JPEG's of photo sessions

Metal Gear

As was mentioned previously, quite a few people are interested in getting hold of the digital versions of their photoshoots. I was just wondering what the official reply to this would be (either by Showmasters or if the photographers come on here). I KNOW they are huge images, and I KNOW it would be a big operation if a lot of people wanted them, but would it be a possibility for either LFCC-2008 or future events?

Edited by Metal Gear

I am very interested in this too. Most of the time I only use the pictures on the computer and no matter which medium we use to get it on the computer, it results in a loss of quality.

That said, I have a beautiful photo album full of them, so I wouldn't want to eliminate the normal photos. Just the jpegs as a potential extra?

I went to a convention in Germany earlier this year (with around 2500 attendees) and they sent out JPEGs after the event for free. All you had to do was email them with your photo shoot number and a description of yourself.

Also, if you took a pen drive to the photo collection area on the Sunday they would give you your copy there and then.

I suspect the sheer logistics of this , would be almost impossible to meet. Either the amount of webspace required to upload the images to would be cost prohibitive. Or the bandwidth required to email them to people would also be nuts.

Everyone whose ever got photoshoots knows the sizes of the queues, then each jpeg would probably be around 4mb in file size, then multiply that by however many people get photoshoots....

The time factor of doing this, would be insane, as also anyone who maintains their own website knows how long it can take to upload files as well.

I think I've asked before and basically, the chances of getting them were slim to none.

I guess the best way they could do this would be to upload the thumbnails like last year with numbers below each one and you could e-mail them to e-mail your photo(s). I don't see bandwidth being a problem in e-mailing people, unless said person e-mailing was using dial-up.

I wouldn't have imagined uploading to a website would have crossed their minds. As you say, the sheer size and numbers involved. I was more imagining a supply on request service. Either emailing personal details and/or a photo and asking for the jpeg, or completing a form at the event itself (if it is too late for LFCC-2008).

My photos are great and will hopefully last a long time, but 3 factors stick in my head; having an original from which copies can be made (which will not deteriorate as it's digital), having the original incase anything ever happens to the photo, and having the digital copy incase you prefer digital viewing.

The reason I'm asking now is I would love to have my LFCC ones before they are deleted.

I think its a great idea - and also a good way for SM to make some more money, i'd be more than happy to pay for my JPEGs. Think about it SM, it's all extra money for very little effort! I'm guessing you could probably charge £5+ to either email or post the pics on a CD.

With any luck it would be free. I've been to conventions in the past where they were happy to email the photos when I contacted them. The main difference here would be the amount of people photographed.

Edited by Metal Gear

Agreed. As I said, I managed to get photos emailed from conventions without any issues. If anything, the idea of charging for getting your photos on a CD should be an option IN ADDITION to have the free ones.

You know, this may be really naive, but I don't think hundreds of people would want their jpegs. I'm of the impression you would be talking about a (relatively) small amount of people who it would be easy enough to email the pics to...

Edited by Metal Gear

The conventions in the US charge $10 to have a digital copy of your photos. I certainly wouldnt expect to get them for nothing here, it would take time and effort to find the particular images for each person. I'd be happy to pay up to £5 to have my images emailed or sent to me.

If anything, the idea of charging for getting your photos on a CD should be an option IN ADDITION to have the free ones.

Wouldnt happen in a month of sundays! Sorry. Emailing out is one thing..but to have 1 (maybe 2 or 3) jpg images per person PER CD would take not only forever with the whole setting up to burn a disk and all that, but then you not only got the cost of blank cd's to add on, but also just think of all that extra plastic waste!!

Personally I only write a cd/dvd when ive got enough data to fill it up and make the most of it. To put just one photo on is unimaginable!

I liked the idea of being able to put the file onto a flash drive at the show...

No offence, but how many people do you know who take a flash drive with them to the shows? Ok some do, but those who didnt would moan it was unfair because they wouldnt be able to grab theirs.

As for the idea of emailing it to people..for one..how would whoever know which picture to send where?

Yes inevitably you could leave details like people do to have photos posted with them, but you'd be bound to get "im the guy with claudia" and things like that of no help to people, so what happens when they dont get their photos? Then theres email addresses might be full or disabled, or anything else that could cause emails to bounce back.. Then theres dodgy spam filters which could automatically bin emails.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

As for the idea of emailing it to people..for one..how would whoever know which picture to send where?

Yes inevitably you could leave details like people do to have photos posted with them, but you'd be bound to get "im the guy with claudia"

A conversation once with Too Tall was well funny on what gets written down at times when having to describe yourself to have the photo sent to you. 'I'm the german with the moustache' lol!

knowing which picture to email isnt difficult, every hard copy photo has the file name on the back of it which is unique to that image.

This is assuming of course people still pick up the hard copy, and/or know what their looking for as some people will no doubt just look at you with a blank look if you ask for the filename..

It's not knowing which picture to email to who though. It's the time it would take to email all the photos to everyone. Showmasters have a good system as it is and once the event is done I'm pretty sure they got other stuff that's more important to sort out like getting in contact with potential guests for later shows or the whole organization of later shows. Oh and rest. They need their rest too.

Well I assume any digital photo distribution would be done by Malcolm or one of his helpers rather than Showmasters own people, since he's th one with the photos and the memory cards. So that wouldnt impact on Showmasters' time.

Also, as I've said previously, I don't think it would be a case of everyone wanting them. I 'm not even suggesting making it a standard procedure. It doesn't need to be a business arrangement, but instead giving us an email address so people who are REALLY interested could ask for their photos (using the number on the back of the photo and a brief description).

No offence, but how many people do you know who take a flash drive with them to the shows?

At the moment, it's probably relatively few, but I know several people who always carry one. In fact my old boss, who is a long way from a computer geek, has a 256Mb one on her keyring, which was given aways as a freebie at a (non-computing) conference last year. Which means they're pretty cheap, and could be the next "handy gadget" that everybody has. You can currently pick up a 1Gb memory stick for about a fiver or even less. I reckon that in a year or two they'll be readily available in newsagents, such that people could walk out of Earls Court and buy one for a few quid within a few minutes if they didn't have one with them. They could already do that at MK shows, with all those stores in the centre.

In fact, there's a potential minor earner for Showmasters; if they could get a bulk purchase of memory sticks (say 50 or 100), perhaps maybe even branded, they could offer you a copy of your jpeg(s) on a memory stick they give you for say a fiver or six quid, and maybe they could make 2 or 3 quid on the deal. Not a whole hill of beans compared to some other enterprises, but profit is profit :-)