Guest announcement Skylab 2 and STS 3 Astronaut Jack Lousma

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

We welcome a rare guest this year.

A man who not only flew on Skylab but was also involved with the 3rd Space Shuttle flight.

Jack lousma flew in 1973 on Skylab 2 for 59 days and went on to fly the 3rd space shuttle mission in 1982 STS 3.

Jack will therefore appeal to our shuttle collectors and Apollo alike.

lousma_j.jpg

ap14-S70-55388.jpg

640px-Showering_on_Skylab_-_GPN-2000-001

:D I just can't seem to get excited about shuttle / Skylab folks.

They always seem to be fairly quiet whenever I walk past them too, so it can't just be me.

The tentative link to Apollo 13 makes it slightly more interesting though.

Many thanks to the organisers. A great addition to the show and as stated, a quite rare one too.

We all love the Apollo astronauts, but the Skylab & Shuttle guys are great pioneers too. I'm actually happy

that they seem to be quiet when you approach their desks. I had the opportunity to spend a good length of time chatting to

Bruce,Hoot, Rhea and Greg last time out. This was in sharp contrast to being told I couldn't ask Al Bean a question, as the queue

was too long.

My advice is spend some time with these guys. They have fascinating stories to tell and there importance in space history is every

much as important.

• Like 1

I appreciate that they did some important experiments, and have no doubt some interesting stories to tell.

But circling the earth in effectively a laboratory, just simply isn’t as exciting or as inspiring, as the story of going to the moon.

18Blue both are listed on the 'guest prices' thread

Both are £40 a pop!. These prices are seemingly going up and up!.

Others -> Vance £40 / Al £50

Thanks farmer, no idea how I missed that, my eye sight must be getting worse in my old age.

To be honest £40 is a pretty good price. Yes they did not fly on Apollo but they were involved with NASA at the height of the Apollo program. Plus anyone who straps they selves to the top of a rocket and blast off into space certainly gets my admiration regardless of which mission it was.

• Like 1

My only point was that these guys used to be much cheaper than the Apollo guys. Now even they're creeping up.

Hasn't the previous average price for post-Apollo guests been around £25.

Everybody seemingly now wants a slice of the 'pie'.

Whilst I agree with your post, I'd much rather be strapped to a later rocket / capsule than some of those early ones.

• 4 weeks later...

My only point was that these guys used to be much cheaper than the Apollo guys. Now even they're creeping up.

Hasn't the previous average price for post-Apollo guests been around £25.

Everybody seemingly now wants a slice of the 'pie'.

Whilst I agree with your post, I'd much rather be strapped to a later rocket / capsule than some of those early ones.

You need a different hobby I think, this all appears to be beyond your means. Everywhere I look on the forum you are complaining about price! Edited by phillycheesesteak
  • Like 2

I have no problem paying big bucks for autographs.

Collecting Apollo autographs really isn't a cheap game.

I just want to pay a fair price.

I really can't be bothered to go through the argument on the other thread, but there was some logic to my complaint. Read it all back, and you'll understand.

Edit : To not break the rules.

Edited by farmer

Yes, unfortunately this happens to be an expensive hobby.

However, there is indeed an increase in the price of the autographs across the board - it probably goes with the inflation rate, the passing years and all that.

On the other hand (...I know is not much of a consolation...), the increase isn't as higher as Buzz Aldrin's :smile: