Advice for the Cardiff Film and Comic Con

Whilst I am a regular at Showmasters events, started going to the MK Centre for Collectormania 2, the first London Film and Comic Convention and Autographica back in its Northampton days, I've not as yet ventured to any of the other great events, including the Cardiff Film and Comic Con.

If any of you have been before, it would be useful to hear your advice on the event, best places for staying, parking , eating etc in Cardiff as well as any thoughts on the venue (are their cash machines, food etc). And any other helpful tips that spring to mind.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

GG

Edited by GoldenGreen

Cardiff City is a lovely city to visit, I so far have attended Each show, mainly the Saturdays which are very busy. (Buy the early Bird tickets and you can jump the queues) The Venue used is very small about the size of MK now. I find there is always a good selection of guests and it's not maniac like LFCC.

Outside the venue there is a massive shopping area to loose yourself in and eating out is no way a problem, I think there is everything you can think of. At the top of the shopping area is Cardiff Castle a must see... Hotels I've not stayed at any but yes there are hotels near by. I think you can google them.

I travel up by train from London so only takes a couple of hours and the Venue is about 7minute walk from the station.

Overall I like Cardiff and think it's a great lovely city and one of the best places to attend for a day out.

Hope this helps. :smile:

In a bit of a dilemma with this one, only really coming down to see friends and James, and unsure whether its worth getting the early bird as opposed to a standard ticket. Problem is until we know schedule times cant make a decision and I guess by that time the shop will have closed but on a budget this time.

Can someone let me know how busy this one gets, does it take forever to get into the venue as only ever done MK and LFCC before.

thanks

Edited by buffy2k

Cardiff City is a lovely city to visit, I so far have attended Each show, mainly the Saturdays which are very busy. (Buy the early Bird tickets and you can jump the queues) The Venue used is very small about the size of MK now. I find there is always a good selection of guests and it's not maniac like LFCC.

Outside the venue there is a massive shopping area to loose yourself in and eating out is no way a problem, I think there is everything you can think of. At the top of the shopping area is Cardiff Castle a must see... Hotels I've not stayed at any but yes there are hotels near by. I think you can google them.

I travel up by train from London so only takes a couple of hours and the Venue is about 7minute walk from the station.

Overall I like Cardiff and think it's a great lovely city and one of the best places to attend for a day out.

Hope this helps. :smile:

That's great. Thanks space cadet.

Whilst I am a regular at Showmasters events, started going to the MK Centre for Collectormania 2, the first London Film and Comic Convention and Autographica back in its Northampton days, I've not as yet ventured to any of the other great events, including the Cardiff Film and Comic Con.

If any of you have been before, it would be useful to hear your advice on the event, best places for staying, parking , eating etc in Cardiff as well as any thoughts on the venue (are their cash machines, food etc). And any other helpful tips that spring to mind.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

GG

There are loads of stay in the city centre; ranging from Travelodge and Premier Inns up to Radisson Blu and Marriott all within literally 2 minute walk of the venue. The closest is probabaly either the Hotel Ibis or Big Sleep (I can't vouch for the quality of either of those, but if promixity is your priority then they are just across the road from the venue.

There is a section in the St David's 2 Centre for eating with a Nandos, Pizza Express, TGIs, Bellini's, Wagamamas, Red Hot World Buffet, or just a McDonalds or Burger King! Again these are all within a few minutes stroll of the arena.

If you are just popping over for the day, there is a huge multistorey across the road from the venue that offers 24 hour parking, and a John Lewis car park as well. There is inner-city parking around as well but it can fill up quickly on weekends.

There are more seasoned veterans of the convention circuit who can compare it to other events, but with regards to the city, it's a great day out - but maybe I'm just bias! :poki:

Hi there,

I have been to all the conventions in Cardiff so am somewhat a veteran now.

Advice: go early, get early bird tickets, go straight to your favourite stars when you go in.

Cash machines within 5 minute walk in town centre, loads of parking (well signposted), loads of food places near venue. Check weather as it was chucking it down last one (umbrella needed). Trains (2 stations, Queen St & Central) very close. If you're getting a signed photo, make sure you buy a protector which was available for £1 and keeps your photo safe.

Taking the wife as usual, i want to meet: Jessie Cave & Jeff Rawle from Harry Potter. My wife wants to meet: James Masters (spike from Buffy) and the one from Twilight.

Theres lots of good tips and advice already posted. I've worked in Cardiff for many years & I'd like to add that Cardiff is a great place to visit, its a busy & vibrant city with a wonderful selection of shops & sites near to the Motorpoint arena (unlike Milton Keyens which appears run down over the years). Parking & access to the show is dead simple and if you plan early you'll have no problems.

The queues at the show vary & i believe this can be down to the guest list. Last time i queued early to pay on the door and got it quicker than the majority of pre-paid due to the length if queue. I was in and out within an hour as i only wanted some autos with no guest queues.

So my advice is plan ahead, arrive early, get VT if guests have queue & enjoy the show, you won't be dissappointed 😀

Edited by Kirbinator