Thoughts on Saturday

18blue78

I was there with my 9-year old son, he didn't get his goody-bag either!

Unfortunately, I realised that when I came back to Clacton, slightly too late :WINCE: The good thing is that my son didn't know anything about it, otherwise the journey back in the car would have been a very long one. He made us stop at the Ipswich roundabout to get to Toys'r'us, though - after spending so much money on autographs and photos we felt obliged to clean our conscience with a small Lego set. :angel: The set? The shuttle with astronauts, of course.

I was there on the Sunday with my rather feisty not quite three granddaughter. I figured that she wouldn't get many more chances, if at all, of meeting anyone who had walked on the Moon so I took the chance and brought her. She was a little wary of Charlie Duke but warmed to him (and him to her), took Dick Gordon in her stride and gave Donald Thomas not just a hug but shared a high five, a respect fist and a hand shake. When my stepdaughter passed his table a bit later, he asked where my granddaughter had got to (back in the car refueling was the answer). I'm not sure I'd recommend the event as one to bring a toddler to but she loved it and she has a few memories and photos for her future.

At preschool on Monday they asked the children what they had done at the weekend. My granddaughter said she met a man in a space ship and the adults thought she might be a bit barmy until it was explained that she had happened to meet a whole bunch of men who had been in spaceships.

PS As a veteran of about six Autographicas (not as veteran as some, I know), I was impressed by the organisation and although it was probably as busy as the first I attended in 2007, I didn't feel so hemmed in and felt I had time for a chat (and of course the odd fist pump). Thank you to all those who made it such a memorable event - organisers, volunteers, traders and, last but not least, guests.

• Like 1

My first Autographica and a really good experience. Only went for the Space:1999 guests plus Robert Powell, and only have good things to say about the lot of them; although I'd agree Robert Powell wasn't the greatest he was okay, and remembered me later in the photoshoot which was nice.

The 1999ers though - wow. Martin Landau was such a nice man, a real gentleman as others have said, but all of them were just great and it's wonderful to have finally had a show where 1999 was the main sci-fi focus. As much as I wanted it to happen I never expected to see the likes of John Hug and Sam Dastor at an event so this was a real dream come true, and they couldn't have been nicer.

It would probably take something pretty special (like the 1999 reunion) to get me to another Autographica, but that's more to do with how much the journey cost me and isn't a reflection on the event itself. If only all the shows were that straightforward. Only real negative was occasionally approaching a guest but then seeing a dealer present them with a stack of about fifty things to be signed, or seeing a dealer decimating a guest's photo selection leaving almost nothing left. Can't all that be done seperately somewhere else?

I got the actors' signatures on a special artwork I made myself (I got envious of kinggodzillak photoshop compositions and I had to do something about it!)

Oh, I was feeling pretty envious of yours, they're vastly superior to mine! I was the guy with the all-9 cast print, BTW.

nearly all actors congratulated me for my artworks and some asked for a copy! Unfortunately, I had one print only with me, I couldn't imagine they would have been so successful.

It's always great when that happens, isn't it? I didn't get that this time but it was nice to have the chance to thank them all for replying to me through the post.

• Like 1

I remember you Kinggodzillak, nice to have met you. Thank you for your kind opinion, I value it a lot; after all, I just expanded on your good idea of putting together moonbase, logo and actors in different poses. I had seen on the other forum some of the handwritten letters you got from the actors: really something to cherish.

Edited by Bergman

I flew over to Autographica on Saturday from Ireland, what can I say other than it was a fantastic event! :clap:

It was only my 3rd Autographica, but they get better and better every time. Congratulations to Dave and all the organisers for another fantastic show.

Only got an autograph from Dick Gordon, as my main aim was to get speaking to each of the Apollo astronauts personally - I'm currently the

Space Sciences writer for my college newspaper (University College Dublin's 'University Observer').

I found Ed Mitchell to be very accommodating with his time, a lovely man & his Saturday lecture was brilliant also. Charlie Duke & Dick Gordon were true gents as expected. (Gordon's Saturday lecture was also intriguing). Buzz was a bit harder to get to know but I think he warmed to me and vice versa, a nice man with a lot of brilliant ideas for the future of manned space exploration!

I did the Ed, Charlie, Dick & Buzz photoshoots and they all came out brilliantly - the organisation was top notch and the new speedy system of having them ready for collection immediately was absolutely fantastic.

All in all, a superb event - once again the Hilton venue in Birmingham was 1st class. Can't wait for Autographica 19 next year. I sincerely hope Dave & co can continue to bring over the Apollo guys - I know they aren't getting any younger but that's exactly why we should get them over while they're still with us. Heard rumours of Gene Cernan being a favourite to come over next time out, if that's true it would be fantastic, he would be extremely popular. Would also love to see back: Dave Scott, Alan Bean, Walt Cunningham and Rusty Schweickart - and Gene Kranz would also be a huge coup.

(Photos from last weekend to follow soon.)

Regards, Shane. :thumbup:

As far as I am concerned I had a great time on Sunday too. All Space1999 guests were very nice and was surprised to see that Alibe Parsons spoke Italian (for me it is always a plus). I got the actors' signatures on a special artwork I made myself (I got envious of kinggodzillak photoshop compositions and I had to do something about it!); nearly all actors congratulated me for my artworks and some asked for a copy! Unfortunately, I had one print only with me, I couldn't imagine they would have been so successful. However, Sylvia Anderson insisted she wanted a copy and asked her agents to share contact details because she would like to display it in her office! Now, that made my day (or year, possibly).

Special hello to the guy from Singapore whom I met at Alibe's desk.

Second special hello to the ubiquitous Michelle who remembered my name.

Third special hello to the lady in charge of Suzanne and Anton on Saturday and Sarah and John on Sunday.

Giuseppe.

I remember you! I seem to remember getting the language completely wrong, and then chatting to Sam and letting you and Alibe get on with it. Glad you had a good time!