Is a gold pass worth £250?

john1980

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about getting a gold pass but am undecided as to the value.

I have the normal entry tickets for each day and the Ron Perlman diamond pass, so far the other guests dont fill me with any desperate need, except Jeremy Bulloch,want a picture from last year signed, but then i never needed a VQ ticket last year as he was quite quiet.

anyway, what are peoples experiences with gold passes? are the talks and extras worth it?

I have never had one myself, and have never had an issue with getting through multiple photoshoots over the course of the weekend.

However I do have friends who swear by them as they managed to do 25+ photoshoots +autos and talks over the weekend and wouldn't have been able to do it without one.

I think it most benefits you if you plan to have an extremely busy weekend, as the likelihood of clashes increases the more you book. If you're only planning on Ron and Jeremy for now, then it may be worth holding out and doing it on your regular entry ticket.

You can always upgrade later in the year if you get busier (availability allowing of course!)

• Like 2

I am one of these people who tend to get quite a few autos and photos (although I know of others that do WAY more than me!) and as Pen says, I wouldn't do the summer con without it.

The main thing for me is that it removes the majority of the stress for the weekend. I know that I will be up the front for most photoshoots and can just join the auto lines for most guests. That is the what the Gold pass is about for me. Ok, for Diamond pass guests, Gold pass holders now need VQ tickets but as we're in earlier than standard entry attendees, it's easy enough to get a low VQ ticket.

The extras are nice, especially a room where you can just go for a sit down away from the crowds, but I wouldn't big up the goodie bag. I did use the auto tickets last year though which was good to get a couple of extra, smaller, guests. I did go to a lot of the talks that I wouldn't have normally paid for or gone to and they were actually some of my favourite parts of the weekend.

It all depends on what you want to do really and seeing as you have a Diamond for Ron and only have one other guest so far (I know there is still a huge amount to be announced) then you should be fine. As was also said, you can hopefully upgrade later if you feel the need.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

Because last year was my first year at LFCC I think I played it safe, and because I was dragging my sister with me, this year I'm looking at flying solo and depending on what guests get announced, like everyone i have a wishlist, it might be a big year :)

The simple answer for LFCC 100% yes.

Not always, certainly not for the OP current list in my opinion. If I go to LFCC it's usually only for 1 or 2 guests and in no way is it worth it for that but it all depends on how desperate you are to see those people.

• Moderators

For me personally I wouldn't do this event without one, but as above I try to fit in as much into my days as possible, I think I had around 40+ photoshoots over the course of the weekend and an equal amount of autos and a number of talks I wanted to get in which I don't think I could've managed without one. It really is a personal preference I do know plenty of people that cram lots into their weekend without a gold pass but I just find it gives you a massive amount of flexibility.

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 1

I did 30+ photoshoots last year and a number of autographs last year without a Gold Pass but I was lucky that I had very few clashes. It was a rush at times going

from one shoot to another but I was prepared. I know a certain Camel who did 50+ photos without a Gold Pass.

I didn't do any Diamond Passes last year as they were guests I was not to worried about.

This year with LFCC being spread over four days may be a little easier without a Gold Pass although I am thinking about it, work permitting.

• Like 1

I've bought one for the first time this year. If for no other reason then having a room to go into to escape the melee! Seriously though, I was running from pillar to post to try and cram in my photoshoots and missed out on a couple of autographs because of the crazy queues. I'm hoping this year, as I can spread out across the days and also get in easier and queue with a VQ it'll make the whole experience much more enjoyable / much less stressful!

I think it's also important to bear in mind that this event gets bigger and bigger every year and Jason and the team have big plans again this time so I can see there being that "influx of unavoidable guests" in the coming months

I certainly hope so ;)

• Moderators

should that happen what is the process for upgrading to a gold pass

Last year the process just involved emailing the office and asking for an upgrade to gold from whatever entry ticket you currently have, it was a very simple process but subject to availability of the passes which did eventually sell out. As others have mentioned it really is down to personal preference and many people (and camels) have done incredible amounts without one but they do offer a massive degree of flexibility and take away the need to stress quite as much.

• Like 2

I won't know until April as to what days I can attend if any due to work. Last year was hard work without a Gold Pass but not impossible.

Once I know my work schedule then I can decide what ticket I shall be buying.

I must admit if I can make at least two days I will probably buy a Gold Pass, depending on the guests attending and the overall cost too.

• Like 1

A minor that puts me off a bit is not being allowed to pay a bit extra on top of your £10 autograph and photo vouchers. I think last year there were only 2 guests that were £10 and remember people saying they weren't allowed to get a more expensive one and pay the difference.

A minor that puts me off a bit is not being allowed to pay a bit extra on top of your £10 autograph and photo vouchers. I think last year there were only 2 guests that were £10 and remember people saying they weren't allowed to get a more expensive one and pay the difference.

Last year we were given vouchers and allowed to add the remaining amount, I guess the plan isn't to do that this year though based on the description

I did LFCC last year without one and I had a fair amount to do. Having said that, me and my family did have disabled passes cause my mum is in a wheelchair and that got us close to the front of many queues. I would say that, if you have a lot to do and you're worried about it and you can afford to buy one, then do so. At least then, you'll be given a degree of relaxation. If you just have 3 or 4 guests, I think you'd be alright without one :)

• Like 1

Last year we were given vouchers and allowed to add the remaining amount, I guess the plan isn't to do that this year though based on the description

If you got to do that last year you got to do it because a crew member misunderstood the way the vouchers are handled. That was not how it's supposed to go.

We're actually both correct - the change Jay mentioned was for photos only and I overread that he said autographs and photos. I read this as autographs only.

For autographs paying the difference should not have been possible. That's clearly stated in the post you linked.

I have been considering a Gold Pass but am waiting as at the moment I'm planning to go to all 4 days in different cosplays and only have 2 guests to meet (who will be there all 4 days) and a photoshoot for another guest who will be attending 3 days.

Last year I only went on the Saturday and only got to meet 7 of the 8 guests I wanted to meet, and a friend missed out on 2 guests due to time constraints.

On that occasion, a gold pass would be good but the pass only covers all 4 days rather than an odd day.

I did enquire about the room and snacks but the responses I've got imply that the snacks aren't impressive, but it does give one a break from the hustle and bustle.

In my opinion, a gold pass is only worth it if one has a lot of guests to meet, and a majority are only there for a day or two.