Thoughts on Saturday

18blue78

Having now had an evening to recover from the show (God alone knows how Dave, Jason and Paul as well as the crew, dealers etc must feel after one of these weekends!) I can say this was a fantastic weekend, certainly up there with some of the best Autographica events I have been to.

Although it was a lot busier than it has been in previous years, the guests were all very relaxed and friendly and still seemed to make time for everyone, even Buzz who can be a bit hit and miss seemed a lot better than last time he was over (I'm not getting into the debate about his signing fees, I was charged what I expected so can't really comment on what may or may not have happened for others). It was really good to see the crowds come out for the Apollo astronauts, I couldn't believe the size of the photo queue for Buzz on Saturday afternoon. i don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that at Autographica.

In the end I was quite glad the photo backdrop wasn't used for the astronaut pictures. i initially liked the sound of it when it was first announced but the more I thought of it the more it dawned on me that they were going to look very inconsistent with all my other astronaut pictures, especially the group one from last year. As Timelord also said I wore a black jumper on the day which might have looked a bit odd against the black background so I can't say I was sorry it wasn't used in the end. I would probably also agree with Timelord's comment about the photo composition. My Dick Gordon picture came out just about OK as although I am taller than Dick Gordon I'm certainly not in Timelords league so I could see how someone taller could have had a problem. On the other side though the instant photo printing was excellent, I thought I was going to have pangs of nostalgia for the coming back at the end to the table full of pictures (which is never the scramble that it can be at other shows) but it was really good to be able to walk away with the photo there and then, especially for the later ones on Sunday when normally I would have had to leave without it. Also the lady manning the photo printing was very good at letting me go back in line when she noticed I had blinked during my Dick Gordon shoot on Saturday.

The talks as always were great value. I enjoyed Edgar Mitchell's more this year than last as I tend to prefer a talk to a Q&A session, it sounded like he had different topics for the two different days as well which was good. not sure what he talked about on Saturday but Sunday's was very interesting. Dick Gordon and Charlie Duke were both excellent as well. I was only sorry to have had to miss Don Thomas and Bob Springer's talks as time just got away from me in the end.

All in all an excellent weekend and my thanks to Dave, Jason, Paul and the crew for putting on such a fantastic weekend and, although I'm sure it's the last thing they want to think about now, roll on 2013!

• Like 1

The lady managing the photoshoot queues deserves special mention. I saw her look after a man on crutches who couldn't queue. Lovely.

Trust me; I'm no Lady, I just know that everyone needs looking after in different ways and, being a fan myself, this sort of care can make anyone's attendance worthwhile. My Mum and Dad have always instilled good ethics in me, and my day-to-day motto is "The difference between ordinary nd extraordinary is just that little 'extra'" - I just hope I can do as well with my daughter!

I couldn't believe the size of the photo queue for Buzz on Saturday afternoon. i don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that at Autographica.

Also the lady manning the photo printing was very good at letting me go back in line when she noticed I had blinked during my Dick Gordon shoot on Saturday.

The Buzz queue - I nearly effing died, honestly! I couldn't believe it! My Facebook status for it was "Photo for Buzz Aldrin? Yes, kindly go out of the hotel lobby into the car park, turn right and join the back of the queue there to then re-enter through the spa"

Photo printing - That was Claire, she has an exceptional eye for detail!

Jody xxx

• Like 1

ive only been able to make 3 autographcas, and i love them, im so thankful to dave and jason for the opportunity to meet any space guests esp the apollo guys.

please keep bringing them back, Im really hoping for some more apollo guys at the next show, next year are we having 1 show or 2?

ive only been able to make 3 autographcas, and i love them, im so thankful to dave and jason for the opportunity to meet any space guests esp the apollo guys.

please keep bringing them back, Im really hoping for some more apollo guys at the next show, next year are we having 1 show or 2?

I was actually looking in the Upcoming Events section for the next Autographica but there is no mention of it. Is it going to happen?

Second special hello to the ubiquitous Michelle who remembered my name.

Giuseppe.

You're more than welcome, Giuseppe.

Although it is made easier when there's only one person by that name ;)

Michelle

A little advantage of living in UK. In Italy, this is one of the most common names...

Hiya! Only attended Autographica on Sunday and I was very impressed by the organisation of the event, all staff were very helpful and a special mention to the team who were doing the photoshoots Sunday. Well done! I think it was a great venue, hassle free and easy to get to. It was my first Autographica and a completely different pace to LFCC and Collectormania. Martin Landau was my favourite guest by far. Thanks Showmasters.

Hi,and well done to everyone involved in this years Autographica,just 2 downer's regarding Sunday,having paid£10 for entrance(wristband)it was not once required to be shown,and that also includes 2 photoshoots(where on this forum you state'entance ticket required)and Mr Robert Powell,who quite frankly had no interest in meeting his fans(i asked for drawing i did of him as Jesus,when Jesus of Nazareth premiered in 1977,if he could sign)and proceeded to'diss'the drawing,saying it looked nothing like him.(anyone feel distinctly'icy'at meeting him?Tried not to let this ruin the day,and Martin Landau,was the nicest guy you could meet(take note RP)

They mentioned at the dinner on Saturday evening that they're definitely hoping to do another one next year.

i hope they do, i dont know what id do without autographica, please dont stop, perhaps if its loosing money, run it beside an EMS or LFCC? i know that would be tough work and busy for both us and you but please its better than no more autographica

hoping it continues as norm

Hi,and well done to everyone involved in this years Autographica,just 2 downer's regarding Sunday,having paid£10 for entrance(wristband)it was not once required to be shown,and that also includes 2 photoshoots(where on this forum you state'entance ticket required)and Mr Robert Powell,who quite frankly had no interest in meeting his fans(i asked for drawing i did of him as Jesus,when Jesus of Nazareth premiered in 1977,if he could sign)and proceeded to'diss'the drawing,saying it looked nothing like him.(anyone feel distinctly'icy'at meeting him?Tried not to let this ruin the day,and Martin Landau,was the nicest guy you could meet(take note RP)

I agree that Robert Powell wasn't probably the chattiest guest in the room; I had noticed that queues of 5-6 people vanished in seconds. However, I had a slightly different experience: I asked about the fact that he never blinked in Jesus was his idea or Zeffirelli's and he explained that this is a natural trick for actors but with Jesus was a bit extended. We also commented on the fact that his eyes on the dvd cover had been coloured with extra blue. He has been very kind to pose for a couple of pictures with my wife. I can't complain at all but it is true that some guests need to be triggered and if questions are asked they will answer. Others will want to know your name, where you are from or what job you do etc. and make the conversation more relaxed and memorable. I always have a question prepared to ask so to avoid empty moments. With some Space actors I didn't even have time to ask as they were so prone to chat about everything. It depends on the person's character, I suppose. Probably Robert's comments on your drawing could have been more appreciative of your effort, regardless if that was a masterpiece or not.

I agree that Robert Powell wasn't probably the chattiest guest in the room; I had noticed that queues of 5-6 people vanished in seconds. However, I had a slightly different experience: I asked about the fact that he never blinked in Jesus was his idea or Zeffirelli's and he explained that this is a natural trick for actors but with Jesus was a bit extended. We also commented on the fact that his eyes on the dvd cover had been coloured with extra blue. He has been very kind to pose for a couple of pictures with my wife. I can't complain at all but it is true that some guests need to be triggered and if questions are asked they will answer. Others will want to know your name, where you are from or what job you do etc. and make the conversation more relaxed and memorable. I always have a question prepared to ask so to avoid empty moments. With some Space actors I didn't even have time to ask as they were so prone to chat about everything. It depends on the person's character, I suppose. Probably Robert's comments on your drawing could have been more appreciative of your effort, regardless if that was a masterpiece or not.

He wasn't the chattiest of guests, that's true. That was probably due, at least in part, to the fact that he was tired. He'd been on stage until late the night before and had then had to get up early to get to Autographica on the Sunday. I was sat at the side of him all day while I was assisting Catherine Schell and didn't notice him being particularly unpleasant with anyone. I actually found him to be quite pleasant, If anyone did had a bad experience with him, they probably just caught him at a bad moment.

Funny, I found Robert Powell to be OK, won't pretend he was my new best friend or anything but he was polite and took his time over signing my photo making sure it was done in the right place etc. He also seemed to show interest when he was presented with slightly more different items for signing as well.

I did hear him say though that when he agreed to do the show he hadn't known he was going to be in a play at the same time which I think supports what dwarfbabe had said. To be fair to him though he could just as easily have cancelled as I suspect a lot would have done under the same circumstances.

I really enjoyed today's show. It was fantastic meeting a legend like Martin Landau - a really nice guy who seemed to be enjoying himself. I also met Catherine Schell and Corinne Clery - both really friendly. It was lovely to go to an event without horrendous queues and it seemed very relaxed. The crew members were enthusiastic and friendly. Only quibble - did a lot of people get in for free? There was no-one checking passes on the door and my wristband was only asked for one.

Thanks a lot guys for a great day - looking forward to next time!

Hi

I was taking cash for Martin Landau and can say that we were checking for tickets and wrist bands, but many of us 'old' :angel: crew know a lot of you from the various shows over a few years and/or saw you in the wine reception etc, so wouldn't have always asked, especially first thing.

Both Ally (doing cash for Richard Gordon) and I asked a lot of people and made several leave the queue and go out to the registration desk to buy entrance tickets during the day. There may have been some that slipped by, but we were looking!

Kirstie :smile:

I was pleased by the attendance. It was busy, but still had that relaxed feel about it.

I thought that it proved that if you put together a great line-up, people will come!. Well done all those involved.

I hope the momentum continues to the next event, and hopefully we can then consider going back to two show a year!. They have to be more lucrative and rewarding than a few hundred at those weekend events?.

Overall, I had a great time at the show and all the guests were lovely. I am surprised by some comments about Robert Powell, as he was really nice with me and asked me about my Asphyx DVD.

I think the only down sides to the event were not major faults, just little things that disappointed me somewhat. Not having the Space 1999 photo on the replica set and not having Sylvia taking part was a bit of a shame, after all the positive comments asking for this prior to the show. Similarly, not having Buzz against the special backdrop and without his NASA jacket & hlemet (as photographed on the website) was a bit disappointing, but the end result was no worse than any other photo session I've had. I think the website just created a picture in me head of what the finished result would look like, and that was the deciding factor when I went ahead and bought one. Still happy with the photo, but it's not quite as unique as I'd imagined.

The one other point was the fact that no tickets were checked on entry. I saw loads of Twilight attendees wandering around, and it left a bit of a taste in my mouth after paying for a weekend pass. It's been the same the last 2 or 3 times at Autographica. The show has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, but I feel that this aspect needs to be a bit more strict. The entry ticket is for overall entry, not just photo sessions, so not really fair that people can wander in (even if it's just to buy from the stalls).

Its a funny thing but I had the reverse feeling about people from the Twilight event coming in. under normal circumstances I don't really like the idea of people who haven't paid for something taking advantage, i.e. if a person who just happened to be staying at the hotel just wanders in then I would say that is wrong because they are taking advantage of something that they have contributed nothing towards. However, in this case I'm assuming all the Twilight people that came in will have paid for tickets to their own event and so at least they have already put a reasonable chunk of cash into the Showmasters coffers so to my mind its not like they are getting away with paying nothing. I'm sure I've seen Jason say on here before that the profits Showmasters make from the larger scale more populist events often help financially support the less profitable shows like Autographica. Taking that into account I'm not sure I can find it in my heart to begrudge some of them the opportunity to have a wander round the show as well!

And lets be frank most of the Twilight show attendees were a damned sight more attractive than most of us punters for Autoraphica!

• Moderators

Well that's a question that only the organisers can answer. I just know that as a crew member we were told at our morning briefing that they had permission to come into the event/buy autographs etc. if they wished.

And lets be frank most of the Twilight show attendees were a damned sight more attractive than most of us punters for Autoraphica!

Yes, and I also noticed that the average age was much higher than other Showmasters events! My son was probably the only child (9) around. However, the day was so hectic that we even forgot to claim his surprise. :crying: