Gold pass "glitch"

Cookie

Basically, i was paying 175 £ to be allowed in -after- almost everybody. See why i felt a bit "annoyed"?

25 minutes we all waited...

And?? As people have said, its not like you needed to run for VQ tickets or talk tickets, and seriously, what would you have done with the extra 25 mins exactly?? Walk around probably, doing exactly the same thing as you would be doing for the best part of the next 6-7 hours, so why oh why does it actually matter? Its just plain snobbery in a "ive got more money than you so I dont deserve to have to wait for something like you mundanes, I want it now *throws toys out of pram*" attitude..

Sorry Steve - I don't agree. Apart from the fact that you shouldn't RUN for anything within the venue :D we are entitled to turn up early and go about our business as we like, same as "mundanes". Some gold passes still arrived an hour before the doors opened - maybe train times, maybe enthusiasm, who knows. I turned up just after ten to nine expecting (I think reasonably) to get straight in to do my "thang". Be that look at props / displays / stalls etc or maybe JOIN queues. Not get VQTs, but JOIN queues. A good thing about the gold pass is getting to be one of the first few to meet a guest - which maximises (if not guarantees) your chances of personalisation / posed pics etc before they get ruled out. Why should I apologise for wanting something I paid for ?

I know you are not a fan of flying, but if someone pays extra for "speedy boarding" on a flight do you want them to sit there and get on with the rest of the passengers ? I can't see the point of wanting speedy boarding, but I will defend to the end that someone can have it if they choose to pay for it.

There is no superiority or snobbery to do with it. We all choose how to spend our own money - some people get nine photoshoots, others get a gold pass. Choice is goooooood ! Not everyone is like you and I, spending all day both days in EC2. Some people want to get in and out asap so they can go home or do other stuff in London, some want to get first pick of dealer bargains, or like I say some want to be among the first to meet a guest. There are dozens of reasons people get gold passes including the fact that it saves you queuing inside and out. The fact that collecting the very instrument that lets you do this creates another queue is definitely very frustrating.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, i was paying 175 £ to be allowed in -after- almost everybody. See why i felt a bit "annoyed"?

25 minutes we all waited...

And?? As people have said, its not like you needed to run for VQ tickets or talk tickets, and seriously, what would you have done with the extra 25 mins exactly?? Walk around probably, doing exactly the same thing as you would be doing for the best part of the next 6-7 hours, so why oh why does it actually matter? Its just plain snobbery in a "ive got more money than you so I dont deserve to have to wait for something like you mundanes, I want it now *throws toys out of pram*" attitude..

Sorry Steve - I don't agree. Apart from the fact that you shouldn't RUN for anything within the venue :D we are entitled to turn up early and go about our business as we like, same as "mundanes". Some gold passes still arrived an hour before the doors opened - maybe train times, maybe enthusiasm, who knows. I turned up just after ten to nine expecting (I think reasonably) to get straight in to do my "thang". Be that look at props / displays / stalls etc or maybe JOIN queues. Not get VQTs, but JOIN queues. A good thing about the gold pass is getting to be one of the first few to meet a guest - which maximises (if not guarantees) your chances of personalisation / posed pics etc before they get ruled out. Why should I apologise for wanting something I paid for ?

I know you are not a fan of flying, but if someone pays extra for "speedy boarding" on a flight do you want them to sit there and get on with the rest of the passengers ? I can't see the point of wanting speedy boarding, but I will defend to the end that someone can have it if they choose to pay for it.

There is no superiority or snobbery to do with it. We all choose how to spend our own money - some people get nine photoshoots, others get a gold pass. Choice is goooooood ! Not everyone is like you and I, spending all day both days in EC2. Some people want to get in and out asap so they can go home or do other stuff in London, some want to get first pick of dealer bargains, or like I say some want to be among the first to meet a guest. There are dozens of reasons people get gold passes including the fact that it saves you queuing inside and out. The fact that collecting the very instrument that lets you do this creates another queue is definitely very frustrating.

Completely agree. I was thinking about buying a gold pass this year . What exactly do you get for your money and is it worth it?

Priority admission, join whatever queue you want without a ticket, straight in to photoshoots, straight into talks - in the first two rows. Free admission to paid for talks (worth £40 on it's own this year), CD of event photos, free (pre-signed) pics from the franchise of your choice (from a list) and an admittedly hit-and-miss goody bag. Oh ... and a sexy laminate to flash at the "mundanes" :D

The Gold Pass is worth the money if there are a lot of guests you want to meet. I didnt get one this year, but I had one at last year's LFCC and it was worth every penny not to have to worry about queuing for the Heroes autographs and being able to get to the front of every photo queue I wanted. This year I wasnt bothered about autographs so it wasn't worth me getting the pass. I also had one for the first Gmex but for that one the guests I'd wanted to meet all cancelled so on that occasion it wasn't worth the money, but I still enjoyed not having to queue.

Well it also covers early admission on both days, so there is another £20 you would be spending anyway. Personally, yes it's worth it. It pretty much guarantees your autos for you and helps you plan your day better. It much reduces the need to be in certain places at certain times, and I sell the pre-signed autos afterwards at our local car boot sale, making more of the money back. Highly recommeded ticket, but I still wish they would sort out the 9am thing for us ....

Well its not like they can go anywhere any quicker is it, they'd still be sat there waiting for others to board, so all their getting is paying extra to sit bored waiting longer really so a waste of extra money.

Same with the gold passes..if your in a rush fair enough, but if you've got all day, theres just no sensible reason imo to spend £175 to do the same as everyone else, just a little faster, and meaning your left bored later on..

Well its not like they can go anywhere any quicker is it, they'd still be sat there waiting for others to board, so all their getting is paying extra to sit bored waiting longer really so a waste of extra money.

Same with the gold passes..if your in a rush fair enough, but if you've got all day, theres just no sensible reason imo to spend £175 to do the same as everyone else, just a little faster, and meaning your left bored later on..

I can't see how you can get bored..... There were plenty of talks, photoshoots and stalls at this one.

I take your point about speedy boarders, but they want to pay an extra fiver to get on the plane, put their luggage in the lockers and get sat down and settled before the masses fight for space. I agree that it's not for me either, but they chose to spend their fiver that way - they are allowed to :D and I applaud their right to choose. And good to see you conceding my point (sort of).

I can't see how you can get bored..... There were plenty of talks, photoshoots and stalls at this one.

It will vary from person to person..personally, of all the talks this year, I planned to see 4, but only ended up actually seeing 1..Missed Jason Mews as was having lunch and didnt realise the time, Alexander siddig was ill so not there, and I did see Patrick Stewart. I did see the beginning of Peter Davidsons but had to leave for a photoshoot after about 10 mins.

Other than them, I simply wasnt interested in any other talks.

Photoshoots cost yet even more money on top of an already expensive weekend (unless gold passes get them included, which as far as I know dont!).

And after the 7-8th time walking another lap around the stalls looking at EXACTLY the same things you had the previous 6-7 times believe me can get very boring and tedious, unless yet again you have a bottomless wallet to spend spend spend! Also, the fact is, the stalls are usually rediculously priced, and you can get a lot of things on sale for much cheaper online.

If Id had a gold pass and had gotten my autos by 10-11am, id have probably ended up leaving for the day out of sheer boredom, as I dont have a bottomless wallet to buy all the photoshoots or buy something from a load of stalls.

As it happened, I met up with friends there who had to wait for their VQ numbers to come up anyway, and with having to wait myself, it gave me a reason to spend all day there chatting to people, and something to actually do!

Do you think its worth the money?

I have attended many conventions and been to LFCC many times. I enjoy the whole day/weekend looking at everything, talks, signings etc... I also get frustrated having to keep checking if my number is up on the VT system and having to plan my day around it all. Given the high number and the high quality of guests I wanted to meet this year. I stumped up the cash and got me a Gold Pass and yes it was worth every penny!!

Even more so as my train was delayed on Saturday (2-3 hour trip in the end took about 5hours) so in normal circumstances this would have thrown my day into chaos!!

When I collected my Gold Pass and autograph set (I choose Heroes, see photo thread for the scans of the autographs I received. I was personally pleased with this pack as I don't have many Heroes 10x8's as I have been getting them to sign my comics).

It appeared the Christopher Lloyd photo shoot was being done in batches, I went and spoken to the crew member asking how it all works he noted I was a GP holder and I just walked straight in front of the queue. I appreciate it may have upset a few people but its part of the privilege that I paid for (that's queue jumping not upsetting people).

Same as no waiting around for my number on VT's and I really enjoyed the talks as I was front row. Granted there may have been a little mix-up at the start of the event (which I missed) but that wouldn't deter me as I would have a mooch around whilst they get there house in order.

If I'd had a gold pass and had gotten my autos by 10-11am, id have probably ended up leaving for the day out of sheer boredom, as I dont have a bottomless wallet to buy all the photoshoots or buy something from a load of stalls.

As it happened, I met up with friends there who had to wait for their VQ numbers to come up anyway, and with having to wait myself, it gave me a reason to spend all day there chatting to people, and something to actually do!

So if you got all your autos by 11am, you couldn't have stayed chatting to friends ? This has to happen sporadically all day ?

:blink::WAVE:

If Id had a gold pass and had gotten my autos by 10-11am, id have probably ended up leaving for the day out of sheer boredom, as I dont have a bottomless wallet to buy all the photoshoots or buy something from a load of stalls.

Sounds like you don't entirely enjoy these events, why don't you pre-order from MSPG? It would save you money, time and moaning on these threads! :blink:

Edited by mightymax

Sounds like you don't entirely enjoy these events, why don't you pre-order from MSPG? It would save you money, time and moaning on these threads! :blink:

What gives you that impression?

Perhaps the person shows up because he wants to meet the actors and possibly have a photo with them. Do MSPG send the actual actors through the post? :WAVE:

So if you got all your autos by 11am, you couldn't have stayed chatting to friends ? This has to happen sporadically all day ?

Pretty much..Most of the people I know kept running off to do various things, or get autos or something, so most of the time I only saw people sporadically anyway and occasionally bumping into others! No point waiting around for another 6-7 hours on the off chance id bump into them again for all of 2 mins when I could be doing something else.

So if I hadnt have needed to stay around for autos and photos on the sat, I would have probably left and spoke to them on the phone/internet as usual.

Thats why I see no reason to rush..rush and its over quick, take your time and get more things done.

Personally im a CONVENTION person, not a signing event person. At conventions theres set things to do, signing events its more get your auto then buy things like shopping, so costs a lot more money to enjoy yourself.

But as Psychosis said, I like to have my photo with the actors, and like to meet them in person. I also see friends who I only get to see at events.

I dont, and wouldnt, pre-order from mspg or similar because im not meeting the person in person, cant get my photo with them, plus why pay £10 more for less of an experience? I like to get my own autos because im fussy like that.

And one more thing, moaning is what I do best :WAVE:

Edited by crippsy_99

The only flights where I've seen "speedy boarding" as a pay option have been on budget airlines with no seat allocation, meaning that speedy boarding gets you first choice of the seats. Since I have pretty long legs, with particularly long thighs, the chance of getting a seat either by an emergency door, (where the distance between seat rows is greater), or where there is a break in the seating (or in row 1) is actually of considerable use. I consider a fiver well worth spending if it means avoiding spending 3 hours wedged into an ordinary seat feeling like my kneecaps may shatter at any point.

Do MSPG send the actual actors through the post? :blink:

Yes, but because they have to cut them up quite small to fit through a letter box, it makes a heck of a mess if the envelope bursts when it hits the doormat; I've been pulling bits of Bernard Cribbins out of my shagpile for weeks... :WAVE:

Do MSPG send the actual actors through the post? :WAVE:

Yes, but because they have to cut them up quite small to fit through a letter box, it makes a heck of a mess if the envelope bursts when it hits the doormat; I've been pulling bits of Bernard Cribbins out of my shagpile for weeks... :P

LOL :blink: At least Your postie doesn't do what mine does, and leave your goods on the doorstep. What if his parts had run away?!

I'm considering getting a gold pass for next year as I do suffer with a bad back. I had it all weekend and still have it now. My boyfriend suffers with his calf. We brought stools with us this year for waiting outside, but they weren't all that comfortable. Also we found we were tired in the evenings from waking up really early in the mornings to queue.