anyone see the sun today?

timelord81r

A 2 page spread on how expensive and bad collectormania london was, berating the guests as unknowns and showmasters and the guests worse than bankers for charging fans and that things were sold out when they got in.

idiots, thats what the online store is for, and of course we have to pay, we would all love it to be completly free but lol, what world are the sun living in?

still its publicitry none the less but they obviously have no idea how the event works or how the fans feel.

this was a brilliant event with great guests!!!!!! the sun are idiots

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be very interested in reading this if anyone's willing to scan it in. I'm not paying for it, and I can't find it on their website beyond a banner suggesting I buy the paper.
If I get chance I will grab a copy at lunchtime and scan it in.

Interesting point. It could have been considered for the paper earlier in the week and there was no room or they decided not to bother (it was the "dead donkey" that got dropped) but friday's papers tend to be more entertainment heavy, and they would argue that it's better reading towards the weekend.

Although I take your point that there are enough wheels-within wheels for this to be the old school tie saying "don't f*ck with the phonejacker".

I imagine, without meaning to generalise, most people who read The Sun aren't people who would ever dream of attending conventions anyway (sneer at and mock them, though, yes), so I can't imagine any business will be lost or any harm done to SM because of one article in this pathetic rag.

The Sun isn't worthy enough to line my cat's litter tray, let alone to be ever taken remotely seriously.

Definitely nothing to lose sleep over.

Perhaps another consideration is I understand Showmasters have taken out paid advertisments in the s*n before now (maybe even for the CM London show).

Perhaps SM will consider not paying for advertising space in that rag in future if this is the sort of coverage they are going to recieve.

I imagine, without meaning to generalise, most people who read The Sun aren't people who would ever dream of attending conventions anyway (sneer at and mock them, though, yes), so I can't imagine any business will be lost or any harm done to SM because of one article in this pathetic rag.

The Sun isn't worthy enough to line my cat's litter tray, let alone to be ever taken remotely seriously.

Definitely nothing to lose sleep over.

Totally agree! I've not read it (because I really, really won't buy, read or touch the Sun if I have to), but most of the readership won't be thinking of Cons, other than to go 'Look at these sad ppl, they really think they are something special with their 'sci-fi'. They are just nerds'

*giggle* They fail to realise that the g33k shall inherit the earth *giggle*

theres usually a copy of the sun at work so I'm gonna have to read the article if its there!

I agree with you all though, the people reading it will see us all as nerds but frankly who cares? I love being a nerd if it means meeting my fave actors and actresses =D

• Moderators

Considering the celebrity culture surrounded newspapers like The Sun, it's probably more likely to get a few people thinking "wow, I could actually meet .." than "why would anyone want to do this?!" ..

Did they not do something similar with Music Mania or some event?

I think the basic thing is if you aren't in the club, you just won't see the appeal of paying for autographs. It is a niche market the masses have no interest in understanding. It's no coincidence the guests are made up of certain genres - they are also niche markets. All of which can be looked down upon as 'sad', easy to mock. Someone I work with likes sci-fi, but thinks I'm nuts paying for autographs - and that's from actors he's heard of. (I'd get the Star Wars tea lady if I could!) real life astronauts £100 a time, he understands.

I dare say the effect is amplified in London, many a 'celebrity' will sign for free at a theatre, premiere what have you.

Still you have to see the irony of worrying about misrepresentation from one individual, to only then be stabbed in the back by the invited press. I doubt it somehow.

Live by the sword die by the sword. Be happy with what you have rather than trying to be bigger and better than before by seeking the free publicity of the masses. Good and bad.

Although I take your point that there are enough wheels-within wheels for this to be the old school tie saying "don't f*ck with the phonejacker".

Well yes I did think the idea of getting into a public slanging match with an actor, a production company and a TV company could do more harm to relations than the incident itself. If they are your source of income.

I can understand people worrying on guests' behalf (past and future), but I'd hope that guests would look at where it was published and, like me, go 'pfft'.

They get paid, I doubt they care in that way. But even in the other thread there were people who didn't want to be seen on TV, as if attending an event is something to be ashamed of. I'm not ashamed to attend(past caring) but I wouldn't want certain people knowing how much the things cost me. They'd disown me

all IMO

They kicked the sh12 out of MusicMania - to be fair though, even SM accept that this was a bad idea. They had a few decent guests, but an event full of ex-boyband members and the like was never going to get praise heaped on it in the press.

In terms of entertainment stories, tabloids only care (perhaps understandably) about what's hot NOW. I wouldn't mind, but the Music Mania guests were probably all over their pages a few years earlier. Entertainment is a fickle industry - we don't see it because most of us on this forum and who attend the events are much more into pop culture than the "general" public.

I wouldn't bother with what it says, its to written to get a reaction. This David Lowe has to be a fan who must of had a bad experience. perhaps he expected a chat with Barrowman while 100's of people waited behind him, I don't know!

Seems strange as Autographica got a good review. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/featu...not-Waynes.html

Edited by cyberdrunk

Read the article, and what a load of codswollop (please feel free to enter your own word) I'm tempted to email the writer and tell him to try talking to some of us fans who have been going to Collectormania since the beginning. I've made some awesome friends through conventions and met some amazing stars. Yeah sometimes I have felt alittle miffed when I pay my £15 for my auto and don't even get a hello but at the end of the day the guests are there to do a job and yes that is sometimes to get through as many fans as possible, personally I'd rather meet a guest and just get to say hi (even if I don't get a response) rather then not have the chance to meet them at all because the guest talks to each person for 5 mins.

Edited by naurarwen_fangorn

people are going to have fun at this kind of event, and people aren't.

it just so happened that one person who didn't also wrote for the Sun, doesn't mean that the people who didn't enjoy out weigh the people who did.

i completely disagree with him calling some guests no-namer's or whatever phrase he used as thats someone's career and life he's insulting.

he's clearly just bitter as JB didn't talk to him as much as he liked, get over it.