Leaving it a bit late?

Undesirable

Why not wait with the complaining until the event is over and done? I mean, if you go there with the attitude that everything will suck - you'll have a REALLY boring time. That's to be expected. Criticism usually is taken more seriously if the event has occured when you start with the complaining. :poki: Instead of going there with a bad attitude - go there and try and have fun. :) If you still disappointed after the event - tell them what you thought. I just think it's weird spreading all this negativity before the event even has taken place.

Edited by Mandelina

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, firstly I want to say thanks to the people who have been organising this, I know it hasn't been easy.

I just wanted to express my frustration at the guests that will be attending the event. Now, I have NOTHING against the actors, I think they're all great but I think that it is a joke that we are expected to take these 'guests' happily when we've paid £125 for the ticket and another £120 for the hotel and then £30+ for petrol there and back. I don't think it's acceptable that we're paying £275 to meet some guests that I wouldn't even recognise in the films! Okay, I accept that supporting actors would be attending the event but I don't see how these guests will be able to hold engaging talks with us about the movies when they barely have any lines in the films. I don't agree with people who say that we are there for meeting other HP fans. If I wanted to do that, I would organise it for FREE on facebook or something. The community spirit is fun but what I am really paying for is a chance to meet the cast that I look foward to watching on the big screen and listening to their experiences on set.

I'm not stupid enough to think that Rupert, Daniel or Emma could attend and I know some actors are busy or cannot attend but I don't think these guests are good enough. I mean, is William Melling legally old enough to work long enough to attend the talks, photoshoots, signings and parties? We're talking about a lot of money here and I guess thats the price we pay for stupidly booking before any other guests are announced but SM has always had a good reputation. I'm not even going to mention compensation because I will be laughed off this forum, but I feel like we should get it, personally.

Anyway, I will try and have a good weekend, lets see how it goes...

I can kind of see both sides. However, it was always going to be difficult to get the bigger guests because I guess that they're wither promoting the current film far and wide OR filming for the next one. So although they would usually be UK based, it may well be that alot of them aren't at the moment.

I suppose people go to cons for different reason - those who go purely for the guests are of course going to be slightly disappointed with these guests.

I think I may be at a slight advantage over seasoned con-goers as it is my first con, so I've no preconceptions of what it's going to be like. I'm just hoping to have a good time with other fans, and to meet some of the actors.

Bring on tomorrow. :P

Okay, I accept that supporting actors would be attending the event but I don't see how these guests will be able to hold engaging talks with us about the movies when they barely have any lines in the films.

If everybody took that in consideration, there would have been nobody in the Phelps queue at LFCC, and yet there was a HUGE line to meet them. Okay, the Weasleys brothers are more famous than, say Pansy. They don't have many lines in the films though. (And this is a real shame, but that is not the problem here) Not many lines AT ALL, if you look at the last film. And I don't know if you were there in London, but their talk was amazing, they were great to listen to, and great to meet too. And if you want my opinion, I was happier with them than with any other guest I met, even if thoses had "more lines" in their films. I think it just doesn't really count. An actor can be great to meet even if he doesn't have a very important or long role in a movie, and it can be great to hear some anecdotes we wouldn't know with other guests.

I can't go to Muggle Mayhem but if I could, I really would, because I think it is really worth it, main guests or supporting guests, that's not the most important thing, but I can understand that others may have a different point of view, it all depends on what you expect from such an event. When you booked your tickets, you didn't know who was going to be there, and you had no guarantee about any potential actors. And when you think that the shooting for HP7 began last Monday, the fact that there are no main actors attending the event was predictable (they're all filming).

Sorry if this is quite a long answer, I don't know what I was thinking when I first started to write this message...

Night all, and HAVE FUN TOMORROW!! (Oh and I WANT some photos!)

^ Just in reply to the post above...

It's okay for you to say that as an outsider but as HPaddicted said, we have shelled out a lot of money for this event if you add it all up so we (stupidly) expected to meet guests of a certain calibre. I don't even recognise Pansy from the films for goodness sake. Just someone like Malfoy or the twins was all i was expecting, not too much to expect if you ask me, but there you go.

Scoop i know the twins don't have many lines in the film however they are well known/loved characters in the books and films and James and Oliver are also well known for their amazing meet and greets. I personally would regard them as a much better guest than the ones we have...just saying..

I'm not replying to be rude or pick on anyone because you are entitled to your opinions, but it is a completely different ball game from where i'm standing. I'm looking foward to meeting Frank and going to the parties, but in all honesty i would love a refund on the whole thing.

• Moderators

It is unfortunate that they weren't able to get some higher calibre guests alongside these ones.

Obviously offering refunds at this point for people who "don't like the guests" would be very dangerous in terms of future events. I'm sure people can understand how it's not possible to do that.

Hopefully those who do go will have an enjoyable time though, and perhaps if there's a MM2 organised in future with a reasonable amount of time to schedule compared to this one, it'll be a more successful event for everyone involved.

It is unfortunate that they weren't able to get some higher calibre guests alongside these ones.

Obviously offering refunds at this point for people who "don't like the guests" would be very dangerous in terms of future events. I'm sure people can understand how it's not possible to do that.

Hopefully those who do go will have an enjoyable time though, and perhaps if there's a MM2 organised in future with a reasonable amount of time to schedule compared to this one, it'll be a more successful event for everyone involved.

The thing is though it has the opposite effects as well, if someone wants a refund they should be entitled to one if you buy something from a shop you're allowed to.

I mean what if this puts people off having faith in SM again?

Im not saying this personally if you look in my sig im planning to goto loads of events two of which are paid for, and wish so much this con next week as I would've been going. I just think everything regarding this a double edged sword

Edited by Crépuscule

if someone wants a refund they should be entitled to one if you buy something from a shop you're allowed to.

It's not that simple. Many tickets for airlines, trains, gigs, theatre productions, sporting events etc are non-refundable, as are some hotel and restaurant bookings. The terms and conditions (including the non-refundable nature of the tickets) are made quite clear when you buy them. Caveat emptor, as they said in Ancient Rome.

• Showmasters Admin

Anyone know how far the station is from the hotel ? Is it Walkable? ... google maps looks like there's a gigantic massively huge road between hotel + station.

It is walkable. It'll take about 10 minutes. The road is big, but it has a lot of crossings. We cross it almost every time we're there as the all you can eat Chinese is on the other side of it.

Edited by Too Tall

Anyone know how far the station is from the hotel ? Is it Walkable? ... google maps looks like there's a gigantic massively huge road between hotel + station.

It is walkable. It'll take about 10 minutes. The road is big, but it has a lot of crossings. We cross it almost every time we're there as the all you can eat Chinese is on the other side of it.

Ah thankyou, that's good to know from a walking and eating point of view :P I struggled to find anything decent last time, apart from the american diner mmmm who's for prawn crackers? x