Leaving it a bit late?

Undesirable

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldn't it make more sense, rather than holding an event clearly a majority are not happy with at least cost wise.

Re schedule an event

Thereby causing a loss to anybody who is coming who has booked non-refundable transport tickets, and anybody who may have booked non-refundable accommodation elsewhere. Plus annoying anybody else who had turned down something else this weekend in order to come to the event. Plus the people who suffer are those fans who actually committed to come to the event. Seems like they are the last people that should be suffering. Sure, look at ways of compensating them for the lack of guests (should lack of guests still be a problem come the actual convention), but try to avoid them suffering the costs and inconveniences of cancellation.

EDIT: Clearly I have no idea of any costs for SM to cancel this event etc, the idea is coming purely from a guests point of view :) Ah well, I can't see them cancelling realistically, i intend to enjoy myself regardless.

This close to an event, I imagine that the cancellation fee will be the same as the booking fee, since there's so little time to find replacements. That would mean that the event would probably have to pay either full cost or a hefty percentage of it for all the conference facilities they've booked, plus their hotel rooms. Plus probably something for all the rooms booked by attendees which will also get cancelled. Plus probably a goodly proportion of the guests' fees (since they'll have also given up the chance for alternative work this weekend, or turned down personal stuff. Plus of course all the staff time that has gone into booking this event and organising the activities will be a cost that won't be covered. Plus the cost of refunding all the payments. (Credit card companies charge per transaction, so for every refund as well as every booking).

Basically cancelling this close to the event will cost them a substantial amount.

Well, I've sort of yo-yo'd on this event. I was so ecstatic when it was announced - which you can sort of see as I'm Gold 3! I began to get a bit worried as there were no further guest announcements and a little guilty because I'd persuaded my younger sister to pay out for Gold with me too! But now I'm getting really excited again.

I know it's not the kind of convention most of us signed up for, but ME/SM are obviously putting in a lot of effort to making it a fun event for all. Even my dubious sister is saying that it seems to be a better kind of con then ones I've talked about in the past and we're both really looking forward to it. I'd definitely pay again for Muggle Mayhem 2! (Fingers crossed!)

wouldn't it make more sense, rather than holding an event clearly a majority are not happy with at least cost wise.

Re schedule an event

Thereby causing a loss to anybody who is coming who has booked non-refundable transport tickets, and anybody who may have booked non-refundable accommodation elsewhere. Plus annoying anybody else who had turned down something else this weekend in order to come to the event. Plus the people who suffer are those fans who actually committed to come to the event. Seems like they are the last people that should be suffering. Sure, look at ways of compensating them for the lack of guests (should lack of guests still be a problem come the actual convention), but try to avoid them suffering the costs and inconveniences of cancellation.

EDIT: Clearly I have no idea of any costs for SM to cancel this event etc, the idea is coming purely from a guests point of view :) Ah well, I can't see them cancelling realistically, i intend to enjoy myself regardless.

This close to an event, I imagine that the cancellation fee will be the same as the booking fee, since there's so little time to find replacements. That would mean that the event would probably have to pay either full cost or a hefty percentage of it for all the conference facilities they've booked, plus their hotel rooms. Plus probably something for all the rooms booked by attendees which will also get cancelled. Plus probably a goodly proportion of the guests' fees (since they'll have also given up the chance for alternative work this weekend, or turned down personal stuff. Plus of course all the staff time that has gone into booking this event and organising the activities will be a cost that won't be covered. Plus the cost of refunding all the payments. (Credit card companies charge per transaction, so for every refund as well as every booking).

Basically cancelling this close to the event will cost them a substantial amount.

Makes a lot of sense :)

I never expected the big 3 as never done a con and doubt they ever will

But this con has turned into Lost all over again. Showmasters clearly have too many cons and this once again proves it . There is no way this con at the way it stands is worth £125 .

Heres hoping tonight thiy get Tom , Evannah , Bonnie , Freddie Stroma or David Thewlis to prove me wrong. I am hoping they can get somebody big but its Wednesday so not holding out much hope.

Harsh times. But if we're stating opinions here...

also i find it fascinating how over what is in fact 2 days, SM are gonna fill the days up with autographs and talks - with only 3 minor guests... hmmmmm interesting eh?!

Well if you actually read the threads pinned at the top of the forum before having a rant, then you may see that it's quite evident they're making a humongous effort to bring us a range of activities to fill up the weekend that most other people seem to be 1) excited about and 2) appreciative of.

Maybe that doesn't make up for "meeting famous people" for some, but surprisingly enough other fans come because they actually like the fandom as well. Meeting people who are just as enthusiastic about it and all that. Perhaps even having fun? A PPP workshop for example seems pretty fun (and damn inventive too - obviously not a result of poor effort) to me. Not "kinda pointless" (in which case why bother going?).

(also, at least 75% of the people going or wanting to go are fans of twilight aswell, so i would say most of these people are poor now because of 3 eternal twilights and the proms.... )

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a complaint about Showmasters. But they run events for fans. It's their job. We can't complain if there are lots of events we want to go to.

Though I guess that's a problem in itself. The Twilight mentality, and the fact that there are so many more people around who are part of it. It seems to be more of a "we all like these books and movies with - oooohh - pretty actors we just /have/ to meet" thing than the HP fandom that seems in my opinion to be more community-centered.

Notice that most previous huge HP conventions (mainly USA I suppose) are more about meeting up and being rabid geeks /together/ whilst not being laughed at for running around in cloaks...than hero worship, like you see at Twicon etc. (Not that I will ever complain about meeting Kellan Lutz xD)

So the fact that we have the possibility of guests at all could even be seen as a huge bonus! :P

well.... i wasnt having a rant. i was just expressing my opinion. seems to me that people cant 'express opinions' on here much anymore because some people take it out of context. everything i said i stand by. just because some people are 'followers' of showmasters... lol. all i say is, SM shouldnt say they aim to get ... whatever amount of guests they hope to get, and then dont. cos there are a lot of fans that assume that will automatically happen, and then you get this problem where it doesnt. if say they just announced as time goes on... that i could understand. i know people dont care what i say so its all good, im just saying.

other than money wise.. i dont have a problem against showmasters. i just wish some people wouldnt get so damned preachy about them as if they are all gods. they work to organise, they do their best, and i am grateful, but like i said, they aint gods lol.

nuff said :WAVE:

but i am now soooo pleased natalia tena's band is going... although i'm guessing nat is going too? or if she isnt, the rest of her band is taking over haha...

:blush:

and along with everyone else.... i like lost lol

but yeh david... we'll keep it to harry potter....

:lol:

i always think that these conventions should have a 30 day guarantee or something lol but i know that aint ever gonna happen. grrr lol

so yeah.. i see another guest has been announced... bout time too :D

1 thing tho... i am NOT looking forward to traffic on way to northampton! haha

if i knew more people going... it wouldnt be so bad, cos i aint so good at just going up to someone.

• Moderators

seems to me that people cant 'express opinions' on here much anymore because some people take it out of context. everything i said i stand by. just because some people are 'followers' of showmasters... lol.

People can express opinions, but I'm fairly sure if you're posting them on this forum, you're expecting someone to reply right? :smile:

I don't like people being called "followers" of Showmasters just because they don't criticise them, and they're actually happy. That's a little unfair.

As for everything else, that's fine. It's your opinion, and you are allowed to express it. But yeah, if you're wanting to express yours, I think you need to let others do the same without calling them 'followers' :smile:

seems to me that people cant 'express opinions' on here much anymore because some people take it out of context. everything i said i stand by. just because some people are 'followers' of showmasters... lol.

People can express opinions, but I'm fairly sure if you're posting them on this forum, you're expecting someone to reply right? :smile:

I don't like people being called "followers" of Showmasters just because they don't criticise them, and they're actually happy. That's a little unfair.

As for everything else, that's fine. It's your opinion, and you are allowed to express it. But yeah, if you're wanting to express yours, I think you need to let others do the same without calling them 'followers' :lol:

i dont mind people replying. but i get the feeling sometimes that others can get away with saying things and i cant. might be paranoia, might be true. who knows. i certainly dont.

:smile:

the truth is out there.

Edited by Edwardsbackupgirl

I hope Robbie and Josh aren't considered to be the "regular cast". That would be ridiculous since all the confirmed guests have..what..5 lines between them..?

Geez, i am so grumpy right now. But i'm tired of pretending i'm okay with this line up. No offence to the actors but it feels like i've paid to meet the extras. How are they meant to provide us with interesting talks when they are barely in the films. Grr..

I hope Robbie and Josh aren't considered to be the "regular cast". That would be ridiculous since all the confirmed guests have..what..5 lines between them..?

Geez, i am so grumpy right now. But i'm tired of pretending i'm okay with this line up. No offence to the actors but it feels like i've paid to meet the extras. How are they meant to provide us with interesting talks when they are barely in the films. Grr..

see when you say stuff like that, you get away with it. if i was to say it id get people telling me to be grateful and to shut up.

i totally agree with you. although i got standard, i feel that the effort getting to northampton and the hotel cost is more than its worth tbh.

i'm sure i'll have fun. but... i might not.

• Moderators

see when you say stuff like that, you get away with it. if i was to say it id get people telling me to be grateful and to shut up.

I'm not sure why you feel that way. As far as I can tell, only ONE person replied to your original post. Is that correct? You make it sound like everyone ganged up on you and told you to shut up.

No one is 'getting away with it' - everyone's entitled to reply to whatever posts they want. Perhaps it won't be to every single post, but it doesn't mean you're being victimised.

You really shouldn't see it that way. No one's picking on you :smile:

I'm not sure why you feel that way. As far as I can tell, only ONE person replied to your original post. Is that correct? You make it sound like everyone ganged up on you and told you to shut up.

No one is 'getting away with it' - everyone's entitled to reply to whatever posts they want. Perhaps it won't be to every single post, but it doesn't mean you're being victimised.

You really shouldn't see it that way. No one's picking on you :smile:

*cries dramatically* but you all hate meeeeeee mwaaaaaahhhh :lol::lol::lol:

*joke*

i dont feel like you're ganging up on me. but you can deny it all you like... but there are some people that do have doublestandards. - okay.. me included.

:jason:

dont hate..... appreciate

:smile:

• Showmasters Admin

It's honestly not about ME leaving it too late. They have been working as hard as hell to get the regular cast members to this event from the moment it was announced. After a month of trying it's not happened and that's why it's appeared it was left until the last minute.

We've worked with a lot of the HP cast in the past and have a lot of contacts with them. As it's turned out, the regular cast members ME hoped to get are either busy or have not wished to do it.

Is it a pain, yes of course it is. But they've been working their butts off to get together the best event they can. We've got 5 guests and I know they are working on another. They've got Natalia's band for the ball and they've also been coming but with some other great things to do over the weekend.

It WILL be a great weekend. Some of our smallest events have turned out to be the most fun, for the guests, the attendees and the crew.

These weekend events are more than "just" about the guests. I understand that for a lot of you, the guests mean a lot, and it is a shame that the regular cast were not available to do this event. But at this stage there's not much that can be done about that, and I'm sorry if you are disappointed.

But please try and put that disappointment behind you, come along at the weekend and have a lot of fun.

well.... i wasnt having a rant. i was just expressing my opinion. seems to me that people cant 'express opinions' on here much anymore because some people take it out of context. everything i said i stand by. just because some people are 'followers' of showmasters... lol. all i say is, SM shouldnt say they aim to get ... whatever amount of guests they hope to get, and then dont. cos there are a lot of fans that assume that will automatically happen, and then you get this problem where it doesnt. if say they just announced as time goes on... that i could understand. i know people dont care what i say so its all good, im just saying.

other than money wise.. i dont have a problem against showmasters. i just wish some people wouldnt get so damned preachy about them as if they are all gods. they work to organise, they do their best, and i am grateful, but like i said, they aint gods lol.

Of course everyone's perfectly entitled to their opinion, so the fact that you're getting annoyed that people state their own as a response to yours seems slightly hypocritical, no? What was that about double standards?

I completely understand why people are unhappy with the guest line up, especially those who've splashed out on gold tickets. But it just strikes me as rather rude to complain (for instance about there not being enough to fill up the days) without getting the facts right.

I think Too Tall has said it all.

If any Harry Potter fan wants a good weekend and able to dress up, party, join in organised events amongst other friends then this weekend is the place to be as Jason, Mark and crew always pull out all the stops to make them fun fun fun.

Well, I'm afraid all has not been said and this type of suger-coating is unacceptable.

Sure, it may turn out to be an enjoyable weekend but that's not the point. To say that they've been unable to get the guests they 'hoped' for is a worrying statement. What's to stop me advertising a con and saying "I hope to get guests of a certain calibre. Give me your money now and if I don't get them, well, sorry, we'll have a party instead."

When a statement is issued indicating that there 'will be' guests of a certain calibre, then it's not beyond reason to expect as much. To say at the 11th hour, "well, we hoped to get them but it didn't turn out" makes me wonder how far down the road of contracting guests were SM/ME when the con was announced.

I fully believe that efforts were, and possibly still are being made to get a big HP guest but this is the work that needs to finalised early on so you can then advertise with a strong degree of certainty that the guest/s will be there (I know they can cancel due to work and other commitments, I fully understand that is a pitfall of con organising).

It was the expectation of guests (both supporting and regular cast members) that led the initial announcement, not potions rooms or puppet workshops.

I do see sagarts point, I really do

Since my money has been spent, I'm going to enjoy the weekend and I'm sure despite their screen time etc all the guests will be worth meeting... infact having thought about it look at those that met Robert Pattinson when he was a mere shrimp lol, and now look at him?

Hooray for cloak running

I do see sagarts point, I really do

Since my money has been spent, I'm going to enjoy the weekend and I'm sure despite their screen time etc all the guests will be worth meeting... infact having thought about it look at those that met Robert Pattinson when he was a mere shrimp lol, and now look at him?

Hooray for cloak running

To quote Rob during his first ever talk:

"I have this dream that I'm pregnant, so I'm eating for... er... three... and then I'm crying, and I'm wiping the tears away with a hamburger..."

I wonder if any of this lot will say something silly they can be reminded of when they're big stars! :blink:

What's to stop me advertising a con and saying "I hope to get guests of a certain calibre. Give me your money now and if I don't get them, well, sorry, we'll have a party instead."

Quite possibly nothing if you're upfront about it and your terms and conditions are drawn up appropriately. But since I'm not a lawyer, I'd suggest taking legal advice before you try it. Would you also be worried about leaving people suitably happy enough to indulge in repeat business with you? Could you also handle people accusing you of being all sorts of unpleasant things?

When a statement is issued indicating that there 'will be' guests of a certain calibre, then it's not beyond reason to expect as much.

Can't disagree there. On the other side of the coin, it's probably a fine line between trumpeting the intentions and leaving the qualifications to the smaller print, thus possibly causing disappointment if guests do prove tricky to get, or loading each announcement with so many caveats that you end up needlessly putting off half your potential attendees because you can't give cast-iron guarantees. I would take it that you think they've strayed too far in the direction of the former approach?

To say at the 11th hour, "well, we hoped to get them but it didn't turn out" makes me wonder how far down the road of contracting guests were SM/ME when the con was announced.

I fully believe that efforts were, and possibly still are being made to get a big HP guest but this is the work that needs to finalised early on so you can then advertise with a strong degree of certainty that the guest/s will be there (I know they can cancel due to work and other commitments, I fully understand that is a pitfall of con organising).

And the thing is, you will just have to wonder away. I doubt that most guest negotiations are sworn to secrecy, but it's probably good practise to treat them as such. And indeed, it's probably privileged correspondence subject to "without prejudice" conditions. In other words, it's not the sort of stuff you can flaunt in public. Now supposing ME had 3 biggish guests lined up for this in various states of acceptance when they announced the event, but they all subsequently fell through prior to signing. If they come out and say "we had X Y and Z lined up but they all pulled out", not only do you make X, Y and Z look bad (which won't do your reputation with other potential guests any good), you also had no contractual arrangement with them, so are in a dubious position legally and ethically to say anything about their intended appearance. It's different once they've signed a contract with you, since you then had a legal understanding, but any names disclosed pre-contract smacks of "bait and switch" and dubious advertising.