general discussion

• 2 months later...

My problems sorting out the camera settings caused a misunderstanding for clare Higgins, I was stood leaning against a wall in the same general area that the hellraiser guests were located trying to get the perfect settings (brightness, distance etc) for a photo, little did I realise the lens was pointing in her direction as I was doing so,then a member of the showmasters crew walks over to me and says 'what exactly are you taking pictures of?'

I say 'nothing, I'm just sorting out the settings because I haven't used the camera much', she says ' I was asking because clare is feeling a little uncomfortable because she thought you were taking loads of pictures of her' (I didn't even take a single one btw), I showed her the last pic I took was of some cosplayers earlier on in the day

So I told her to pass this information and my apologies onto clare and I didn't use the camera since

Sorry for the long messages btw

Edited by mark taz and skye

I say 'nothing, I'm just sorting out the settings because I haven't used the camera much', she says ' I was asking because clare is feeling a little uncomfortable because she thought you were taking loads of pictures of her' (I didn't even take a single one btw), I showed her the last pic I took was of some cosplayers earlier on in the day

So I told her to pass this information and my apologies onto clare and I didn't use the camera since

Sorry for the long messages btw

You know you could have put that in just one post right? :whistling:

Seriously I wouldn't not take your camera again because of that. It may have been a little embarrassing for you at the time, but at least you were able to show the crew member you weren't lying and weren't taking photo's of her and I'm sure the guest would have been perfectly happy with the explanation and she would have understood. Things like that happen, you weren't doing anything wrong, you can't be aware of everything around you at all times and how it may look to every single person around you.

Either have a bit of a practice with it before hand to familiarise yourself with the settings or if you want to play around in the venue (where you can test for the light settings ect) just have it in your head to make sure the lens is pointed down as much as possible maybe, or at least so you aren't pointing it in the same place for a long time.

I do get that Mark, and I get that it made you feel awkward about it. Believe me I've had a couple of things happen to me that I felt the same way about but in my head I really do know that they were really nothing. I still remember them and feel just as silly over them as when they happened but I know I'm blowing it far out of proportion.

It was one of those things, a completely innocent mix up, I get where she was coming from, why she may have thought what she did, in their line with stalkers and paps they have to be cautious but she would have understood, especially when the crew member said you'd shown him the memory and you didn't have any pictures of her. She probably forgot about it straight away once she'd been reassured all was ok - don't let it change what you do at future events. Most people bring camera's and take pictures and there's no reason you shouldn't.

All you have to do is be aware of those guests with no photo signs up and like I said, if you want to adjust your setting's and test your camera by all means do so, just try and remember to think where you are pointing it. It's obviously not that you can't have it pointing at one of the guests, it's that you don't want it to be pointing at them for too long.

That's all. It's really no biggie.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone here getting any autographs this year? I've never gotten one before but I'm thinking about it this year and wondering if its worth it?

My son and I had gotten autographs from here (not last year,but at all the others). I would say that it's definitely worth it. My son spent about 10 minutes talking to John Rhys-Davies, really nice guy, and about the same with Jeremy Bulloch, again really nice gent.

I've met Chris Barrie and Robert Lewellyn, both legends.

Not sure if we'll be getting any this year, going to wait and see who else is coming.

Anyone here getting any autographs this year? I've never gotten one before but I'm thinking about it this year and wondering if its worth it?

That's an open ended question Mark and will get you different responses from different people depending on their personal desires.  Do you mean you aren't usually an auto collector?  For me that's why I go, I love cast signed posters/picture - I think they look fantastic once signed, but I'm rarely fussed about photo's unless it's someone I really want to meet or if it's included in the ticket price.

Others however will give you the same response the other way around.

There's no 'better' or 'worth it' to me, just what appeals to you.

Go for it then, and see what you think after, you just have to decide if you buy a poster and get it cast signed or go for the 8x10's they have at the guest tables and get them individually done.

Bear in mind that we have now lost a couple of the main cast of some of the films and who knows if they will ever get Sigourney Weaver back, you never know but I wouldn't bank on it.