Paul Gascoigne

Andy81

Firstly I would like to say that I do not blame showmasters at all for this. Paul Gascoigne was a absolute disgrace today. Not only charging £45.00 for a item but when I got there this morning I was told that he was refusing to sign shirts. Then after the photo shoot with no warning he gets up says he was leaving and was gone by 2pm. Cannot believe it. We all know what Gazza is like but this was just out of order. The 66 guys on the other hand were fantastic as usual and really pleasant and genuinely thanked people for coming to see them. Gazza could learn a thing or to from them. What were other people's experiences with Gazza today?

I was pleased to have met him and got his autograph, despite it all he was at times an amazing footballer and for someone of my age he was something quite new when he burst on the scene.

However, he was clearly not at his best today, I met him this morning and although he was just about polite he was clearly not in the right frame of mind to be at a public event. The no signing of shirts was frankly bizarre as if nothing else he would have earned more money from signing them (I assume).

The sad thing is, every time I see him on TV looking more healthy and sounding better I think he's turned a corner in his life but seeing him today I wonder if that will ever really happen for him. It's clear the man has his demons, I just hope for his sake he can conquer them one day before its too late.

I wasn't there today so I don't have information to pass on, sorry. Was any reason given for his early departure? If not, is it possible that he was called away due to a emergency/problem/etc? I'm just trying to point out that it is very easy to jump to a conclusion without being aware of all the facts. It may be better to wait until after the event when ME have a chance clarify as to the reasons before passing judgement on a guest.

As I mentioned here a guest has the right to refuse to sign items. I have to admit though that I would have thought a shirt would be a 'given' item that would be okay.

I wasn't there today so I don't have information to pass on, sorry. Was any reason given for his early departure? If not, is it possible that he was called away due to a emergency/problem/etc? I'm just trying to point out that it is very easy to jump to a conclusion without being aware of all the facts. It may be better to wait until after the event when ME have a chance clarify as to the reasons before passing judgement on a guest.

As I mentioned here a guest has the right to refuse to sign items. I have to admit though that I would have thought a shirt would be a 'given' item that would be okay.

I think with Paul you have to expect the unexpected. I was surprised he was there at all to be honest and the fact his area was sectioned off told a story all of its own. Clearly Paul is still in a difficult place and whereas I don't want to state that this was the reason for his early departure or decision not to sign shirts, I think it was a brave decision to ask him and possibly a braver one for Paul to accept given his recent issues.

I spoke to the crew member who was taking the money for Gazza and she told me that with no warning he said he was leaving. You could see on her face that the poor lady had a very stressful time dealing with Gazza and other crew members were hugging her and asking if she was alright. After only signing for around 20 minutes he got up and left to buy a coffee. George Cohen was on crutches and had he leg up on a chair yet he was still signing late into the afternoon. I know you do not know what to expect from Gazza but he let alot of fans down today.

They say it's always diasppointing to meet your heroes don't they... however

Given the press and everything over these last few years I wen't in with a frame of mind that wasn't expecting anything. He didn't seem on the best form but was polite enough to me and showed interest in the book I asked him to sign.

Admittedly the no signing shirts rule seemed a bit bizarre.

Alot of money perhaps, but to me an oppotunity not be missed, and a photo I will treasure.

Feel sorry for those who left with negative experiences.

They say it's always diasppointing to meet your heroes don't they... however

Given the press and everything over these last few years I wen't in with a frame of mind that wasn't expecting anything. He didn't seem on the best form but was polite enough to me and showed interest in the book I asked him to sign.

Admittedly the no signing shirts rule seemed a bit bizarre.Alot of money perhaps, but to me an oppotunity not be missed, and a photo I will treasure.

Feel sorry for those who left with negative experiences.

I wouldn't say it was bizarre. It seems reasonable.

Some football players don't like signing footballs or football boots.

It's totally their decision and their choice to opt out from signing an item.

• Moderators

I can understand the disappointment if they were not informed beforehand. In this case, it doesn't seem to have been discussed prior to the event, or no doubt it would have been put on here to minimise such problems.

Totally disagree.

On the streets or outside football stadiums maybe because those things probably make their way to ebay, so footballers are wary of this.

But at a official appearance at a signing event, it's very strange.

I have to agree with David, it;s a shame this wasnt communicated beforehand, as provided something isn't controversial and is relevant to a guest, then heir fans would expect to get it signed at an event like this.

Hats off his showmasters assistant for putting up with all the flak which must of come her way.

Totally disagree.

On the streets or outside football stadiums maybe because those things probably make their way to ebay, so footballers are wary of this.

I have to agree with David, it;s a shame this wasnt communicated beforehand, as provided something isn't controversial and is relevant to a guest, then heir fans would expect to get it signed at an event like this.

Hats off his showmasters assistant for putting up with all the flak which must of come her way.

The decision to not sign shirts was made by Paul Gascoigne on the day. We have to respect that decision rather than complaining about it by starting a thread in this forum.

Showmaster isn't going to attract the big name celebrities or sports stars if they read about forum members complaining about how they do things.

Totally disagree.

The decision to not sign shirts was made by Paul Gascoigne on the day. We have to respect that decision rather than complaining about it by starting a thread in this forum.

Showmaster isn't going to attract the big name celebrities or sports stars if they read about forum members complaining about how they do things.

I didnt start this thread and the purpose of a forum is to air your opinions (within the rules) and everyone seems to have done that so far.

:D

I was the third one in this morning to get my pic signed and he was friendly and polite and we had a little joke at the photgraphers expense when we had a picture later on.

I can only say my point of view and found him to be great, the opportunity to meet him twice and have a picture was memorable and has made a boyhood wish come true so from that point of view i thank all of showmasters for setting this up.

Totally disagree.

I didnt start this thread and the purpose of a forum is to air your opinions (within the rules) and everyone seems to have done that so far.

:D

And I'm just responding with my opinion on how I feel about attendees not respecting a guest's decision.

I was the third one in this morning to get my pic signed and he was friendly and polite and we had a little joke at the photgraphers expense when we had a picture later on.

I can only say my point of view and found him to be great, the opportunity to meet him twice and have a picture was memorable and has made a boyhood wish come true so from that point of view i thank all of showmasters for setting this up.

^^^ THIS!!!

I agree, contrary to the majority of the posts on this thread, Paul Gascoigne was, and always will be, an absolute gent.

I met him at the photo shoot and have to say he was one of the best I've ever had a photo with. Laughing on the photo, and a great experience to meet. Extremely friendly.

I couldn't get an autograph as well, but I did take a look at his signing area and I was surprised to see the no shirts sign, and I guessed it was probably something that he'd only said on arrival rather than in advance.

The leaving early didn't surprise me though, I kind of expected that to happen.

But as others have said, I arrived half expecting him not to be there at all, so I was very pleased that he had made it, and was thrilled to have the opportunity to have the photo shoot with him.

As a massive football fan it's something I'll always treasure, and I very much appreciate the show for getting him there at all.

• Moderators

As with any guest, everyone will have a different experience, so can we try not to argue with each other? Some people are bound to be disappointed by the decision not to allow shirts, and are well within their rights to express this.

I'm sure SMs will address the situation when they're all done with the event, but as long as it's kept polite and there's no unnecessary bickering, I see no problem with this being raised.

It's an open forum for discussion. Whoever started the topic is well within their rights to do so. (especially if they spent alot of money on a couple of shirts lol)

Agreed :D

I'm just shedding light on the other side of the coin which is that the attendee has every right to decide what item to sign or not to sign and that as guests we should respect that decision.

I have mixed emotions about meeting Paul today. Was totally gutted that he wasn't signing shirts as I had bought a multi signed Italia 90 and Euro 96 Shirt that would have looked amazing with Paul's signature added to them. I respect his decision, feel a bit bemused as he would have made more money from it, and feel sorry for anyone who had forked out on shirts for this and made a trip up for nothing and probably at great expense. I did a photo shoot with Paul and shared a joke with him about wearing his Italia 90 shirt and had one of my best photo shoot pictures with a celeb i've ever had. On reflection im just pleased to have met a boy hood hero of mine and thank showmasters for helping me to do that.

Gazza your a legend.

I had a great experience meeting Paul. He signed my photo with a personalisation, then thanked me by name, and when I said "Thank you very much," he put out his hand so I could shake hands with him. One satisfied customer here!

As I started this topic I must apologise if I have upset anyone. Having bought a Italia 90 and a Gascoigne 8 shirt especially for this event to get signed at great expense I was totally gutted when I was told that he was not signing any shirts. Also the fact that he only attended the event for around 3 hours I also feel pretty let down and hope his fee is based on the time he spent there. Gazza is without doubt one of the most gifted players England have ever produced and it is just a shame that he has had so many problems in his personal life and just hope he can sort out any problems he still has. Once again sorry to have upset anyone but starting this topic.

As I started this topic I must apologise if I have upset anyone. Having bought a Italia 90 and a Gascoigne 8 shirt especially for this event to get signed at great expense I was totally gutted when I was told that he was not signing any shirts. Also the fact that he only attended the event for around 3 hours I also feel pretty let down and hope his fee is based on the time he spent there. Gazza is without doubt one of the most gifted players England have ever produced and it is just a shame that he has had so many problems in his personal life and just hope he can sort out any problems he still has. Once again sorry to have upset anyone but starting this topic.

No need to apologise. You're within your rights to give your views.

It's me who needs to apologise for some of my comments and for being over protective (my excuse is that he is one of my heroes).

Sorry to read that you felt let down.

EDIT: Spelling errors corrected.

Edited by Not_Pennys_Ship

I met Paul at another event a couple of years ago and came away feeling disappointed with my 30 seconds with a guy I idolised. Although he was signing shirts then, he barely acknowledged your presence and even talked on his mobile whilst signing for some young children.

Despite this I was planning on meeting him today, hoping that he was in a better place than before and that my last experience would be wiped from my memories - unfortunately he had already gone by the time I got to MK!!!

I genuinely wish Paul the very best and hope one day he can attend this kind of event and enjoy it.

Never meet your heroes they say, this can be sound advice but in my experience the good times far outweigh the odd negative one.

Isn't this what makes this hobby the interesting and varied one that we all know and love?

Jason

Felt real sorry for the feamle Showmasters assistant I saw, not sure if the same one had responsibility all day, she seemed at her wits end bless her.

I find it a bit comical with the whole shirt thing - more for the fact that I think there was still the option of getting an item (although not shirts) and a photo or similar signed, as the Showmasters lady was tallying off what was what.

Therefore my question is this.

If I had paid a premium to get an item signed, do you think he would have signed a cricket bat for me if asked?

:P

Personally, the fact that Gazza wasn't signing shirts didn't affect us but it was a bit surprising and I feel bad for anyone who wanted a shirt signed.

We were more disappointed with the fact that Paul wasn't doing posed photos when buying an autograph as most other guests were fine with this. We were advised that if you wanted a posed photo then you had to fork out for a photoshoot but we only had half an hour at the event and I've gone off photoshoots again after LFACC (return times).

As it stands, we paid for an autograph and got the shot we wanted along with a cheeky wink and hello.

He wasn't off with us at all and I'm really, really glad we got the chance to meet him and get that all important photo and autograph.

Steve