...

No, but some events will obviously be expected to attract a wider audience than others. I don't suppose it is clear right away of how large demand for an event will be.

Well considering the success of last years Hallowhedon, I hope that Showmasters will be putting their all into it and pulling out all the stops for an even better event this year - as Hallowhedon is a tried tested and successful convention in my oppinion. there was 3 of us who came last year and we'er bringing along another friends 3 this year!

Edited by Dan Ryan

i brought gold ticket in advance when ASH got annonced unsure on the success of Hallowhedon1 and guests list i saw ..i was like if this Hallowhedon 1 then wow carnt wait see who on this one..so far good group people but i still hoping for xtra few guests to really get me excited not that im not now.but i look on site everyday day just double check ..this first covention so looking forward to it and hope be really special few days n meet alot of great people

x

you will have a great time i can agrentee that, iv been to a few massive events conventions and was at hw1 and iv always always had an amazing time, theres alwats bad and good to a con but the good usualy out ways the bad.. and for meeting new people, its whedon fans, were alll very social.. do agree a few more guests wud be nice x