RTME CANCELLED - All Tickets to be Refunded in Full

Massive Events

• Showmasters Admin

Hi there,

Unfortunately, as you may already be aware, Return to Middle Earth has had to be cancelled.

All tickets, including postage, will be automatically refunded in full back onto the cards that were used to purchase them. Please bear with us as this will take a few days to process and then it also takes a few days to appear on your card once we have processed the refund. Should we have any issues making a refund you will be contacted individually by phone or e-mail.

Please accept our apologies for the cancellation. It did look like we were going to be able to run something with some of the cast of The Hobbit on the weekend of 15th/16th December, however due to guest unavailability that will not now be possible.

Instead, we will, with the co-operation of the people making The Hobbit and responsible for The Lord of the Rings, be running a new event in March/April of 2013. We will have more news on this very soon and it should be an amazing event both in terms of guests and things to do and see at the event, since we have the co-operation of the people making the movie! We had been asked not to run something before the release of the new Hobbit film, and we had hoped to then be able to do something upon it's release. Although that has not proved possible we are very excited about the future of the event with the new contacts we have and their enthusiasm for providing something amazing for the fans!

For now though, rather than give people the option of moving tickets across from RTME to the new event we feel it is best to refund everyone and then when we have details of the new event everyone will be able to decide then whether they would like to book.

As a token of our appreciation for those of you who booked tickets for RTME, and also by way of apology for the fact that it is no longer taking place, we will be providing something special for you for this new event. When we have more details on the event we will e-mail you individually with what we can do for you should you wish to attend. Jason and I both appreciate your support and can promise that we will look after you on this.

Once again, I am sorry that RTME has been cancelled and for any inconvenience caused. You do not need to contact us to request a refund as that will be done automatically, however, if you have any other specific enquiries then please do e-mail us on info@collectormania.com.

Thank you and take care,

Mark & Jason

Make sure its not end of march as that as theres another event with lots of guests going to that i think (i cant go to it)

But i will be at this new event you guys are making for sure And hopefully there are tons of guests

My wallet is already crying

Lets hope all 13 hobbits can come to it :D

Edited by mflowers

If you booked at the event hotel as per the website details then you will receive a refund for the hotel.

Otherwise any refunds will need to be discussed with whoever you booked with.

It is no different than if a music/sporting event is cancelled. When that happens there is normally an option for the event tickets to be refunded, as in this case. Accommodation/transport reimbursements are not (normally) provided by the organisers though.

Edited by 1of2

I can't believe this!! One thing after another!!!!!! I was hoping to move the hotel to December so I don't loose my money as they said I can push the dates back.

Can you tell me that if I push the dates back to april...will I be able to change it closer to the time again?!

Will it be in the same hotel?

Someone needs to help out the people that are being screwed over by this....doesn't matter who you booked through...massive events should be trying to help each and every single person out...this would be good customer service!!!!!!

I work in sales and operations at a tv company and if we treated out clients like this we would be getting disiplinarys.

You should be emailing each and every person and trying your best to find ways to assist us.

Can you tell me that if I push the dates back to april...will I be able to change it closer to the time again?!

Only the people you book with will be able to confirm that.

Will it be in the same hotel?
Sorry but the venue/dates are unknown currently.

Someone needs to help out the people that are being screwed over by this....doesn't matter who you booked through...massive events should be trying to help each and every single person out...this would be good customer service!!!!!!

You should be emailing each and every person and trying your best to find ways to assist us.

Personally, from the perspective of a non-event hotel, I'm not sure how being contacted by an unknown third party regarding a guest refund is going to result in change of policy regarding refunds.

Using my example from above of a cancelled concert. I personally wouldn't expect the artist/management/whoever to contact me for details of my transport/accommodation arrangements so that they can arrange refunds with whoever I booked with. The same applies with conventions/signing events, no matter who the organiser.

Unfortunately there is always a risk involved when booking anything that is non-refundable.

I think somebody should think PRETTY SOON of putting a notice up on the main page. Knowing the organisational ability of your set-up this probably won't happen until Thursday but, every little helps.

I know this is not all your fault, but this is the third event we were planning on attending, and had paid for in advance, in Northampton, that has been cancelled THIS YEAR.

We are not going to push our plans back to December, nor April, nor any other dates you care to mention that you are planning an event.

I hate to switch sides but the fact is that there is nothing you can do if you booked a non-refundable hotel room.

If you book your room as instructed on the Con website, you will be refunded if it's cancelled.

If not, then you must read the small print or live with the consequences.

I too am angry that they left it so late to cancel. I too have lost money on a non-refundable room, but I knew it was a risk and made sure it was an amount I could afford to loose.

It really sucks I know, but all you can do is treat it as a learning experience and move on.

• Like 1

I think somebody should think PRETTY SOON of putting a notice up on the main page. Knowing the organisational ability of your set-up this probably won't happen until Thursday but, every little helps.

I have to agree, putting up a notice on the main website should be the main priority, then updating this forum after that.

Edited by ChromeBiatch

I have to agree, putting up a notice on the main website should be the main priority, then updating this forum after that.

Yes. Also consider that they knew it wasn't going ahead ON THE 12TH! (See other threads.)

I very much doubt I will get my £104 back for the cost of the hotel but what makes me most angry is the DISORGANISATION and lack of CUSTOMER SERVICE provided by ME. It frustrates me that the organisers think they can just brush everyone off with promises of what's coming next. But to be honest I would be surprised if the new date even sticks

• Like 1

I very much doubt I will get my £104 back for the cost of the hotel but what makes me most angry is the DISORGANISATION and lack of CUSTOMER SERVICE provided by ME. It frustrates me that the organisers think they can just brush everyone off with promises of what's coming next. But to be honest I would be surprised if the new date even sticks

To save you some frustration, maybe directing said frustration through direct contact via e-mail would be better? They have already "hidden" some posts that have gotten personal in name calling etc. The last thing I personally would want to see is someone try and wind you up making you more frustrated.

To save you some frustration, maybe directing said frustration through direct contact via e-mail would be better? They have already "hidden" some posts that have gotten personal in name calling etc. The last thing I personally would want to see is someone try and wind you up making you more frustrated.

Unfortunately, and I have had this myself in the past, when things go wrong there are people in this world who get a kick out of winding people up and standing back.

Some things could have been expressed better when people replied, and in another thread some people were making personal name calling attacks on others as their opinion differed. These posts have been removed as it is not nice.

I can see the frustration of many people, and I agree that communications could have been better, But, and this is a big but (not mine :thumbup: ), sometimes it is impossible to comment on contract negotiations etc. It is frustrating for both sides, but I can see how bad it can seem from a fan attending. I had hoped to come to this one, but losing my job stopped that.

I can also understand the hotel situation, but in this situation I can see why some people took the "it will not be moved" announcement as final. I have seen events moved or cancelled before, and Massive Events are not alone in this situation. That is why I have always used the convention hotel as there are always cancellation possibilities.

I have also seen comments about the website. But the vast majority of people who help organise the events have daytime jobs and do this as volunteers.

I could go on and on as a devil's advocate seeing it at both sides, but what I want to say is not to let yourself get too frustrated or upset. Direct your frustration at trying to sort this matter out. see if you can move the hotel booking to a later date and ask them if the date changes (which it will as you do not know the official date), can you change again?

I hope it works out for you, and try not to upset or frustrate yourself.

Simon

Edited by BigSi13

I hate to switch sides but the fact is that there is nothing you can do if you booked a non-refundable hotel room.

If you book your room as instructed on the Con website, you will be refunded if it's cancelled.

If not, then you must read the small print or live with the consequences.

I too am angry that they left it so late to cancel. I too have lost money on a non-refundable room, but I knew it was a risk and made sure it was an amount I could afford to loose.

It really sucks I know, but all you can do is treat it as a learning experience and move on.

I second that

Unfortunately, and I have had this myself in the past, when things go wrong there are people in this world who get a kick out of winding people up and standing back.

Some things could have been expressed better when people replied, and in another thread some people were making personal name calling attacks on others as their opinion differed. These posts have been removed as it is not nice.

I can see the frustration of many people, and I agree that communications could have been better, But, and this is a big but (not mine :thumbup: ), sometimes it is impossible to comment on contract negotiations etc. It is frustrating for both sides, but I can see how bad it can seem from a fan attending. I had hoped to come to this one, but losing my job stopped that.

I can also understand the hotel situation, but in this situation I can see why some people took the "it will not be moved" announcement as final. I have seen events moved or cancelled before, and Massive Events are not alone in this situation. That is why I have always used the convention hotel as there are always cancellation possibilities.

I have also seen comments about the website. But the vast majority of people who help organise the events have daytime jobs and do this as volunteers.

I could go on and on as a devil's advocate seeing it at both sides, but what I want to say is not to let yourself get too frustrated or upset. Direct your frustration at trying to sort this matter out. see if you can move the hotel booking to a later date and ask them if the date changes (which it will as you do not know the official date), can you change again?

I hope it works out for you, and try not to upset or frustrate yourself.

Simon

I understand what you're saying and I know I've been on the rampage. It just feels like ME do not really care about loyal fans. They keep making empty promises of bigger and better things. But I'm not saying anymore about it. I just probably won't attend an ME event again.

:)

• Like 1

Also just think on the plus, There will be a much bigger con now with lots more guests in march/April :D

Haven't we heard this before?

Well you've also had a good example of how going the offical licenced route can produce bigger and better - with Star Trek

But then yes, it was said before that Twilight would be going that route too, but wasn't the company bought out?

I think Massive Events have made the right call here - in not doing the event in December. An event from scratch in four weeks with no publicity other than word of mouth would not have been wise when the people you want to spread the word aren't that impressed with you and potenially out of pocket.

But as I said on the other thread, if an event can be allowed to be promoted and not be officially cancelled 8 days before the event is due to be run, it makes me very wary of booking anything non-refundable - to the point that having to pay trains last minute makes attending unaffordable - I can't write off money like that.

If the hotel knew a month ago, the attendees should have known too.

• Like 1

Also just think on the plus, There will be a much bigger con now with lots more guests in march/April :D

Haven't we heard this before?

Well you've also had a good example of how going the offical licenced route can produce bigger and better - with Star Trek

But then yes, it was said before that Twilight would be going that route too, but wasn't the company bought out?

I think Massive Events have made the right call here - in not doing the event in December. An event from scratch in four weeks with no publicity other than word of mouth would not have been wise when the people you want to spread the word aren't that impressed with you and potenially out of pocket.

But as I said on the other thread, if an event can be allowed to be promoted and not be officially cancelled 8 days before the event is due to be run, it makes me very wary of booking anything non-refundable - to the point that having to pay trains last minute makes attending unaffordable - I can't write off money like that.

If the hotel knew a month ago, the attendees should have known too.

Exactly :)

• Showmasters Admin

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to come on here and say a few words so you all know where we stand on this and to let you know we do understand that some of you are disappointed but in the long run its going to be for the better.

1 We have not been to lucky with this event. We have been asked not to run this event before the Hobbits

release and as such we had to cancel this event. We have a good future with the Hobbit and we do not want

to upset anyone so we cancelled this event. Then we were offered many of the cast for the weekend after the

films release. We then tried to locate a big hotel to put an event on with these cast members. We did not

have any luck on finding a hotel with the space. Then as we were still looking we found out that some of the

guests we wanted to have attend the event would now not be able to attend this date either. After talking it

over with the guests we want to have attend we have all agreed its better to not try to put an event together on

short notice, and to get everything we need in place to put on a big event on in early 2013. This way everyone

will get the event they want to attend and not something just put together in a hurry.

2 Showmasters do run good, fair, and fun events and we have worked with more LOTR guests than any other

organiser in the world so we are in the best place to make a mega Hobbit event and that’s just what we have

planned. When we first started up Collectormania it was around the time the LOTRs films came out and we had

guests like Elijah,Dom,Sean,Billy,Andy and many many more, so we have a amazing record on great guests

from LOTRs, but back then we did not run conventions. Now we do we really want to put on the best Hobbit

con we can and that’s what we are working on right now.

3 We never want to cancel an event as we also loose money whenever we have to cancel. There are hotel

hire costs that we do not get back that are $1000s, guests flights, credit card charges, advertising, etc.

4 After working with CBS on our Star Trek con we have learnt a lot from this and everything we learnt we are

going to incorporate into all our conventions in 2013 and beyond so you will all see lots of new things from us in

2013. Everyone in the office is using Nov and Dec to go over last years event look at the good things and the

things that did not work and improve these things and do more of the things that did work well , so we can

provide much more of the good things that you all enjoyed over this year .

Anyway here is a few things on my mind and I just wanted to share this with you. I also wanted to just say we do care about running all our events and we do care that you all have a good time and get what you are promised. We are decent people here that are all fans as well. We will keep on improving the events we run and we will listen to you and take on board what you want to see and do at the events we run.

Thank you for your support over the years and helping us put on the events we love to run.

More on this and all our events as we have more news.

See you all soon

Jason

Edited by 1of2
  • Like 2