Photo Shoot Vs Autograph!

adam.anouer

Photo Shoot's or Autographs which do you prefer?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. If given the choice which would you choose?

• Autograph
    • Photograph

Although i'm not really a fan of getting my photo taken i still prefer it over autographs because its visual proof that i met the person and i find myself looking at my photos far more than my autographs to be honest.

I often find that to be the case aswell of course if I get a really special autograph which has a personal message I'll always treasure it and protect it as best I can. It's a memory of not only meeting an amazing person but of making an impression that they cared enough about to add a personal touch.

Photo Shoots I love aswell because you can add them all together and look back on that amazing moment seeing the look on your face of an awesome time. A picture can be worth so much more than 1000 words.

Auto, auto, auto.

I detest the sterile look of an organised photoshoot - I prefer a casual looking pic (and not one of those awkward "leaning over the table" types either - even more tacky). It should look candid and spontaneous, and not scream "Joe Public meeting celebrity". Also, I don't need a photo to "prove" I met a guest. I'm not meeting them for someone else's benefit - I'm meeting them because I'm a fan of them and/or something they have been in. But the main reason it has to be autos is because there is nothing cooler than multi-signed items. A nice movie / trilogy / franchise poster with 30 or 40 signatures on it, all in the same colour of ink. Fantastic !

I thought years ago, if I'm going to fork out lots of money on photoshoots I'm going to try to get a large audience to see them and have some fun along the way.

Collecting auto's is something I still like, but my photo collection will be around long after I've gone.

Wow Talie that is some dedication right there :wub: congratulations getting J.K's Autograph could't have been easy.

I generally go for the Photo because :-) you know you are there smiling with your favourite guest or actor or whoever in this memorable moment which means so much.

Now Autographs don't mean as much to me as they do to a lot of people because generally I don't go collecting or anything like that but if it's someone I really admire or really respect it's absolutely worth it for me and to have even the slightest bit of personalisation would put a smile on anyones face to know their inspiration values what they feel or think of them. :wub:

four days camping in leicster sq in heatwave sun and pouring rain lol

I also snagged alan rickman, julie walters, helena boham carter and imelda staunton amongst 10 others though so it was worth it

Edited by Talie

• 1 month later...

Most definitely if I was given the choice would choose a photograph! It's so personal! I do enjoy the autograph's especially if the guests are quiet as you get a lot of chatting time with them and probably would have gone with that, but the first thing that popped into my head was when I met Maggie Grace and had a photo with her. I was first in the queue and the photographer wasn't ready and we just chatted for a good 15 minutes with our arms round eachother, she was so nervous but was amazing to just have that closeness with someone I never expected to even meet!

Although I suppose if you choose autograph, majority of the time you can have a picture as well if your lucky and it's not crazy busy.

But my vote goes to Photograph! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I detest the sterile look of an organised photoshoot - I prefer a casual looking pic (and not one of those awkward "leaning over the table" types either - even more tacky). It should look candid and spontaneous, and not scream "Joe Public meeting celebrity".
Yes, having seen many on here (and many more on corporate office walls), the archetypal "here's me standing next to somebody famous" picture has no appeal to me. I don't want 100 shots recording that I stood next to 100 famous people for a couple of seconds each - it seems to be a false or bombastic record of such a fleeting moment. And yes, the "leaning over the table" shot generally looks pretty crap to me too. Which tends to limit the events that I go to, since instead of quantity I'm into actually speaking and interacting with people; I'm afraid I'm past the days of "any sig is a good sig" (or the photo equivalent).

Photograph. They can't be faked.
Welcome to our planet. I am sure you have journeyed long and hard for many light years to get here. Please tell us tales of your world - it must be a fascinating place that can invent intergalactic space travel but not have come up with anything like Photoshop... :D

If you have a photo taken with someone but can`t remember their name you can show it people and ask them if they know but if an autograph is just a squiggle and you can`t remember who it is then how can anyone else possibly know.

I started having pictures taken with people after i read a story in a local newspaper about a man who would queue for hours to get a signature but sometimes they were so impossible to decipher people accused him of doing it himself as they were impossible to read and could have been anyone. After that he started collecting photos and had a collection of something like 500+.

I haven`t counted but i must have somewhere between three to five hundred photos, maybe more but it could be less. I keep them in albums using different categories such as:

Autograph Conventions (Any)

Wrestlers (Male)

Wrestlers (Female)

Anyone i met in Derby

Anyone i met in Nottingham (When i used to go there)

Legends

Future Legends

Does anyone else do that or have i just got a bad case of OCD?

• 2 weeks later...

For me there is no clear choice - I love getting photos with people I love BUT hate what I look like in the pictures. Autographs are great BUT I only adore them beyond belief when personalised - my most prized autograph was from Saul Rubinek at Frightfest last year which I paid nothing for but whilst chatting about the show he was bringing to theatres he added to the autograph "Stacey Rocks!".

So really it depends on what is offered to what I prefer, if it's no personalisations I'll prefer a photo. If I look like the creature from the black lagoon - as seems to always be the case in photos - then I'll probably prefer an autograph.

Awkward sod aren't I? :P

• Like 1

Its easy for me to choose.

I can either pay twice for my hubby and I to be in the same photo thus a £20 photo becomes £40 or I can pay £20 for said actors auto, which would I go for, well its easy (putting aside the fact I would get two photo shoot pics when I only need/want one) I choose the cheaper option every time now...

If I was on my own would my choices be different, I'm not and hate thinking about being without my hubby so not going to go there lol

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for me peronaly it just has to be an autograph and a photo with a guest,if I spot that notice on the wall`no posed pictures`I just walk away in disgust,it has happened at least once with Tom Baker,and also with George Takei,and one or two others.

the price of an autograph mattters to,if it is to much,then again I just walk away,I know of some people who are willing to pay but that is their choice their money.

though I did do the Klingon photoshoot in 2010.

some of the americans can be rude and nasty,but by far the nicest guest that I have met so far has to be Katy Manning(classic dr.who Jo Grant),she turned up late and aoplogised to everybody,and could not have been more kind.

there are stories to be told about just about every Milton Keynes event that I have attended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to think that autograph was the way forward but the photoshoot, people cant say its fake. So I used to be just autographs but now im thinking of getting photoshoots of just the extra special place

I used to think that autograph was the way forward but the photoshoot, people cant say its fake. So I used to be just autographs but now im thinking of getting photoshoots of just the extra special place

Unfortunately some people can say that a photo is faked eg photoshopped etc.

It's photos for me!

I love almost all my photo ops and I always try and make them different. About 80% of mine are posed how I wanted.

The only ones that I'm not happy with are ones I had to pay £60+ for to be told no poses...I feel I spent too much money on some certain guests but I won't be doing it again.

On the other hand, I always get my autographs personalised (even got Mr Ackles to personalise) and so I always love them cause they're just for me but I've always preferred photoshoots so if I really did have to choose it'd be photos all the way...unless they are un-posed generic ones.

If you have a photo taken with someone but can`t remember their name you can show it people and ask them if they know but if an autograph is just a squiggle and you can`t remember who it is then how can anyone else possibly know.

I started having pictures taken with people after i read a story in a local newspaper about a man who would queue for hours to get a signature but sometimes they were so impossible to decipher people accused him of doing it himself as they were impossible to read and could have been anyone. After that he started collecting photos and had a collection of something like 500+.

I haven`t counted but i must have somewhere between three to five hundred photos, maybe more but it could be less. I keep them in albums using different categories such as:

Wrestlers (Male)

Wrestlers (Female)

Anyone i met in Derby

Legends

Future Legends

Probably OCD but compared to some other OCD's out there, that is a good one :)

I used to get autographs but I think I might get photoshoots with the bigger stars and have over the table photos with the lesser known guests. At the end of the day both are valueless in the grand scheme of things. Photoshoots are good but cant see em on (if you wanted to) and autographs could be faked and harder to prove they are genuine. So I am thinking of moving towards photoshoots rather then autographs but i would still get both but watch what i spend.

Wrestlers (Male)

Wrestlers (Female)

Anyone i met in Derby

Legends

Future Legends

Probably OCD but compared to some other OCD's out there, that is a good one :)

I used to get autographs but I think I might get photoshoots with the bigger stars and have over the table photos with the lesser known guests. At the end of the day both are valueless in the grand scheme of things. Photoshoots are good but cant see em on (if you wanted to) and autographs could be faked and harder to prove they are genuine. So I am thinking of moving towards photoshoots rather then autographs but i would still get both but watch what i spend.

Actually I have a dedicated Photo Album myself and not only do I only handle my pictures with Latex Gloves (Thank's to SM for Tip) I also keep the very ticket for that shoot behind the picture and just incase had all of them scanned so I can keep all the awesome memories.

I was never this sentimental about anything until SM Events and I try to keep some sort of momento for everything whether it's an Event, A Show or Even just a trip...and I'm okay with it.