We have made this area as we have seen many people who are involved in making their own websites based on their favourite guests, and that enjoy being creative with their own forum avatars and Live Journal icons. Eventually we would like to have a competition to get everyone involved in, and that will come soon, but for now we will just give a small example of what we'd like this area to be about:

ForumAv64.jpg

64x64 Forum Size - Simple Static Design

ForumAv100.jpg

100x100 Live Journal Size - Simple Static Design

ForumAv.gif

64x64 Forum Size - Moving

Desktop Backgrounds

ForumDesktop.jpg

Preview Size

Real Sizes Are - 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024 depending on your monitor size and preference.

We'd like to think that everyone will contribute with their hints and tips on what programs they use, and how to create particular effects etc. Everyone has different knowledge so it would be great if you could all share what you know!

100x100 is the size on Live Journal, but people make their own avatars for that too  :unsure:

Hi David, right you will have to excuse me, i am totally full of cold right now and not only is my brain all mushy cause its the end of the week, but its all bunged up too and i still don't get it.

Can you post an example of what a 100x100 avatar looks like, just so I can get an idea of what it looks like size wise - that avatar thing that is!!!!!!!

Whislt your at it, you don't have a pack of snot rags do ya??? LOL

Vampsy

Edited by vamps!

• Moderators

ForumAv64.jpg

ForumAv100.jpg

It says here ... there's the 64x64 one which is the small one, that's the FORUM size, and the bigger one is 100x100 which is Live Journal size =o)

ForumAv64.jpg

ForumAv100.jpg

It says here ... there's the 64x64 one which is the small one, that's the FORUM size, and the bigger one is 100x100 which is Live Journal size =o)

Oooooooooohps, well I did say I weren't well LOL

Now who or what the hell is Donatello?

• Moderators
Hehe, ok yeah I admit it!! I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to create an avatar - although I want to eventually! Can't keep getting Davey to make them...although that is a much easier option LMAO!!!!! ;)

Well this is what this area is for :unsure: so u can learn how to do stuff! :unsure: Do ya have a decent PC? lol

Do ya have a decent PC? lol

Well, I use my parents' pc instead of my laptop cos its connected to the net! So, yeah, it's a pretty good one...I think LOL

It's got XP if that makes any difference...and we've just ordered broadband! Erm...Don't really know much about it LOL - think its got lots of memory left! :unsure:

Now this is where I get the peverted pleasure of throwing a spanner in the works....mwahahaha fox mulder forgot to mention one thing.

All the avs you see on this forum are MASSIVE. Really high graphics with fancy moving words. They would not work on any other forum.

Fine, have a 100x100 moving pic for LJ, but if it is over 40k in size it wont work! On another forum the size if 45x45 and only 5k!

So the art of av making is small effective and good looking. It doesn't matter if you have it hosted some where, most forums wont allow a hosted av over 40k. It's got something to do with the speed a site loads up.

That's why SM have taken off the "upload the av" bit I think (please correct me if I am wrong) because the majority of people have these massive avs and it would crush their servers!

So next time you make an av that moves, optimize it! And think of the poor unfortunate people with slow connections and Dial Up! :unsure:

Yes I know that optimising wrecks the quality! But thats life! Work out a way to make an av with the same impact but smaller!

*leaves before she is pelted with rotten tomatoes and such stuff*

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...