Would there be a 2nd Sherlocked event?

_ItsWilliam_

Sadly I'm seeing a lot of negative comments on social media (particularly Tumblr) ... mostly from people who either weren't there ("too expensive for the majority of fans") or people who had day or weekend tickets and felt there wasn't enough there to do if you weren't paying for talks, photos or autographs. I'm not sure what they expected. If they'd (to paraphrase a certain character ;) ) "Done their research", they would have seen that the main focus of the event was the guests.

I did point out to some that there were some guests signing for free and that there were free talks as well.

I didn't really have much time to do anything else in between the talks, photos and the couple of autographs I wanted, but I did get the "Watson" exhibt (which was a little disappointing given how much of a promo it was given) and the "Props/costume" thing done on the Friday preview, along with most of the merch I wanted.

Maybe if there is a second UK con, there needs to be a little more on offer for those just paying general entry and without the budget to spend on meeting guests.

• Like 2

I sat down next to a bit of a weird chap for the screening who was essentially saying the same thing and more. He was saying that he was here to see what else was on offer and saying to me that SM were putting the whole thing on as a money scam and were fleecing us ect, because there weren't enough additional activities. He didn't want to listen to me when I tried to explain it and even told him we were really lucky with this event - we had the main production crew and Arwel and Danny. As far as I can recall it's pretty rare to get to see the people involved with that side of the show and I really appreciate them being there this weekend. He didn't even seem particularly interested in either Sherlock or the actors individualy so I've no idea why he was there. He went off on a rant about Ben's privilaged background and how his life and career was essentially handed to him on a plate. Strange chap......

Expense wise, yes it was a lot, however it was mostly upfront about the costs (I'm not including all the additional photo shoots that were added later), we knew what the tickets and talks cost and what they included. Unfortunately this is NOT a cheap hobby anymore and you have to expect that it's not going to be cheap.

Whilst I freely admit Ben was the main draw I still would have gone with out him and was just as excited to finally get to meet the whole crew, but particularly Mark and Stephen.

• Like 2

I had a creepo that was an ass to Benedict right before I got my photo.

Whouldn't of shocked me if it was the same freak.

Seriously? and to his face? if so then its a wonder a crew member didn't kick him out the hall if it was up to me I'd kick him out without hesitations
Why be in a queue for a photo with a guest when your just going to be an ass to them? and you wonder why some guests don't attend cons pfft some people..
Anyway I was wondering if there was going to be a 2nd Sherlock con then wouldn't they of announced that there would be another by now? I mean they have just been with the company that probably have the go ahead with these things right? so surely they will know if there will be another or not unless the next one isn't going to be official which might suck if that's the case as it may lead to lesser quality of guests? its been a week since the event now and all SM have been posting is stuff about LFCC I know they are probably busy and it has just been 1 week just meh I'm probably getting too impatient xD
Sorry if this seems wrong or something lol its midnight here near enough and I'm sleepy lol I'd love another UK Sherlocked con though!
Edited by Sassy1988

There's a lot of work that comes after these shows (don't forget there were two events last week) so I wouldn't read too much into there being no announcements about a second event yet. If memory serves, there wasn't an immediate announcement about Destination Star Trek after the previous one finished. Also worth bearing in mind they did talk about a U.S. Event as well, I'm assuming that will come before any other UK ones.

That said, wouldn't be averse to an announcement that there will be another UK one though!

I had a creepo that was an ass to Benedict right before I got my photo.

Whouldn't of shocked me if it was the same freak.

I did hear that something happened in his afternoon photoshoot, that must of been it. I really don't know why they bothered to come when they clearly had no interest in the guests or the show.

Anyway I was wondering if there was going to be a 2nd Sherlock con then wouldn't they of announced that there would be another by now? I mean they have just been with the company that probably have the go ahead with these things right? so surely they will know if there will be another or not unless the next one isn't going to be official which might suck if that's the case as it may lead to lesser quality of guests? its been a week since the event now and all SM have been posting is stuff about LFCC I know they are probably busy and it has just been 1 week just meh I'm probably getting too impatient xD
Sorry if this seems wrong or something lol its midnight here near enough and I'm sleepy lol I'd love another UK Sherlocked con though!

They are concentrating on catching up with the other events. Even though they are a while off they will have loads of emails to go through considering the amount they had to deal with for Sherlocked and they are going to have been receiving loads as a result of announcing MJF. There have been rumours that they are considering putting on another but we can only tell you that they will announce it when the can and not before.

For there to be a third, (second one in the UK/Europe after the US one) Sherlock event. I would say they would want to get either Ben or Martin interested in doing it. Because they would be the only two people who would draw the crowds to it. Hopefully get the dates sorted out before announcing it. But maybe before doing that, they are planning to have a meeting with Hartswood films to dissect the first Sherlock event, and discuss the possibility of running another one and how it could be improved in the future.

I know that for a lot of us, if SM/ME cannot get Ben or Martin. The likes of Rupert, Andrew, Louise would draw a lot of us who attended Sherlock, and hopefully they could consider running a smaller event within a hotel. Which would be more inmate setting in my view and experience.

cap

The likes of Cumberbatch are always going to draw the big crowds and if there was to be another event my first preference would be another big event with one of then there (I still don't really see Freeman ever doing one though) but if it was a choice between a smaller hotel based event or nothing then I'd certainly prefer that.

I think it would be unlikely that Martin (and Amanda) would attend an event like this. He stated in a few interviews a while back that he doesn't agree with fans being asked to pay for his autograph or photo. :(

Whilst I understand that stance, it's events like this that often the only way to meet a star you admire. I personally would not feel right approaching him (or any other celeb) when he's not working if I happened to spot him in a restaurant or just out and about. We waited at stage door last year when he was doing Richard III but we chose the night that Moffatt came to the show and it seems they were ushered out another way to go to a bar instead of coming out.

I'd be happy to do a smaller, less frantic and more intimate event if the likes of Andrew, Louise, Rupert etc were there.

• Like 1

I sat down next to a bit of a weird chap for the screening who was essentially saying the same thing and more. He was saying that he was here to see what else was on offer and saying to me that SM were putting the whole thing on as a money scam and were fleecing us ect, because there weren't enough additional activities. He didn't want to listen to me when I tried to explain it and even told him we were really lucky with this event - we had the main production crew and Arwel and Danny. As far as I can recall it's pretty rare to get to see the people involved with that side of the show and I really appreciate them being there this weekend. He didn't even seem particularly interested in either Sherlock or the actors individualy so I've no idea why he was there. He went off on a rant about Ben's privilaged background and how his life and career was essentially handed to him on a plate. Strange chap......

Ah jeez, I think I was sitting right behind you and that chap during the screening, and I heard him say about 73 times "My point is…" and all I could think was ´my that guy likes to hear himself talking`, going on and on about "Oh Ben had so much help in his life with his parents being actors and his privileged background…" as if that would diminish BC's extraordinary talent or anything. Ah well, to each their own, but this really makes you wonder why he was there in the first place… Poor you! :)

Anyway, I enjoyed every minute of Sherlocked, but I must admit it was also rather exhausting…;-) And yes, I'd love to see Ben and Marting together on stage somewhere down the road, so yay for a second con which Martin would be willing to attend. :)

Edited by Pengwing

Ah jeez, I think I was sitting right behind you and that chap during the screening, and I heard him say about 73 times "My point is…" and all I could think was ´my that guy likes to hear himself talking`, going on and on about "Oh Ben had so much help in his life with his parents being actors and his privileged background…" as if that would diminish BC's extraordinary talent or anything. Ah well, to each their own, but this really makes you wonder why he was there in the first place… Poor you! :)

Yes! That was him! I was too polite to ask him to shut up and initially he seemed OK so I was happy to talk to him, it took him a short while to get really ranty and weird. He gave me his business card to look at the evidence on his website - it went straight in the bin.

• Like 1

Maybe it was Benedict on the grassy knoll wearing a top hat and monocle or something!

I am seeing this post 100% out of context and it made my day.

Edit: Even better with context.

Edited by MildGrooveOn
  • Like 1

Thank goodness he's the anomaly... luckily havn't bumped into one person that acted like they didn't want to be there. Everyone is always so nice and happy to meet the guests... It's not like he could have possibly got BC's name mixed up and thought he was at a different convention of something like that...

• Like 1