Asking Cosplayers for Photos

Hello!

Three weeks to go, hang in there!

The guest list is looking pretty decent so far, although the lack of Game of Thrones guests concerns me (but I won't go into that).

Anyway, I'm quite a nervous person, so I was looking for some advice on this front. Add in the fact that I might be attending alone, and I'm quite anxious about this year!

I think one of the best things about these events is the wonderful variety of cosplayers and the costumes they make, I think it's incredible that they put so much time and effort into them.

I've decided that this year I'd like to get a few photos with some of the brilliant costumes I see around.

As mentioned above, I'm a nervous person, especially when I'm on my own, so I was wondering what's the best way to approach a cosplayer and ask for a photo? Have you ever been rejected by a cosplayer, and what do you do in that situation?

An odd question I know, but I think it's important information to have.

Thanks,

jakers.

• Like 2

At the end of the day, cosplayers are just like you and I, regular con goers, and are always very approachable, they will more than likely be used to be asked for their photo to be taken or to have a photo with you and its always a really nice little memento of the event.

Don[t worry, you'll be fine :)

#CosplayersRULE

• Like 3

Hello!

The guest list is looking pretty decent so far, although the lack of Game of Thrones guests concerns me (but I won't go into that).

Anyway, I'm quite a nervous person, so I was looking for some advice on this front. Add in the fact that I might be attending alone, and I'm quite anxious about this year!

I think one of the best things about these events is the wonderful variety of cosplayers and the costumes they make, I think it's incredible that they put so much time and effort into them.

I've decided that this year I'd like to get a few photos with some of the brilliant costumes I see around.

As mentioned above, I'm a nervous person, especially when I'm on my own, so I was wondering what's the best way to approach a cosplayer and ask for a photo? Have you ever been rejected by a cosplayer, and what do you do in that situation?

Thanks,

jakers.

I used to be the way you describe and in the end I just thought "Sod it...." and walked up to the Cosplayers and said "Sorry to interupt, but your outfits are great. Can I get a photo with you." Not one said no.

• Like 2

I doubt someone in cosplay would say no to having a request for a photo. Just think, they've made the effort to come dressed as whoever they want to get noticed. After London plenty ask for pictures of them that may have been taken. If they did say no, don't take it personally and just move along and enjoy the rest of the event.

I think keeping it simple is the best way for asking for a photo, "Hi, I like your costume, do you mind having your photo taken with me?". Doesn't need to be complicated.

A tip as well might be to try get a name or a twitter address so you could tag them in later for them to see as well.

• Like 2

As others have said you have nothing to worry about.

Last year's event was my first proper convention, I did as well feel nervous for asking for photos of people's cosplay outfits. But on the day I realised there was nothing to worry about!

I went up to serval people and asked to take pictures of their cosplay, not one person said no, i also think cosplayers would like people to take pictures (if that makes sense) as in most people spend days on their outfit hoping people will like it and snap a picture.

Also there is a lot of cosplayers outside the arena (like the Stormtroopers last year if I remember correctly) who engage with people either in the line to go in or just random people in the shop passing by.

You will have nothing to worry about trust me, they are just like you and i, regular people who have a geeky obsession over something and want to please others :)

• Like 1

i was like that at edinburgh comic con this year ( april ) there was mortal kombat cosplayers wich looked fantastic proplem was i was too nervous or i felt it was rude to go up to them a mate explaind to me that what they do it for didnt get the mk cosplayers but i did get somebody cosplaying as lust from fma point is its part of what they do who wouldnt want to be regonised for the effort :)

• Like 1

Hello!

Thanks,

jakers.

Hey mate, generally cosplayers are very very friendly! The only times I say no to a picture is if im sitting having food because I think its extremely rude folk coming upto you while your mouth is being stuffed with food haha. Last year at collectormania I was trying to have my dinner at the exscape and this woman bold as brass came right upto my table with her kid "jack, gee us a picture" and my wife had to actually hunt her because she became so aggressive that I was having a break! haha

Also on my way out of braehead I took seriously not well due to the heat and was close to passing out point and a cosplayer girl took the huff because I had to say "pal im going to pass out if I dont get out of here"

I think you can use your judgment on it :) obviously if the person looks fine then just go up! but if the person is eating or looks like they are on deaths door then I wouldnt haha!!

• Like 5

Captain_Sparrow hit it on the head with his comment.

Honestly, most cosplayers are more than happy to pose for a picture (unless they're on a break!). Only time I've ever said no is if I'm crewing and rushing to get somewhere but I've always told people to come find me on the Cosplay Desk later on (I crew for the cosplay area .. in cosplay!)

• Like 5

Captain_Sparrow hit it on the head with his comment.

Honestly, most cosplayers are more than happy to pose for a picture (unless they're on a break!). Only time I've ever said no is if I'm crewing and rushing to get somewhere but I've always told people to come find me on the Cosplay Desk later on (I crew for the cosplay area .. in cosplay!)

Thanks Melmo! Will pop over to say hi at the desk :) looking forward to watching the cosplay comp, won't be entering it this year haha

Hello!

Thanks,

jakers.

Hi,

This is my second year for doing cosplay - I make mine as simple as possible due to being a very large lady. Used to think that I couldn't do that kind of thing and last year thought, sod it. I'm going as Princess Leia this year (albiet a very large one) and I would be SO freaking happy if someone asked me for a photograph with them! I would happily oblige. I've also asked plenty of cosplayers for photos and they have been very obliging. As most people have already said, just say hi, I love your outfit, do you mind if I have a photo with you. I know I won't say no to anybody, though they will have to give me time to get out of my scooter to stand beside them for the photo though!

• Like 2

I've been the Spider-Man for a couple of years now. If I see someone looking over at me, I tend to saunter over and ask if they want a photo - and I always have kids wanting a snap with me but I always get them to ask their grownup first.

Only thing I'd say for the menfolk is not to walk around Glasgow City centre in costume on a Saturday night. The Hen parties will eat you alive.

• Like 2

I've been the Spider-Man for a couple of years now. If I see someone looking over at me, I tend to saunter over and ask if they want a photo - and I always have kids wanting a snap with me but I always get them to ask their grownup first.

Only thing I'd say for the menfolk is not to walk around Glasgow City centre in costume on a Saturday night. The Hen parties will eat you alive.

OMG!!! Hen parties on a Saturday night in Glasgow?! You got that one right! Lmao!!! I had my photo with a Spider-Man last year!!!!

Haha totally agree re Hen parties!!! I've taken out insurance on my outfit to prevent any accidents haha!!